Mbaa Enduro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mbaa Enduro

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Mbaa Enduro

Anyone else happy to see that there will be an enduro in Prescott? Hopefully this will lead to more of them in Arizona and maybe even a series. Here is the webpage if anyone would like more info. https://mbaa.net/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a new neon orange helmet.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    It is great to have this new type of race offered by MBAA. I will be there on August 27th for sure.

The .05 percent
    Need a true DH race series in AZ
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Interesting. My best guess is that the last segment of the course will take you as far up to PCT (Prescott Circle Trail) Badger/P-Mountain and Chisholm trail dirt road. Just a guess. .
    Coordinates That dowhnill section of the PCT is super fun. Especially from P-mountain down to 69 underpass.

Regardless, Peavine up to Turley is hot one. Bring your SPF 10⁴ sunblock if it's not rainy that day. Hint: just before the detention center, there's an off-camber spot on the PCT that does its best to spit you off the trail to the left with any kind of downhill speed. You'll know the spot from the skid marks of riders that went off. The penalty for going off shouldn't be too severe however.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Need a true DH race series in AZ
    Go make it happen! More bike options are a beutiful thing.

An enduro race is much closer to what you want, compared to any other AZ race, except for the MBAA Super D. Much respect to the folks that are championing this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    registration is now open for this event

mtbr member
    Is Prescott the best place in AZ for an enduro race?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickhall View Post

It may be the best available place.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Addicted to 2 wheels
    This is MBAA's first enduro and they are pulling it off pretty quick! If you have any interest in enduro mtb racing in AZ, you should try to attend this to at least show support for the format.

I spoke to them about the race and plans. Yes, this one is not very tech, but there are 4 timed down hills. How fast can you go? There are also plans for more tech locations and courses.

Also, Prescott can offer some great enduro courses.

mtbr member
    Any idea how much vertical drop each segment would be? I'm definitely interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    It may be the best available place.
    You're probably right. But it would be awesome to see one staged on Mt. Lemmon some day.

You're probably right. But it would be awesome to see one staged on Mt. Lemmon some day.

These grassroots organizations like MBAA, the Flaggpole crew and TORCA are the path toward making them happen, support them when possible. Apologies to all the others I left out.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Only if it's at the Dells.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    TORCA is hosting a Funduro on Mt Lemon on October 22nd or 23rd. I would love to do it, but already booked that weekend. Look up TORCA Pechanga 2016. I know there is more info on FB.

Scotth72, Enduro sections do not have to be all tech/gnar. Dells would be cool for sure though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sugarhigh. Thanks for the plug. This is indeed true. We'll be doing the Funduro on October 23rd and it will be down the Molino section of AZT and on down through Milagrosa. There will be at least three stages and it will be as tech as you could hope for. What's more is the cost is peanuts when you consider it's part of the Pachanga which includes, fun social rides, 2017 Demos from 9 manufacturers and counting, food, and camping all in one price!!

Check out torca.org or our facebook events page for details! Don't miss this!
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    I'll be pre riding in the area tomorrow but have no idea where to go? Can someone shoot me some info on where to park and what trails to ride? Yes I am aware of how unprepared I am. 😎

mtbr member
    The timed downhill sections are on Badger Mtn and Sundog trails. You can park near the middle of both trails at the Walmart (highlighted in pic) off of AZ-69 and Prescott Lakes Pkwy.

I'll be out there tomorrow as well. Not sure how much rain the area got but I'm betting the dirt is gunna be primo.

Name:  mbaa.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  53.3 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How does this work? I see that there are 4 intervals. Do you ride a loop but are only timed on the downhill sections? The MBAA doesn't have a map of the route and distance. Sorry, interested new guy.
    2018 Specialized Epic Pro 29
    2016 Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 29 *SOLD*
    2015 Specialized Hardrock Disk 29

mtbr member
    From the murmurings I've heard, I think you nailed it. Ride a loop, get timed on those 4 descents. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

mtbr member
    Safe to say advanced descending skills are needed?
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    Not if the downhills are on badger mountain and sundog.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ^LOL. Jayem, I see you in the Sus forum often, are you also located in the valley?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Track_Master View Post
    ^LOL. Jayem, I see you in the Sus forum often, are you also located in the valley?
    Nope, lived in Prescott for 11yrs, rode trails described above a year ago. Very familiar with the Prescott trail system.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Nope, lived in Prescott for 11yrs, rode trails described above a year ago. Very familiar with the Prescott trail system.
    Oh, then I suppose you can recommend which fvcking Avalanche tune these unadvanced downhill sections may require?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Track_Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Oh, then I suppose you can recommend which fvcking Avalanche tune these unadvanced downhill sections may require?
    I've also made Mrwhlr cry, so there's that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    Rode the trails this weekend and XC bike is plenty for those segments. Think more flow than tech

mtbr member
    Awesome thx!
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Which avalanche tune is recommended for this enduro race?

