McDowell Race- Mtbr.com

Thread: McDowell Race

In the rear with the beer

McDowell Race

I wasn't racing but was out there. The turn out looked huge!! Last year the marathon group was less than 10, this year it was massive. All categories has big groups coming out. That's great!!

I gotta say though....to the Clyde group (which I always take particular interest in), unless they were combined with another category at the start, it sure looked like there were a few under-weight riders out there....Were they weighing everyone in?

I hope there is the same turnout at Estrella!!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I gotta say though....to the Clyde group (which I always take particular interest in), unless they were combined with another category at the start, it sure looked like there were a few under-weight riders out there....Were they weighing everyone in?
    Since I was the smallest guy on the podium for this class, I have to assume that in some way you might have been referring to me. I would be happy to step on the scale before and after the race. I weighed 218lbs on the Thursday before the race. I typically weigh 220lbs, and I rarely get down to 210 by my triathlon in July. So, bring the scale. Why weren't you racing?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Since I was the smallest guy on the podium for this class, I have to assume that in some way you might have been referring to me. I would be happy to step on the scale before and after the race. I weighed 218lbs on the Thursday before the race. I typically weigh 220lbs, and I rarely get down to 210 by my triathlon in July. So, bring the scale. Why weren't you racing?
    I wasn't pointing to anyone in particular, just looked like the group coming off the starting line has a few "little guys" mixed in there. Could have just been tall guys on 29ers....

My derailleur broke a couple weeks ago and I've just been too lazy to sit down and fix it. Been pretty much a raodie since. I was jonesing to race on Saturday though.....i went home afterwards and did one of my standard road loops in record time...makes me wonder how I would have done if I'd have raced. Although I've dropped almost 20lbs in the past month, so im under the 210 cutoff....but if you factor in the 2% cushion they give and clothes/shoes, I may still qualify....would that be wrong?
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    It wouldn't be wrong. I am not sure what to think myself, because I am conflicted being the youngest in that group. I did not win, but I think I could at some point. My confliction is that there is no way I would ever win my age group, when I have to compete against guys that weigh anywhere from 165-180 lbs. I am not carrying around a lot of body fat, I am just built bigger than most. I have the advantage of being a young and smaller clyde. That doesn't mean I have it locked in though, the guy that won it is a freak of nature, and a number of other large guys beat me out as well. I like this group because it is a group set up for guys like me. I compared where they would have fallen in their age groups, and they would have been to the bottom-middle of pack like me in my age group, so is it wrong that I make the decision to race RC at 28 years old?

I compared where they would have fallen in their age groups, and they would have been to the bottom-middle of pack like me in my age group, so is it wrong that I make the decision to race RC at 28 years old?
    Not wrong at all, imo. Plus, I think that clyde group is funner to ride with (for me at least) since it seems composed more of guys out to ride and have a good time on the bike, which is more my style, as opposed to some of the hyper-competitiveness in a couple of the other classes. Nothing against those who really want to win...ride on! That's what the races are for!

So I may see you at the line up at Estrella. If I do, there will be a secret case of beer "for Clydes only" stashed at the crankjunkie tent for when we finish!!!!
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    That sounds awesome. I like the Estrella course, so I am planning on being there.

Salty Dog

Yep, it was mixed...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I wasn't pointing to anyone in particular, just looked like the group coming off the starting line has a few "little guys" mixed in there. Could have just been tall guys on 29ers....

My derailleur broke a couple weeks ago and I've just been too lazy to sit down and fix it. Been pretty much a raodie since. I was jonesing to race on Saturday though.....i went home afterwards and did one of my standard road loops in record time...makes me wonder how I would have done if I'd have raced. Although I've dropped almost 20lbs in the past month, so im under the 210 cutoff....but if you factor in the 2% cushion they give and clothes/shoes, I may still qualify....would that be wrong?
    There were some of us 'older' guys mixed in with the Clydes on the start. Older and smaller in most cases...

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member

So 210lbs is the cuttoff?

Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Yep, but there is like a 2% variance allowed, plus I think a little bit for gear....
    Salvation Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    There were some of us 'older' guys mixed in with the Clydes on the start. Older and smaller in most cases...

Tommy
    Aha! I thought some folks looked a little "small"

Congrats on the podium finish, Salty! Looks like it was a pretty tight race in the masters class.

And nice to finally meet you in person!!
    Salvation Outdoor

Salty Dog

Yep - new rules...

Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    From MBAA.NET 2009 rules change: "Rock Crusher will do Cat 2 distance and get Cat 2 points. Rock Crusher weight dropped to 210 lbs."

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

I'm back up to 209 this morning....and my gf and I usually celebrate valentine's day with Pizza, Wings and beer (what a lady!!), so i should be back well into the 210 range by the next race!!
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Keep eating the beer & pizza. While you are trying to keep in the division, I am going to try to keep cutting away slowly and pushing closer to 210lbs. I typically try to cut the first few weeks, and then the week of, allow myself to eat (but well) in order to keep the strength up. I am thinking of picking up some strenth training these next weeks, so I usually have a hard time dropping weight when that happens.

Members who have read this thread: 0