Maxxis tires for Sedona trip?- Mtbr.com
    Freezer

Maxxis tires for Sedona trip?

Hey guys, I'll be in Sedona toward the end of June for a week of riding, and I'm looking for some tire advice from locals. I'm bringing my Yeti SB4.5 with a DHF on the front, and I'm trying to figure out what will be best on the rear. Trying to decide between a DHRII, HRII, and an Aggressor. I'm assuming it will be wet part of the time (right?), so the Aggressor is probably out. If it's really wet the HRII is good in mud/wet, but might be sketchy on rock but I don't know. Maybe the DHRII is a safe default? What do you guys think?

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Not local to Sedona but I do ride there.
    Ardent is what I've used. Ikon works good too.

Always in the wrong gear

I would not factor ‘wet’ into any tire decision for Sedona in June.
    According to NWS, Sedona got less than 0.75” of rain for the entire month last year.

A durable tire with a good casing is more important than tread pattern IMO. DHR or DHF would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    It will be hot, dry, and dusty. The chances of rain are pretty much nil in June.

Just my opinion but DHF and HR2 are tires that like to lean with knobs to jam into loamy soil. Not much of that in Sedona. DHR2 is a better tire for loose over hard and slickrock. Depends on how fast your going? Aggressor is a good all round choice.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I loved my 2.35 icons a few weeks back. Great traction on the rocks and hardpack and they roll well. A DHF/DHR would be overkill for a 4.5 in Sedona IMO, but it's more about the sealant and making sure you have good thorn protection, I got lots of thorns/glochids and having a good top-up allows you to ride all day with nary a worry as far as this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Freezer
    Hey guys, thanks a ton for the feedback! I had disremembered that we were in Sedona last August and it was into the wet season, so looks like June will be dry and dusty. I have an Aggressor, so I'll throw that on, and put in a bunch of Stans for the thorns. Can't wait! :-)

mtbr member
    They all work but I personally run Ardent (F) and Aggressor (R) out there. Most of my friends are a variation of DHF's, Aggressors and High Rollers with no issues.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I rode my Stache out there this last Thanksgiving with the 29x3.0 Chupacabras, not problem.
    Gman
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Orbea Alma M50
    2018 Cannondale Trigger 2

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Depends how light of a rider you are, weight and technique. I run a 2.3 DHF and 2.3 Aggressor on my 429T. Ardent/Ardent and Hans/Ardent were too sketchy for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I find the DHF 2.5 WT in front and Aggressor in the Rear is my go to throughout Arizona

mtbr member
    I just went through this same exact exercise last week even though I have been to Sedona now 4 times. I have a Santa Cruz Hightower and ultimately decided on Maxxis DHF Exo 3C MaxxTerra WT 2.5 / DHR II Exo 3C Maxx Terra WT 2.4. Here was my rationale:

The WT casing allows you to run lower pressures while still maintaining good cornering as well as reducing risk of cracking your rim on rocks. I ran 17 Front, 19 rear with no problem. Lower tire pressure is a good thing in Sedona as it helps you roll over all of the chunky rocks better.

I tried the 2.5 Dual Compound Aggressor in the on a ride before I headed out to Sedona - it didn't have as much advantage in rolling resistance as one would think. I also found that at the same pressures I ran the DHR, that the Aggressor didn't feel as planted to me. It is also a bit heavier than the DHR II.

There were a couple of sections that I wanted to try this year that the extra breaking advantage of the DHRII over the Aggressor would be preferable. PS: The chute on HiLine is NASTY right now - the first part is very polished down (the rock actually looks black there) and I elected to walk that section this year.

There are some crux techy climbs up rocks etc. that I felt the DHRII would give me that extra bit of traction.

I also considered a Rekon 2.4 in the back but although a bit lighter (880 grams vs. 950 grams for the DHRII) I feel the DHRII just offers more confidence in bike handling overall.

If you are a really good rider, the Aggressor may be a better choice. But I enjoy the added confidence of the DHRII and that confidence translates to me handling the bike better. Ultimately, I was very happy with my choice and had a blast!

mtbr member
    The DHR2 is a great front tire for Sedona. I like it simply for the braking on steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The DHR2 is a great front tire for Sedona. I like it simply for the braking on steep stuff.
    This^^2.3wide maxterra3C exo tubeless on your SB4.5 (it's what I run in Sedona and elsewhere on the same bike) for the Front and an aggressor 2.3 dual compound Rear. I'd go wider with the same setup if you bring a bike with 5" travel or more.
    2019 SB150
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 FollowingV2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2016 Farley

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I ran 17 Front, 19 rear with no problem. Lower tire pressure is a good thing in Sedona as it helps you roll over all of the chunky rocks better.!
    Wow.. How much do you weigh? At my weight - 220# my rims would not last long at those pressures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Not helpful for the specific tire options given, but I've had nothing but good luck with Specialized Butchers front and back all over Sedona. I consider GRID casing to be a minimum standard in AZ (most of my riding is in the rockier Phoenix area though.) I do have the newer BLCK DMND casing on the rear right now as I tend to run pretty low pressures in rocky bits around town. I'd say that casing would be overkill for Sedona, but it also hasn't hampered me in Sedona either. 27.5x2.6 front and back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Wow.. How much do you weigh? At my weight - 220# my rims would not last long at those pressures.
    I run 19psi F and 21psi R on carbon rims on both my 27.5 and 29r bikes. I'll bump it up if I do an enduro race or I know I'll be hitting a trail with jumps to flat. 200lb kitted up. You really can run low pressure on the wider rims.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    215 kitted - the WT Maxxis tires do a great job of allowing you to run lower pressures and still keep your rims safe. I use Light Bicycle rims. Zero issues.