Mike Vandeman in Scottsdale!- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Mike Vandeman in Scottsdale!

I couldnt believe our blessings when I saw it in our own little hometown paper. Wasnt sure to ask for an autograph, or his opinion on Lime Bikes!

https://www.scottsdaleindependent.co...regional-park/
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

IPA tester
    I wonder if he's going to attack any riders like he has done and been convicted in the bay area ?
    Certified wack job.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Woah...

Would definitely ask for the autograph. Maybe get him to sharpie your bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    He is still in the bay area.... due to his court order restrictions he can only spew his hate in the comments sections of random articles online... what a tool.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

dirt visionary
    wow just wow
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

My other ride is your mom
    His FAQ link is classic....is that typed up on an actual typewriter?

Meatbomb
    Who?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Who?
    I thought anyone who's been a forum member since 2004 would know of Mike.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Who?
    Google his name and find out what a certified nut case he is. Sad to think that someone has nothing better to do in life than to be this hateful all the time. Searching out local articles to post up his BS. Pretty sad and demented.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    The comment is cut and paste bs, just about word for word the same as every other comment I've seen from him. Is he just "phoning in" the hate now like a Vandeman bot?
    Veni vidi velo!

Meatbomb
    Must be missing something.. The link in the OP is about the Cactus Cup coming back.....I'll do some googling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Read the comments......

Rent this space for $
    It never changes with that douchenozzle.

Recently a 12-year-old girl DIED during her very first mountain biking lesson! Another became quadriplegic at 13! Serious accidents and even deaths are commonplace.
    Is that the same "recent" 12 y/o girl that we've been hearing about for the last 6+ years or is it a new 12 y/o girl? I know they're dropping like dead flies all over the place but I'm just looking for some clarification.

Meatbomb
    I never read comments. They are typically full of douche bags.

As is true in this case..... that guy is a real douche.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 03-03-2019 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    His views are pretty extreme.

I wonder what he thinks of people hiking with pointy ended hiking sticks?
    Those things can really rip up a trail, particularly in fragile alpine settings.

I probably feel the same way about people using sharp ended hiking poles, particularly two at a time, as Vandeman feels about mountain bikes. Okay, probably not the exact same way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I wonder what he thinks of people hiking with pointy ended hiking sticks?
    Those things can really rip up a trail, particularly in fragile alpine settings.
    I've wondered what the bike haters think about those. You see two lines of holes now on any popular wilderness trail from hiking poles. I doubt the mental gymnastics they go through to disparage bikes lets them look at those the same way though. Hikers are, after all, out to enjoy some solitude and isolation in nature and not to destroy it in their selfish pursuit of thrills like those evil mountain bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I wonder if he's going to attack any riders like he has done and been convicted in the bay area ?
    I would love to see him attack someone with a hand saw in AZ. With self defense laws as they are in AZ I think it would end a lot differently for him than it did in the Bay Area.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I would love to see him attack someone with a hand saw in AZ. With self defense laws as they are in AZ I think it would end a lot differently for him than it did in the Bay Area.
    So you think the law in CA doesn't allow one to defend themselves from attack?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No Kalifornia laws don't allow proper self defense, in my opinion. One of the many reasons the good people are leaving in droves.

Rent this space for $
    It's simple. In the situation that evdog alludes to, much, if not most, of California would have the victim considered a criminal if they were prepared to defend themselves as such. There are few and becoming fewer, locales that would allow for someone to "legally" carry in this state.

mtbr member
    I always understood AZ was more permissive in use of force in self defense.

That and I've never seen anyone carrying in CA. See it quite often in AZ.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm sorry, we just changed from self defense to killing him with a handgun? You appear to have made that jump. I know you didn't expressly say that, but by taking issue with my post, it appears you want free reign to use any means? I was speaking of self defense, where the force necessary to repel someone is relative to the attack, so you are absolutely free to punch him in the face or whatever, but if he's coming at you with a tiny tree saw, blowing him away with your .45 probably isn't the right thing to do, in the eyes of the law or morally. If you tried that stunt even in AZ, chances are you'd at least face civil suits, not that it'd be impossible for you to come out ok, but you'd have to be a frail old lady unable to move with the fear of being stranded and bleeding to death in the 110° heat for that to likely make sense. The degree of physical injury, risk of it, and other factors are probably what'd come into play here. Old crazy man runs at me with a tree saw, I'm going to clock him if I have to or throw my bike at him or turn around and just ride away or grab a branch or throw my pack at him and then tackle him, etc. Old crazy man comes at me with a significant blade, well that may be a totally different set of circumstances.

