Ouch, I am hot!

Me, Me, Me and Rant On Why I Am A Lazy &*%$#@

Well, perhaps the "honeymoon" is over. I have a tendency to go all in, or all out, rather than exercise moderation. However, for the last three plus years, after re-discovering mountain biking, I have been pretty moderate. I lost 50 pounds and generally rode 3-4 times per week consistently. Until now. I am in a serious period of laziness. The weight is slowly coming back and I am riding very little. Arg! I fear that if I do not get in control of this soon, I will execute my "all out" mode and give up on this sport entirely.

Except for National, none of the Phoenix trails excite me, even my beloved T100. I was once happy just spinning, having no concern for the kind of trail I was on. Now, non-tech trails such as the Competitive Loops, Pemberton, etc. do nothing for me. This year, I have had severe difficulty getting up early for rides. Last year it was no problem. I have no excuses and am simply a lazy &%$#@. I fear my next "all in" will be tropical fish and aquariums. I have already signed up on an aqua-tech forum and am excited about having fish babies. AHHHHHHHHH&&&%%%^&&^^%$*&%^&^%%!!!!

Last edited by Dirdir; 06-20-2005 at 11:05 AM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Come to the dark side,

https://www.kleinbikes.com/us/road_b..._xx/index.html

https://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/whitemountain.html

From this day forward you will be known as Darth Ge-off.

May the force be with you...

P.S. I like fish and aquariums too...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Well, perhaps the "honeymoon" is over. I have a tendency to go all in, or all out, rather than exercise moderation. However, for the last three plus years, after re-discovering mountain biking, I have been pretty moderate. I lost 50 pounds and generally rode 3-4 times per week consistently. Until now. I am in a serious period of laziness. The weight is slowly coming back and I am riding very little. Arg! I fear that if I do not get in control of this soon, I will execute my "all out" mode and give up on this sport entirely.

Except for National, none of the Phoenix trails excite me, even my beloved T100. I was once happy just spinning, having no concern for the kind of trail I was on. Now, non-tech trails such as the Competitive Loops, Pemberton, etc. do nothing for me. This year, I have had severe difficulty getting up early for rides. Last year it was no problem. I have no excuses and am simply a lazy &%$#@. I fear my next "all in" will be tropical fish and aquariums. I have already signed up on an aqua-tech forum and am excited about having fish babies. AHHHHHHHHH&&&%%%^&&^^%$*&%^&^%%!!!!

Last edited by funboarder1971; 06-20-2005 at 10:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Saucy Size
    Simple solution: GET OUT OF PHOENIX. Pack your bike and ride somewhere else. Easiest thing in the world.

Never ceases to amaze me when I find out what percentage of riders don't actually go anywhere with their bikes. Probably the low thousands, or even high hundreds, in metro Phoenix ever put bikes on racks and make a day trip of it.

We should get out of town, man. Put your lawyering to rest for one day during the week and we'll go hit up Flagstaff.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

sprocket
    Try the "F" ride....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It could simply be a case of burnout. If you have had no real time off the bike for three years that could be it. That happens to me periodically and I just pursue some other activity for a month or so. This summer I am taking time off from weight lifting and doing Yoga instead. I enjoy weight lifting but it was getting stale, a sign of burnout for me. Do something different for a while, maybe with the family?

Rita

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Prepare to bow to your new Emperor... Tinker Juarez...

http://www.planetultra.com/MulChallenge/roster2005.htm

I was inspired by this to climb to the towers on my singlespeed road bike this weekend... I pushed my 44:16 ALMOST all the way to the top. I made it just past the first gate at the towers.

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Come to the dark side,

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/road_bi..._xx/index.html

http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/whitemountain.html

P.S. I like fish and aquariums too...

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Simple solution: GET OUT OF PHOENIX. Pack your bike and ride somewhere else. Easiest thing in the world.

Never ceases to amaze me when I find out what percentage of riders don't actually go anywhere with their bikes. Probably the low thousands, or even high hundreds, in metro Phoenix ever put bikes on racks and make a day trip of it.

