made it up to Mine today!- Mtbr.com
    Control Freak

Wink made it up to Mine today!

Up to Hawes, finally took the trail up to Mine and made it...thanks to Doug for showing me the way! Fun Times!

of course on the way down I was slow but I made some more switchbacks without stopping which always makes me feel better since I seem to have the most trouble with them.

EDR
    Cool! That's some of the best of what Hawes has to offer.

mtbr member
    Congrats man! I was just at Hawes earlier today but didn't see you (between 2:30-5:30pm). We should meet up one of these days.

Control Freak
    I will be out there tomorrow...but I dont know what time. I will post here when I know...

Tim

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work! Coming down that section is a BLAST!!!!

Got a suspension fork
    Hey I recognize that spot! Crispy and I were up there a few months back, that was a healthy climb to get up there. Sort of reminds me of some sections in McDowells, Lost Dog I think.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

aka Diesel
    Ah, sacred ground you're standing on there, in that pic. :-)

Nice job! After years of riding out there I still can't do those switchbacks without clipping out one foot as a just-in-case. Glad you had fun, and next time you come out, take the trail that splits right, instead of going up to Mine. That's Twisted Sister, and you'll love it!

Control Freak
    oh I dont ride clipped in for a reason..i dont feel safe LOL...and I made it to the top..not to say i came out of the pedals once and had to walk up to a flat spot to start up again..and 2 spots I walked one on the front and one on the back...but was a great ride...twisted sister is next but I hear its rough but fun...

To be honest my favorite part of hawes is up cardiac over to disneyland and then secret is a blast..over to mine and then up mine now and down the back side....

Tim

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    oh I dont ride clipped in for a reason..i dont feel safe LOL...and I made it to the top..not to say i came out of the pedals once and had to walk up to a flat spot to start up again..and 2 spots I walked one on the front and one on the back...but was a great ride...twisted sister is next but I hear its rough but fun...

To be honest my favorite part of hawes is up cardiac over to disneyland and then secret is a blast..over to mine and then up mine now and down the back side....

Tim
    Yeah sometimes I regret abandoning my flat pedals, because I definitely had a sense of security that bailing would be easier, which gave me more of an edge on the tech stuff. But dang, I don't miss the feeling of those bearclaw teeth on the flat pedals, digging into my shins when I botched something.

As to Twisted Sister, is way easier than the backside of Mine, in my opinion. There's nothing I have to clip-out for going over that, barring a couple of rutted-out climbs at the start. It's a great little trail both directions. Have fun discovering the rest of Hawes! Wait until you see it during spring. It's stunning.

Control Freak
    I just started riding late summer...so I havent seen the spring yet, but I am looking forward to it...I will give Twisted Sister a try next time..we were going to go that way but I had already told the wife I would be home at a certain time and was already late...seems the more I ride the longer my rides get or have to get LOL. Way better than smoking though

Tim

PS: I dont hit my shins all too often, but I did when I was approaching the top of sunrise a few weeks ago and man that hurt...

How much further ???
    I just started riding late summer...so I havent seen the spring yet, but I am looking forward to it...I will give Twisted Sister a try next time..we were going to go that way but I had already told the wife I would be home at a certain time and was already late...seems the more I ride the longer my rides get or have to get LOL. Way better than smoking though

