banned
    May 2015

Mama Told Me Not To Come (Brown's Ranch farewell ride)

Saturday at 9am

Brown's Ranch main TH

Amy's Meet-Up Group. https://www.meetup.com/azmtnbiking/e...M2I1NTIwOGZmOA

18 miles, rides more like 25

Less than 5 miles on existing Brown's Ranch Trails. The rest is a tour of some of the best of the legacy Moto trails. Three trails on this route have already been plowed over (we have other new trails to divert onto), so this may be the last chance to enjoy trails over 30 years old that have lots of advanced level challenges. The expert tech challenges are all optional and have ride-arounds. This is essentially a XC route with over 100 whoop-dee-do's, lots of high-banked corners and big rollers.

Meatbomb
    I contributed to the development of those trails on my CR 500...

banned
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I contributed to the development of those trails on my CR 500...
    For those about to ride, we salute you.

mtbr member
    Im only good for about 15 miles after that its not much fun. Probably working that day anyway..

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It's a really fun route. I enjoyed the tour a couple weeks ago, but I won't be able to make it this Sat. And no, I wasn't the one walking all the B-lines!! Get it while you can.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

parenting for gnarness
    Boris or Schillingsworth et al - would love a gpx of your route. Cant make it, but always look to enjoy some b-lines.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

banned
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Boris or Schillingsworth et al - would love a gpx of your route. Cant make it, but always look to enjoy some b-lines.
    I'm expecting 15-30 riders. I'll ask if any of them can provide the gpx. I have no applications to do so. I'm meeting with preserve managers and a State Land representative Friday to get some clarity on what each of them was trying to accomplish by eradicating trails on the State Land parcel, and if they are done with that work as they have told me they are. I'd prefer not to play cat and mouse with them, but I do ride on the State Land parcel and do not want to bring too much attention to how and where I enter and exit that area. I would have thought that if they are planning to auction off that land this year, they wouldn't be squandering time and energy working with City of Scottsdale to have them pay their trail builder to plow trails on lands that will be fenced off and destroyed after the land is sold.

Let me know if you would like a guided tour of the route.

mtbr member
    Would it be possible to post a track of your ride/route? Maybe someone uses something like RideWithGPS or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

DFL>DNF>DNS
    This is the route I have from a couple weeks ago. There's a slight change to the end of this track as part of it has now been plowed under. When you reach Hawknest, stay on the new extension heading south for a little bit, no more than 1/2 a mile I'm told. Make a right, then a quick left after 75' or so. This should then get things back on route after riding a new cut for a bit. YMMV.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Two Schillingsworth

banned
    May 2015
    Schillingsworth has the ability to post a gpx file. I tend to ride old school and stop once in a while at intersections and look for clues left near the turn to indicate which way to go.

As he mentioned, towards the end of the route, there has been a slight reroute for a half mile. The trail builder is hard at work on Corridor B and that included plowing up two of the trails that were part of my route. No worries though, he constructed new trail that is better in some ways. Just be sure that when you roll up on the west end of Hawknest, you keep going straight onto the new trail for a quarter mile uphill. At the junction, turn right and then follow the left trail at the split just 75 feet past that junction. That is very new trail and has some fun spots built in. When it feeds into the area beneath the power lines where many trails converge, you get back on my route by staying to the left and going around the corner and then uphill next to the fence line, although the builders have been removing most of the old fencing as they move along.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I canít open a gpx file. I only use either Strava or RWGPS on my iPhone. Maybe a screen shot of you tracks would work. I love Brownís Ranch. At 70 y/o itís the perfect place for me to ride. I usually ride from the Alma School TH and have not gone beyond Hackamore or Hawksnest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    May 2015
    One or more people on the ride will be using Strava. That might allow others to follow the route on their own. The route seems to be more fun for expert level riders who can carry speed up and over short steep climbs and maneuver around obstacles and dance across some sandy washes. Also, a lot of the rhythm sections were originally built for motorcycles, and a certain amount of speed works best to enjoy them. The route going through State Trust Land is a lot like riding on a roller coaster. Once you get up to speed, you mostly just lay off the brakes in order to maintain momentum and flow up and over each subsequent roller. The best part of all is I rarely see any other riders or hikers or horses.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Unfortunately I canít open a gpx file. I only use either Strava or RWGPS on my iPhone. Maybe a screen shot of you tracks would work. I love Brownís Ranch. At 70 y/o itís the perfect place for me to ride. I usually ride from the Alma School TH and have not gone beyond Hackamore or Hawksnest.

Just download the file & upload it to RWGPS. I'd post my Strava ride of it, but there was some backtracking here & there, this is a cleaned up file of what we rode.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Just download the file & upload it to RWGPS. I'd post my Strava ride of it, but there was some backtracking here & there, this is a cleaned up file of what we rode.
    I donít have a computer to download it. Only an iPad.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I donít have a computer to download it. Only an iPad.
    Gotcha. Try this: RWGPS: BR Tour
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Gotcha. Try this: RWGPS: BR Tour
    Perfect. Thank you. I can copy that ride to my routes. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander