Maricopa Trail Update?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Maricopa Trail Update?

Does anyone know the latest about the Maricopa Trail? According to Wikipedia, the trail is going to be 242 miles long, and according to Maricopa.gov, they have completed 155 miles. But there are no updates as to which segements they are completing. I was hoping they would be able to connect Spur Cross with the McDowells - then you could ride from Lake Pleasant all the way over to Pemberton entirely on dirt.
    Last edited by BCTJ; 07-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    The only part I know of is section that runs next to Anthem. I often ride it from the Fry's to cave creek regional park. I know that it branches out to spur cross, but I have not ridden that part of the trail yet.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Well, according to the website, the trail is eventually going to circle all of Phoenix. The trail will also connect all of the Regional Parks. What would be really cool would be to do an ultra-endurance bike race, similar to the AZT 300, but on the Maricopa Trail. I'm sure it would generate alot more interest being adjacent to a large metropolitian area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There is a semi-marked trail to lake pleasant between anthem, but its pretty rough since it doesn't get ridden much and wasnt built to the same level as some of the other parts of the trail.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the maps released so far and here is the overview map (pdf) with the completed (marked) sections on it.

The part from Spur Cross to MMRP has not been completed yet. I've never ridden it but I believe most of it already exists. The part that comes south from Tonto National Forest to the park is on a recently purchased piece of the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve so that was a big part of the missing link.

I'm waiting for the part that goes from MMRP over Bell pass, down the CAP to Hawes, and over to Usery.
    Mmmmmmm..Pass Mountain.
    We're experts. We know when to get off our bikes.

mtbr member
    Another cool idea when they finish the trail, would be to do stage races from one park to another. From White tanks to Lake Pleasant one day, then from Lake Pleasant to Cave Creek etc. You could call it the Tour de Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I spoke with a coordinator of the project a few months back. He didn't have a date as to when they aim to have everything completed. Apparently there are a few spots along the intended routes that are being held up by private land ownership. Also lack of funding has dampened the project alot in the last few years. Some of the route is along paved paths. The trail will also connect to the Sun Circle system.

I think there should be a group ride on the entire thing once they get it finished. Anyone else?

Rhino
    Speaking of White Tank to Pleasant....anybody been out past West Wing lately? Last time I explored the trail faded at West Wing. I managed to meander north, hopping fences and wandering. Ended up by Jomax around the quarries and retreated back to the Tanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    Speaking of White Tank to Pleasant....anybody been out past West Wing lately? Last time I explored the trail faded at West Wing. I managed to meander north, hopping fences and wandering. Ended up by Jomax around the quarries and retreated back to the Tanks.
    The Lake Pleasant portion stops at a gate under the Carefree highway bridge over the Agua Fria River. Technically there are all kinds of Jeep roads just south of there that could link it up. No idea which route (high/low/east/west) they are taking....

mtbr member

A few pics from Maricopa trail. west side

2012-04-07_09-47-19_430, Maricopa trail / white tanks 2011-07-17_19-51-54_605, Sunset on the maricopa trail

Members who have read this thread: 0