McDowell Mtn Quad Bypass?- Mtbr.com
    YT
    mtbr member

McDowell Mtn Quad Bypass?

Does anyone know if this event (McDowell Mountain Quad Bypass) still is going on?
    Was usually slated for January back in the day, but haven't seen any info on it last couple of years.

Waltaz ?

Meatbomb
    I have not seen it occur for many years. No reason why you cant organize a ride.

Pick a date and a meeting spot and see who shows up....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I have not seen it occur for many years. No reason why you cant organize a ride.

Pick a date and a meeting spot and see who shows up....
    No doubt, That ride has not happened in ages, always wanted to do that ride.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by YT View Post
    Does anyone know if this event (McDowell Mountain Quad Bypass) still is going on?
    Was usually slated for January back in the day, but haven't seen any info on it last couple of years.

Waltaz ?
    I haven't organized it in 5-6 years, after the Preserve stewards showed up and gave me a hard time about it. Seems it got on their radar as an organized event or race, which they frown(ed) upon. I know a number of people still do it on their own and off the grid.

That said, maybe enough time has passed to reboot it...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Is this the route? https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...uple-bypass--2

Looks like a good one! Will have to try it sometime soon.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly it was Windgate/Bell/Sunrise/Windgate, I also believe there was a Tom's Thumb option..., I have the trail queue sheet somewhere, I will try to find it.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    I haven't organized it in 5-6 years, after the Preserve stewards showed up and gave me a hard time about it. Seems it got on their radar as an organized event or race, which they frown(ed) upon. I know a number of people still do it on their own and off the grid.

Yes! Reboot, Reboot, Reboot!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phxrider View Post
    If I remember correctly it was Windgate/Bell/Sunrise/Windgate, I also believe there was a Tom's Thumb option..., I have the trail queue sheet somewhere, I will try to find it.
    It's much better now with Andrew-Kinsey trail and new Sonoran re-route. Going up TT is crazy hard (lots of HAB) and down east-end is super sketchy (not well maintained and steep trail).

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by phxrider View Post
    It was up Windgate (proper, not Desert Park on the bottom), over to Bell, down Bell, over Paradise to Quartz, up Quartz, over Old Jeep to Sunrise, up Sunrise, down Sunrise to the E, then up the road through Hidden Hills to the dirt road (now called Promenade), then drop down on an old connector to the neighborhood (then under construction) to what is now the Golden Eagle TH (the last Quad or two used what is now called Upper Sonoran to connect to Dixie Mine - poor routing for bikes), then Dixie Mine all the way to Windmill/Windgate , Windgate to the top, and back down Windgate to finish.

Big changes now are:
    - after climbing Sunrise, head down Andrews-Kinsey, which is a great trail (no more down Sunrise East and no more neighborhood)
    - after Promenade, take Lower Sonoran to Dixie Mine. LoSo is another great trail.

The Tomís Thumb option was never something I endorsed as it wasnít part of the original route, and it is plain stupid, IMO. HAB up and HAB down...no thanks. And that East End trail has only gotten worse.

We staged in Bashaís parking lot, and always hung out after for beers and talk. Very fun times...

Hmmmmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

YT
    mtbr member
    The Toms Thumb option was never part of the Quad.
    It was added for the AES event which basically started same route. I think only two people finished that AES event, as it poured rain the night before and during that event.

Well - Walt Az, lets reboot this and go have some fun with the new route /. changes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Reboot please. Iíd be in.

Click Click Click
    I am also in. As far as I know, it is not illegal to have a group ride in the McDowells, and this is not an "Event". There is no timing, aid stations, or number plates

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    I am also in. As far as I know, it is not illegal to have a group ride in the McDowells, and this is not an "Event". There is no timing, aid stations, or number plates
    That's what I figured before...

