Met Up with the FS to Move the Chuck Wagon Process Forward- Mtbr.com
    banned

Met Up with the FS to Move the Chuck Wagon Process Forward

Today I met up with Justin to determine several re-routes on the current Chuck Wagon alignment to avoid several archeological sites. After several hours of bushwacking Justin and I were able to come up with three different re-routes to help bring Chuck Wagon into a system status.

The goal is to keep the general character of the trail the same as the current alignment by providing more sustainability then the existing trail and avoiding the archeological sites. The reroutes will consist of significant brushing compared to the existing trail and there will also be some benching and significant rock removal on several steep sections that have a very rocky surface.

The realignment process is going to take a significant amount of work and since it won't be starting until November I am assuming it won't be completed before the New Year unless there is significant help from volunteers.

Fortunately, the current alignment will stay operational during the re-routing process so those who enjoy the trail as it currently exists will be able to continue riding it. Part of the goal in making the new alignment will be to incorporate a new segment to allow hikers to hook Chuck Wagon up with the Brims Mesa trail which is in the Wilderness.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Excellent news. Thanks for helping to make it happen. Such a great trail and win win not to lose it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Excellent news. Thanks for helping to make it happen. Such a great trail and win win not to lose it.
    Rock:

It was interesting meeting up with Justin on the first reroute section. Apparently there was someone out there recently taking his marking tape down. I guess some people are very protective of their play areas.

I didn't think it would have been the mountain biking crowd, but we will see if they get taken down again.

I have been trying to put some distance markers in the Aerie trail area to let people know how far it is to certain trail intersections. Some of those marking are getting scraped off by some motivated individual. It will be interesting how persistent they will be in the future.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Today I met up with Justine to determine several re-routes on the current Chuck Wagon alignment to avoid several archeological sites. After several hours of bushwacking Justine and I were able to come up with three different re-routes to help bring Chuck Wagon into a system status.

The goal is to keep the general character of the trail the same as the current alignment by providing more sustainability then the existing trail and avoiding the archeological sites. The reroutes will consist of significant brushing compared to the existing trail and there will also be some benching and significant rock removal on several steep sections that have a very rocky surface.

The realignment process is going to take a significant amount of work and since it won't be starting until November I am assuming it won't be completed before the New Year unless there is significant help from volunteers.

Fortunately, the current alignment will stay operational during the re-routing process so those who enjoy the trail as it currently exists will be able to continue riding it. Part of the goal in making the new alignment will be to incorporate a new segment to allow hikers to hook Chuck Wagon up with the Brims Mesa trail which is in the Wilderness.

TD
    Are "Justin" and "Justine" the same person?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Rock:

It was interesting meeting up with Justin on the first reroute section. Apparently there was someone out there recently taking his marking tape down. I guess some people are very protective of their play areas.

I didn't think it would have been the mountain biking crowd, but we will see if they get taken down again.

I have been trying to put some distance markers in the Aerie trail area to let people know how far it is to certain trail intersections. Some of those marking are getting scraped off by some motivated individual. It will be interesting how persistent they will be in the future.

TD
    Maybe it's these "newcomers" putting their stamp on the place
    Trails | OTE Sports

Huffy Rider
    Since Gunslinger is very near Chuckwagon, might it be adopted? What does the forest service say about the gate/fence on Gunslinger? Are we allowed access thru that gate? I like the loop that those trails make to Mescal, great views and fun trails.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Since Gunslinger is very near Chuckwagon, might it be adopted? What does the forest service say about the gate/fence on Gunslinger? Are we allowed access thru that gate? I like the loop that those trails make to Mescal, great views and fun trails.
    mc:

One would only hope GS would be adopted sometime in the future, but it isn't even on the list to look at yet. The FS doesn't even talk about the gate/fence section and I doubt they even want to get involved with it. With the current fairly new routing it really isn't an issue unless someone likes the old route better.

Have you taken the newer route yet? Someone put blue tape on it, I wonder if they took it off one section and moved it to the GS re-route. There was some fresh horse poo on GS, so it is definitely being used by the horse crowd.

TD

Huffy Rider
    I have not taken the newer route. Where does it start? Near the gate? or near the old jeep road/lookout at Earls cabin? Will I be able to see it clearly? I plan to ride it in the next week or so, I will let you all know what I think of the "newer" route once I get to ride it.

banned
    I have not taken the newer route. Where does it start? Near the gate? or near the old jeep road/lookout at Earls cabin? Will I be able to see it clearly? I plan to ride it in the next week or so, I will let you all know what I think of the "newer" route once I get to ride it.
    Does this help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Met Up with the FS to Move the Chuck Wagon Process Forward-gunslinger.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's no minor reroute. It's entirely on the other side of Dry Creek.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    That's no minor reroute. It's entirely on the other side of Dry Creek.
    Rock;

You are amazing. I wonder how many people could figure that out so quickly. It even has some blue masking tape on it now.

TD

Huffy Rider
    Yeah, I think that helps. Is it very clear where to turn left onto the new re-route if there are no blue markers? I can't wait to try it out!

banned
    Yeah, I think that helps. Is it very clear where to turn left onto the new re-route if there are no blue markers? I can't wait to try it out!
    There are a few bike tracks taking riders to the right before the final wash crossing. If you take one of those false spurs you will need to backtrack to the actual alignment.

TD

mtbr member
    Which trail was it that the FS recently closed down? I heard that soon after closing, they
    were trying to catch riders on this closed section to ticket them.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    Which trail was it that the FS recently closed down? I heard that soon after closing, they
    The Earl's Cabin loop which is in wilderness. It starts just past the cabin (at the end of CW) and is now signed as such at both ends.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    EP:

Gunslinger has taken the pressure off riding Earl's Loop. Chuck Wagon ends at the top of the photo which is where the Wilderness boundary starts and the Earl's (loop) trail begins.

In the photo it looks like the golf course is also touching the Wilderness boundary. I wonder what the rule is when a golfer hits a ball into the wilderness? I am sure they don't allow golf carts out there.

Before Gunslinger was born CW was always an out and back. It was a fun trail both directions and the end of the trail was always a pretty cool section. Especially during heavy rainy periods when water is running down Dry Creek because you could ride the red slickrock creek bed for several hundred yards in a couple inches of water.

It will be interesting if Earl's attracts equestrians in the future. When friend's come to town and are looking for a different cool hike I take them up Earl's from a parking spot near Earl's Cabin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Met Up with the FS to Move the Chuck Wagon Process Forward-gunslinger.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the update and for all you do for Mtn Bike community!

Dan