Mavic wheel builder?- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Mavic wheel builder?

My 819 is literally falling apart. After tonights jaunt down National I found one of my eyelets had come completely out. I'm replacing a spoke about every month. Some eyelets are stripped so no further truing can be done. Dude who built my wheels was a hack, I guess.

I know it's been asked about local builders before but specifically, who should I go to for a Mavic UST build?

Dave Thomas is a no brainer but I hear he's expensive and it may take some time.

Fish at Cactus? Peter at Rage? Others I should seek?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Craig at south mountain cycles.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

Shovel Ready
    Peter at Rage would be a good choice. Fair price, been building wheels for years and he will stand behind his work.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Always feel like a broken record. I'm sure Peter builds great wheels; I'd totally trust him. That said, no personal experience. I have had two sets of wheels built by Dave Thomas. Both were exceptional. His prices were fair IMO and my experience was that if you talked to him on the phone and were local he could get your stuff done relatively quickly. Helluva nice guy, to boot.

sixsixtysix
    Fish is good with the Mavic 819/823 builds.

I can offer these tips for you though for your next Mavic UST build from my personal expierience.

•You must use 16mm length nipples with those rims. Any shorter and you'll get build issues.

•Even though they are heavier, use brass nipples with these rims. The additional friction from the eyelet interface will lead to rounded off and broken nipples as time goes and you have need the wheel trued.

•The rim eyelets need to be have locktite on them no matter what to keep them from backing out.

If someone doesn't know those 3 things when you ask them to build a Mavic UST wheel, then find a different builder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Fish is good with the Mavic 819/823 builds.

I can offer these tips for you though for your next Mavic UST build from my personal expierience.

•You must use 16mm length nipples with those rims. Any shorter and you'll get build issues.

•Even though they are heavier, use brass nipples with these rims. The additional friction from the eyelet interface will lead to rounded off and broken nipples as time goes and you have need the wheel trued.

•The rim eyelets need to be have locktite on them no matter what to keep them from backing out.

If someone doesn't know those 3 things when you ask them to build a Mavic UST wheel, then find a different builder.
    +1
    i've two sets of wheels built w/819's by fish - not one issue and still rolling strong after 2 years.

Old-newbie
    I have built a few of these (for myself, I am not a pro). I have also seen some misbuilds. It is very important for the eyelets to be fully seated. They are NOT to be used to adjust spokes. I know it seems obvious, but I have seen it done. I highly recommend purchasing the Park insert wrench and checking them periodically (they are LH threads).

I do not know of any reason that 16mm nipples would be needed. Maybe I am missing something. In general these types of wheels have been much easier to lace up than conventional rims.

Brass nipples are a great suggestion, on any wheel build. Higher strength, self lubricating, and the super fine threads do not tend to bond to the spokes.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

EDR
    I do not know of any reason that 16mm nipples would be needed.
    One reason I think 16mm nipples are recommended is so they can't fall into the rim should a spoke break right at the nipple. That would be a rattle that would never go away.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG
    I do not know of any reason that 16mm nipples would be needed. Maybe I am missing something. In general these types of wheels have been much easier to lace up than conventional rims.

gerG
    Because 12mm are too short and don't allow for the full square head of the nipple to fit through the eyelet which when tensioning the spokes cause all the spoke wrench force to be placed on the end of the nipple, which usually will lead to breaking or rounding off the nipple.

Mavic even recommends 16mm nipples for both the 823 and 819.

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/ex....995010.2.aspx
    http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/xm-819.323321.2.aspx

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Because 12mm are too short and don't allow for the full square head of the nipple to fit through the eyelet which when tensioning the spokes cause all the spoke wrench force to be placed on the end of the nipple, which usually will lead to breaking or rounding off the nipple.

Mavic even recommends 16mm nipples for both the 823 and 819.

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/ex....995010.2.aspx
    http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/xm-819.323321.2.aspx
    That makes sense, but so far mine have all cleared just fine. I can see some variability, so I may run into trouble on a different set of inserts.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    I have been building wheels for a little while now and as sixsixtysix says Mavic recommends 16mm nipples. Also you need to use loctite on the eyelets, not spoke prep but loctite (blue). I have built about 30 sets of 819 wheels (and one set of 823) and all of them have been alloy nipples but I see sixsixtysix's point of using brass for less friction. I believe that if spoke prep is used on the threads then just put a drop of oil where the nipple contacts the eyelet and you should be fine.

I built a set 2 weeks ago with red Chris King hubs and white DT swiss double butted spokes with red alloy nipples. I put them on a Pivot Mach 4, black with red pivots and bolts. Wow did they look awesome.

By the way eatdrinkride I have dropped a 16mm nipple into an 819, so they do fit...LOL. It took me like 20 minutes to get it out, I will never let that happen again.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps out

Members who have read this thread: 0