MMP trail work- Mtbr.com

Thread: MMP trail work

mtbr member

MMP trail work

Over the years of heavy use and heavy rains some areas of the competative loops have become erroded. I have been working with Rand Hubbell (Park Supervisor at MMP) to schedule some volunteer work days for trail maintenance and repair. The idea is to get the trails in primo condition prior to the Dust Devil and 24 Hour events coming up in Novemmber. We have chosen the dates listed below in an attempt to avoid competing bike related events and could the help of as many volunteers as possible. Here is the information that I have so far. I will update this post as the dates get closer.

Dates:

Saturday, 9/27/2008 7 am - 12

Saturday, 10/18/2008 7 am - 12

There will be a short pre work meeting by park staff to go over trail work proceedures and safety. Tools will be loaded into the park's atv and distributed to the various group work sites. You can hike or ride to the work sites. Some of the areas will be adjacent to the paved road from Fountain Hills and the east side of the trails and will be mapped out to access from the road.

What to bring: Hat, sun screen, work gloves, plenty of water and any trail works tools that you have (McCleod, mattock, shovel, clippers, tree saw etc.). The park will provide as many tools as they have but they do not currently have enough for a large volunteer group.

Work scope: The focus of the trail work is to repair damage to the trails from erosion. We will be correcting trail camber to facilitated proper drainage, adding some rolling grade drains and armoring some areas where natural drainage crossed the trail. The intent to is repair damage and correct some drainage issues that have resulted in deep ruts linear with the trail. We will not be sanatizing the trail. In fact we will make every effort to enhance some of the challenging natural features of the trails.

I will be riding the trails and mapping out the work areas prior to the work days. I am also attempting to secure some sponsors to provide snacks, drinks and possibly lunch for after the work session. Please mark these dates on your calendar and invite (or shame) as many as possible to participate. The county parks have provided us with some excellent trails to enjoy and have future plans to add many miles to the existing network. This is an opportunity for us to say thank you and to have some valuable input an trail design and trail features.

livin' the dream......
    Alan,

Thanks for stepping up and getting this information out. I will see if I can make at least one of these sessions. I love riding out there and will do what I can to assist.

meow
    Ditto, and I'll round up some other like riders who'd love to help out.

mtbr member

Update

I spoke to Rand today and he mentioned that anyone one that volunteers for the trail work on either day will get into the park without paying the $6 per vehicle entry fee. Just meet at the comp loop TH and he will have passes there.

Also, I plan on contacting MBAA to find out how to qualify the trail work for race series points.

All three of the competative loops are in dire need of maintenance and repair. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Please post or PM me if you plan on attending either or both days so I have a rough idea of the number of volunteers.

mtbr member

Bump/Update

I will begin mapping, marking and planning for the 9/27 trail work session this weekend. Anyone that would like to join me is welcome. I will be using the GPS and camera to create a map of the work areas.

For those that would like to see the comp loops "enhanced", that is part of the plan. This IS NOT a sanitizing project. Participate in the planning and share your ideas. Some bermed corners, jump options, large embedded rocks are in the plan. We want these trails to be fun to ride, not a road race on dirt.

Chunky Monkey

Updates

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    I will begin mapping, marking and planning for the 9/27 trail work session this weekend. Anyone that would like to join me is welcome. I will be using the GPS and camera to create a map of the work areas.

For those that would like to see the comp loops "enhanced", that is part of the plan. This IS NOT a sanitizing project. Participate in the planning and share your ideas. Some bermed corners, jump options, large embedded rocks are in the plan. We want these trails to be fun to ride, not a road race on dirt.
    Alan,

Thanks for this. Please keep the updates coming, especially the closer it gets to the work dates, that way I will not plan anything else.

Thx,

John

******ed or Branded??
    What day are you doing the mapping this weekend? If it is on a sunday I would like to come out and help. I will see about trying to get out there on saturday also!

I am Walt
    We want these trails to be fun to ride, not a road race on dirt.
    That would be awesome, but then 3/4 of the field wouldn't want to show up for the MBAA races...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    What day are you doing the mapping this weekend? If it is on a sunday I would like to come out and help. I will see about trying to get out there on saturday also!
    I will be heading out Saturday morning. Not sure what time yet. I will post later today or Thursday am

mtbr member

Update

For those that have expressed an interest in a pre-trailwork scouting ride, I will be out at the comp loops this Saturday at 8 am. I will be riding the outer loop stopping to mark waypoints on my GPS where the trail is damaged and taking photos and notes. This means it will be a slow ride with lots of stopping, evaluating and planning for the repair/maintenance session. This may appear to be overkill but I am expecting (hoping for) a large group of volunteers for 9/27 and want to be as preparred and organized as possible.

All that want to join me are welcome, it will be a good time to preview the damage up close and have input on the repairs and "enhancements". If we have time there are a couple of very large holes on the sport and tech loops that need to be filled in before someone gets lost in there. We at least need to drop a rope into the hole so that they can get back out.