We should get out of town, man. Put your lawyering to rest for one day during the week and we'll go hit up Flagstaff.

p.
    Yes. Be a cyclist not a goof-off lawyer. Put a bit of Shultz Creek trail and Trail 260 in your life. Drink more beer. Stay away from downhill and freeride riders.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=funboarder1971]Come to the dark side,

Come on, don't let Aaron sway you with that evil roadie ploy...

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

... and if we just ... An easy (but painful) solution

Here's an easy solution: start running. In fact, sign up for a marathon or something. I used to always be training for the next race. My Saturdays were planned around the next long run getting ready for some race. It was really quite rewarding. Then I bought a bike after a looooong hiatus from biking since college and it helped me to remember just how unbelievable boring running is and how fun biking is...

Occidental Tourist
    Dibs on your Turner
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm taking up running as another thing to do to 'mix it up' a bit. I remember my first run...

Assuming that I can handle the epic trail rides fairly well, and can do centuries on the road bike relatively well... running 5 miles (for starters) should be a piece of cake.

Yeah, whatever! I made it *maybe* 2 miles before my body said "I QUIT!" and punished me for the remainder of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch
    Here's an easy solution: start running. In fact, sign up for a marathon or something. I used to always be training for the next race. My Saturdays were planned around the next long run getting ready for some race. It was really quite rewarding. Then I bought a bike after a looooong hiatus from biking since college and it helped me to remember just how unbelievable boring running is and how fun biking is...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I can relate

Just take it easy on yourself. Don't get those panties in a knot. Its freaking HOT, and its easy to get lazy out here in the desert when summer rolls around. If you have the cash, take a trip to Bend Oregon to try some different trails. The change of scenery and the new terrain will surely excite you. Sounds like you're in a rut.

Road bike are great too.

Good luck!

C

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here. Road Trip...

Plan an easy road trip to Cali and ride either:

1. Noble Canyon
    2. San Juan Trail

Either ride will bring you back to AZ with a big ol' smile on your face. You owe it to your 5 Spot!

I am Walt
    I will be responding in much more detail later, when I have more time, as I have a number of interesting and very insightful comments to make.

In the meantime, remember, Geoff, that you suck.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its not a ploy... its an old rodi mind trick...

Actually, I'm just taking him back to his roots as a U of A Wildspoke.

Strangely enough... I prefer mountain to road, yet I paid more for my road bike than all of my mountain bikes.... Hows that for having f'ed up priorities?

[QUOTE=rockhead]
    Come to the dark side,

Come on, don't let Aaron sway you with that evil roadie ploy...

Ouch, I am hot!

p.
    I would like to do this. Not sure if it will re-invigorate me, but it is still a good idea. Every time I think about heading out of town, I put it off and then regret doing so.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZtortoise
    It could simply be a case of burnout. If you have had no real time off the bike for three years that could be it. That happens to me periodically and I just pursue some other activity for a month or so. This summer I am taking time off from weight lifting and doing Yoga instead. I enjoy weight lifting but it was getting stale, a sign of burnout for me. Do something different for a while, maybe with the family?

Rita
    Yea, I know burnout. I have burned out in basketball, racquetbalI, roller hockey, and road racing after three hard years back in 1992. Always racing, training to race, on and on.

The last three years were different because I was truly moderate for the first time in connection with a bike. It was fun and laid back, but consistent.

Last edited by Dirdir; 06-20-2005 at 04:21 PM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size
    I'm fighting off the summer doldrums myself. This is the first week it's been simply too hot (for me) to hop on the bike even mid-morning and take a spin. The road bike is sitting there snickering at me, the mountain bike is sulking, the singlespeed is in pieces on my back porch.

My last crazy-early morning ride was probably the Sunrise run a couple weeks back. I tried a road ride the day before I left for LA last week and I felt really bad for the next three days. So I know that means 4 a.m. wakeup calls. I just can't pull the trigger and change my schedule. Batman is at 7:10 tonight, and I'd rather watch it than hit the hay at 8.

Already I've put on a couple pounds, been reading more, been spending more time on the computer. The house renovation projects are piling up and gaining urgency. Boredom eating is starting up again, which is always a bad sign.

