Maverick Trail @ Mingus Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Maverick Trail @ Mingus Mountain

I've know about this route that follows some long forgotten trails and jeep roads from the top of Mingus Mountain all the way down to Cottonwood for a few years now, but have not had the opportunity to ride it yet. Info about it on the web is very sparse, and there is nothing on either TrailForks or MTB Project that would suggest there being any viable trail connections to make it work..

Who's got the dirt on this ride?

Mind sharing a .gpx track?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I would guess the reason why there isnít much beta on that route is due to the overgrown nature of the trail. It also probably has a number of steep fallline sections that add to the challenge factor.

I once cleared about a mile of a popular Mingus mile trail that was totally over grown. It was one of the worst days of my life.
    That's it? No long winded tale of how the 3.5% ers cannot ride since the world class route has not been added to the Trailforks s database? Weak sauce sir, I expected better.
    Trail starts from the hang glider port on Mingus. Havent been on it in a decade. Rough and fast, drops 4500'.

mtbr member
    Trailforks shows 105-106 dropping off Mingus at the hang glider launch site. I think the OP may be talking about another route. Lots of old roads/trails on the east side of Mingus.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    That's it? No long winded tale of how the 3.5% ers cannot ride since the world class route has not been added to the Trailforks s database? Weak sauce sir, I expected better.
    Trail starts from the hang glider port on Mingus. Havent been on it in a decade. Rough and fast, drops 4500'.
    Is that physically possible? Mingus doesn't have that much vert.

mtbr member
    Mingus summit to Cottonwood is 4500 feet, but the hang glider site is lower, maybe 7k.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Some of my best HG flights ever were from the Mingus Mountain launch. Unfortunately I suck at MTB compared to HG and I doubt I'd ever ride that trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Mingus summit to Cottonwood is 4500 feet, but the hang glider site is lower, maybe 7k.
    Well I guess if you end the ride in downtown Cottonwood. For as many mountains as AZ has it's hard to find long, sustained downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Well I guess if you end the ride in downtown Cottonwood. For as many mountains as AZ has it's hard to find long, sustained downhill.
    Yeah, that's a big drop.

I'm just talking about the difference in elevation. No idea about the vertical drop of a ride someplace off Mingus to a "trailhead" somewhere in Cottonwood. Not even certain what route we're talking about.

This could be a good trail project to add to someone's wish list. A trail with a drop of 4000+ feet could become a destination ride, especially with so much other good riding nearby in Pct, Sed, and Flag.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's a big drop.

I'm just talking about the difference in elevation. No idea about the vertical drop of a ride someplace off Mingus to a "trailhead" somewhere in Cottonwood. Not even certain what route we're talking about.

This could be a good trail project to add to someone's wish list. A trail with a drop of 4000+ feet could become a destination ride, especially with so much other good riding nearby in Pct, Sed, and Flag.
    The ground work and concept planning is already in place. Somebody just needs to run with it. Also there is cross-jurisdiction with the Prescott and Coconino National Forests. http://lakemontezuma.us/pdfs/VVTrailPlanFinalDraft.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The ground work and concept planning is already in place. Somebody just needs to run with it. Also there is cross-jurisdiction with the Prescott and Coconino National Forests. http://lakemontezuma.us/pdfs/VVTrailPlanFinalDraft.pdf
    Good to know and not surprising the concept of such a trail has been identified. Switch is right though, the terrain and vegetation would be challenging to say the least. Not that I'm well-informed on such things, but I suspect his cost estimate is low.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Good to know and not surprising the concept of such a trail has been identified. Switch is right though, the terrain and vegetation would be challenging to say the least. Not that I'm well-informed on such things, but I suspect his cost estimate is low.
    COPMOPA is building the 32 mile 6000' descent Palisade Plunge for $500,000+. Say, a properly routed, sustainable descent off Mingus is 10 miles then at the going rate of roughly $5/foot then $264,000.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not sure what shape Maverick is in these days. It was a fall line mess of a trail when it was first burned in. It was fun for a few years but I imagine the Monsoons have had their way with it by now. Killer area if I remember correctly though, tons of potential if you could get a serious trail builder in there and route something more across the fall lines.

Just another half mile...
    This peaked my curiosity and so I downloaded the latest USGS quads to see if there were any trails coming off the top of Mingus. I downloaded KMZs of the Hickey Mountain and Cottonwood quad maps and they do show a trail dropping the top of Mingus Mtn down to Cottonwood by hooking up the Gaddes 2 trail with the Black Canyon trail. Gaddes 2 basically starts almost at the top of Mingus Mtn at 7700' and drops down joining Black Canyon tr ending 3400' at Ogden Ranch Rd TH, a 4300' elevation difference in less than 10 miles. I have no idea on what the condition of the trail is and how overgrown it is. Just need someone to scout it out and report back.

Snip of KMZ in Google earth showing the profile.
    Maverick Trail @ Mingus Mountain-mingus-gaddes-black-canyon-tr.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've done two different descents off of Mingus to Cottonwood, well, at least they both started differently.

One is North Mingus Trail 105, starts near the hang glider launch, goes north, hooks up with other trails. It's pretty gnarly near the top with some tight switchbacks on rough ground with significant fall consequences.

The other is 106, which hooks up with the North Mingus Trail route a little further down. Both of these are pretty rough and steep at first, enough that a friend got a mild concussion when he went down on 106, but after that initial descent, it's pretty much just fireroads. There is a bit of cool trail before these dump out at the fireroads, but not enough after the pucker sections to really make it worthwhile. There was a fall-line burned-in route between a few of the fire-roads that some DHers used, but nothing of this would remain now. You can haul on the fireroads, which is kind of fun, but in general, this is a lot of logistical effort for little reward. The other side of Mingus makes more sense to shuttle and ride. It's true the cottonwood side has more potential, it's just that there's nothing there. It would be sick to hook it up to Lime Kiln and Sedona or something.

There were also some "other" DH trails that were put in on the Cottonwood side of Mingus, not down to the bottom, but connecting two spots of the road. I'd imagine these are long gone.

Expect minimal maintenance on these (Cottonwood side) routes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm a bit too old to be riding up there. I tried it at the suggestion of a PV bike shop 15 years ago, and even then it was more HAB than pedal.
    Of course, I MIGHT have not listened as close as I coulda.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydndrt View Post
    Has anyone spoken with Yuri from Prescott? Last year there was a lengthy discussion at his house about his group and IMBA putting together the makings of a project.

Also, you can talk with Mike (AKA Helimech), neither of which post here because they are hopefully too busy riding.
    A project on Mingus? I am riding in Sedona on Saturday with one of Yuri's buddies from Prescott. Only project I have heard about is DH trails on Glassford Hill but I am not sure how far that is or if it will actually happen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've done two different descents off of Mingus to Cottonwood, well, at least they both started differently.

One is North Mingus Trail 105, starts near the hang glider launch, goes north, hooks up with other trails. It's pretty gnarly near the top with some tight switchbacks on rough ground with significant fall consequences.

The other is 106, which hooks up with the North Mingus Trail route a little further down. Both of these are pretty rough and steep at first, enough that a friend got a mild concussion when he went down on 106, but after that initial descent, it's pretty much just fireroads. There is a bit of cool trail before these dump out at the fireroads, but not enough after the pucker sections to really make it worthwhile. There was a fall-line burned-in route between a few of the fire-roads that some DHers used, but nothing of this would remain now. You can haul on the fireroads, which is kind of fun, but in general, this is a lot of logistical effort for little reward. The other side of Mingus makes more sense to shuttle and ride. It's true the cottonwood side has more potential, it's just that there's nothing there. It would be sick to hook it up to Lime Kiln and Sedona or something.

There were also some "other" DH trails that were put in on the Cottonwood side of Mingus, not down to the bottom, but connecting two spots of the road. I'd imagine these are long gone.

Expect minimal maintenance on these (Cottonwood side) routes.

There used to be tow DH trails on the Jerome side indeed. One was called Madness and it was fun as hell. It was steep and gnarly, I think it went across private land and I'm sure erosion had it's way with it too.

I'd love to see a long, sinuous and flowing trail off that side from the top that drops into Jerome and then continues down to the valley floor below. It would be sweet to stop in Jerome for lunch and a beverage while doing shuttles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I'd love to see a long, sinuous and flowing trail off that side from the top that drops into Jerome and then continues down to the valley floor below. It would be sweet to stop in Jerome for lunch and a beverage while doing shuttles.
    That would be awesome! Shred>Haunted Hamburger>shred more

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    That would be awesome! Shred>Haunted Hamburger>shred more
    Boom!

