Vitamin Bike Added

Maxxis Ardent Exo run tubeless... thoughts?

I finally beefed up the wheelset on my Yeti 575 from mavic 819s to Azonic outlaws run ghetto tubeless with UST Kenda Nevegals. While I never worried about weight in the past, the verdict is finally in, my bike just crossed the threshold to being too heavy. I am currently running a 36mm fork, beefy 60mm stem. My biggest complaint is that the front end went from feeling "lofty" and playful to heavy and hard to elevate and bunny hop. Long story short, I'm looking to have a mini weight-weenie moment and need a way to cut weight as efficiently as possible and I've got my eyes on the tires. Anyone running Maxxis Ardent with the Exo casings tubeless? (not the UST version). A friend of mine has them but he has the UST version which are close in weight to the UST nevegals. I want a tire with a solid enough sidewall to survive AZ and not run me a major risk at delamination and leakage or side wall failures. Also open to other ideas.

Also, anyone know if the stans kit is lighter than running the split tube?
    Keep the rubber side down

Got a suspension fork
    fwiw I'm running a Maxxis Ikon 3C EXO on the rear and so far the sidewalls seem really tough to me.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maxxis Ardent Exo run tubeless... thoughts?

I ran a nArdent Exo 2.4 tubeless for a few months. Def a beefy tire and killer steering tire. I took it off only to save some weight. Replaced it with a Nevegal. I was thinking of buying another Ardent. I was going to try the 2.25 but see that the weight differences are negligible

BTW, I've been running tubeless since 1999 and have never used a UST or tubeless specific tire. They're too heavy and expensive IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pivotal figure
    Just put one on my M4X this week. Setup tubeless with zero leaks overnight. Have 2 rides in with it and it's working great. Mine is the 2.25 casing and it still felt fine on National (running a 2.35 Ignitor on back). Solid sidewall and weight was 740 g (the Ignitor with LUST casing is 940g)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2.4 Ardent on the rear (non-ust) on EX Flows with no issues. I'm #225 kitted up so after 300 or 400 miles I think I would have burped it by now. In contrast, with Conti TK's I had to go UST. Tubless ready Hans Dampf did fine but they wear really quick and I wasn't that impressed with them as a front tire. Anyhow, the Conti 2.2 UST is still pretty light.

mtbr member
    been running the ardent exo 2.25's for a while now they work great tubeless and are pretty light and sturdy

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Ardent EXO 2.4 front, Ardent EXO TR 2.25 rear, both tubeless. Mounted to Crossmax ST, on a Niner RIP9.

I'm a very light rider, both in weight and style. 131 before pack, 153 with pack and clothing.

Running down Baby Jesus at 22psi front, 24psi rear, no rim dings, burps, or slips, just great grip. The side knobs hold well and the breakaway point is very predictable.

i use my own sealant blend, utilizing several commercially-available products mixed together, not having a flat for years, despite hitting cuttings of cacti and ocotillo with impunity
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Ardent Exo run tubeless... thoughts?-image.jpg  

Last edited by C.J.; 03-09-2014 at 07:13 AM. Reason: More info
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have used the 2.4 Ardent tubeless for almost a year and I have several friends still using it. I changed to a front tire with more tooth for loose conditions. Its a very large volume tire and good in rocks IMO.

mtbr member
    I run Ardents as a front tires on both my bikes -- both are the non-UST set up tubeless with Stans.

I have a rigid SS 29er with a 2.4 Ardent up front -- the extra volume helps soften up the ride. Hooks well on the loose stuff, it is lighter and has lower rolling resistance than Nevegal it replaced (now on my brothers bike).

I run a 2.25 Ardent on my Full Suspension 29er and it is excellent as well. I run low pressure (22lbs) and 3oz of Stans in both.

Other front tires I've tried in the past:
    Nevegal
    Small Block 8
    Slant Six
    Crossmark
    Geaux Saguaro
    Ignitor

I found the Ardent to be the best front tire for my personal preference and riding style which is mostly XC/AM.

mtbr member
    Ive been using the Maxxis Ignitors (non EXO) for about 2 years now. They are very light and do well in loose conditions. They are not very wide when you first install them, but they stretch quite a bit, so you end up with a true 2.1 after about one ride.

They seat perfectly on arch ex rims. I have had some sidewall tears (3 tears in about 4000 miles of riding) , so I will be trying the EXO versions now. I can let you all know how that goes later in this thread.