Drop me a line when you get a day free to hit the high country. It may not invigorate you, but I'm willing to roll the dice myself.

p.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    How about Geronimo, 24th street, and Holbert? Those ought to up the ante for you as far as challenge.

But I can't see how it's fun to ride down there when the lowest temp is well above 80, that would depress me to no end.

Get up to flagstaff, it was farking amazing last weekend. Big 30 mile loop. Climb UP the trails, don't climb up the road like the weenies do (except if you are going to climb a DH bike up the road, then it's ok). There's some technical stuff there to have fun on, some high speed stuff to rail on, some elevation to get you breathing, and the temps are great.

I think I'll be up for another high country ride this weekend.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Ouch, I am hot!
    Its not a ploy... its an old rodi mind trick...

Actually, I'm just taking him back to his roots as a U of A Wildspoke.

Strangely enough... I prefer mountain to road, yet I paid more for my road bike than all of my mountain bikes.... Hows that for having f'ed up priorities?
    I thought you paid $12 each for your mountain bikes. As for going back to road, I would, but some guy has my old road bike.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Drugs

Funny, these chemicals released when we ride. There's one hell of a withdrawl. I see people day after day happy as clams just playing Sony Playstation and watching TV, this stuff drives me NUTS.

I need to exercise or I scratch my brains out.

I am Walt

My thoughts on the matter...

Geoff:

I moved to the Phoenix area 3 1/2 years ago and that's when I got back into mountain biking seriously. I have generally ridden 2-3 times per week since then, all over the Valley. But I've only been out of the immediate area four times to ride - twice to Tucson, once to Sedona and once to the Flag area. And none of the "classics" of those areas.

I, too, go through periods of apathy. The worst is when it heats up and you have so much pressure to get out early and ride. Which stresses you out the night before trying to get to bed relatively early. And it starts to feel like trying to ride regularly becomes all-consuming - you become a prisoner of the ride and the weather. Then when you start to add in other stuff - family, work, other activities - you start to feel like you just don't want to ride. I think that's what you're going through. (Contrast that to when you can sleep in (sort of), get up and have coffee, take the kids to their thing, then go for a nice mid-morning or afternoon ride - on your own terms).

Balance is also important in keeping mountain biking fun and interesting. In other words, if mountain biking is ALL you do, and you do most of if on the same trails, you will get sick of it. Do you lift? Run? I lift 3x per week and run once every week or two. Yes, that costs me some rides, but it keeps everything somewhat balanced. So start working out a gym - you may have to bag one or two of your weekly rides, but you'll get another activity going. (Plus, you can start wearing sleeveles tops )

Re the trails, I love the T100 area also - but you ride there too much. I know it's convenient, but it's burning you out. You need to ride the other areas. You should also think about getting a SS. One of the main reasons I built up the SS was to reinvigorate the trails that had become "boring" - Pemberton, Competitive Tracks, Desert Classic, etc. They are very different on the SS and you can make them really challenging. One of my favorite rides is to take the SS out to Pemberton and do 20-24 miles over a couple of hours. No, it's not scary technical or challenging, per se, but it is fun and a great workout. The SS also spices up the other trails as you ride it more and more - one example is the "diamond" (what I call the "Snake") at T100 - that rides a little different on the SS - nice rush! That's one of the reasons I've taken the SS up Sunrise a couple of times - I can't even clean it on my FS, but wanted to try it on the SS for the challenge.

I also agree that we should get of this area more. So I'm on board for a road trip. Let's plan something - there seem to be enough people interested. I'll camp anywhere, but don't know enough about the best camping/riding trips to lead.

Anyways, there's my two-cents worth...
    Ride more; post less...

Glutton for punishment
    SS is the way to go.

I agree with Walt - try a SS, better yet - a rigid one, and see what that does for your ride on the same old trails.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Geoff:

I moved to the Phoenix area 3 1/2 years ago and that's when I got back into mountain biking seriously. I have generally ridden 2-3 times per week since then, all over the Valley. But I've only been out of the immediate area four times to ride - twice to Tucson, once to Sedona and once to the Flag area. And none of the "classics" of those areas.