Proper self defense doesn't automatically=killing someone. That's a pretty sick jump for anyone to make, but it appears to have been made in this thread. I'm all for using deadly force if it's necessary, but to automatically assume that we should just blow away anyone without considering the actual extent of the threat is ridiculous, that's the kind of person that shouldn't own a firearm. The CC courses involve multiple scenarios where bad things happen and you don't draw and gun someone down, because once you fire, you can't take it back. So in summary, if deadly force is necessary, no problem, CA and AZ will support you, but if not, you deserve everything bad comes to you as a result. If it was around here, I'd have some bear spray anyway, works great on all sorts of animals.

Meatbomb
    Make sure to empty your weapon... it shows an on going fear for your life... Double tap center mass and it will not go well...

mtbr member
    I never said shooting him would be justified. But how is someone going to react if they suddenly get charged by a crazy guy with a hand saw? And that person happens to be carrying a gun? Justified or not, if this happens often enough eventually someone is going to pull the trigger. My point was just that I think that is more likely to happen in AZ than in the bay area.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I never said shooting him would be justified. But how is someone going to react if they suddenly get charged by a crazy guy with a hand saw? And that person happens to be carrying a gun? Justified or not, if this happens often enough eventually someone is going to pull the trigger. My point was just that I think that is more likely to happen in AZ than in the bay area.
    if a guy came at me with a handsaw, I'd hit him with my handsaw, toss em off the camber, hit him with a cactus, and then put it on YouTube. I'd build my following, transition that into some re-shared amateur model pics, make millions, and retire. thank you Mike Vandemann, internet star-maker!

slower than you

shun the frumious Vandersnatch!

"Vandeman was an aggressive and combative hater of all things mountain bike from the very beginning of our sport. And, once he found the Internet, he let his disgust be known, often in terribly pugnacious ways, all over mountain bike-related Usenet groups. Vandeman engaged vociferously and condescendingly with anyone who tried to debate him and commonly wrote long, contentious, purportedly factual posts about how much of an assault mountain bikers were on the environment and on the experience of other trail users, too. He prided himself on knowing far more about these issues than anyone else and commonly touted his Ph.D as evidence of his elevated intellect. To my knowledge, over the course of many, many years standing in opposition to mountain bikers, Vandeman never admitted defeat, never stood down, never failed to submit yet another long, curmudgeonly reply to a given argument. There was no winning in a debate against Mike Vandeman's bloviations. He never conceded, never relented, until his victims wandered away, exhausted and befuddled.

Vandeman was put on trial in 2011 for six counts of assault and battery against a group of mountain bikers who he encountered using restricted trails near his home in northern California. According to one website, "On 11 April [2011] in Oakland in California he was sentenced to thirty days on a Sheriff’s Work Party... Since he [had] already spent eight days in a cell on remand, he [served] 22 days."

RockyChrysler.com: 04/14/17
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

I'll only add that Mike V. should be rebutted at every opportunity as he spews his special brand of hate and misinformation across the www.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    I'll only add that Mike V. should be rebutted at every opportunity as he spews his special brand of hate and misinformation across the www.
    people like that deserve snark, nothing more.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    The post that followed his layout but mocked it the entire time was brilliant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Yep, there is no arguing with zealots.
    Veni vidi velo!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    The post that followed his layout but mocked it the entire time was brilliant.
    I liked the guys post who said "show me on the doll where the mountain bike hurt you" Haha I, internet gold.

Also thank you for your post about the jump between self defense and pulling out a gun. Californians are well within their rights to defend themselves when attacked. People are not leaving in droves because they cannot conceal carry. I wish the gun lovers would recognize that not everyone wants to own a gun, nor do they need to.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Meatbomb
    A lot of Cali people are moving to Arizona due to cheaper housing.... And driving our home prices up. We need to build a wall