I really like the idea of having a light tire that is able to handle Arizona trails..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've used and worn out 4-5 of the 2.4 Maxxis Ardent's that Jenson's sells (26", 2.4, 60A, EXO) as a rear tire mounted on a Stan's Flow rim. I weigh 235 lbs with gear. I pair them with a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 on the front. Pressure: 27F/30R. I've had zero sidewall problems, and they wear well. I mount them tubeless with a floor pump, and I had a real tough time getting one of the Ardents to inflate, but other than that I think it's a great tire. Unfortunately, the price of the Ardent's has gone up. On the other hand, I was able to buy 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF's on sale at the end of 2012 for ~$45, so now I'm running 2.5 Minion DHF's front and rear. Good luck.

> I am currently running a 36mm fork

36mm x 160 Talas for me.

> My biggest complaint is that the front end went from feeling "lofty" and playful to heavy and hard to elevate and bunny hop.<

I've never detected any difference with the different tires I've tried on the front.
    Last edited by happyriding; 03-09-2014 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Does anyone know how the ardent 2.25 sizes up to a crossmark 2.25

Ive had my eye on the ardent as I'm due a new front tyre to replace a high roller 2.35, which is nowhere near as tall as the crossmark 2.25.
    I run the Ardent 2.25 front and Crossmark 2.0 in rear on my FS and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

The Ardent is has more volume and raised knobs making it taller and wider than the Crossmark. I like the Crossmark as a rear tire because of the low rolling resistance and relatively low weight (580g). Traction is good so long as you are running low air pressure.
    Last edited by quelocotony; 03-09-2014 at 11:59 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    OP: You won't have problems with the Ardent Exo set up tubeless. I personally would only run it as a front tire. Might I ask why you moved from 819s to Outlaws? Seems like a step backward to me and could be part of the problem.

mtbr member
    I don't want to start a new thread, but my Purgatory in the front is finally dead, after well over a year of riding it. Thinking about a High Roller 2 for the new front. That a good Sedona/Flag/PHX tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    They're great tires if you're afraid to load up the front end. Also, how in the name of Adonai's balls do you people get tires to last a full year?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Might I ask why you moved from 819s to Outlaws? Seems like a step backward to me and could be part of the problem.
    This. If you're being a weight weenie, get rid of the boat anchor wheels. They might be one of the strongest wheels, but they're one of the heaviest too.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    They're great tires if you're afraid to load up the front end. Also, how in the name of Adonai's balls do you people get tires to last a full year?
    School, parenting, working, and skiing help make tires last a year.

Got a suspension fork
    I've heard somebody say the Ardent is a slow roller, is that what you guys would say?

mtbr member
    I've just heard that the Ardent only works when you really lay into it.

Got a suspension fork
    I was pretty down on my new combo of Continental Mountain King II Protection 2.4 up front and Maxxis 3C EXO 2.0 in the rear, but after getting the PSI's dialed in, I have to say that I'm liking them a lot more. Can't say that either is the grippiest tire I've ever run, but both feel really, really durable and tough, they're fairly light weight, and so far the Ikon in the rear is proving to be very long lasting, 820 miles on the Ikon and I can see it lasting well over 1,000 on the rear at this rate.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't currently have 820 miles on the Ikon, but rather 700... Still, it's wearing very well for a tire that grips well and had smallish knobbiest to begin with.
    Last edited by randyharris; 03-10-2014 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    I've heard somebody say the Ardent is a slow roller, is that what you guys would say?
    For a large volume tire with aggressive tread, I feel the Ardent rolls more efficiently than other tires I've tried. For me, it is a great front tire. I prefer a less aggressive tread for a rear tire with low rolling resistance such as the Ikon and Crossmark.

I find the the rolling resistance and weight in a rear tire to be a much bigger factor affecting speed. So I choose aggressive up front for greater cornering, control and confidence in the loose stuff and lighter, faster rolling tires in rear for speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I've just heard that the Ardent only works when you really lay into it.
    There really isn't any intermediate knobs on the Ardent. If you don't fully commit, it gets scary...which is why my favorite tires are the Minion or High Roller II. Neither of these tires are incredibly light, and I can't say they're fast, but they are very consistent feeling through the corners.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    There really isn't any intermediate knobs on the Ardent. If you don't fully commit, it gets scary...which is why my favorite tires are the Minion or High Roller II. Neither of these tires are incredibly light, and I can't say they're fast, but they are very consistent feeling through the corners.
    I'm with woahey. As a rear tire the Ardent is a bit drifty and you have to lean it hard or stuff it into a corner before it bites again. I haven't tried it on the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    School, parenting, working, and skiing help make tires last a year.
    You forgot fires.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    The Exo is a great system. I ran an 2.4 Exo Advantage Tubeless for a year and loved it. It was a bit heavy (900 grams) but could be run at silly low pressures (on 819 rims) - like 15 lbs, with great traction and no flats. The Exo sidewall in my mind is fantastic and can be run tubeless without issue.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Chilling out

