mtbr member

Maricopa Trail Segment Sixteen

Has anyone rode the Maricopa trail from New River road to to the Cave Creek Regional park. How is the trail, any fun, and is it well marked?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahava rider
    Has anyone rode the Maricopa trail from New River road to to the Cave Creek Regional park. How is the trail, any fun, and is it well marked?
    It goes to dirt rd almost immediately East of NR but if you follow the road up to the pass on your right you'll pick up the trail with no problem. It's a pretty nice trail to Cave Creek and you can also take it to Spur Cross.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    I was up there about a month ago, and there was a separate single track from the dirt road, but it's a bit hard to pick up as you leave NRR, as there was no signage for the most part.I only went for a few hundred yards, as my fitness level just isn't there to ride much. It looks like it could be very fun to ride.

I had already ridden up from the skunk creek area that is the section west of new river rd.
    That section, all the way back to I-17, is pretty well marked, and is quite tame after you make the climb from new river rd. It's single track for maybe 3/4 of a mile ( right next to the dirt road ) and follows old quad trails after that. It's a great section for out-of-shape slobs like me trying to get back into it ( i had been riding it frequently until recently ), or would be great for newbies ( nothing very challenging ). Does have some wash crossings and sandy areas.

There is actually a small network of trails in the area between 7th ave, skunk creek, desert hills, and Honda bow road. Nothing to exciting, not worth driving for, but a nice place for a quick ride to keep in shape if you live near the area.

Members who have read this thread: 0