MBAA Estrella this weekend!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MBAA Estrella this weekend!

Hey guys and gals- it's race time. Come on out. Did you know that MBAA has a first timer class- free race entry to first time racers! The long loop is pretty easy to do for most folks and the only hard part is the switchback climb- steep and short so walk it if you have too!

Everyone that comes out, I will be helping out in registration in the early morning so come say hello so I can put a face to the names. I will be wearing a Swiss American racing jacket (really red and colorful). Also I will be racing sport men 35-39 on my SS. Come by and check out the Swiss American camp and try out one of the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery micro brews. We would appreciate a small donation for ice and cups, but the first brew is free! Rock Bottom is one of our sponsors, and I guarantee you will like thier beer and thier food is awesome (good thing since I do not drink!). If you can, volunteer to help the MBAA crew out. Word is you can get a free race entry for helping out for a few hours.

Even if you don't want to race, come by and say hello, and if you are a first time racer, Swiss American will adopt you for the day and make sure all your questions get answered. Contact me here or there if interested.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

AKA shitbird
    I'm gonna do my first race out there this weekend, still need to register though. I can't wait! The race sounds like fun and put beer in the mix and looks like a perfect weekend! See ya there!

mtbr member
    Beer after the race! Not before is my only advice- I know you wouldn't do that- just goofing with you.

One change- I will be riding a 2006 Giant Anthem 1 this weekend. Seems it needs a test ride and I got the job! Look for a report here and elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Race weekend

Props to CSTEM for doing a little race promo. Estrella is going to be fun. I will be racing Expert 19-39. I think everyone in this forum should be racing. Everyone is allways surprised how much fun they have. Come on out.

mtbr member
    Thanks Cstem, i think i will come out and sandbag in the Sport Class. Everytime I move up to Expert its DFL, besides I dont have a license. I would like to pre-ride the course and at sport its described at 4 miles tech, 10 miles long and 4 tech. Anyone know which direction the race will run? I have run a couple of races where they where they dont tell you direction until race day. If anyone is going out to pre-ride I am interested in hooking up since I have never ridden Estrella.
    Heres the race link
    http://www.mbaa.net/content/index.php?id=21,32,0,0,1,0

AKA shitbird
    I just tried to register for this but it's too late (Wednesday was last day) to do it online and it's $50 fee (ouch!) for day of race registration. I don't suppose they would drop that fee too for a first time racer, would they ? Oh well, maybe I'll just wait for the White Tanks race. Damn I suck....

mtbr member
    i will be talking to Gen about that late fee thing. I think $15 is ridiculous. Five might be okay to cover the cost of ahving someone there to do it. I think the MBAA loses many racers who did not get signed up in time (like us - I forgot as well) and decide not to do it at all. With the way that races are populated right now, which is very poorly, we should be trying to get more racers and give more life to the sport, not punishing people for procrastination. I would show up and talk directly to Gen- I 'll bet if you volunteer some of your time, maybe to help stock the gatorade or something, the price will drop real quick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been having some health issues that just make it impossable to commit to anything. I hope to be there but I would not be able to know until tomorrow morning if I will feel good enough. The $15 charge certainly doesn't make it look to appealing....

A plethora of pinatas
    Ty and I will be there and racing. Ty will be racing 13-14 and I will be racing my SS in the Rock Crusher class (talk about an oxymoron!!). My brother, Corey, will be coming down from Flagstaff and racing expert. Late fees are pretty standard at any event. I know they stink, but "it is what it is."

I was getting my Trek Fuel ready to go for the race this week and I discovered a crack in the frame. Bummer, but you have to love Trek's lifetime warranty. I will be getting a brand new frame next week.

We will be sure stop by and say Hi. Feel free to stop by the Red Rock Racing area if you get a chance. No free beer, but the pleasure of my company should be enough. ;-)

Marty
    Last edited by mcoplea; 02-24-2006 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

yeah the fee sucks

i forgot to sign up as well, but i love racing and i will be there, especially when you figure the cost of a new crank, a new headset, a new set of wheels, and all the other things i hav invested, not to mention the cost of the bike, and all related equipment. 15.00 extra is not too bad, i wont be late again thats for damn sure. if you think about mow much you have sacarificed in order to be in racing condition and how hard you have worked, 15 bucks or approximately the cost of 7 galllons of gas or 2 slime filled tubes is not much. i say go and remember to register next time. probably wont be a problem for most since we all were spent,,literally from the HITOP. happy racing, ill be the guy with the empty pockets amd a huge smile on my face as i pass you...:-)

AKA shitbird
    I read the rules wrong. $15 fee is much better. I thought it was a $50 late charge on top of the $35 normal charge. Cool, I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jake didn't seem to have a problem with slamming one before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Beer after the race! Not before is my only advice- I know you wouldn't do that- just goofing with you.