It's probably a challenging line to figure out. You've got some seriously rugged terrain, a wilderness boundary and privately held mining claims to contend with but man would that be fun!

mtbr member
    Boom!

It's probably a challenging line to figure out. You've got some seriously rugged terrain, a wilderness boundary and privately held mining claims to contend with but man would that be fun!
    Rugged terrain sounds good. Wilderness boundary could potentially throw a wrench in the gears but Federal Mining Claims are just leases. I don't think they can legally keep people off of them as long as people aren't mining. Guess it doesn't matter seeing as we don't have $300K to build it anyway huh?

mtbr member
    A project on Mingus? I am riding in Sedona on Saturday with one of Yuri's buddies from Prescott. Only project I have heard about is DH trails on Glassford Hill but I am not sure how far that is or if it will actually happen.
    Two years ago I walked a proposed route off Glassford Hill heading into the Dells. Very rocky up top so could be intermediate tech, but more XC than DH. Incredible views of the Dells as you drop down. The existing route up GH is steep, but basically a road. The downhill isn't all that fun and usually packed with hikers.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Two years ago I walked a proposed route off Glassford Hill heading into the Dells. Very rocky up top so could be intermediate tech, but more XC than DH. Incredible views of the Dells as you drop down. The existing route up GH is steep, but basically a road. The downhill isn't all that fun and usually packed with hikers.
    I was told the parks and rec manager was on board with trying to make some DH oriented trails on GH but I don't have any specifics on what the ideas were.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydndrt View Post
    I'm not sure, it could be. Mingus definitely came up in the conversation. FWIW, Helimech took us down a trail that started at the helipad and descended to the 7/11 I think. That was years ago.
    I will have to ask on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Great discussion, and almost no mention of Sedrama so far!

Here are the first 5 miles of this ride from the glider launch pad down to FR493 which drops almost 4000 ft. I am assuming that the rest of the ride follows FR493, which turns into Mingus Ave once it enters Cottonwood.

Maverick Trail @ Mingus Mountain-mingus.png

www.strava.com/segments/1255634

I'm looking forward to checking out this ride soon

mtbr member
    pretty sure that trail is part of the AES coco bikepack thingy... the riders go up that ... not down...

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    pretty sure that trail is part of the AES coco bikepack thingy... the riders go up that ... not down...
    Looks like it shares about 50% of the coco route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Looks like it shares about 50% of the coco route.
    Maverick Trail @ Mingus Mountain-mingus-elevation.png

That looks like a brutal climb, especially at mile 90

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, it kinda hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    yeah, it kinda hurts.
    You get the prize for understatement of the year.
    The climb up Mingus is way up there on the list of worst HAB climbs. Coming at the end of day 2 of the Coco just makes it that much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    You get the prize for understatement of the year.
    The climb up Mingus is way up there on the list of worst HAB climbs. Coming at the end of day 2 of the Coco just makes it that much better.
    Whenever raybum says "it kinda hurts", it's total death for most of us.

dirt visionary
    There used to be tow DH trails on the Jerome side indeed. One was called Madness and it was fun as hell. It was steep and gnarly, I think it went across private land and I'm sure erosion had it's way with it too.
    now theres a trail name I haven't heard in ages lol. It was indeed steep and fun while it lasted. Squeezing into the drop off across the road was pretty gnarly to get in and out of. Def don't miss the hike up the hillside at the end.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    We rode it last year. Overgrown for sure. Starts from HG launch and ends at Maverick gas station...the reason it's called Maverick. We will be riding it again the first weekend in May.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    We rode it last year. Overgrown for sure. Starts from HG launch and ends at Maverick gas station...the reason it's called Maverick. We will be riding it again the first weekend in May.
    Maybe take your pruners and do a little trimming? LOL

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Maybe take your pruners and do a little trimming? LOL
    We actually will this time!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    We actually will this time!
    Good man!!!

The .05 percent
    One of the longest sustained hauling ass sections of trail in AZ I bet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    One of the longest sustained hauling ass sections of trail in AZ I bet...
    What are some of the others?