Marathon SS Category at Dust Devil Series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Marathon SS Category at Dust Devil Series

Marathon SS category has been added to the Dust Devil series races. First race Oct 10th at McDowell = 41 miles.

Count me in ... Who else?

Here is a link to DCB ...

http://www.dcbadventures.com/DCB/Events.html

I am Walt
    Schwing!!! I may do eet...since this is the only one I'd do (won't drive out to Yuma or wherever for the other ones...)
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSAZ69
    Marathon SS category has been added to the Dust Devil series races. First race Oct 10th at McDowell = 41 miles.

Count me in ... Who else?

Here is a link to DCB ...

http://www.dcbadventures.com/DCB/Events.html
    Blah!!! Sounds like a blast, and if I didn't despise series racing so much, I would even consider it.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

my 1st race

If I could master those drops on the tech loop I'd be in for the marathon race. I can't so I'm wussin' out and doing Cat 2 womens race - geared. Also, it'll be my first mtn race so it's probably best not to start out with the longest distance!

Tiff

That could be quite fun.

However, the course descriptions sounds like a recipe for confusion (T/L to S/T/L to T/L to S/T/L to S/T). Has anyone done this kind of thing out there? Do they make it clear where you are supposed to go each lap or do you have to keep track of it?

At any rate, this is the same day as Tour de Fat. A hard decision will need to be made.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Sweeet... I may be in for the SS marathon category... but dtown is right, what is up with the CRAZY loops that need to be done? It seems like that kind of stuff totally causes confusion at the races I have done the past few years, but it keeps happening. If I do it, I will totally have a sharpie and write the loops on my arm in big letters and cross them off when I come through...

I am Walt
    Just guessing, but I believe the letters mean the "outer loop combination" of whatever loops are being referenced. For example:
    - T/L = ~9 miles (x 2)
    - S/T/L = ~10 miles (x 2)
    - S/T = ~3 miles (x 1)

That gives you the 41 miles for the marathon...

I would say I'll just follow Tom or Jeff, but that would last about 10 yards for me...
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I will totally have a sharpie and write the loops on my arm in big letters and cross them off when I come through...
    Ha! Good plan.

No way in hell I can remember those combos. All the blood drains from my brain in a race and it ain't good for much at that point.

At any rate, planning on checking it out. Should be tons of fun.

--Jeff

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz

I would say I'll just follow Tom or Jeff, but that would last about 10 yards for me...
    We'll probably be blinded by the bling of that sparkly gold frame and crash into a cactus right off the start. You need to gold plate your components to match. I hear that makes them lighter.

--Jeff

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    We'll probably be blinded by the bling of that sparkly gold frame and crash into a cactus right off the start. You need to gold plate your components to match. I hear that makes them lighter.

--Jeff
    Picking it up TODAY!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Its no big deal ... The "composite" laps are color coded. You just follow the arrow color of your lap. You only pass through the start/finish area once per lap. It is a good idea to write on something. I generally write on small piece of paper then scotch tape it to my handlebars.

It would be ....

1 = Black
    2 = Blue
    3 = Black
    4 = Blue
    5 = Red

mtbr member
    Well.... I have done a ton of these races... and I never see the color coded signs and forget what color I am on.... for the McDowell races, I always just remember when I need to do the tech climb and base everything off that (weird huh??)

some of us will get lost, there will be some confusion ... but at least it will be a fun day on the bike with beer after!!!

(We should have a keg for this race... stop by )
    Last edited by tamen00; 09-02-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Why don't they just have the marathoners do 3 laps on Pemberton? That'd be easy to remember.

Happy trails
    i was planning on ridin' the rock crusher catagory on my SS for the DD series anyway.i may try the marathon version for this one.
    Aaron

Members who have read this thread: 0