One change- I will be riding a 2006 Giant Anthem 1 this weekend. Seems it needs a test ride and I got the job! Look for a report here and elsewhere.
    Swiss carries Giant?

mtbr member
    Swiss does not carry Giant-yet. It is a demo the rep left for them. I raced it today and the bike is pretty awesome. I never rode it before the race, which is really stupid on the most technical course we race! I crashed it really hard (my fault not the bike) and it held up well. I was happy to not finish DFL but I am paying the price now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Swiss does not carry Giant-yet. It is a demo the rep left for them. I raced it today and the bike is pretty awesome. I never rode it before the race, which is really stupid on the most technical course we race! I crashed it really hard (my fault not the bike) and it held up well. I was happy to not finish DFL but I am paying the price now.
    That was some race. I think i fell four times and skinned both legs and one arm pretty good. I had the medic guys bandage up a finger that didnt look too good. I rode a HT around the course and after a few falls i am rethinking racing hardtails. i dont care what anyone says on that course the HT gives up a couple of minutes. You guys at Swiss are OK in my book--nice little beer garden.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd rather go ride up and down Bill Williams Mtn. Very fun descent, very cool climb.

I can't see what the interest is in racing.

I'm afraid I won't be visiting your race, although I have a coworker that will.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'd rather go ride up and down Bill Williams Mtn. Very fun descent, very cool climb.

I can't see what the interest is in racing.

I'm afraid I won't be visiting your race, although I have a coworker that will.

Where is Bill Williams mountain?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Where is Bill Williams mountain?
    About half a mile south of the town of Williams. Northern Arizona, right off of highway 40. A very "flagstaff-esque" destination, without the crowds.

Amazingly fun trail, the lower part has some really nice features.

I was kind of ranting above, but I just get tired about hearing how "great" racing is, when the trails usually suck, and you "get" to ride with a whole bunch of other people clogging the trail all up...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    That was some race. I think i fell four times and skinned both legs and one arm pretty good. I had the medic guys bandage up a finger that didnt look too good.

Yeah this sounds like my typical trips to Estrella as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm curious what everyone thinks about the sand-baggers? I thought I did pretty well to do the long loop(beginners) in just over an hour, only to find myself 14 min behind the leaders. I don't think anyone that can do that loop in under 50 mins should be in a beginner race and beginners should not be shaving their legs ....

mtbr member
    This particular course because its so rocky and "crappy" probably gets more than its share of sandbaggers. I thought i might be sandbagging but because of the hard time holding on with the hardtail and a mid pack finish I dont think I was SB at all. I saw a couple of guys who had "sb" writtten on their legs. Guys who were clocking the beginner course in 45-55 minutes probably should have been in Sport since they were hardly breaking out a sweat. Some of the sport riders seemed way too serious. i saw a couple of guys spinning on trainers just before the race. One guy passed me like I was standing still. He definitely should have been in expert.

Low speed, High Drag
    I hate sandbaggers. Unfortunately, they're in every type of racing, and always will be. I think the sponsor of the series could do more to eliminate them, but they never will.

I'll never see the point in bragging about winning the beginner class, more than once. If I told somebody I beat the next nearest guy by 14-15 minutes, then had to tell 'em I was in the beginner class, I'd shame myself in to moving up a class.

mtbr member
    Jayem- racing is about competition, plain and simple. Not that rec riding is bad- I love that too! But being the header on this thread included the word racing, and you do not like racing, the fact you posted your dribble on it just shows you are a freaking grouch. I think you need a good ride to make you feel better as my wife would tell me .

Sandbaggers! Yes there are so many, but you will never get away from them. My personal idea to fix that is this. Compute the average mph of the next class up (lets say sport) and thier top 10 finishers. If you are a beginner and your avg mph is as good or better than the 10th place finisher of sport- you get bumped, and you take 75% of already accrued beginner points with you. The reason promtoers don't do this is they are afraid of scaring off customers. However the customers they would scare away are theo ones who want road races in the dirt for courses, so who cares? Now shaved legs do not make a fast guy- they make a guy who crashes alot heal faster! Sport and beginner (especially beginner) could use awarm up on a trainer since beginner is so short, you could be nice and warmed up for your race. Sport at least has some distance to warm up ,recover and race.