My other ride is your mom
    ^which color fanny pack is the better question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^which color fanny pack is the better question.
    on P-Mtn? Gotta be Pink or Purple!!
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    have they released the timed segments yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillis View Post
    have they released the timed segments yet?
    https://mtnbaa.files.wordpress.com/2...enduro-map.jpg

I'll be there helping out with starts or wherever needed.

mtbr member
    For those that make it up. Please take pictures of the XC riders on the podium in their full roadie kits for the rest of us to see.

KOM and QOM on those segments will probably win the race. I forsee an Olympian with the big W in the women's top class.

Let me know when MBAA fires up a true Enduro.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    For those that make it up. Please take pictures of the XC riders on the podium in their full roadie kits for the rest of us to see.

KOM and QOM on those segments will probably win the race. I forsee an Olympian with the big W in the women's top class.

Wow, I guess you can tell us when you'll be hosting a "real" Enduro.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

I thought enduro was for washed up/flunkie DH riders? I'm so confused....I was just starting to figure out the difference between trail and All-Mountain?

FWIW: ski's in the late 90's went through an All Mountain branding phase as well...until folks got wise and realized that everyone ski's the entire mountain unless you're a park rat.

Who's up for shuttling Schultz tomorrow? I've got gas money!!!!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I'm heading up tomorrow to ride some then helping out with the race on Saturday. I'll be a timer or assistant, not sure exactly what but I'll be there for the fun and help out so all the others can have a good time.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the average grade for these descents is -4%?

If true, Justin has a point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I'm heading up tomorrow to ride some then helping out with the race on Saturday. I'll be a timer or assistant, not sure exactly what but I'll be there for the fun and help out so all the others can have a good time.
    Thanks Taco!
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Not all courses are the same. Hats off to the MBAA and those involved for making this happen! We're headed up to race and promote the "Funduro" which will be held during the TORCA Pachanga on October 23rd on some *****in Enduro terrain. Become a TORCA member! We'd love to have the MBAA involved and perhaps we can work together as we have a solid relationship with the FS. Thanks for making this happen MBAA.
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

^^^^I'm ashamed for being sarcastic....peeps who work hard to get things going have my respect....even if its fluorescent. We all benefit from this....regardless of how or what we ride.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Shame but it was canceled due to rain, it never really stopped and they didn't want to destroy the trails. I believe it was a good call to reschedule the event and worked out for me since I had a bad hangover. a few of us headed down the BCT K-mine sections and had a good ride.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sounds like when I tried to ride those trails last October. It just kept raining harder and harder the further I went. Totally demoralizing.

mtbr member

Today was the race. Rained out last time I guess. I saw a picture of a carbon hardtail with 100mm travel next to the podium. And the Olympian won the gold. Congrats to the winners. Thank you MBAA for taking your first stab at Enduro. Let us know when it gets steep enough to wear pads and a full face so the gnar guys will participate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Today was the race. Rained out last time I guess. I saw a picture of a carbon hardtail with 100mm travel next to the podium. And the Olympian won the gold. Congrats to the winners. Thank you MBAA for taking your first stab at Enduro. Let us know when it gets steep enough to wear pads and a full face so the gnar guys will participate.
    Yes the course was not very techy at all, but I still had a good time and everyone else seemed to be having fun also. I took first place in amateur men's out of 60 plus riders on a santa cruz hightower. So not every class was won by xc riders in full roadie kits. I hope there is more races next year and some with a bit more tech.

mtbr member
    I was working the start at Stage 3. Seemed like everyone was having fun. Great weather this go around. I counted 121 people through the stage. Not the most technical, but still a fun trail to ride!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I wish I could have made it. I made the drive for the rain out, but the schedule would not allow this time. MBAA hinted that there will be more and the tech factor will be increased.

MBAA does a real good job organizing XC races for year. I am sure they are going to pull off some great events in the enduro format.

Thank you Geoff and all the other volunteers.