Tim

PS: I dont hit my shins all too often, but I did when I was approaching the top of sunrise a few weeks ago and man that hurt...
    Sack up and get those clipless back on. If you are preparing to put a foot down you will.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I agree with Dee, Hawes in the springtime (especially if it's a wet winter) is just absolutely beautiful! Twisted Sister and the Tower trail are the only parts of the system I haven't hit yet. I need to get out there soon.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    I agree with Dee, Hawes in the springtime (especially if it's a wet winter) is just absolutely beautiful! Twisted Sister and the Tower trail are the only parts of the system I haven't hit yet. I need to get out there soon.
    Heck yes you do. You're missing the best parts! Granted, the Tower trail also manages to make me use my seat like a bowflex, but that's the fun of Hawes: something challenging for everyone. I take it you guys also haven't seen Wild Horse, if you haven't done TS yet? It can be a chollaball minefield and a bit sandy, but it's still good to do a coast to coast, if you want a nice workout. Not to mention you can play at the NRA pit for a little intermission from riding. (Or, just watch 'em jump, like I do. I choose life.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode (sorta) the tower trail the other day. I ended up walking about 50% of it up and riding about 95% down. There are a couple pretty tricky moves that I wasn't going to attempt riding solo, and it was a ton of effort to get up there. Not sure if I'd do it again, but the views were nice. There is a ridiculous amount of crushed granite that makes everything extremely slick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Heck yes you do. You're missing the best parts! Granted, the Tower trail also manages to make me use my seat like a bowflex, but that's the fun of Hawes: something challenging for everyone. I take it you guys also haven't seen Wild Horse, if you haven't done TS yet? It can be a chollaball minefield and a bit sandy, but it's still good to do a coast to coast, if you want a nice workout. Not to mention you can play at the NRA pit for a little intermission from riding. (Or, just watch 'em jump, like I do. I choose life.)
    Yeah I still haven't hit up WH since I haven't done TS. How long is the ride from the TS turn off point all the way to NRA and is it a rough climb up TS compared to the other climbs at Hawes (i.e. Cardiac, Mine)? I think I'll stay away from the Tower trail until I get a group of people to go. I would not like to endo up there by myself.

And I am in total agreement, I value life when it comes to jumps. I'll just watch the show. LOL

Control Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Sack up and get those clipless back on. If you are preparing to put a foot down you will.

hahaha Doug....I will stay on flats...everything is possible on flats I challenge you to get some flats and try it out..I would say Sack up to you and get the balls to use flats and make it up some of the stuff you say you cant get up without being clipped in...I know I can :P

How much further ???
    Yeah I still haven't hit up WH since I haven't done TS. How long is the ride from the TS turn off point all the way to NRA and is it a rough climb up TS compared to the other climbs at Hawes (i.e. Cardiac, Mine)? I think I'll stay away from the Tower trail until I get a group of people to go. I would not like to endo up there by myself.

And I am in total agreement, I value life when it comes to jumps. I'll just watch the show. LOL
    I think it comes in around 5 miles or so. The climb up Twisted is more technical than the others Id say but only because the trail is narrower with a fair amount of exposure. Nothing too crazy. The drop down big rock is ok. Very tight with cactus at every corner. Wild Horse is good XC riding. 3.3 miles end to end with a gradual climb going west to east.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    hahaha Doug....I will stay on flats...everything is possible on flats I challenge you to get some flats and try it out..I would say Sack up to you and get the balls to use flats and make it up some of the stuff you say you cant get up without being clipped in...I know I can :P
    Maybe I should go back to riding a BMX bike too.

aka Diesel
    lol
    That's exactly what I used to say to everyone who poked me to go clipless. I could go up and down everything they could, without the benefit of the "pull" from clipless. Did that for a year and a half, until I finally took the plunge (thanks to Surfndav). BUT- that said... once you go clipless you really can't go back. There are a lot of perks to being clipless, one of which includes the oh-so-powerful motivators called fear and PAIN- you learn to commit, or else.

aka Diesel

Once TS spits you out (from the ridge portion of the trail) it's a fast (albeit sandy), fun, downhill to a mini-pit, at which point you reach a juncture that if you go left, takes you to the road, if you go right, turns into Wild Horse. From that spot, it's about 3 miles until you reach the NRA pit/Usery road. As mentioned, it's got a few tight spots and some exposure and stuff you might walk until you get familiar with it, but it's totally do-able, and the scenery is well worth-it.