8 am comp loop parking area
    pull straight in and park near the metal gate to the service road
    I drive a black GMC Envoy

mtbr member

Reminder

Dates: Saturday 9/27 and 10/18
    Time: Meet at TH at 7am work until noon
    Where: McDowell Mtn Park, competitive loops

This maintenance/repair/enhancement effort is a result of years of heavy use and recent heavy rains over the summer. Erosion has damaged several areas of the trails. Corrective action will include adding positive camber to eroded areas, installing rolling grade drains and enhancing the trail with some large embedded rocks and steps. The main focus for the first session will be the outer loop. Some rerouting and the addition of alternate lines are in the planning stages for the not too distant future.
    >>
    In addition to the trail maintenance I have been talking to Rand regarding the possibility of building a small bike skills park near the competitive loops. He is very receptive the idea and would like to design a pump track and small table top jumps as the first stage of this project. Of course all of this would be subject to approval by County Parks managers but this is a good start. When the Pemberton night ride was first proposed they said no. Persistence paid off.
    >>
    The more that we, as a group, participate and volunteer, the better the chances for getting park improvements. Let’s not forget that the county parks are the only place where we have mountain bike specific trails where there are no user conflicts. Where else do you see a sign at the trailhead that says “YIELD TO SPEED” rather than yield to hikers, equestrians etc.?

Note: If you plan on participating in the trail maintenance effort, the park entrance fee of $6 is waived for the day. This is for trail maintenance volunteers only. Tools will be dropped at various work areas by the park staff. You can ride to the work areas and then complete the loop when the work session is complete.
    >>

I am Walt

Suggestion...

Hey Alan...I'll be out of town this weekend, but here's a thought for Rand: In addition to the trail work, he could go a long way towards helping the long-term condition of the trails by running them in reverse for one week/weekend per month. That was great when it was done earlier this year, and I had heard he was considering it on a more regular basis. The contra-flow will help smooth out all of the spots that get trashed by all the one-way riding.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

More updates

Global Bikes called me today after hearing about this maintenance session. They generously offered to provide lunch for all of the volunteers. With this in mind it would be a good idea to get an aprox head count so that they are prepared.

Walt, Rand has mentioned the possibility of reversing the direction of the comp loops periodically. It makes sence from a trail wear and tear standpoint and just for mixing it up a little.

livin' the dream......
    I enjoyed the reverse loops as well, it would be good to put that into practice again at least once a quarter, if not once a month.

I am 80% in for this saturday, still working out the weekend family schedule. Won't know until Friday for sure.

Air Sucker
    I was out there with Alan on Saturday and learned that the stopping and starting takes more water than just riding straight through.
    You may want to bring:
    Extra water
    Extra tools

A Big Thank You for Alan, Rand for putting this together and Global Bikes for offering to feed the help.
    Everyone keeps touting support your LBS, how about a LBS that supports US
    Just a bald guy biking the blubber away

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

A few suggestions:

Dates: Saturday 9/27 and 10/18
    Time: Meet at TH at 7am work until noon
    Where: McDowell Mtn Park, competitive loops

This maintenance/repair/enhancement effort is a result of years of heavy use and recent heavy rains over the summer. Erosion has damaged several areas of the trails. Corrective action will include adding positive camber to eroded areas, installing rolling grade drains and enhancing the trail with some large embedded rocks and steps. The main focus for the first session will be the outer loop. Some rerouting and the addition of alternate lines are in the planning stages for the not too distant future.
    >>
    In addition to the trail maintenance I have been talking to Rand regarding the possibility of building a small bike skills park near the competitive loops. He is very receptive the idea and would like to design a pump track and small table top jumps as the first stage of this project. Of course all of this would be subject to approval by County Parks managers but this is a good start. When the Pemberton night ride was first proposed they said no. Persistence paid off.
    >>
    The more that we, as a group, participate and volunteer, the better the chances for getting park improvements. Let’s not forget that the county parks are the only place where we have mountain bike specific trails where there are no user conflicts. Where else do you see a sign at the trailhead that says “YIELD TO SPEED” rather than yield to hikers, equestrians etc.?

Note: If you plan on participating in the trail maintenance effort, the park entrance fee of $6 is waived for the day. This is for trail maintenance volunteers only. Tools will be dropped at various work areas by the park staff. You can ride to the work areas and then complete the loop when the work session is complete.

Alan,

First I would suggest PMing one of the Mods around here and asking them to make this a sticky.

That should keep this thread at the top for better exposure (the more people that know the more people that are likely to come out and support this trail work at MMP)

Second I would make this about the trail work and not the riding. Consider these factors:
    If I'm riding I'm going to dress differently than if I'm doing trail work, i.e., different shoes for riding and trail work, different shorts, different hats, different gloves, etc.

Also my water needs for riding and doing trail work are much different. I believe one of the other posters mentioned this. (You could have Gobal Bikes bring a cooler full of cold drinking water and snacks to the work site.)

Some workers may not want to ride their bikes to the location where the trail work will be done. It might be best to arrange some method to shuttle the workers to the location where the trail work will be performed.