I, too, go through periods of apathy. The worst is when it heats up and you have so much pressure to get out early and ride. Which stresses you out the night before trying to get to bed relatively early. And it starts to feel like trying to ride regularly becomes all-consuming - you become a prisoner of the ride and the weather. Then when you start to add in other stuff - family, work, other activities - you start to feel like you just don't want to ride. I think that's what you're going through. (Contrast that to when you can sleep in (sort of), get up and have coffee, take the kids to their thing, then go for a nice mid-morning or afternoon ride - on your own terms).

Balance is also important in keeping mountain biking fun and interesting. In other words, if mountain biking is ALL you do, and you do most of if on the same trails, you will get sick of it. Do you lift? Run? I lift 3x per week and run once every week or two. Yes, that costs me some rides, but it keeps everything somewhat balanced. So start working out a gym - you may have to bag one or two of your weekly rides, but you'll get another activity going. (Plus, you can start wearing sleeveles tops )

Re the trails, I love the T100 area also - but you ride there too much. I know it's convenient, but it's burning you out. You need to ride the other areas. You should also think about getting a SS. One of the main reasons I built up the SS was to reinvigorate the trails that had become "boring" - Pemberton, Competitive Tracks, Desert Classic, etc. They are very different on the SS and you can make them really challenging. One of my favorite rides is to take the SS out to Pemberton and do 20-24 miles over a couple of hours. No, it's not scary technical or challenging, per se, but it is fun and a great workout. The SS also spices up the other trails as you ride it more and more - one example is the "diamond" (what I call the "Snake") at T100 - that rides a little different on the SS - nice rush! That's one of the reasons I've taken the SS up Sunrise a couple of times - I can't even clean it on my FS, but wanted to try it on the SS for the challenge.

I also agree that we should get of this area more. So I'm on board for a road trip. Let's plan something - there seem to be enough people interested. I'll camp anywhere, but don't know enough about the best camping/riding trips to lead.

Anyways, there's my two-cents worth...
    Thanks Walt. Some very good advice. One issue that has plagued me is the kids. With work, I don't get to see them as often as I would like, so there is already self inflicted pressure and guilt to spend as much time with them as possible. Having to go ride only adds to the stress. It is hardest on weekday night rides. I am already leaving work early, then I come home and have to start getting ready right away. Often, the kids will ask me not to go because they want to see me. Its not easy denying them their pappa, and I feel guilty all the time. Right now, at ages 4 and 6, I still can do no wrong in their eyes. This will change, but it is very hard for me to say goodnight to them after barely seeing them that day. I love those munchkins to death and I know we are all better off if I stay fit and healthy, but its just damn hard to not see them more.

I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    I can relate.
    A few things that have helped me:
    1) Riding to work - you may think it's not fesable but it is...you don' thave to do it every day
    2) YMCA - go early, go late, take the kids and go swimming
    If you are stressing youself out, mix it up and don't worry about not riding, just find some other stuff to do.
    Take the kids to the climbing gym and see if they/you like that.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

I am Walt
    Thanks Walt. Some very good advice. One issue that has plagued me is the kids. With work, I don't get to see them as often as I would like, so there is already self inflicted pressure and guilt to spend as much time with them as possible. Having to go ride only adds to the stress. It is hardest on weekday night rides. I am already leaving work early, then I come home and have to start getting ready right away. Often, the kids will ask me not to go because they want to see me. Its not easy denying them their pappa, and I feel guilty all the time. Right now, at ages 4 and 6, I still can do no wrong in their eyes. This will change, but it is very hard for me to say goodnight to them after barely seeing them that day. I love those munchkins to death and I know we are all better off if I stay fit and healthy, but its just damn hard to not see them more.
    You know I've got four kids who are very active and I spend alot of time watching swimming and driving to/from swimming...but I work everything in. Sometimes early, sometimes at lunch, sometimes late (and sometimes playing hooky). You just make it work. Scott (IBIKEAZ) likes to do his night rides after 8:30-9 so he can get his kids in bed - whatever it takes. I got my (just turned 13) son a mountain bike for X-Mas a couple years ago and I've taken him out to LDW and P&D.