Re: Maxxis Ardent Exo run tubeless... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    How does the threaded view look?
    I haven't ridden the tweener size, but always felt it was in the middle rolling wise on 26 and 29. Great front tire on 29, fwiw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vitamin Bike Added
    Rep to everyone. I'm glad and I suppose not surprised my AZ cohort is so well versed in the application of the ardents. Blatant, regarding the step back, to be honest I kept vesting the 819s out if true and they were not in great shape when I got them which may have been part if the issue. I also searched extensively for and didn't find many weight complaints on the outlaws, though I'm sure that's because the weight is less of an issue on the target rig of freeride or DH bike vs. my trail bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    I also searched extensively for and didn't find many weight complaints on the outlaws, though I'm sure that's because the weight is less of an issue on the target rig of freeride or DH bike vs. my trail bike
    The wheelset is 2450g (5.4 lbs) for a 26" set with 135mm rear axle. I had them on my old bike for a while- never had to true them!
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I will add to the good rep for the Ardent 2.4 exo as a front tire. It is the best tire I have found so far as a front, as I ride only rigid. It hooks up well in corners and softens the blows way better than the 2.3 Ground Controls I had run before.
    It is a bit heavy, but the rolling resistance isn't awful, compared to the Nevegal which really is super outdated and not a tire for trail riding.

I will also comment and say ditch the Azonic Outlaws, they aren't really an XC or AM wheel for the trails we have here in AZ, unless you are like 250lbs(in which case you need to focus on other things for weight savings...). Stick with a Stan's arch or flow and you will be fine. Have it built by someone knowledgeable and you won't see many issues.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a High Roller II from Art's Cyclery. Nobody else really had them in 29er. Weird. With a 15% off promo code, it's about $53 delivered. Not bad. I'll report back with how I like it.

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of Maxxis EXO tires and only thing I run on both of my bikes now. The EXO chasing has held up really well for me and I have only sliced one side wall in many sets, and this was not a complete slice.

The combo of Maxxis EXO tires I have tried are DHF/DHR2, DHF/DHF,Ardent/Ardent, HR2/HR2 and HR2/Ardent. I like the HR2/HR2 combo the best for all around riding, it rolls well with good a amount of grip in the loose stuff. The Ardent/Ardent combo rolls the best but loose grip in the loose stuff. DHF/DHR2 grips the best but rolls the slowest.

For tubeless setup I run Gorilla tape tubeless with Caffelatex valve stems. I use Stans putting them on and then add some slime a little later.

Tech Tuesday: Gorilla Tape Tubeless Conversion - Pinkbike

(If you go the Gorilla tape route, heat up a phillips head screwdriver and use it to burn a clean hole through the Gorilla tape for the stems.)

Split tubes are a nightmare/pain in the azz and does not buy you anything. Stans kit is expensive and does not work any better than Gorilla tape.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    The wheelset is 2450g (5.4 lbs) for a 26" set with 135mm rear axle. I had them on my old bike for a while- never had to true them!
    Mine didn't last long. I got a set back in 2008 when white parts were SIK and 2.5 nevagals were fast. They lasted 2-3 months. I have a bad habit of breaking stuff though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Ardent Exo run tubeless... thoughts?-p4pb1824903.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Mine didn't last long. I got a set back in 2008 when white parts were SIK and 2.5 nevagals were fast. They lasted 2-3 months. I have a bad habit of breaking stuff though.
    It would be uber impressive if you broke the frame! Stinky? Coiler? Those year Kona's were pretty damn bomb proof. I put some serious effort into breaking mine, held up like a champ.

Thanks for all the useful info on the tires. I'll be needing some soon.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    It would be uber impressive if you broke the frame! Stinky? Coiler? Those year Kona's were pretty damn bomb proof. I put some serious effort into breaking mine, held up like a champ.

And I do have to say that you are quite talented at breaking bikes.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post

coiler, that was a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Yeah...well...I just don't get as rad as you do shredding red pow.
    - Julie Furtado

Vitamin Bike Added
    I need to find a nice little 6.5 eye to eye rear and I will get my 04 kona dawg back on the trail too