Maxxix DHF on the rear?- Mtbr.com
    Kathleen in AZ

Maxxix DHF on the rear?

Do any of you DHers put Maxxis DHFs on the rear wheel? I have no spare rear specific tires to replace the one I sliced this week but I do have three spare DHFs hanging in the garage (two 2.5s and one 2.7). Looking at the DHF tread it seems that it'd work okay for a rear tire, but I don't want to go to the bother of a ghetto tubeless setup if those in the know say "NO".

Thanks!!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    DG, I have done it facing both ways on the back, I preferred the opposite of the suggested rotation on the rear(backwards). Using it with regular rotation on the back made it feel too slippery under braking.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    DG, I have done it facing both ways on the back, I preferred the opposite of the suggested rotation on the rear(backwards). Using it with regular rotation on the back made it feel too slippery under braking.
    That's exactly the way I thought it would work.. thanks!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    That's exactly the way I thought it would work.. thanks!
    I try to counter my Kavurider personal attacks with good information on this board every once in awhile! Bummed I missed shuttles today but sore from GC yesterday.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I try to counter my Kavurider personal attacks with good information on this board every once in awhile! Bummed I missed shuttles today but sore from GC yesterday.
    I missed Squealer and shuttles and opted instead for much needed bike repairs in the garage this AM.... heading out for a little SoMo spin soon

mtbr member

Good job! DHF works well as a rear tire.

I think the DHF works better as a rear tire than the DHR. The DHR wore out really fast and lost traction as soon as the edges went off, which was not long. The DHF wore much better.

I had used the DHF up front, but thought it had a weird feel in transition. Kind of "all or nothing" as in you have to lay it over, because in between it slips. So I stuck it out back and reversed it for the most climbing traction. I was very, very surprised!! It seemed like it bit it's way up rocky, loose climbs better than any tire I can remember. I had no real problem under braking, but I try not to brake too hard and skid anyways. The trait I go for most in a tire is the ability to clean nasty hills, and ran in reverse, this tire is very good!!

Run it depending on what you want most. If you are downhilling with it you might run it for max braking effect. I did notice that in the back I did not feel the same sensation of slipping in the transition zone that I felt up front. In fact it felt really good cornering.

(a side note here: this was on a Motolite, not a downhill rig. Running it ghetto tubeless on Mavic 321 rims at 27psi. Single ply/2.35 folding 60A compound)

Pivotal figure
    Used to do that as well. I actually like the DHR better as a front tire. Weird how that worked out huh?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Fragile - must be Italian
    I have a Maxxis DHF on the back of my 6point, and I am not crazy about it. I run it in the recommended direction and traction is only so-so.

I have the single ply Minions and they are also pretty fragile. I've torn holes in the back tire 3x now, and each time I was able to nurse the Stans sealant to plug the hole.

If you have the 2.5, then I assume it's dual ply, so it won't be as fragile as my tires. But the traction should still be similar...only so-so.

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Used to do that as well. I actually like the DHR better as a front tire. Weird how that worked out huh?
    two of my spare DHRs are your hand-me-downs

Pivotal figure
    Hah! Forgot all about those. I'm a total tire whore
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use the Minion F's on both the front and rear and love em. No single ply, those are way too thin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I use the Minion F's on both the front and rear and love em. No single ply, those are way too thin.
    I ran the single ply in back at 27psi and had no problems even climbing up and down Milagrosa a couple times, and numerous rocky rides in Tucson Mountain Park.

This is on a 5" travel Motolite though, not a downhill rig, so I am probably picking my way down stuff rather than just bombing it.

Members who have read this thread: 0