Memorial W/E riding in Flagstaff...- Mtbr.com
    pedaller

Memorial W/E riding in Flagstaff...

What a great weekend riding the trails on Mt. Elden in Flag. Here are some pics (I hope) of our ride on Saturday. We did a 22+ mile loop that consisted of riding up Schutlz, up Little Gnarly, up Upper Brookbank, up Sunset, down Little Bear, up Little Elden, up Weatherford, down Ricochet and down Schultz. Whew! What a great place to ride and a great bunch of people to ride with...

1) ScottN cleans a log on Ricochet Trail
    2) Vato cruises through the aspens on Ricochet Trail
    3) Tom from Prescott riding along Little Bear
    4) Craig from New Mexico on Little Gnarly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Noelg; 06-01-2004 at 08:10 PM.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Saucy Size

They're calling it "Ricochet" now?

One of these days I'm gonna do up a map of all the names people call all the secret trails up there.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

pedaller

very well then...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    One of these days I'm gonna do up a map of all the names people call all the secret trails up there.

p.
    Then they would no longer be "secret" trails now would they???

I borrowed the name "Ricochet" from one of Epicrider's maps of the area. I think it's also called "Lookout" trail. It's the trail that connects to the top of the Weatherford trail and drops back down to Schultz.

With the temps above 100 down here, it was nice to be able to enjoy some cool riding in the mtns. I hope to get to ride up there a few more times this year before they decide to close down the forest. Something tells me that won't be long from now....

Fragile - must be Italian

Hey we ran into your group

I was up in Flag on Saturday with 2 friends who know Kathleen (DurtGirl): Jay Rapson and George Begin. They also seemed to know a few others in the RideAZ group.

We were bombing down Little Bear on Saturday afternoon (maybe 3'ish) and ran smack into your group. I must have passed 5-8 riders in your group on Little Bear before running into the rest of your group waiting at the bottom of the Little Bear trail. I was on a bright blue Giant NRS Air. In fact, somebody in your group had a bike very similar to mine and I yelled "Nice bike" as I passed him on Little Bear.

What bike do you ride? Do you remember running into us?

It sounds like your day was as fun as ours. We actually got 2 rides in that day. The first ride was at 9AM. We went up the Elden Pass road to the top, across the Ridge trail, then down Sunset to the parking lot, and then down Schultz Creek Trail to the bottom.

The second ride was at about 1PM. We went UP Schultz Creek trail, up Sunset to Little Bear, down Little Bear (that's where we ran into you), up another trail to the parking lot, and then down Schultz Creek to the bottom.

The total ride time for both rides was about 4 hours and change. We rode 32 miles according to our computers (we got a few extra miles in by riding back down and up Schultz Creek trail in the afternoon looking for some people).

Sorry if I don't have all the trail names correct. I don't go up to Flag all that often so I never remember all of the names of the trails.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Then they would no longer be "secret" trails now would they???

I borrowed the name "Ricochet" from one of Epicrider's maps of the area. I think it's also called "Lookout" trail. It's the trail that connects to the top of the Weatherford trail and drops back down to Schultz.

With the temps above 100 down here, it was nice to be able to enjoy some cool riding in the mtns. I hope to get to ride up there a few more times this year before they decide to close down the forest. Something tells me that won't be long from now....
    Pish. As if they were "secret" now. More than half of them have been published on paper (that new tyvek full-color map), and the rest are on Dale's maps ON THE INTERNET. Cat's out of the bag.

I know "Ricochet" as both Lookout and Hotshot.

p.

Skinny legged XC geek

Wrong

p.
    Translation, the people riding behind you trying to pass were yelling at you, "Lookout, Hotshot!" They weren't calling out trail names.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I was up in Flag on Saturday with 2 friends who know Kathleen (DurtGirl): Jay Rapson and George Begin. They also seemed to know a few others in the RideAZ group.
    You mean Durtgurl on here. She didn't make it up but we managed w/o her

We were bombing down Little Bear on Saturday afternoon (maybe 3'ish) and ran smack into your group. I must have passed 5-8 riders in your group on Little Bear before running into the rest of your group waiting at the bottom of the Little Bear trail. I was on a bright blue Giant NRS Air. In fact, somebody in your group had a bike very similar to mine and I yelled "Nice bike" as I passed him on Little Bear.

I ride a green '99 Stumpy FSR-XC. I remember some guys on Little Bear. In fact this might be a pic of one from your group. (see attached) I took it on Little Bear and don't know who it is.

It sounds like your day was as fun as ours. We actually got 2 rides in that day. The first ride was at 9AM. We went up the Elden Pass road to the top, across the Ridge trail, then down Sunset to the parking lot, and then down Schultz Creek Trail to the bottom.

The second ride was at about 1PM. We went UP Schultz Creek trail, up Sunset to Little Bear, down Little Bear (that's where we ran into you), up another trail to the parking lot, and then down Schultz Creek to the bottom.
    That other trail would be two trails actually - first Little Elden, then the bottom of Sunset to the trailhead before bombing down Schultz.

Is this one of your riders....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    Translation, the people riding behind you trying to pass were yelling at you, "Lookout, Hotshot!" They weren't calling out trail names.
    Sounds about right! And I was wondering why they called those other trails "Go Faster" and "Dumbass".

p.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Obviously I didn't get any pics of myself but BrainC posted some pics on the Passion page. Here's the link:

Memorable Flagstaff pix & pix

I'm in the pictures that have ZERO difficulty regarding the rider's ability
    (4th pic in the 1st group & 2nd pic in the 2nd group of pics)
    Last edited by Noelg; 06-02-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Fragile - must be Italian

Nope - not one of ours

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    You mean Durtgurl on here. She didn't make it up but we managed w/o her

I ride a green '99 Stumpy FSR-XC. I remember some guys on Little Bear. In fact this might be a pic of one from your group. (see attached) I took it on Little Bear and don't know who it is.

That other trail would be two trails actually - first Little Elden, then the bottom of Sunset to the trailhead before bombing down Schultz.

Is this one of your riders....
    Nope - this isn't one of our riders. None of us are that young or that skinny

We ran into your group at the bottom of Little Bear (at the junction of Little Elden). Jay was BS'ing with a handful of the riders for a few minutes. The guy he was mostly talking with had an accent (Australian or British). I don't recall exactly who else was there. I don't recall a green '99 Stumpy. Were you one of the faster or slower riders? We might have sped off before everybody from the RideAZ group made it to the bottom of Little Bear. I passed a lot of people on the way down that trail...

Thx...Doug

Just another half mile...
    Pish. As if they were "secret" now. More than half of them have been published on paper (that new tyvek full-color map), and the rest are on Dale's maps ON THE INTERNET. Cat's out of the bag.

p.
    Here is my Super Secrete SingleTrack map of the Mt Elden trailsHere is my Super Secrete SingleTrack map of the Mt Elden trails. File link: http://email.secureserver.net/getFil...c=Mt+Eldon.JPG

I still have a few areas to GPS in the Lower Olden area and around on the SE side. Look Out and Ricochet are one in the same. I came up with the name for Ricochet several years ago when I first found the trail. All I remember from the first time down I was ricocheting from one boulder to the next while trying to stay upright. It's one of my favs up there. The La Bomba trail on the map is AKA Hotshot.

Dale