I wouldn't suggest having people parking along the road (some spots along the road are restricted parking and the Sheriff's Dept. will ticket, i.e., parking the the wash is a $75 ticket)

By noon, when this trail work event is scheduled to end I'm guessing it will be somewhere close to 100 degrees or more in the sun. After swinging a pick axe for a few hours I will be too tired to ride my bike back to my car (a shuttle ride back to the parking area when the event ends would be helpful).

I understand the $6 admission to the park is waived for the trail workers for that day, however, I believe if the park gave away a free pass for another random day to each of the trail workers that would a little more incentive to support this event. (none of it really helps an annual pass holder, but whatever)

I think some of these suggestions could allow this event to be more productive and generate additional support for future events (like some kind of swag give away for trail workers, or a pancake breakfast or something)

As far as head count for Sat. my wife and I will be there.

Air Sucker
    Some good ideas but not very pratical in the long run.

There are a few areas where people could be dropped off but this entire trail is single track so it isn't easy to shuttle people.

The park will deliver tools on their ATVs but they cant shuttle people on ATVS.

Bring water, work hard, have fun, be part of the crew that makes a difference.

See you all Saturday

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member
    GH,

Some areas are accessible by the park service roads and some are not. The park will provide shuttle rides to cactus corner, other areas will be better accessed by bike. I met with Rand this morning and we previewed some of the work areas with his staff and volunteers. They will be dropping tools and water at the work areas.

This event is NOT about a ride, it IS about trail work. I do not know where you got that impression. Some areas are simply easier to access by bike and some, but obviously not all, would rather ride to teh work area and complete the loop when the work is done.

If some folks feel they need extra incentive to show up, I will give them $6 out of my own pocket to get into the park at a latter date. As for me, I am volunteering because the trails are in dire need of maintenance and repair. I enjoy riding there and appresiate that the park has these trails available to us. This is my way of saying thank you to the park and at the same time enhancing the trails that I ride and enjoy.

Look forward to seeing you out there. I appreciate each and every volunteer that takes the time to show up and help out. Between Rand and myself, we are making every effort to properly organize this event but I guarantee that some things we will look back on that could have been better.

It will be hot Saturday, we plan on stopping earlie enough to be back at the parking area by noon for lunch.

Air Sucker
    Don't Forget, Tomorrow be at the comp loops at McDowell at 7:00 AM for some fun and some much needed trail work.

Hope to see you there

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I enjoyed the reverse loops as well, it would be good to put that into practice again at least once a quarter, if not once a month.

I am 80% in for this saturday, still working out the weekend family schedule. Won't know until Friday for sure.
    Sorry Alan, no go for me tomorrow. The 20% screwed up my 80%............

Air Sucker
    Wow, Great day of work out at the comp loops. We had 18 people + 2 camp hosts and rand (who works for the park).
    We were able to send out 3 teams to hit the big stuff.
    We fixed the trail in front of the big step on the long loop,
    Cactus corner has been completely re-done and the dangerous areas by the clay pit on the sport loop were all taken care of.
    Global bikes not only provided lunch, they worked on Cactus Corner, and brought out some Specialized test bikes for us to play with.

Thank you to all of the people that were involved. For those who were unable to make it, we will be out there again on October 18.

I took some pics of Cactus corner and lunch attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

Air Sucker
    Just a couple more pics from Cactus Corner
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member
    Nice Pic of Cactus Rod working hard but what's he looking at.

mtbr member

Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you to all who volunteered witht eh trail work on Saturday, the staff and hosts at MMP and a huge thank you to Global bikes for providing lunch and pst work refreshments. We made some excellent progress and knocked out a couple of key areas. Rode the long loop twice today and all of the worked areas ride very well. Due to the heavy work that was performed at Cactus Corner it is a little "sanitary right know. I plan on adding some embedded rock and other features, mother nature will take care of the rest.

Next weekend I will most likely start planning for the Oct 18th session. There is some more work to do at Cactus corner and several other areas that need repair.

Also, someone left a Camelback water bottle behind. I have it at my house. I can either leave it at the MMP visiters center or meet up with you to return it - PM me.

Air Sucker
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider
    Nice Pic of Cactus Rod working hard but what's he looking at.
    The ground. He is using a tamper to pack the dirt into the rocks we used to fill the gorge in the trail.
    Either that or he was taking a nap, I don't remember.

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member

Update

The first trail maintenance day is THIS SATURDAY, 9/26/2009 from 9 am until noon. There will be a night ride on the Pemberton trail that same night so bring your bike and lights. I have some of the work areas laid out and most of it is maintenance to correct errosion and wear. I will be meeting with Rand on Friday to discuss a "special project" and if he approves we will start work on it Saturday as well.

The next trail work date may be moved from 10/17 to 10/24 to avoid conflicts with BCT trail work and an event in Tucson. This will be the BIG event with a night ride on the competative loops the night before, camp in the comp loop trailhead lot and trail work on Saturday. If we can get most of the maintenance completed in September there is a chance that we can start work on the pump track in October.

We need some sponsors. In order to have a park sponsored night ride they require that Kachina rescue be present. The cost for Kachina is $375.00. To dat I have part of that covered. If there are any businesses that would be interested in chipping in that would be helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0