mtbr member

Mcdowell Long Loop

Looks like someone put in a handicap ramp at The Step on the Long Loop. I thought I took a picture but it doesn't seem to be on my camera. I have yet to make it up it, but with a nice smooth path that goes around it, why bother.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    but with a nice smooth path that goes around it, why bother.
    Ultimately you need to decide if you want to man up and ride the step. I didn't make it my first time but now I clean it just about every time I attempt it. I will never take the by-pass route but that is just me.

Now that I think about it, I bet the person who made the "smooth" route must be the same one who moved that rock at Estrella... ....hmmm, one may never know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    Looks like someone put in a handicap ramp at The Step on the Long Loop. I thought I took a picture but it doesn't seem to be on my camera. I have yet to make it up it, but with a nice smooth path that goes around it, why bother.
    That damn step was the straw that broke my clipless pedal's back. But, it wasn't me, I swear.

A plethora of pinatas
    Marty

mtbr member
    I'll always keep trying it. Just can't seem to figure which is the best line to approach it. But it seems to me when an easier option is available, that is what most people will take and eventually the trail will be "moved" enough it may not give you an option to get a good line to go up the step.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    it really isn't that hard. pop the front wheel and then kick while shifting your weight forward and you will pop right up it.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Trail Monger
    But you need speed to get up this obstacle. I spudder out and get up it but it seems more to do with luck. If it was'nt on hill...

mtbr member
    If I am in shape then the step is a cinch. I climb in a higher gear, in other words I am not spinning- I am climbing in a gear that is like SS gearing. Naturally, climbing in that gear has me standing over the bars. I just pedal into a small wheelie then bunny hop the rear as I shift my weight forward to keep climbing. Now when I do it, out of shape and sitting and spinning, it is much more difficult to clear and I am about 25% clearance rate! Momentum is the key.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    I usually try to climb in higher gears too and by the time I get around that last curve my legs don't have enough gas left. Maybe I will click down a gear or two and try it again.

livin' the dream......
    Have not ridden the long loop in a few months. I am 50/50 on the step. It is all in my head when I do not make it.

Members who have read this thread: 0