I used to golf 40-50 times per year, but don't have time for that anymore. I rock climbed alot from '97-01, but haven't since I moved here - again, that takes a full day, unless you're in the climbing gym (which we do occasionally). Mountain biking is nice in that you can really work it into a schedule.

Something else to think about, you don't always have to go for a gnarly, techically demanding ride and think that if you don't, you didn't have a good ride. It's great to go for an "easy" ride where the focus is the workout, your heart rate, the scenery, or whatever, without worrying about the next injury-defying technical section. Remember, it's supposed to be fun, not work.
    Ride more; post less...

Saucy Size

Even more thoughts.

I've been thinking about this need to up the ante on rides to keep them interesting. I go through phases, sometimes for months at a time, where every ride has to be working toward cleaning another section of the National or Mormon. Or where I'm really focusing on climbing, so all my road rides are focused on elevation change and average grades.

First idea: I think, as a species, we're addicted to novelty and stimulation. It's probably a survival trait.

Second idea: Being able to accomplish a difficult ride also lets us gauge our ability -- it's the closest thing to an objective measure that you're getting "better."

Geoff, maybe you should look at a) other ways to achieve that level of stimulation you got when you first started and b) other ways to measure your growth as a rider. Ideas on the former: ride different places, ride different kinds of bikes (singlespeed, 29er, hardtail, 'cross, fixie, short-travel racy), and try some cross-training -- rock climbing is awesome for building upper-body strength, and running is awesome for building your cardio base and losing weight. On the latter: keep a ride journal, buy a HRM, increase your miles, and consider racing.

"Shut up and just ride" is a nice goal but it takes many of us years, if not decades, to achieve that level of zen-like peace. There are all kinds of psychological pressures and twists and turns we're all subject (victim?) of.

I don't think you're lazy at all -- you're just trying to serve too many masters (both inside your skull and in the real world).

p.

sprocket
    ride different kinds of bikes (singlespeed, 29er, hardtail, 'cross, fixie, short-travel racy

p.[/QUOTE]
    notice the exclusion of DH/FR bikes.....Paul is the man!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Oops, my bad. I was thinking of his normal riding area.

Yeah...if you really want to crank open your safety envelope and accomplish bigger and faster stuff, a DH/FR bike is the way to go.

Or pick up a rigid bike, and all your moderately technical stuff will suddenly feel "big." Cheaper, and you won't feel obligated to shuttle the beastie to the top of a mountain.

p.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=waltaz]

If you are interested this Flagstaff trip might fit the ticket....
    http://www.mtbaz.net/RoadTrips.asp

caninus xerophilous

Perceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    ride different kinds of bikes (singlespeed, 29er, hardtail, 'cross, fixie, short-travel racy

p.
    notice the exclusion of DH/FR bikes.....Paul is the man![/QUOTE]

Apparently you fail to recognize that there are many freeriders who freeride freeride hardtails and freeride freeride singlespeeds not to mention that there are some freeriders who freeride on freeride 29'ers as well.
    Last edited by SunDog; 06-21-2005 at 12:38 PM. Reason: freeride

caninus xerophilous

Try this.

Geoff,

Refrain from visitin MTBR until you start riding regularly again.

My guess is that you miss us and all the attention you like to garner and start riding again.

That is assuming there are no cool internet chatrooms for atrophying boob tube watching tweekers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you sure like to use the word 'freeride' . cannondale's lawyers will be contacting you shortly

actually the 29er 'freeride' scene is in its infancy. its being discussed in the 29er forum, but the lack of a true fr/dh 29er tire is really holding up the program.

there is a thread on the 29er forum of someone REALLY launching a 29er. its an impressive jump even for a 'traditional' 26er fr/dh bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=107647

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog

Apparently you fail to recognize that there are many freeriders who freeride freeride hardtails and freeride freeride singlespeeds not to mention that there are some freeriders who freeride on freeride 29'ers as well.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by funboarder1971; 06-21-2005 at 01:36 PM.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I've been thinking about this need to up the ante on rides to keep them interesting. I go through phases, sometimes for months at a time, where every ride has to be working toward cleaning another section of the National or Mormon. Or where I'm really focusing on climbing, so all my road rides are focused on elevation change and average grades.

