McDowell Mountains Double Bypass Redux! Sat, Nov. 11, 7:00 am- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

McDowell Mountains Double Bypass Redux! Sat, Nov. 11, 7:00 am

Back by popular demand, and because we need another Double Bypass before attempting the Triple or Quadruple, we're doing this again on Saturday, Nov. 11. This would be a great opportunity for some extended saddle time two weeks before the FOTP.

Here are the details:
    The route will start in NE Scottsdale at the Bashas on Bell just west of Thompson Peak, head over roads to the Taliesin Trail near the Sanctuary Golf Course, up to the Talisien Overlook, down Lost Dog to Ringtail, over Ringtail to Sunrise, up and over Sunrise (first bypass) to Hidden Hills Trailhead at 144th St. & Via Linda, up Via Linda to the Fountain Hills connector road, across and down to the Golden Eagle Trailhead (SAG wagon there with food and drink), then up Dixie Mine Trail to the Bell Pass Connector, over and up to Windgate Pass (second bypass, not going up and over Bell this time), down Windgate to Bell Loop, up Bell Loop, then down and back to the Bashas start.

FIP from Basha's at 7:00 am sharp, please. It should be light enough by then. This is a long ride.

The first time we did this, it took us 6+ hours, so estimate at least 6 hours as this route is slightly longer. Maybe 25-30-ish miles. As mentioned, we can replenish food and water at the Golden Eagle trailhead. Lots of climbing, fun descents, sweet singletrack, plenty of loose, sharp rocks. Nobody will be dropped or left behind, but it's most definitely NOT an easy or beginner ride. There are bail points at 128th St. before climbing Sunrise, the HH trailhead, and the GE trailhead. You'll have to get picked up, though.

I did this on my 29'er SS last time running 32:20 and it hurt. In fact, it sucked, because a lot of the climbing turned into hike-a-bike (at least for mortals - Mark and Nardo kept hammering on their SS's). I'm hoping for gears this time, but bring what you want. Somebody bring a GPS so we can track it. And cameras, of course.

RSVP so we get a count, feel free to post any questions.

Here's the link from the first ride, for info, answers and post-ride beta:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=229644

See ya!
    Last edited by waltaz; 10-25-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

RHRF!

I'm almost healed...

...so that means it's time for another ride! I'm in!

"I think I'll be playing my 'Gears or Tears - The Hurting' CD in my iPod..."

JK!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Hmm...

Big wheels? Check!
    Gears? Check!
    GPS? Check!
    Camera? Check!
    G-String Diva on a hybrid cruiser? CHECK!!!

I'm in...

my knees hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Big wheels? Check!
    Gears? Check!
    GPS? Check!
    Camera? Check!
    G-String Diva on a hybrid cruiser? CHECK!!!

I'm in...

Classic....still cant believe that woman out there....
    unfortunately I will be in NY for a wedding and will have to bow out of this one...have a great time guys...
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

Salty Dog
    Count me in. Gears and all.

Tommy

Not a Barry supporter.
    What the hell, I like pain...I'm in.

The Saturday after this is moving day so we need to get double the ride in to make up for it. I'll be packing some PB&J's!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you bastards! i have a 12 hour race with landon in temecula that weekend. take lots of pics please. cant wait till the psycho bypass. all the hours im logging i might have to to the old pueblo alone........wait hell no! have fun everyone.

NardoSS
    I'm 100% in for this one! It's too much fun to pass up this time of year.

I'll be on the SS 29er having sold the geared bike due to lack of use. I'll sing the Thong Song when we get to the end of Dixie Mine in honor of the little hottie in the thong on the hybrid. The Thong Song by Sisqo...awww yeeeeeeah.