So far this season has not gone my way and it is my fault. I hurt myself at the beginning of training, then when healed started 10 credits in school while working full time and servicing a marriage and a house. Too much on my plate right now. So I think I am gonna back it down a notch this year, race a few endurance events, maybe a road event or whatever and concentrate on the rest of my life. There is always next year!

Occidental Tourist
    i've never seen kids race. that was cool.
    my kid was less than impressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    while the race wasn't overly hard on the body (just a few scrapes and some soreness), my bike is a-hurtin'. The end count was one derailleur sheared off, a few spokes down with about 5 more damaged to where i'm going to replace them and one of the little loop things also taken home by some rock out there. Luckily the deraileur issue happened at the bottom of the last hill on the last lap, meaning that with a bit of running i could get to the top then coast it on down to the finish with a few foot pushes to get me up the dips.

Not my favorite course, particularly when slogging through the sand on the long loop, but i suppose they can't all be nice flowing trails. And no way would i have been wanting to do that on a HT. I was getting bounced around enough as it was fully suspended.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i thought about the average MPH as well, I think it would work. Another option is figure out what the minimum time should be, anyone under that time gets bumped? They are afraid to scare off the baggers? By not moving them up they are scarring the true beginners from continuing, and moving up as well by simply setting a bad example.

Maybe if they won't do it, we should? They want their moment of glory on the podium, it may not be so glorius if they were geered by us yelling "BAGGERS!!!!" At this point I think that MBAA could save some money by giving out yellow bags of sand rather then medals, no use in showing that off. We could also make them ride with the sand in the next race to slow them down, as well as being something similar to the scarlet letter........ Maybe just let the crowd vote for the "biggest bagger" at each race?

anyone in on this with me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

damn sandbaggers!!!!

i didnt want to start a thread about this, but since someone else has....
    i hate them alot. i have been riding for about 3 years and this is my first race season. i think i qualify as a beginner, and to the guy who believes that if someone is finishing this race in less than 50 min, they are sandbagging, i totally agree. i met someone recently who has ten years riding experience, defines himself as an expert agressive rider and has been in and won several races before, and is in the beginner class.. total bs. but think of this, his time was only 4 min faster than mine, so when i have the experience he has, ill be a far better rider. he specifically told me he is riding to get a state championship..total bs. people like this make me sick, they are the reason noone races. i race to win, but if i have to settle for 6th and seventh place everytime i race, why do i want to continue. now heres the real butt kicker, they will win the series, and when i move up to sport next year so i am not sand bagging they will be there, acting like they own the world. all i know is im out there to do better each time. this is my first season and i am going to move to sport next year, i have only been in three races this year and dont feel as though im ready to do it yet. i dont want to hurt someones chances for glory if they have earned it. i havent yet. but the damn sandbaggers!! the top 3 in the class this year are killing last years times, they should move up, but thats just my opinion, more power to them if they stay and want a title, for being able to win a 50 min race woo hoo.

i had a blast at the race, this one was handled beautifully, but when the podium is stacked that high with bs it is hard to continue, now......who thinks im sandbagging? 52 flat on the long loop...i think im about where i should be.....beginning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just looked over the MBAA rules. They say they pick the beginner course and we should expect to be on the trail around an hour................... I agree that they take the fun out of it and someone should do something.

I'll geer the baggers at the next race, hope I am not alone.............

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

thats the easy way

but i bet they freak out and deem us as unsportsman or something, i say let them have their fun and when they graduate to real racing noone will care if they won in a beginner class, except for the family members who dont know any better. anyone in the biking community will know what they accomplished, its like training for the olympics only to go and compete at a high school level contest. they will get theirs, in the form of us getting pissed and getting better, which is the point right. im not going to let this rent space in my head too long especially since that is what those losers want, attention, i say noone cheers them on, didnt they look cute on the podium wearing their jerseys and riding their sponsored bikes while the rest of us work our way up and fight to be the best we can, i plan on fixing my backup bike and hitting the trail tomorrow around 145 and kicking some ass on my lungs. if i can beat them at their own game, and then move to sport, mid season, and ruin their hopes for wuss glory, ill be a happy dude. we all know the truth, and people will only think of us as pansies if we geer at them, i want them removed, but that wont happen until someone decides to sabotage, lets get them out the right way, if not now, next season, in the end everyone gets theirs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

So am I a Sandbagger?

I got a call from a friend who races and he said to check out this forum which I didn't even know existed. Not that I have to defend myself, however, I will. So, I got my first MTB for Xmas 05 and started riding shortly there after. McDowell was my first race and I finished 6th. Trained a little harder for Estrella and finished 1st. I was planning on moving up to sport after I finished in the top 3. You will see me there next race. If anyone else wants to join me, we can leave these whiners in the beginner races.