I'm with you on the group thing for the Tower Trail- it's isolated enough that if you get into trouble, it might be awhile before anyone shows up to help.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    I rode (sorta) the tower trail the other day. I ended up walking about 50% of it up and riding about 95% down. There are a couple pretty tricky moves that I wasn't going to attempt riding solo, and it was a ton of effort to get up there. Not sure if I'd do it again, but the views were nice. There is a ridiculous amount of crushed granite that makes everything extremely slick.
    Lots of two-wheeled surfing down that stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Doug & Dee! I think I'll give it a spin next time I head out (probably xmas eve). Come to think of it, we should all do a group ride around Hawes one of these days/weeks. It's been a long time! I remember doing some of the night riding in the summer with all you guys. Now that was fun!

aka Diesel
    Thanks for the info Doug & Dee! I think I'll give it a spin next time I head out (probably xmas eve). Come to think of it, we should all do a group ride around Hawes one of these days/weeks. It's been a long time! I remember doing some of the night riding in the summer with all you guys. Now that was fun!
    You're welcome! And agreed! It's way past time for a group ride on Hawes. It's been forever! In fact, it's been forever since I was on my bike at all!! Night rides during summer are some of my best memories! SO fun! We'll get something together soon!

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to make it to either the Quad bypass and/or the AZT Jamboree this year. Hope to see you guys there!

EDR
    delete...wrong thread

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Yeah sometimes I regret abandoning my flat pedals.
    Why do I feel like I just got kicked in the gut? Some people never appreciate what others do for them.

Good news though, flat peddles are cool again. I'm not sure what the single speed crowd thinks of em though.

Edit: I just saw the post further down this thread where you give me props. Thank you for the love.
    Last edited by surfndav; 12-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So exactly where is that mine entrance shown in the OP photo? I have ridden every inch of hawes (save the tower trails, I will get to those someday) and don't recall seeing that area. Mind you, my head is usually down and I am focused on covering ground quickly so I am not looking around too much. I would figure it to be somewhere just west of the Mine Trail / WH-TS trail junction?

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb
    So exactly where is that mine entrance shown in the OP photo? I have ridden every inch of hawes (save the tower trails, I will get to those someday) and don't recall seeing that area. Mind you, my head is usually down and I am focused on covering ground quickly so I am not looking around too much. I would figure it to be somewhere just west of the Mine Trail / WH-TS trail junction?

Find the highest elevation in all of Hawes (aside from the Towers trail). Look left, you'll see it.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb
    If you know where the TS turnoff post is, just keep going west up the last climb. When you top out you will have to turn right to go around the north side of the hill. Just before that right turn, the mine entrance is right there on the left. It's pretty hard to miss!

There are a few other mines scattered around as well. I know there is one right below a left hand turn switchback and there is a smaller one just past that one on the right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I rode pretty much everything today except the towers and the WH/TS trails and was it just perfect. The ground was damp to perfection so I got to say if you haven't been out for a ride yet today, you are certainly going to be missing out!

BTW, I saw the mine that is in the OP photo for the first time today and I ride by it regular. I guess I need to look around a bit more ehh? Just too focused on the trail I am covering I guess.

Control Freak
    awesome..i cant ride tomorrow...cant ride on Sunday got scheduled OT so 16 hours in one day and that is thru the night..then going to Polar Express with the kids..be back Tuesday...maybe Tuesday...

mtbr member
    If I don't go skiing on Tuesday I'll do a ride out at Hawes. I was just out there today and I was crazy happy I finally cleaned cardiac hill from bottom to the very top without stopping! Woo hoo!!

Let'er Buck
    If you guys ride Tuesday and don't mind me tagging along post a time up and I will try to make it. I have done the mine loop and a few others out there but not twisted sister and really need to see NRA one of these days.
    Kris
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Why do I feel like I just got kicked in the gut? Some people never appreciate what others do for them.

Good news though, flat peddles are cool again. I'm not sure what the single speed crowd thinks of em though.

Edit: I just saw the post further down this thread where you give me props. Thank you for the love.
    Of course I gave you props! You're the reason I went clipless, rode trails other than Hawes, entered events/races, and joined this forum!! In other words, you're to blame for EVERYTHING! heh.

As to what the SS crowd thinks of flat pedals, it's all in the family! I'm still too skeered to catch air (well it's the landing thing that I actually fear), but I have no fear of watching.

aka Diesel
    I'm hoping to make it to either the Quad bypass and/or the AZT Jamboree this year. Hope to see you guys there!
    Definitely!!

Members who have read this thread: 0