"She had dumps like a truck truck truck
    Thighs like what what what
    Baby move your butt butt butt
    Uh
    I think to sing it again
    She had dumps like a truck truck truck
    Thighs like what what what
    All night long
    Let me see that thong"

Happy trails

i'm in again...

a glutton for self abuse i guess.
    also holding onto a glimmer of hope for a hottie on the hill again!
    Aaron

Tdub
    I'm thinking I could be in. I may also join for an abbreviated version, that might end at Sunrise summit, and then come back on the same route. I'd like to hang with you guys but I haven't done a ride this long with this much climbing, and the last thing I want is to bog and be miserable. So anyway, may do the sissy version that gets in two good climbs nonetheless, and probably logs about 16 miles total back to Bell or MMR in general as the endpoint.
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyWW
    I'm thinking I could be in. I may also join for an abbreviated version, that might end at Sunrise summit, and then come back on the same route. I'd like to hang with you guys but I haven't done a ride this long with this much climbing, and the last thing I want is to bog and be miserable. So anyway, may do the sissy version that gets in two good climbs nonetheless, and probably logs about 16 miles total back to Bell or MMR in general as the endpoint.
    You can do it! Will be misery, as it is for all, but you'll make it!
    Ride more; post less...

Steep Hill
    Unlike StarTrek, no one here gets left behind but it is probably a good idea to not wear a red jersey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tdub
    Yeah, I think Ensign Ricky landed a sweet gig on the Wiggles though....so maybe the red pulled him through.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah we are there! Talking replenishment....can I pick up an extra pair of legs at the Eagle Trailhead?
    The EXogrid team will be there

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like, er fun... I'm in.

tom.

Flight Junkie
    I guess I'm up for some more serious painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I like the route plan
    ROTOR HEAD

Occidental Tourist

un pregunta

say i was coming from pemberton and headed up dixie mine past the split to windgate and contunued on dixie.
    how do i link to golden eagle th and then sunrise?
    i saw the dirt road down below and a faint trail heading up to where i think i need to go. i feel like i'm missing something tho.
    should i head up windgate and catch the dixie mine connector there?
    does it matter?
    gracias.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    say i was coming from pemberton and headed up dixie mine past the split to windgate and contunued on dixie.
    how do i link to golden eagle th and then sunrise?
    i saw the dirt road down below and a faint trail heading up to where i think i need to go. i feel like i'm missing something tho.
    should i head up windgate and catch the dixie mine connector there?
    does it matter?
    gracias.
    First of all, you should come out and play on the ride...be good to see you out there again...

OK, now re your question, if you're coming south on on Dixie Mine, past the split with Windgate (If you continue up Windgate from Dixie Mine there, you can go south on the Bell Connector, but that will only take you up to Bell or back down to the dirt road and Dixie Mine), you'll go down a hill on the singletrack, then hit a dirt road. Just about as soon as you hit the road, you'll go up a steep part, then the Dixie Mine will break off to the left. I don't know if it's signed or not, but it's very apparent. Continue on Dixie Mine until it ends at a fence and cul-de-sac, then go up the road and turn left at the intersection. That will take you to the Golden Eagle TH.

From there, it's hard to describe how to get to the double-track/jeep road that connects to the top of Via Linda. You sort of route-find your way up to the doubletrack you see way above you to the west/south. Alternatively, from looking at the Google satellite picture, when you come out from Dixie Mine to the fence and cul-de-sac and head up the road, if you turn RIGHT at the intersection, it looks like that road will curve around to the south and then after a ways you should be able to pick up the trail that will take you up to the doubletrack.

In any event, once you get to that doubletrack, take it a couple miles to where it turns into Via Linda, then coast down a bit to the Hidden Hills TH at 144th St. and Via Linda. Then up you go on Sunrise, but the climb from that side severely sucks.

So it's possible to access the loop we're going to do from MMP and Pemberton, thus adding more miles to the ride.

Does any of that make sense?
    Ride more; post less...

Fragile - must be Italian
    IF I have a mountain bike to ride this weekend (and that's a big IF...both MTB's are in the f*cking shop), I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll be out climbing 9-mile hill on the roadie (ugh).