Peace

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by azkanga
    I got a call from a friend who races and he said to check out this forum which I didn't even know existed. Not that I have to defend myself, however, I will. So, I got my first MTB for Xmas 05 and started riding shortly there after. McDowell was my first race and I finished 6th. Trained a little harder for Estrella and finished 1st. I was planning on moving up to sport after I finished in the top 3. You will see me there next race. If anyone else wants to join me, we can leave these whiners in the beginner races.

Peace
    Don't worry about it. No matter what, there'll always be a big disparity between winners and losers. You have to go out there and see where you're at, because when you ride by yourself or a certain couple riders, you'll never really know how you stack up. There'll always people like you in good shape that don't have experience and need to start off in the bottom class. If the others don't like it, they just need to TRAIN. I thought they went to the race to be competative anyhow?

mtbr member
    Kanga- first you should be congratulated for your quick and naturally talented ability. I don't think anyone knowing your circumstance would call you a sandbagger. I generally call a sandbagger someone who has been in the class previously, has fitness and skill to beat everyone handily and maybe has at least 4 races on them.

I raced beginner my first year and did horribly. My second year- before I even raced- I entered Sport knowing I would kick butt since I was training heavily and already had the tech skill. I did and got 4th for my efforts on the year. Why not stick in Beginner after getting 19th overall? Because I did not want to go down like that and I had a year already to learn the ropes of racing MTB. That is what Beginner is for. For you- a true beginner getting sixth and then first is pretty good- but I recognize some of the names you are finishing with- and they should move up. However- even though my proposed rules change would include you, I still think it might work.

mtbr member
    I got my first MTB for Xmas 05 and started riding shortly there after.
    I need to get on your training program.
    "Pour water in the tea pot and it becomes the tea pot. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

just like cstem said

Peace
    were not pissed at guys like yourself who have never raced before and deserve what you earned. you did great to go from a top 10 finish to a top 3 finish is astounding, were pissed at the guys who have way too much experience to be in that class. how motivating is it to compete when you get killed by nearly 4 min from the lead guys? especially when they have been in many races. and just like jayem said, we are here to compete, but it is kind tough to compete with people who are way to fast to even try, you are not sandbagging in my opinion, you are the guy we will all be trying to beat. you know what, i think i am going to jump to sport as well, if i get better than 6th this time im jumping, i need to know what im up against for next season. keep up the great racing, sorry you misunderstood our bickering, but im sure you can understand our frustrations,

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Peace

Let me get this straight, you got your bike less then 3 months ago and can now turn in times that fast? That is not "natural" talent but if it is I wanna shake yer hand and get an autograph, it should be long before the pros are complaining that something is not right......

I call bs......

Whats the real story?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

racing class or lack there of

TTOC- that is rather condescending and unsportsmanlike. One of the big draws of mountain bike races is the atmosphere lets not ruin that. If anyone entered a race series got 6th then 1st and is moving on to sport on his own not because of mbaa rules I think that is great. It is just nice to have one more person racing a mountain bike. We need all we can get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ems3564
    TTOC- that is rather condescending and unsportsmanlike. One of the big draws of mountain bike races is the atmosphere lets not ruin that. If anyone entered a race series got 6th then 1st and is moving on to sport on his own not because of mbaa rules I think that is great. It is just nice to have one more person racing a mountain bike. We need all we can get.
    i was simply quoting him. Unsportsmanlike to me would be racing in a catagory lower then your skill level to get an easy win.

I agree that it is great that he is moving up to sport, as he should. I stopped at a red light today, as I should have. I just have a hard time believing that he rode that bike out from under the x-mas tree into a 6th place finish, then started training and took 1rst. How many people do you know that have done this? If I'm wrong I'll apologize and buy him a beer at the next race.
    Last edited by ttocs; 02-27-2006 at 07:34 PM.

A plethora of pinatas
    Sandbaggers suck. Always have and always will. This is what the MBAA's website has to say about classes. Race in the category that fits your "true" abilities.

5) CATEGORIES AND CLASSES
    --5.3) “Category" refers to the rider’s skill level as follows:
    Beginner: casual local competitor (racing time intended/anticipated about 60 minutes)
    Sport: intermediate regional competitor (racing time intended/anticipated about 90 minutes)
    Expert: advanced national/regional competitor (racing time intended/anticipated about 120 minutes)
    Semi-Pro: aspiring professional Pro: highest national/international competitor (Both Semi-Pro and Pro racing time intended/anticipated about 150 minutes)

azkanga - Welcome to MTB racing and congradulations on your fast improvement.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 02-27-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0