Man Cave=home bike shop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Man Cave=home bike shop

I have this down stairs room that isn't really being used. So I want to make it a room to store bikes, work on bikes kind of space. The garage is freezing cold and the lighting sucks. The room is 18'x11' and the ceiling is 8'. Some folks would call this the "den". One end has shelving, the other end has a fireplace, one side has windows and a door leading outside, the other side a bare wall. I have a workstand set up in the middle of the room. I also have a small table up against the wall that currently holds tools, lube, rags, etc.
    So how would you set up this space? What kind of tool storage would you use? I'm going to install some track lighting, and would like to store up to 4 bikes in the room. I'm tired of just leaning them up against the wall. Any cool storage systems that work well for bike and outdoor gear storage that you would recommend?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    I've had these links bookmarked for ideas:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=347908
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=355682
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373546

One thing I did for my shop was a workbench w/ a sheet metal top. Easy to clean, especially wax drippings from ski tuning.

Just another half mile...
    Rubbermaid make a pretty need wall rack system and it's sold at Home Depot. One 48" wall track bar can easily accomodate five bikes hangin off the wall and you can add another bar that you can put a varity of storage attachments. This is the system I use and it works great. A little better and more adjustable that screwing hooks into the ceiling to hang bikes.

Rubbermaid track system:
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...t=HPCat2916118

Vertical bike hook:
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100588

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    I have this down stairs room that isn't really being used. So I want to make it a room to store bikes, work on bikes kind of space. The garage is freezing cold and the lighting sucks. The room is 18'x11' and the ceiling is 8'. Some folks would call this the "den". One end has shelving, the other end has a fireplace, one side has windows and a door leading outside, the other side a bare wall. I have a workstand set up in the middle of the room. I also have a small table up against the wall that currently holds tools, lube, rags, etc.
    So how would you set up this space? What kind of tool storage would you use? I'm going to install some track lighting, and would like to store up to 4 bikes in the room. I'm tired of just leaning them up against the wall. Any cool storage systems that work well for bike and outdoor gear storage that you would recommend?

Pivotal figure
    Here's a shot of my setup (clutter and all). The bikes are hanging from a beam that I attached to the wall using concrete anchors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    I like the floor.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas. I like the photo K. I've been pondering how best to garage bikes; by the ceiling or by the wall mount method. All the windows on one side kinda of puts the ka-bash on utilizing that side of the room.
    I'm drawing up some rolling cart/ tool box/ wood top work caddie. Since this space is always changing, I'm trying to keep the whole space flexible at this point.

mtbr member

space photos

Here are the before photos. In the next couple of weeks it should be updated and near completion.
    But what really bites is ceilings at 8 feet. Can you say C-A-V-E? Just about impossible, so I'm thinking of welding up a double decker stand. Just like a real bike shop.

mtbr member
    May 2007

nice shop

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Here's a shot of my setup (clutter and all). The bikes are hanging from a beam that I attached to the wall using concrete anchors.
    very cool looking shop/garage...............looks like shite gets done in that man cave

Zipper
    looks like a do able situation
    First of all the cabinets have to go. I know sounds drastic but that's the wall for storing bikes. Not fond of vertical storing the bikes but it does save space so you can run a beam across that wall and lag bolt it into the studs then add hooks. You will easily fit 4-6 bikes that way alternating handlebars up/down.
    Second on the wall opposite the windows you will need to get your wood working skills in order and build a folding bench which with the right plans is not hard to do as long as your mechanically inclined. If you work on your bikes then you are. so here are a couple ideas for benches
    http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/wall_bench.html
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_too...927170,00.html
    http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/072/...n-workstation/
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17840
    or browse this site to pick one you like
    http://www.freeww.com/workbenches.ht...hor-Foldi-2451
    you can peg board all of those designs so you will have tool storage and some even give cabinet space.

Lastly over the fireplace you want to add a nice mantle. that will give you a place to display all the parts you break on the trail and double as a beer holder while your working on the bikes (beer gets knocked over when on workbench and that's alcohol abuse)
    Good Luck

Zipper Says: The preceding message does not reflect the views of this site or its affiliates.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    If it's truly going to be a Man-Cave, you should install a real workbench, a 50" flat screen, a beer fridge, couch, and urinal. You would never have to leave it except to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    If it's truly going to be a Man-Cave, you should install a real workbench, a 50" flat screen, a beer fridge, couch, and urinal. You would never have to leave it except to ride.
    Ha! I was thinking about a couch. And a hot tub just outside the windows cause its a covered patio. But before the hot tub, I purchased some lighting and a harbor freight tool cart and will install one of my tool boxes on it. Also will make a wood work top with shop light and mini vise. Out in the garage I have a big steel welding table with mondo vise for pounding the bejesus out of stuff. Gotta get some posters too!