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    IF I have a mountain bike to ride this weekend (and that's a big IF...both MTB's are in the f*cking shop), I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll be out climbing 9-mile hill on the roadie (ugh).

Thx...Doug
    Umm...Francis, it's NEXT weekend so...kwitcherbetchen...

Be there or be square, gangi...WTF is a gangi anyways...?
    Ride more; post less...

pedaller
    you'll go down a hill on the singletrack, then hit a dirt road. Just about as soon as you hit the road, you'll go up a steep part, then the Dixie Mine will break off to the left. I don't know if it's signed or not, but it's very apparent.
    It's about halfway up the "steep part" of the dirt road and the trail IS signed I believe and it's almost perpendicular to the dirt road at that point.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Umm...Francis, it's NEXT weekend so...kwitcherbetchen...

Be there or be square, gangi...WTF is a gangi anyways...?
    Ok - I deserve a big "duh" on that one. Good thing you said something or I would have been the only person to show up this Sunday. My head has not been screwed on tight lately...I think the pollution is getting to me from all the road biking

And since you asked, "Gangi" is a Sicilian name meaning "one bad-ass mo-fo of a mountain biker". Or "total deuchbag on a mountain bike". I forget which. In any event, what's a Walt?

Thx...Doug
    Last edited by dgangi; 10-31-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Steep Hill
    IF I have a mountain bike to ride this weekend...
    Regardless of the weekend or bike situation, you're problem is solved. Simply borrow my lil' rig and I will return to my old steed. Viola!

PS - Just stretch out really good before spinning those 200mm cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    Regardless of the weekend or bike situation, you're problem is solved. Simply borrow my lil' rig and I will return to my old steed. Viola!

PS - Just stretch out really good before spinning those 200mm cranks.
    Umm...stretching won't do me a bit of good. I'll need some drywall stilts strapped to my legs to reach the pedals and a phone book on the seat to see over the handlebars

We *have* to come up with a name for that big bike. "Frankenbike" comes to mind but that's used too much already. I'll come up with something...

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    In any event, what's a Walt?
    Definition: A German patronymic surname derived from the German first name Walther, meaning "ruler of the army." From the Germanic elements "wald," meaning rule and "heri," meaning army.
    Ride more; post less...

Occidental Tourist
    yup, that makes sense. thanks. i'll join you guys one of these days. gotta miss this one tho.

Definition: A German patronymic surname derived from the German first name Walther, meaning "ruler of the army." From the Germanic elements "wald," meaning rule and "heri," meaning army.
    Huh. And all this time I thought "Walt" was German for "doofus".

Thx...Doug

Steep Hill
    We *have* to come up with a name for that big bike. "Frankenbike" comes to mind but that's used too much already. I'll come up with something...
    I've always liked contrasting names such as "Iron Butterfly" and "Led Zeppelin". Throw in a nod to the Daisy Cutter munition and perhaps "Daisy" would suffice.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    EDIT: I'm wee tah did. However, I will be out of town this weekend as well. I wish I was going though - the ride sounds rad.
    Last edited by majmun; 11-06-2006 at 04:45 PM.

I am Walt

Getting close...

This Saturday, folks...

There are some riders joining from a McDowell Sonoran Preserve group, so we should have a pretty good-sized bunch. Make sure to bring plenty of tubes, water, gel, first aid, etc. Pat (titusbro) will be hosting a SAG stop at the Golden Eagle trailhead, which was a godsend last time.

Pay attention here as we may move the start to hook up with the MSP goup - still trying to figure that out.
    Ride more; post less...

It's a slugfest!
    Count the slug in....I've got a few leg muscles that haven't cramped in awhile...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! No flats this

Ready to roll new back tire = no flats. Finish with the pack.

I'm in...

I am Walt

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NOTE: New Starting Point!

