Man Eating Javelina at South Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Man Eating Javelina at South Mountain

VIEWER WARNING:

Images may be unsuitable for you to view, viewer discretion is advised, so if you are a viewer, please be advised that this is really gross (and could happen to you!)....

This was not the result of a "crash". It was only the "oh so tame" Javelina trail reaching out and and giving a big warm welcome to a new mountain biker (my cousin)...who, while effectively stopped, mis-stepped slightly, got tripped up and summarily pushed over the ledge by his trusty steed...only to tumble down another 30 feet and slam his knee onto that one rock that looked like it was carved to appear as a set of cheap Chinese steak knives...He bled like a stuck pig (well not really, but it sounds dramatic). He was able to complete the ride, but had hell to pay today (as well as the next 10 or so days)...

Lots of stitches...I only have 10 fingers, I think it was more than that...

Next weeks to do list:

1: buy knee pads
    Check my pulse...

"No Clue Crew"
    Once the scars get built up, you'll no longer need pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice!!
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 01-09-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added correct link for image...gross.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    VIEWER WARNING:

Images may be unsuitable for you to view, viewer discretion is advised, so if you are a viewer, please be advised that this is really gross (and could happen to you!)....

This was not the result of a "crash". It was only the "oh so tame" Javelina trail reaching out and and giving a big warm welcome to a new mountain biker (my cousin)...who, while effectively stopped, mis-stepped slightly, got tripped up and summarily pushed over the ledge by his trusty steed...only to tumble down another 30 feet and slam his knee onto that one rock that looked like it was carved to appear as a set of cheap Chinese steak knives...He bled like a stuck pig (well not really, but it sounds dramatic). He was able to complete the ride, but had hell to pay today (as well as the next 10 or so days)...

Lots of stitches...I only have 10 fingers, I think it was more than that...

Next weeks to do list:

1: buy knee pads
    Yes, do mind the side of the hill there.

Javelina also took its pound of flesh from me once. It was on that steep part right before the top of saddle headed west (where you drop down into Mormon Loop). I was working pretty hard to stay upright and get past the steep chunk. As I crested the saddle, I somehow missed the last little step up and...well....just fell down clipped in (I was working so hard, my brain didn't register "unclip moron, you;re falling").

Yeah, not as exciting as tumbling 30ft, but I did have two people and a dog just standing there watching me.....felt pretty stupid.......

And yes, it was my first time on Javelina when it happened....

Let the bikes in!
    I read the title and pictured a guy hunched over a javelina, shoving bloody entrails into his mouth like spaghetti. FTL!

Javelina bit me once, too. It was at that low section of chunk with the steps and the little uphill right after it. I think my knee looked just like that pic, and my nose was half broken. I remember I could point out that rock weeks after by the dark, rusty colored splotches.

Add elbow pads to that shopping list as well.

mtbr member
    Bummer, I thought I would find pictures of some crazy homeless guy with his face buried in the gut of an actual javelina. Get well soon!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

AKA shitbird
    I was all excited to see a javelina meal, Survivorman style. Playing with my emotions like that

Oh well, I guess I can google it...
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I was all excited to see a javelina meal, Survivorman style. Playing with my emotions like that

Oh well, I guess I can google it...
    Me too. I'm so glad I didn't scroll down far enough to see the carnage. Thanks for the warning OP....
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No new blood
    I was thinking man-eating javelina where the hog would have its face buried in the gut of its victim.
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBob
    I was thinking man-eating javelina where the hog would have its face buried in the gut of its victim.
    That'e what I was hoping for!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man Eating Javelina at South Mountain-857962_2b4f_625x1000.jpg  

"No Clue Crew"
    I'm with ajmelin.............Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0