"First of all the cabinets have to go. I know sounds drastic but that's the wall for storing bikes. Not fond of vertical storing the bikes but it does save space so you can run a beam across that wall and lag bolt it into the studs then add hooks. You will easily fit 4-6 bikes that way alternating handlebars up/down.
    Second on the wall opposite the windows you will need to get your wood working skills in order and build a folding bench which with the right plans is not hard to do as long as your mechanically inclined. If you work on your bikes then you are. so here are a couple ideas for benches"

I like the mantle idea. Kinda a wall of shame and found items out on rides. (and all the trophies I have this giant swivel... And yeah those cabinets are kind of useless. We have lived here for over a year and there is nothing inside them. They are a waste of space. Maybe take the cabinets off the wall and make them into one long workbench? Pegboard? I haven't been too organized in the past to make peg board work for me. There is probably 200 ft2 in the garage and I think I have one or two hammers hanging off hooks.

Keep those ideas coming! And thanks for the links for benches.

sprocket

neanderthal cave

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtcha
    Not fond of vertical storing the bikes
    What is bad about storing them vertically?

Stereo and a refrigerator. I have no need for this but want it anyway.

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigred67

Stereo and a refrigerator. I have no need for this but want it anyway.
    i have a need ... a want ... and just so happens, a place for that ... right next to my other Kobalt tool chest
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Pivotal figure
    Now if they could just make that upper section into a grill you'd never need to come out except for meat and beer

mtbr member

update 1-21

Taking the advise of rbtcha, I pulled the near useless cabinets off the wall to make room for the biking hanging storage. I thought I could salvage these cabinets for a floor work bench and storage but they are tall (42") and narrow (12"). Unless I can chop about 12" in height, I may end up making something else. But before doing anything else in the room, I have to paint. I'm going to a paint store and go through their dump stock. A gallon of paint is usually $5. Any color suggestions? Then I'll install a tire kick plate on the far wall, and install bike hooks. Plenty of room to hold 5 bikes.
    Notice that I have installed Ikea cable lights. $60 So much better than the single ceiling fixture as seen in the earlier picture.
    The big thing is the rolling tool cart. I went to Harbor Freight and bought this fine red cart for $30. I then welded a slider bracket to the underside of the top tray. This allows me to slide in or out my existing tool box that has drawers. I keep my Parks tools in there, like BB extractors and such. I had some old lumber and made a mini work bench/ tool caddie. The light is from Ikea and was $8. I'm already liking this arrangement better since I travel between this room and the garage where I work on other stuff that won't fit through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Now if they could just make that upper section into a grill you'd never need to come out except for meat and beer
    Just send the little woman!

Meatbomb
    Ikea.... land of the walking dead.

Pivotal figure
    I also got my paint from the "Oops" pile at Home Depot. I got some grays for cheap and picked up a can each of black and white. It took a while but now I have an urban camo paint job on one wall...

mtbr member

update 1-26

Its amazing what a little paint will do. I'm sure liking the rolling tool workcart. I also moved the packs and riding paraphernalia into one space. The wife is sure happy now that she can park in the garage without all those bikes in the way.
    The last stage will be fabricating a work bench with under counter storage. Oh, and the comfy chairs and mantle for over the fireplace.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Nicely done. I don't see a kegerator though.

more beers, lees gears.
    i see lots of room for sweet bike and/or beer posters too.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Kathleen in AZ
    Love it!! The steel grey paint was a classy choice to go with your floor tile. The plants add a nice homey touch but they may get in the way once you have the stand in the middle of the room working on the bikes. Is it a nursery or a man cave?

mtbr member
    Its amazing what a little paint will do. I'm sure liking the rolling tool workcart. I also moved the packs and riding paraphernalia into one space. The wife is sure happy now that she can park in the garage without all those bikes in the way.
    The last stage will be fabricating a work bench with under counter storage. Oh, and the comfy chairs and mantle for over the fireplace.
    Are bikes with flowered baskets allowed in a man cave?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    YEah, there is lots of room to add in posters and stuff. Maybe some climbers or some surfers. I just bought a print from an artist in California. Called "Choices". Check out Mo Ryan at www.moryanart.com/index.php
    Flowered girl bikes are allowed, as are pretty girls in summer dresses, but once the weather improves, out it goes! Same with the plants. They also live outside in the summer but winter time would kill them when it gets below 10 degrees. And finally, beer. The garage holds a few bottles of brew, especially this time of year, keeping it at a perfect 40 degrees at floor level. No electricity needed!
    Its amazing how working on a bike at waist to eye height changes the whole out approach to bike maintenance. For how many years did I just flip the bike over to any and all bike work. Tonight I had my old ritchey up on the bike stand and oh boy, does it need some work. Pedal bearings are shot as is the headset. That bike is pretty much original parts from 1987, and its got a lot of miles. It would be fun to get it back into respectable shape some day.
    Finally, I got the new grill today. Bought one of those Weber "Q's" Very nice for our needs. My wife laughed at my using the 40 gallon propane tank as fuel supply. I said why not, since the forge it used to power is gone. I won't have to fill it, maybe once a year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    wow that is a big improvement