As I mentioned might happen, we are going to start from a different spot to:
    A. Avoid having to take roads for the first mile and a half, or so, and
    B. Hook up with the steward group from the McDowell Sonoran Preserve
    C. Finish on a little-known connector from the Bell Pass trail over to the Quartz trail
    D. Enjoy post-ride benefits...see below...

Start-time is still 7:00 am sharp FIP and spinning cranks!

The starting point will be at the bottom of the Quartz Trail at the McDowell Mountain Ranch (MMR) community center off of 105th Street. It's a small lot, so I recommend parking in the plaza across the street next to Cafe Portbello. That way, we won't jam the lot at the community center on a Sat. morning. By the way, one of the MSP stewards lives in MMR and has extended the invitation, so it's cool. In fact, he has generously offered the use of the facilities after the ride (showers, pool/hot tub, grills for burgers). This would be BYOB & M. (booze & MEAT!).

Here are the directions:
    - Exit the 101 at the Frank Lloyd Wright exit
    - Go east on FLW for approximately 1.5 miles
    - Make a left on Thompson Peak Parkway (or make a right onto Thompson Peak if you happen to be approaching from the south). Continue uphill and across the bridge.
    - At the light turn right onto McDowell Mountain Ranch Road
    - Continue for 7/10 mile and turn right at the second light on 105th Street
    - Take the first right into the plaza with the Portobello restaurant and park there.

Gear up and rally across the street at the community center. We will be starting this time by going up the Quartz trail. It's a little harder towards the end than going up the Taliesin trail, but it's a suffer-fest anyways, so why not start suffering sooner?

And again, we have the opportunity to enjoy a post-ride gathering, so bring things you'd like to cook, eat, drink and share...

A reminder that this will be a hard ride and will take 6+ hours. We will have a SAG stop at the Golden Eagle TH in Fountain Hills, so bring about $5 to contribute to that cause.

See you Saturday AM!
    Ride more; post less...

meow
    Walt Glad you all will be joining the MSC stewards! Looking forward to meeting and suffering with all of you!

Cathy

I am Walt

New question here. Count?

Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    Walt Glad you all will be joining the MSC stewards! Looking forward to meeting and suffering with all of you!

Cathy
    How many from the MSP steward group, Cathy?

I count at least 15-16 from MTBR...

dirtrodr and the wrecking crew - where are you...?
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    Walt, would LOVE to make this ride...but I'm wayyyyy sick and don't see myself getting in climbing/lung searing mode by the weekend. I don't think I can't make it. Jeff and Chris were sick all of last week also but they may be able to make it by the weekend. I'll light a fire under them and see if I can't get them going.
    ~~~

meow
    How many from the MSP steward group, Cathy?

I count at least 15-16 from MTBR...

Looks like 7-8.

Flight Junkie
    Have to back out. Going to Flagstaff. Have fun...
    ROTOR HEAD

RHRF!
    Aw... whose going to tend to my wounds?

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Be there aloha

Me and my tukee hommies are coming up for the lung searing, thigh burning, ass kicking double...glad its not the triple.....I have managed to find one person who might be slower than me, so that I do not do clean up.
    So we have four to add to the count
    Have beer will travel.
    By the way how do I get a cute handle and picture onto my signature. You all spend way to much time pimping your sigs
    Last edited by laurelja; 11-10-2006 at 10:18 AM.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by laurelja
    By the way how do I get a cute handle and picture onto my signature. You all spend way to much time pimping your sigs
    Go to the User CP in the blue bar above and that lets you add an avatar, edit your profile and signature, etc...

See ya tomorrow, Laurel. Tell Steve not to take his SS...particularly running 2:1...
    Ride more; post less...

Steep Hill
    Just a warning that the after-BBQ may be up in the air. Jean Michell had to cancel and I believe he was our only MMR contact - Cathy can confirm. I will still bring a few beers in case folks can hang.

