March Phoenix trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

March Phoenix trip

Howdy . Heading to the Phoenix area to the montelucia resort for a conference in mid march...definitely gonna bring at least one bike...my options are ventana el capitan 130mm 29er, cannondale moto 160mm, kona coilair 180 mm, and a full steel custom dh sled with 200mm. Which two would people recommmend? I wanna do lotsa all mtn riding with some good dedicated dh stuff as well....

Also, looks like trail 100 is close to where I'll be staying in paradise valley...I'm definitely gonna hit up south mtn for national, geronimo, and holbert, but are there any trails like these closer to where I will stay?

Any other advice like trails not to miss not mentioned above would be great. Tis my first time to Phoenix (coming from SoCal)

Thanks,
    Sam

mtbr member

March Phoenix trip

Do you like to jump the big bikes? There are a couple good spots for that. I'm torn between whether I'd bring the 29er or the 6-incher. You know the trade off between those bikes; there's plenty of terrain here to have fun on either!

EDR
    You could ride the 160mm bike on any of the trails mentioned and have fun. Perfect for National (at SoMo), plenty of climbing on that trail so a heavy bike would be a problem. Holbert, Geronimo are d/h trails but quite rocky/ledgy and not smooth blazing fast trails with jumps per say. You could easily ride the 160mm bike on those trails but the heavier bikes would be great if you are shuttling those trails.

My advice for AM riding: One bike? Then bring the 160 bike assuming it's around 30lbs or so. Two bikes? Bring that and one of the heavy bikes if you know you will shuttle. FWIW there are regular scheduled shuttle rides at SoMo. No shuttles? Bring the 160 and the 29'r for the trails around PV and whatnot. You could easily ride that at Natty as well if you wanted to.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    You could ride the 160mm bike on any of the trails mentioned and have fun. Perfect for National (at SoMo), plenty of climbing on that trail so a heavy bike would be a problem. Holbert, Geronimo are d/h trails but quite rocky/ledgy and not smooth blazing fast trails with jumps per say. You could easily ride the 160mm bike on those trails but the heavier bikes would be great if you are shuttling those trails.

My advice for AM riding: One bike? Then bring the 160 bike assuming it's around 30lbs or so. Two bikes? Bring that and one of the heavy bikes if you know you will shuttle. FWIW there are regular scheduled shuttle rides at SoMo. No shuttles? Bring the 160 and the 29'r for the trails around PV and whatnot. You could easily ride that at Natty as well if you wanted to.
    Exactly what EDR said. This is AZ so everything is rocky, sandy and hurts - like Moab-ish as a point of reference. Our gnar is not north shore and our XC is not buff.

search this forum for Shuttles, or google Gnar Gnar tours if you want big bike stuff. PMP near your resort has some of everything, but you have to pedal to all of it. I prefer my 29er for overall on that system, but there is plenty of fun for your 6inch travel there.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    There is a lot to ride in the T100 area if you have the info. Look up Hairball in the T100 area. Goat Camp ( in the White Tanks) is always an experience.

A lot of great cross country out here too like Black Canyon Trail or Picket Post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BinaryBike View Post
    Do you like to jump the big bikes? There are a couple good spots for that. I'm torn between whether I'd bring the 29er or the 6-incher. You know the trade off between those bikes; there's plenty of terrain here to have fun on either!
    I am relatively new to gravity stuff and am slowly progressing on jumping stuff. I like tabletops and small gaps and especially berms

Love rocky tech too, and get perverse pleasure from climbing

Members who have read this thread: 0