mtbr member

Maricopa Trail East of New River Road

I road from Anthem to New River Road this morning and decided to explore what the trail was like in the hills across the road. I followed the trail sign to a single track and found the route got technical/difficult quickly. I road for what seemed like a mile or so where the trail dropped down and intersected at a "T". I went left where I saw the trail made it's way back to a road that went back to New River Road and I headed home. I am curious if this single track that I perceive to be technical/difficult is representative of what the trail is like if you ride to the Cave Creek recreation area. I am new to this sport and found this section tough, I am curious from others if it really is a difficult section, or if I am just not used to this type of trail riding. I appreciate any feedback or comments. I would like to ride all the way to Cave Creek park, but am not sure if I will make it if the trail is anything like the first portion. Thanks, Chris

mtbr member
    I have ridden from Anthem to Cave Creek on the Maricopa trail. Nothing technical really, but not easy either. Lots of rocks.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The switchbacks on the section you are talking about are pretty difficult. Definitely one of the harder sections. I love that section that your rode. The Maricopa in that area was cleaned up a lot before the Prickly pedal. Cave Creek park is not to difficult, but like Joe said it is rocky. Have fun out there.

mtbr member
    that section is a lot more difficult than what is in Cave Creek Park .. however, the eastern/southern section of the Go John trail is more difficult.. not many folks ride this section but it is super techy and difficult...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    that section is a lot more difficult than what is in Cave Creek Park .. however, the eastern/southern section of the Go John trail is more difficult.. not many folks ride this section but it is super techy and difficult...
    I have nice loop that I created out of the spear S trail head at New River Road. Starts at that parking area heading east over the ST to cave creek park up Go John (south) then down overton and back up Go John all the way around the back side then back up Go-John and down overton again then over the middle climb and back all the way to spear S. Fun 20 miles with a mixture of tight stuff (new Maricopa ST) Rocky (old Maricopa), smooth climbs and fast flowing desents in Cave Creek park and then tech challenge of back side of Go-John. Comes in about 2500 feet of climbing and takes me 3 hrs.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have nice loop that I created out of the spear S trail head at New River Road. Starts at that parking area heading east over the ST to cave creek park up Go John (south) then down overton and back up Go John all the way around the back side then back up Go-John and down overton again then over the middle climb and back all the way to spear S. Fun 20 miles with a mixture of tight stuff (new Maricopa ST) Rocky (old Maricopa), smooth climbs and fast flowing desents in Cave Creek park and then tech challenge of back side of Go-John. Comes in about 2500 feet of climbing and takes me 3 hrs.
    hey Joe, post up that GPX (or a link to strava) for that ride when you get a chance.... thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    hey Joe, post up that GPX (or a link to strava) for that ride when you get a chance.... thx.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/344539740

Wow looks like I have not ridden this since July of last year..
    Joe

mtbr member
    Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the feedback.

I started out using MapMyRide, however it looks like most people use Strava. Do you guys know if I can import my MapmyRide data into STrava so I have a complete history in one tracking tool?

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccmayes72 View Post
    Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the feedback.

I started out using MapMyRide, however it looks like most people use Strava. Do you guys know if I can import my MapmyRide data into STrava so I have a complete history in one tracking tool?
    No effing idea...call your local IT department in India...they can help you I'm sure....
    yeah, get on Strava...even if you don't gun for segment times, you can extract ride ideas from it...oh, and get used to downloading a GPX file and then following it via your GPS... after you learn those skills, there are no boundaries!

mtbr member
    I was able to get the data moved over to Strava using the GPX file. Thanks for the tip.

Click Click Click
    Do you guys know if I can import my MapmyRide data into STrava so I have a complete history in one tracking tool?
    Yes - https://tapiriik.com/

Actually, I know it used to work with mapmyride, I just checked and it looks like it may not be supported now. Anyway, this is what I used to sync my endomondo rides over to strava.

And, yeah, Strava is where it is at.
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I road from Anthem to New River Road this morning and decided to explore what the trail was like in the hills across the road. I followed the trail sign to a single track and found the route got technical/difficult quickly. I road for what seemed like a mile or so where the trail dropped down and intersected at a "T". I went left where I saw the trail made it's way back to a road that went back to New River Road and I headed home. I am curious if this single track that I perceive to be technical/difficult is representative of what the trail is like if you ride to the Cave Creek recreation area. I am new to this sport and found this section tough, I am curious from others if it really is a difficult section, or if I am just not used to this type of trail riding. I appreciate any feedback or comments. I would like to ride all the way to Cave Creek park, but am not sure if I will make it if the trail is anything like the first portion. Thanks, Chris
    It's not super technical, it might seem challenging to someone new to the sport. That initial part is hilly and you need to be able to climb some short spurts. Also, that section initially has some tight turns, and one steep eroded hill (it was pretty much that way new) that is practically impossible. It's easier, faster, and flows better coming back (to the west).

Once you reach the saddle at Apache Peak: there's some downhill, rockiness, sandiness....

It's a lot more fun than the flat stuff near Anthem.