Salty Dog

Good job! BBQ - no problem

Steep,

I talked to JM this morning and he is going to leave a card at the gate for Cathy. We can used the north east ramadas, but need to remember to bring charcoal for the pit, and keep in mind that moms and kids may be in the area, as well. I don't know how many might be planning to stay for the eats and treats, but a cold one after that ride sure sounds good to me.

Tommy

Steep Hill
    That is very nice of JM.

I will be limited on time but I am interested in whatever. Portobella's across the street serves bar food and draft beers. It'd be easy to grab a outside table but I'm open to whatever.

I am Walt

Upset Pffft...

So why am I posting now, when the ride is still going on? Because after starting down towards Lost Dog from the Taliesin Overlook, a rock caused havoc with my rear derailleur, shearing it off, snapping the chain, busting a spoke, etc. Here's some pictures from the start:
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Pix from the Taliesin Overlook, then of my carnage. Yes, I could have tried a trail fix to run it as a SS, but I did not want to do that on that bike when most of the grueling ride was still ahead. Plus, a spoke busted when the derailleur snapped.
    Last edited by waltaz; 11-11-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    So I coasted back to the car, running sometimes and pushing with one foot when necessary, sped home, grabbed my running shoes, went to the Hidden Hills TH, where the descent from Sunrise ends, and headed up to try and meet the group. I stopped at a switchback to take pix
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    more...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Yet some more...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Keep 'em coming...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Aaron was sweeping...then look who came along...some trail running chick...now I know why Aaron was hanging back...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Oh...the trail running chick is my wife...

Also, after the group passed, I kept running to the top so I could at least get a single bypass in...

And there is the "Northeast Passage" trail from the top of Via Linda over to Fountain Hills and the Golden Eagle TH.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Some view from the top of Sunrise back to the east/northeast. That is the top of the Sunrise trail from the west in the foreground. The saddle in the first pic is the Taliesin Overlook.
    Ride more; post less...

Tdub
    Hey Walt, saw you walking it down from near Taliesin and later heard about it from Steve. Bummer, but at least there wasn't an injury included. By the time I had caught up with Crash and Steve they were bringing up the rear...I'm sure they caught the rest of the gang. I chickened out in general and just did the quartz to Ringtail/Lost Dog loop. Brand new tires had knobs ripped off in multiple spot exposing sidewalls when I got home....the trail was chewing us up today. Oh well, like I said, no injuries reported thus far.
    Tdub

Got back to the truck around 2pm. Everybody really sucked it up for the climb up to Windgate. I forgot to turn right and almost lead about half the group up to Bell Pass. The Natural Wash trail is lots of fun. This is a much better exit route than the rock strewn double track we did last time. Ill post up some pics later I felt much better on this ride than the first DP. We had good weather all day. It got a little hot heading up to Windgate but cooled down quite nicely for the fun descent on the other side. Crash well crashed but didnt suffer any major carnage. Dont remember how many people finished (we had 30 to start?).

RHRF!
    Sep 2006
    I can account for 3 of the 30 finishing. Jimbo, M. Lugo, and myself (Dana). We did the old Double Bypass route (up Bell) and finished at 11:45. I felt much better than the last time and not as much walking.
    A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at the office.

Route Info

meow
    Hey Walt -

I was bummed to hear the mechanical ended your ride, and impressed that you rode home and then RAN up that hill to take some pics! Thanks for doing that! The rest of the ride, er should I say walk, was great. Jill, Mark, TitusBro, Aaron, and another nice guy that I didn't get his name took Bell Pass down to shorten the suffering. Three of them rode the entire downhill! Kudos to everyone who did this one, it was a lot of work and worth every minute!

Steep Hill
    Sorry Walt - I know you were looking forward to bagging another SBD.

What a ride! Great seeing old and new friends, many who I've wanted to meet for some time. It was a pleasure to ride with everyone of you - very cool people. I'm guessing 15 or so finished and after seeing pre-ride pics I'm curious what happened to a few of 'em.

Props out to Solange, who innocently shows up and asks "So...where we riding today?". Haha. You nailed it girl.