First idea: I think, as a species, we're addicted to novelty and stimulation. It's probably a survival trait.

Second idea: Being able to accomplish a difficult ride also lets us gauge our ability -- it's the closest thing to an objective measure that you're getting "better."

Geoff, maybe you should look at a) other ways to achieve that level of stimulation you got when you first started and b) other ways to measure your growth as a rider. Ideas on the former: ride different places, ride different kinds of bikes (singlespeed, 29er, hardtail, 'cross, fixie, short-travel racy), and try some cross-training -- rock climbing is awesome for building upper-body strength, and running is awesome for building your cardio base and losing weight. On the latter: keep a ride journal, buy a HRM, increase your miles, and consider racing.

"Shut up and just ride" is a nice goal but it takes many of us years, if not decades, to achieve that level of zen-like peace. There are all kinds of psychological pressures and twists and turns we're all subject (victim?) of.

I don't think you're lazy at all -- you're just trying to serve too many masters (both inside your skull and in the real world).

p.
    Wow. This is some heavy duty stuff, especially the part about serving too many masters. Its true though. Very true.

I need that SS more than I think. I rode a fully rigid SS for about a week some time back and liked it. Honestly, a SS and some new bike clothing (I really like buying new shorts and jerseys) may be the best medicine of all.

Thanks for the ideas.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    You know I've got four kids who are very active and I spend alot of time watching swimming and driving to/from swimming...but I work everything in. Sometimes early, sometimes at lunch, sometimes late (and sometimes playing hooky). You just make it work. Scott (IBIKEAZ) likes to do his night rides after 8:30-9 so he can get his kids in bed - whatever it takes. I got my (just turned 13) son a mountain bike for X-Mas a couple years ago and I've taken him out to LDW and P&D.

I used to golf 40-50 times per year, but don't have time for that anymore. I rock climbed alot from '97-01, but haven't since I moved here - again, that takes a full day, unless you're in the climbing gym (which we do occasionally). Mountain biking is nice in that you can really work it into a schedule.

Something else to think about, you don't always have to go for a gnarly, techically demanding ride and think that if you don't, you didn't have a good ride. It's great to go for an "easy" ride where the focus is the workout, your heart rate, the scenery, or whatever, without worrying about the next injury-defying technical section. Remember, it's supposed to be fun, not work.
    I hear you. I need to stop stressing. What about the other three kids - do they ride? I would really like to get my girls into mountain biking when they are a bit older, but I fear that it will not happen. My dad, who was the best, turned me on to so many of the things that I do now, including cycling, but he sometimes pushed me too hard. I have mirrored this, a bit, with my kids and have forced myself to back off.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    Apparently you fail to recognize that there are many freeriders who freeride freeride hardtails and freeride freeride singlespeeds not to mention that there are some freeriders who freeride on freeride 29'ers as well.[/QUOTE]
    Apparently, I fail to recognize that freeriding is a pansey sport supported by baggy short wearing posers who think of nothing but putting down the other guy.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Geoff,

Refrain from visitin MTBR until you start riding regularly again.

My guess is that you miss us and all the attention you like to garner and start riding again.

That is assuming there are no cool internet chatrooms for atrophying boob tube watching tweekers.
    The attention I get here is small potatoes compared to what is going on at work. As for cool internet chat rooms, lately it has been these:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/
    http://www.sexforums.com
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Geoff,

I too am in a rut. The heat kills me, and I HATE getting up at 4:30am for an XC ride, or for DH shuttles for that matter. It's so much easier to get up later, have coffee, play with the kids, etc, and wait out the summer heat. But that doesn't keep my pants fitting me the way I like them to. And don't even get me started on how much I like beer...

I have concentrated on DH & FR for the past year, with a little bit of SS XC thrown in. I trimmed my stable of bikes from 6 down to 2 over the past 6 months. I had an XC HT, Trailbike, Roadbike, DH bike & SS. I now have a DH/FR bike, and a SS. I only ride one regularly, guess which one?