That said, let me look at some dates, and I'll set up a private Facebook page to take it off of here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

i had some discussions with the preserve folks in an attempt to reboot the AES race. Turns out if you have 35 or under it is not considered an event and you can do whatever you like. The AES race was pretty popular (despite the Toms Thumb silliness) so no way we'd be able to limit to 35.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I might do it tomorrow.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Not to mention the Ahole hikers we used to run into out there. They didn't like mountain bikers on their precious "hiking" trails... especially at night.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Iíd love to join in. Iím right across the street from the Bell trailhead.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yo DB, if this official reboot doesn't happen - maybe you'd be open to taking a day off from work and making a day of it. Let me know if something like that interests you. I'm more inclined to ride this route on a weekday anyway honestly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Whatís the total mileage and elevation gain? Iím assuming there are a few spots to refill water along the way.

Elitest thrill junkie

Y

I just clocked 4750 vert on my gps.I think trailforks is way off for vert in general. The mileage seemed accurate. Upper Sonoran is a beat down! Lots of cholla balls out that way too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Meatbomb
    Did you just do the quad? How many miles?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Definitely interested in this, ever since learning about the event a year or so ago I've done a modified version of the route on occasion from my house (on the other side in FH). It's a beatdown!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Did you just do the quad? How many miles?
    I started from the McDowell Sonoran Preserve Gateway Trailhead, but bailed out on the way back at N 102nd. My mileage was 33 miles, so Iím pretty sure itís around 30-31 miles from the official ďstartĒ off of N 102nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I just clocked 4750 vert on my gps.I think trailforks is way off for vert in general. The mileage seemed accurate. Upper Sonoran is a beat down! Lots of cholla balls out that way too.
    Upper Sonoran is no longer necessary. Lower Sonoran is wayyyyyy better and begins/ends in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Whatís the total mileage and elevation gain? Iím assuming there are a few spots to refill water along the way.
    Actually, no. And that is one disadvantage of the new route. The route used to go down Sunrise on the Fountain Hills side. There is water at the bottom of that. You "could" do the old route, but that trail has not held up well - and has tons of hikers.

There is a new trailhead at the bottom of Andrews/Kinsey, but no water. You could stash some ahead of the ride.

Alternatively, you could go off route to Lost Dog trailhead.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Actually, no. And that is one disadvantage of the new route. The route used to go down Sunrise on the Fountain Hills side. There is water at the bottom of that. You "could" do the old route, but that trail has not held up well - and has tons of hikers.

There is a new trailhead at the bottom of Andrews/Kinsey, but no water. You could stash some ahead of the ride.

Alternatively, you could go off route to Lost Dog trailhead.
    Also, in the past, we have gone slightly off route to the McDowell Mtn Ranch pool, which is a short distance from the junction of Quartz and Taliesin. Hopped the fence to get water from the fountain. Probably not a good idea.

Iíd likely stash some in a car in that parking lot, or up at the Adero TH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    phatmike: I'll do the route with you some Friday. OR we could do the amped up McDowell Madness route, aka the Septuple?? Bypass. I've been wanting to do that one again now that LoSo has been added.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Elitest thrill junkie
    LoSo wasnít indicated on trailforks, so thatís why I did upper. That and the initial windgate were the worst parts. I was good with a full camelback and 2 bottles on my bike. The shift to better bike storage in the last few years has made this less of an issue IMO. A few revelate feed bags or stash some additional in your frame bag like I did.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Yo DB, if this official reboot doesn't happen - maybe you'd be open to taking a day off from work and making a day of it. Let me know if something like that interests you. I'm more inclined to ride this route on a weekday anyway honestly.
    YES, that sounds great. I have a bunch of time off in Dec and first week in Jan...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    phatmike: I'll do the route with you some Friday. OR we could do the amped up McDowell Madness route, aka the Septuple?? Bypass. I've been wanting to do that one again now that LoSo has been added.
    I can pull a Friday off in January for the Septuple *WOAH*. I'll reach out via messenger...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    YES, that sounds great. I have a bunch of time off in Dec and first week in Jan...
    Can you do 12/26? Text me or FB message me!