mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Maxxis tires for AZ races

Looking for a set of Maxxis tires to start doing some endurance races. Not at the level to have several different tires for different races yet This will be a second set of tires to swap out my Rekons 2.6 I use for trail riding on my 120mm Niner Jet9 RDO

Rims are Stans Arch i26mm. Iím thinking Aggressor for the rear and maybe Ikon, Ardent Race or Rekon Race for a front.

Races would be races anywhere from McDowell Meltdown here the valley to Wiskey, Barn Burner and TOWM. And maybe some AES stuff.

What size do you guys recommend? I was thinking 2.35 rear and maybe 2.4 front. But interested in what you guys are running.

Ahhh the pain....
    So many options..
    I've run this lots: 2.35 Ikon F, 2.2 Ikon rear..... Fast AF, and love the bigger tire up front.
    Also ran Ardent Race 2.35 F, 2.2 Ikon rear... love it in places like Flag and Sedona..
    Just bought some rekon races...I think they might be the go to for rear tires...a few folks I know are running them.

For fast XC, I don't think you can go wrong with Ikons, AR, and Rekon races...all fast tires and in the TR/Exo/3C casing, they are pretty solid. The Ikon 2.2 and the AR 2.2 share the same casing and it's a solid 2.2+ width...lots of volume... I think the rekon race shares the casing with the forekaster and not sure if the 2.25 ends up that big...

btw, I've done all sorts of AES races for years with these tires...solid stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Maxxis tires for AZ races

Curious as to your rationale for looking at the agressor, a much more gravity focused, heavier, slower rolling tire than even your Rekons for the rear for XC with more traditional XC tires up front. I cannot imagine needing that in the rear for any kind of XC riding, and wanting the big heavy burly and slow tire in the rear with fast rolling up front seems backwards to me. Maybe if you expand upon the rationale we can make better recommendations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I might be confusing the Aggressor as a fast rolling trail/ DH tire

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    It is pretty much an enduro rear tire, more aggressive than the rekon, intended to match to something like a DHF or High Roller II up front.

That said, I like the 2.35 Ikon rear 2.4 Rekon front for more XC riding, but if I was racing more seriously I would lean toward a 2.35 Ardent Race up front instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím looking f or the best ďall aroundĒ combo. More concerned with finishing, then finish times.

Iím 200 with race gear. I think I like the 2.35 rear 2.4 front combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I just bought Ardent 2.25's for front and rear.

I plan on using them at the McDowell Meltdown endurance race.

I'm kinda a newbie. Did I screw up?

I'm about 165-170lbs all geared-up.

Ahhh the pain....
    Regular Ardents are just kinda slow... Some like them as a front tire, but complain about how they feel through the transition zone (as you lean them).
    Ikons F&R would have been faster but if you're new to this and aren't expecting a podium, heck, wear out those Ardents and then try something else next go around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I need a new set. Right now Iím running Rekon 2.6 for trail riding.

Iím leaning toward a 2.25 Rekon Race rear and 2.35 Ardent Race front

Also. Is there a cut off time for the McDowell meltdown endurance race? I know the pack is fast. Iím looking to make that my first long race. I wonít be keeping up with the fast kids

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I need a new set. Right now Iím running Rekon 2.6 for trail riding.

Iím leaning toward a 2.25 Rekon Race rear and 2.35 Ardent Race front

Also. Is there a cut off time for the McDowell meltdown endurance race? I know the pack is fast. Iím looking to make that my first long race. I wonít be keeping up with the fast kids
    FiveO,

With me in the race, I guarantee that you won't be last.

Particularly, since I'll be riding crappy Ardents

mtbr member
    2018's TOWM overall was a Aspen/Aspen combo.

Most XC riders run
    Ardent, Ardent Race, Ikon or Aspens
    With Ardents being a mostly front tire.

with sizing running from 2.10 to 2.4

I personally like a Ardent 2.4 or Ikon 2.35 front and a Ikon 2.20/2.35 rear. This is on a SS though if I run small tires. Usually it's XR2 3" front/rear
    Too Many .

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    2018's TOWM overall was a Aspen/Aspen combo.

Most XC riders run
    Ardent, Ardent Race, Ikon or Aspens
    With Ardents being a mostly front tire.

with sizing running from 2.10 to 2.4

I personally like a Ardent 2.4 or Ikon 2.35 front and a Ikon 2.20/2.35 rear. This is on a SS though if I run small tires. Usually it's XR2 3" front/rear
    Brave using an Ardent on front. Maybe for melo xc, anything else and u are on your face

mtbr member
    I run Ikon 2.35 front for a long time. Durable and stable. In the rear I have stopped using Maxxis since even with EXO they tend to cut sidewalls and if that happens it is a pain. I switched the Bontrager XR3 and XR2. Those have been great for many many miles. They can get tread cuts (got one on my rear XR2 on friday), but that can be saved with a plug.

I have done all the races you mention (except barn burner) on Ikon 2.35 / XR3 or XR2 2.2. Only cut/flat tire in a race was a rear Ikon in an AES race. That was a 2" cut on the sidewall from bead to tread 15 miles from car with 30 miles to go in a remote canyon on the AZT.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Brave using an Ardent on front. Maybe for melo xc, anything else and u are on your face
    To each their own really.
    I hate the Ardent Race on the front but my son likes it.
    I have no problems with a Ardent 2.4 on the front for all the XC races I do here and able to push the front hard in corners.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    My favorite tire combo for XC/light trail here in AZ is Vittoria Morsa 2.3 front and Mezcal 2.35 in the rear. The Morsa is actually a 2.4 and the Mezcal is more like a 2.3.

This combo rolls just as fast as pair of Ikon 2.35s with the Morsa providing great cornering traction when things get loose and the Mezcal similar grip as Ikon but rolling a bit faster.

Only downside is the Morsa being a tad heavy at 900 grams. Have yet to cut a Vittoria TNT sidewall (TNT seems tough) but have got a couple tread zone punctures.