While I have increased my skills tremendously on the DH bike, my day-in day-out fitness level has gone to sh*t. I eat like a pig. I drink like a whino. But hey, it makes me happy at the moment, so what?

Walt's got great points, but I personally am NOT a gym guy. I've fallen into that trap too many times before, stuck with a membership I don't use. Hell, maybe it's because I don't have a workout partner, and get bored and am less apt to push myself when I am alone.

So, while I have decided to cut back on my DH'ing a little (every other week or so), I have made a renewed commitment to riding my SS. I'm going to be moving out to the Johnson Ranch area later this year, so I guess I had better spend some time on the new trails out at the San Tans, and maybe get involved with some trail maintenance - since I will using those as my primary riding spot, and SoMo & NRA are going to be that much farther away.

One other thing I'm doing - and I'll throw this out there at the risk of being flamed - I started skateboarding again. 10 years later, since I was last a relatively competent skater. I forgot how much fun it is, but it only took my 4 year old 5 minutes to remind me, watching him ride his. So I marched right down to Salvation Skates, and made the investment in an Element Bam Margera board, and have been having a blast over the past couple of weeks, rediscovering the joy of true balance and sore shins.

I don't know what the point of me posting all of this was. I guess it was to say you're not the only one.

Heat - agree, too damn hot.
    Gym - agree, boring.
    Beer - disagree, tastes like piss.
    SS - agree, get out there.
    Pig - agree, you are one.
    Whino - agree, you are one.
    Trail Maintenance - disagree, you are just trying to look good.
    Skateboarding - agreee, was my life, no really, my life, from 1976 to 1979.

That should cover it. Thanks for all the great advice and your lovely PM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Geoff,

I too am in a rut. The heat kills me, and I HATE getting up at 4:30am for an XC ride, or for DH shuttles for that matter. It's so much easier to get up later, have coffee, play with the kids, etc, and wait out the summer heat. But that doesn't keep my pants fitting me the way I like them to. And don't even get me started on how much I like beer...

I have concentrated on DH & FR for the past year, with a little bit of SS XC thrown in. I trimmed my stable of bikes from 6 down to 2 over the past 6 months. I had an XC HT, Trailbike, Roadbike, DH bike & SS. I now have a DH/FR bike, and a SS. I only ride one regularly, guess which one?

While I have increased my skills tremendously on the DH bike, my day-in day-out fitness level has gone to sh*t. I eat like a pig. I drink like a whino. But hey, it makes me happy at the moment, so what?

Walt's got great points, but I personally am NOT a gym guy. I've fallen into that trap too many times before, stuck with a membership I don't use. Hell, maybe it's because I don't have a workout partner, and get bored and am less apt to push myself when I am alone.

So, while I have decided to cut back on my DH'ing a little (every other week or so), I have made a renewed commitment to riding my SS. I'm going to be moving out to the Johnson Ranch area later this year, so I guess I had better spend some time on the new trails out at the San Tans, and maybe get involved with some trail maintenance - since I will using those as my primary riding spot, and SoMo & NRA are going to be that much farther away.

One other thing I'm doing - and I'll throw this out there at the risk of being flamed - I started skateboarding again. 10 years later, since I was last a relatively competent skater. I forgot how much fun it is, but it only took my 4 year old 5 minutes to remind me, watching him ride his. So I marched right down to Salvation Skates, and made the investment in an Element Bam Margera board, and have been having a blast over the past couple of weeks, rediscovering the joy of true balance and sore shins.

I don't know what the point of me posting all of this was. I guess it was to say you're not the only one.

I agree totally to what you all are saying, I live in Johnson Ranch and checked out the San Tans.... They need alotttt of work, that was two months ago and I havnt ridden since. Ive got a new Turner Burner thats been riden 5 times. I want so bad to get my arse out there and ride, but its d@mn hot to get motivated now and all the trails are a good hour away. I cant wait till san tans gets going, downhill pm me when you make it out to JR and ill help with trails. IT would be sweet to have some trails that close worht riding. I know how you feel dirdir. I am a father of three and taking 2+ hours just to drive too and from the trailhead in this heat doesnt seem to apealing atm.. So yesss..... I AM LAZY NOW
    Just happy to be Crushin Rocks on the trails...