Special thanks to Cathy, Pat, Walt, JM (for leaving the key), everyone who gave me food afterward. That pizza kicked ass.

Let's ride again Troy!
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie

cycljunkie,

did you really have an average heart rate of 145bpm over 6h43min with 2h40min of that at 166-190bpm? holy smokes that pump was working it...

mtbr member
    Looked like a great ride, and great pics Walt. I'm so bummed that I wasn't there.

Soon my ride will be outta the shop, and I'll be able to rip it again. Until then I'm relegated to ride my commuter bike around the neighborhood, looking at new potential bikes, and reading great trip reports on here.

Peace Y'all

Sam

I had been off the bike for 2 weeks and decided this would be a good ride to start up with (with a chest cold to boot!). I hit 190bpm within the first 15 minutes of the ride. After that I think I was able to regulate my breathing a little and only had one other spike above 180.

A few photos...

follow the link.

RHRF!

Everything goes better...

...with beer!

Great day, great people, great ride! Kudos to everyone that came along for the fun... and this time it felt like fun because I felt much better than the first SDB session - almost cramped but never ACTUALLY did. Having some food and beverage at the end was a great motivation to finish. Walt- sorry you and your wife, actually maybe just your wife , couldn't make the finish! Damn, I gotta start pumping more iron if that's one of the benefits.

Let's do it again in another month!

RHRF!
    A few more pics...

RHRF!
    Last ones...

mtbr member
    Great ride, had lots of fun.... to bad about the Brokebike Mountain thing
    Accept anything, push nothing away

I am Doctor Remulak
    Great pics from everyone, some day I'll make one of these rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great ride, great beer! Fun seeing it in photos...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That ride was the cats ass!

4200 feet elevation gain is a good days work, no matter how you slice it.

Thanks to all - great pictures and use of technology (GPS) - I look forward to the next ride - perhaps a south mountain loop?

Dan

mtbr member
    Bummed I missed this one I'm still getting over being sick so this ride would have been too much.

Dirdir says this is Walt's fav. trail system so I'm sure another Double By Pass will happen

It's a slugfest!

A note to my mother:

Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    ....Jill, Mark, TitusBro, Aaron, and another nice guy that I didn't get his name took Bell Pass down to shorten the suffering. Three of them rode the entire downhill! Kudos to everyone who did this one, it was a lot of work and worth every minute!

Dear Mom,

I know you'll never find this note from your oldest son, buried within an MTBR posting and all, but I thought I would just take a minute to let you know that I'm still alive. I know that you had high hopes for me, and that you were disappointed when I turned out NOT to be a Doctor or Dentist or such. So last Saturday I went on a mountain bike ride with some friends. Here's what Cato had to say about me....."Jill, Mark, TitusBro, Aaron, and another nice guy that I didn't get his name took Bell Pass down to shorten the suffering." Did you here that mom? She called me a nice guy. That is way better than her saying "Jill, Mark, TitusBro, Aaron, and a really mean guy...." So yeah...I guess I'm doing pretty good. I even called out your name a dozen or so times on the trail...

It was a good, hard, ride. Thanks to all who helped put this thing together. Walt, how the heck did you climb up the back side of Sunrise so fast to take those pictures??? Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I will now at least know what to expect for the "triple"!

Later.

SS (one-of-the-Steve's)
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by kopec
    That ride was the cats ass!
    Hey Dan, I forgot to take a closer look at your Gravity Dropper lever setup. What was it you used to rig it up?

Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used the IT "Golden Spoon" switch from my Manitou Nixon.

I takes up less space on the bar, and is much more comfortable to use than the stock lever.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Walt, how the heck did you climb up the back side of Sunrise so fast to take those pictures???
    I hustled the bike back up to the Taliesin Overlook, coasted down the back, jogged or pushed with one leg to Quartz, coasted down Quartz, pushing with one leg when necessary, coasted/pushed back to the car, sped home, changed shorts and grabbed my trail shoes, sped up to the Hidden Hills trailhead, then ran up the trail. I had hoped to catch everyone at the saddle before descending from Sunrise or at least at the tight switchback with the saguaro cactus guarding it, but saw riders up there starting down and I realized I wouldn't make it, so I ran back down a ways to the switchback where I stopped to take pictures as that was a decent photo op spot.

