Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Memorial Night Ride for Doug Carlson

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  AZ_AlanS 
#1 · (Edited)
** See updated ride info in the comments below **​

To our friends and family in the cycling community, it is with a heavy heart that we pass this on to you. Doug Carlson, the owner of Fountain Hills Bikes, passed away unexpectedly last week. As most of you know Doug and Fountain Hills Bikes have generously sponsored the Summer Night Ride Series at McDowell Mountain Park by providing free food, music and other entertainment for many years and never asked for anything in return. The final night ride for the 2018 summer season will be in memory of Doug, his passion for the cycling community and specifically his generosity to McDowell Mountain Park and the Summer Night Rides. The final night ride for 2108 will be moved one week from September 15 to September 22, 2018.

We would like to ask everyone to show up and ride a littler earlier than normal and plan to be back at the Pemberton Trailhead by 8:30 pm. We will have a brief memorial service beginning around 8:45 and would like to allow anyone that is interested to share their favorite memory of Doug.

Fountain Hills Bikes will have food and drinks available after the ride.

https://www.fhtimes.com/obituaries/...cle_3757d422-a7ca-11e8-ade2-57e1e4bdeada.html

See less See more
#5 ·
The final 2018 Summer Night Ride at McDowell Mountain Park is this Saturday 9/22/2018. Please show up a little early for this one and plan on being back at the Pemberton Trailhead by 8:30 pm. We plan on having a short memorial for Doug starting at 8:45 pm. Please come prepared to share a story if you have one. Check out the attached image for more details.

Attachments

#7 ·
Just joined after hearing the tragic news of Doug's passing. RIP.

I've never did the night ride and would like to for the benefit of honoring Doug. I Have a NiteRider Lumina Micro 750 Headlight for my bike. Is this sufficient for the ride?

When should I show up and is parking an issue?
The 750 should be sufficient for this ride. I anticipate the entry station and parking lot to be quite busy for this night ride. We average well over 100 riders for a typical ride and this one will most likely be much larger. You should plan on starting your ride between 6 - 7 pm depending on your pace. Many of the riders stop at Jackass Junction for a short break before finishing the lap for a beer or other refreshment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.