It's a slugfest!

Ramblings of a mid-40's guy...

I've got some experience to share on this topic. 4 kids. Oldest son, 22. Daughter 19, daughter 14, son 11. Prior to mountain biking, my life was basketball. Because of this, I pressured my older 2 kids into the sport. They were signed up for every season, every camp, and played on every school team. Both excelled as basketball players. Both bailed out of basketball after their junior year seasons, with promising senior years ahead of them. One was varsities leading scorer as a junior. Both sited the pressure placed upon them to be "basketball specific" by serious high-school coaches as well as yours truly. They wanted to experience other things that their friends were experiencing in high-school, like snow boarding, wake boarding, and all the other kinds of boarding that kids do. I conceded, and after several months of deep depression and jogging at midnight to release anger (...and I hate jogging...), I have come to terms with the situation. As long as they replaced the basketball with another worthwhile activity, and didn't just hang-out, I was OK. My younger 2 have been raised differently, without me placing that kind of pressure upon them. Strangely enough, they are both actively participating and loving basketball, among other sports.

ALL of my children enjoy biking. I have learned from my basketball mistakes, and taken an entirely different approach at biking. My children know about my passion for bikes. They know exactly where I will be several mornings during the week and EVERY Saturday morning. They know that they are welcome on any ride with me, and that I will drop any ride planned with my buddies to take them to any trail they want to ride. There have been a few heated debates on this site about spoiling kids with high-dollar bikes. I happen to belong to the camp that will not spend a dime on electric or motorized scooters, mopeds, or anything of that nature. The kids have learned not even come to me and ask for video games or the like (well....actually, they've just learned to go to their mother). But....if they come to me and want a nice bike, and prove to me that they will ride frequently, I make sure that they have a quality set of wheels. For me, this has proven to be a wise "investment".

Can't tell you how cool it is to ride with your kids. My 19 year old daughter has approached me the last two Saturdays and asked me to take her out to Pemberton. While Pemberton doesn't satisfy my thirst for technical riding, we both enjoy the workout of the gradual climb, and the payoff afterwards. We stop on some boulders and enjoy a snack, and enjoy a moment of just listening to the quiet of the desert.

Last Sunday, on Fathers Day, she presented me with a really neat gift. She had spent weeks putting together a small scrapbook of pictures of her and I and included quotes about fathers. There was a couple of pages dedicated to mountain biking. On one page there were the words "Like father..." showing several pictures of me on some of my epic mountain bike trips... On the adjacent page, "Like daughter..." and she placed several photos of her and some of her favorite rides.

Dirdir, you love your munchins now, but think what it will be like riding with them. Along those lines, here are a couple of ideas that I have, on how to encourage our kids to get out and enjoy the trails with us.

1) At and early age, teach them to ride their bikes. Family rides around the neighborhood will get them comfortable on their bikes.
    2) When they feel ready, take them out on some "easy" trails. The key here is to not bite off more than they can chew. Too much climbing or technical riding will often do more to discourage them, than motivate them. (this is not true however of "all" kids...)
    3) Take your bikes on family trips. Let them experience rides in the forest and around lakes...
    4) Get them decent bikes. We hate to climb on heavy bikes. We shouldn't expect our children to.
    5) Make yourself available to ride as often as you can. Create positive experiences and traditions that they will have as memories.
    6) Take lots of pictures.

Watching your little ones begin to love our sport is yet another way to inject some excitement back into your cycling life.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You know, if you want to do the impromptu night ride, after the kiddies are in bed, you can always give me a call. I'm always good for a late night ride (7,8 or 9 pm).

Wow. This is some heavy duty stuff, especially the part about serving too many masters. Its true though. Very true.

I need that SS more than I think. I rode a fully rigid SS for about a week some time back and liked it. Honestly, a SS and some new bike clothing (I really like buying new shorts and jerseys) may be the best medicine of all.

Thanks for the ideas.

Members who have read this thread: 0