After everybody passed, I ran back up to the top of Sunrise, then back down. I had to get more of a workout in as I was pissed about missing out on the epic I had been looking forward to for weeks. BTW, from the top of Sunrise, I could see you guys starting up the Northeast Passage jeep road over to Golden Eagle.

I think I may try and do this solo as soon as I get a bike back just to catch up on the riding. I'll post up if I do if anyone wants to join.
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    I think I may try and do this solo as soon as I get a bike back just to catch up on the riding. I'll post up if I do if anyone wants to join.
    Definitely let us know, Walt, as I/we may join you. I wanted to do this ride but missed it because of being sick the whole week preceding this ride...
    ~~~

Steep Hill
    Walt, I might be in for next weekend or at least some version of Windgate and the Quartz connector circuit.

I love that new connector trail!!!!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    Walt, I might be in for next weekend or at least some version of Windgate and the Quartz connector circuit.

I love that new connector trail!!!!
    Yeah, I heard from Jim that the connector from Bell Pass to Quartz is great and much better than the rock strewn mess at the bottom of Bell, not to mention not having to ride the road back over to Quartz.
    Ride more; post less...

Salty Dog

... and if we just ... Paradise trail and MSC Closures

Folks,

A couple points to ponder:

The connector trail from Gateway loop (the Bell Pass and Windgate connector) is now officially known and signed as Paradise trail. So, if you connect from Natural Wash and head north that's what you are on. Whew.

Point 2: I learned from email today that Windgate Pass, Bell Pass, and apparently the Gateway Loop are signed as "closed" as of last Friday. Since we came over from the east summit of Windgate I didn't see that signage. So, officially, those trails are closed. Keep in mind that should you decide to 'trespass' you are doing so at will (as if we wouldn't anyway, huh?) and the City of Scottsdale and McDowell Sonoran Conservancy will accept no liability (not that they likely would anyway).

You should also know that some of the 'hiking' stewards for MSC are concerned about bike traffic on those trails.

I am hearing that the closures are temporary and only until which time the Gateway trailhead is in place with parking and such.

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    so I'm sure another Double By Pass will happen
    I'd be up for a three-peat!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Folks,

A couple points to ponder:

The connector trail from Gateway loop (the Bell Pass and Windgate connector) is now officially known and signed as Paradise trail. So, if you connect from Natural Wash and head north that's what you are on. Whew.

Point 2: I learned from email today that Windgate Pass, Bell Pass, and apparently the Gateway Loop are signed as "closed" as of last Friday. Since we came over from the east summit of Windgate I didn't see that signage. So, officially, those trails are closed. Keep in mind that should you decide to 'trespass' you are doing so at will (as if we wouldn't anyway, huh?) and the City of Scottsdale and McDowell Sonoran Conservancy will accept no liability (not that they likely would anyway).

You should also know that some of the 'hiking' stewards for MSC are concerned about bike traffic on those trails.

I am hearing that the closures are temporary and only until which time the Gateway trailhead is in place with parking and such.

Tommy
    Salty Dog-

This information is worthy of a new topic, rather than being buried in this monster post.

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    The connector trail is now officially known and signed as Paradise trail.
    "The road to Paradise is paradise." ~ Old Spanish Proverb

Just came across this quote tonight in a book I've been reading ("Laurel Canyon"). Thought it was appropriate enough to pass on. Thanks for the heads up SD.

Salty Dog

New Post done

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Salty Dog-

This information is worthy of a new topic, rather than being buried in this monster post.
    Thanks Mikey. I took care of it.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Members who have read this thread: 0