I like the paint! Good job.

mtbr member

Final pictures

The shop is mostly complete. Today I fabricated a work table with storage underneath. I cut and welded up the steel for the frame, used expanded metal under the wood platforms for extra support. The wood is just three quarter plywood. I went middle of the road on the plywood. Looked at the nice maple 12mm plywood but at $51 a sheet I passed to the $32 ply. Its pretty stout.
    So, this is where I live now. Even set up the computer to websurf and dink around here on mtbr. Gotta play when I can cause I start a new job next week. I plan on riding Sedona on Saturday, conditions are pretty sweet! Time and place TBD. Chime in if interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We call it the "Bike Room" it also has a small collection of Tonka's
    And a couple of vintage bikes...
    Last edited by Billy B; 01-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    The shop is mostly complete. Today I fabricated a work table with storage underneath. I cut and welded up the steel for the frame, used expanded metal under the wood platforms for extra support. The wood is just three quarter plywood. I went middle of the road on the plywood. Looked at the nice maple 12mm plywood but at $51 a sheet I passed to the $32 ply. Its pretty stout.
    So, this is where I live now. Even set up the computer to websurf and dink around here on mtbr. Gotta play when I can cause I start a new job next week. I plan on riding Sedona on Saturday, conditions are pretty sweet! Time and place TBD. Chime in if interested.
    Wow - you are really handy! Room is looking great, but are you sure it's done? These things are always a work in progress. I would suggest one more work bench against the wall where the bench is about waist high and long so you can work standing up and really spread things out, like when you do a fork rebuild. And mount a vice on one of the tables. I would suggest a small frig under the bench but then you may never leave the room so maybe keep the beer in the kitchen to force yourself out of the cave every now and then

Have fun in Sedona and good luck at your new job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Wow - you are really handy! Room is looking great, but are you sure it's done? These things are always a work in progress.
    Please don't say this. After 3+ (or is it 4?...times flies when your allegedly having fun) years of gutting and remodeling our house and back yard, I was kind of looking forward to taking advantage of our labors of love. But, or course, the SO said to me a couple weeks ago "now, we can work on the garage" (which I'm planning on making a man cave). In its current state, it looks like we got a visit from the Tasmanian devil.

I will admit, after seeing these pictures, and the overall progression, I'm jealous, and partially excited to get started.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Please don't say this. After 3+ (or is it 4?...times flies when your allegedly having fun) years of gutting and remodeling our house and back yard, I was kind of looking forward to taking advantage of our labors of love. But, or course, the SO said to me a couple weeks ago "now, we can work on the garage" (which I'm planning on making a man cave). In its current state, it looks like we got a visit from the Tasmanian devil.

I will admit, after seeing these pictures, and the overall progression, I'm jealous, and partially excited to get started.
    I feel your pain. I remodeled the bath last fall and now the misses wants a new bath tub, the corner type. So I have to move the plumbing cover up the door hole rework all that tile.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Good job! Nice work!

I still have a long way to go before my little garage bike shop looks that nice. I've been thinking about getting the walls textured and painted and sealing the floor but too many other projects have been getting in the way. Here's a couple pics and a shot of a cool little toolbox/fridge I've had my eye on

Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides
    I still have a long way to go before my little garage bike shop looks that nice. I've been thinking about getting the walls textured and painted and sealing the floor but too many other projects have been getting in the way. Here's a couple pics and a shot of a cool little toolbox/fridge I've had my eye on
    That is a sweet fridge!

Pivotal figure
    What kinda fridge only has 3 beers in it though?

slower than you
    i've installed tracklights and (not pictured) paradigm in-wall speakers... otherwise it's still just a garage full of bikes and skis, i guess.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    i've installed tracklights and (not pictured) paradigm in-wall speakers... otherwise it's still just a garage full of bikes and skis, i guess.
    Para Dig 'Ms. I have those for the front line in my home theater system.

Members who have read this thread: 2