lower papago - the trails less traveled- Mtbr.com
    im4Gsus

lower papago - the trails less traveled

this morning i decided to take andre to papago to see how well he climbs. i parked at the little park on college and curry roads.

5:40am the ducks are sleeping and the hillfest begins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

im4Gsus
    #3 a narrow pass
    #4 three choices to the very top. left- around the mountain or right- very steep direct to the top. to early to suffer, so i took the middle path.

im4Gsus
    huff, puff i make it to the top!
    #5 looking east - curry road
    #6 looking south towards tempe lake / asu

im4Gsus
    nice trails back there but not many miles of them.
    #7 steep loose downhill crossing over curry and arriving at the
    #8 jumps (nobody jumping at 6am )

im4Gsus
    past the tomb and lakes to the minibutte overlook.
    #9 the double buttes
    #10 the trail on the east side of the double buttes.

hard to believe such beauty and rough area exists in the middle of town. i rode 10.5 miles in 1-1/2 hours and it was not too hot.

yup, t'was a good morning in the valley of the sun!
    K

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice pics, looks like a good time. I rode this morning, even had the camera, but, as usual I got too busy riding to use it.

Rita

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    this morning i decided to take andre to papago to see how well he climbs. i parked at the little park on college and curry roads.

5:40am the ducks are sleeping and the hillfest begins.
    Nice post Sativa, thanks for sharing!! The morning light puts a shine on Papago. I rode to work around 8 this morning and just got home at 7:30 - nice and toasty both ways but I'd rather have it too hot than too cold any day

mtbr member

Mtb

Hmmm, nice pics. Is that an Astrix 29er?

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by sgaarmy
    Hmmm, nice pics. Is that an Astrix 29er?
    sure is!

Too many Sedonuts...
    Nice pics. Did you change your grips? Thought you had those ergo-looking things or was that on your Turner? (I forgot his name...)

Steep Hill
    Great pics of Papago! Although a rocky history, it sounds like good things are in it's future. Passing on this article from the National Park Service. Btw, President Wilson was a clydesdale.

--------------------------------------
    Phoenix's famed Papago Saguaro National Monument abolished in 1930 after development ruined the treasure
    --------------------------------------

The red sandstone buttes of Papago Park rise 1,700 feet above Phoenix, Arizona, luring visitors to the park's many recreational attractions and scenic sights.

President Woodrow Wilson declared the Papago Saguaro National Monument on January 31, 1914 for its “splendid examples of the giant and many other species of cacti and the yucca palm, with many additional forms characteristic of desert flora, [that] grow to great size and perfection and are of great scientific interest, and numerous prehistoric pictographs of archaeologial and ethnological value” (Proc. No. 1262).

Early Native Americans knew the area and placed particular significance in the formation now known as Hole-in-the-Rock. The Hohokam people marked the changing seasons and predicted seasonal events by monitoring the sun's movement through a naturally eroded opening in the rock's overhang onto marks made in the ground below.

On April 7, 1930, Papago Saguaro became the first national monument to be "abolished." By Congressional act the National Monument designation was removed and the land ownership was transferred from the federal government to the state and local governments. A number of reasons contributed to the change. Like many other national monuments, Papago Saguaro received little funding for even basic preservation and management tasks. Over time, it became a popular tourist destination and camping spot, but had insufficient funds to repair graffiti or advertisements painted on the rocks. Additionally, many saguaros, the namesake cacti of the national monument, were stolen for landscaping or for sale. Other factors included an opportunity to install a canal for a bass hatchery to support sports fishing. The canal easement also allowed for massive power lines that distracted from the national monument’s image of protecting natural resources.

Public and political figures began to pressure the state parks to take control of Papago Saguaro to see if they could stem the deterioration. After four years of behind-the-scenes efforts, petitions, letters and meetings from Arizona political figures and state park officials, in 1930 Congress transferred ownership to the state for park, recreational, and public convenience purposes. Part of the site was transferred to the City of Tempe to the National Guard for use as a rifle range. Another section was used for the canal and power lines. The park was known as Papago Saguaro National Monument until it was re-designated an Arizona state park.

The city of Phoenix purchased Papago Park in 1959 and filled the site's 1,200 acres with recreational and educational features. Visitors enjoy the park's gradual trails, well-equipped picnic areas, fishing lagoons, pike paths, zoo, botanical garden, fire museum, and golf course. Today, visitors continue to appreciate the features of the landscape that marked Papago Park as special over nine decades ago.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/archeology/sit...agoSaguaro.htm
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

im4Gsus
    nice history post, thanks for sharing!

i know papago is not for the techies, but i'm glad it's there cuz, imho, it offers a variety of trails, it's very centrally located and it's beeeeautiful!

K

Ridin' Dirty
    Nice Pics!!
    Looks like you had a great time out there
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

im4Gsus

ergo-looking grips

Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Nice pics. Did you change your grips? Thought you had those ergo-looking things or was that on your Turner? (I forgot his name...)
    you mean these?

yup, they're on angus the turner. the grips on andre are wide - for palm relief - and i have the cane creek bar ends which i LOVE more than these new ergos. the cane creeks are wide and cushy. the bar ends on the ergos are narrow and made out of metal. had i gotten the ergos w/o the barends i could've maybe added a set of cane creeks...

are you off this saturday? i'm planning a C-ride at mmp - sports/tech/long loop.

im4Gsus

one more

i had to work on four different pics to stitch this one.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! pop-up and pic the Papagos

wonderful pics and story; i felt i was there with you but alas the only trip i had was getting out of my chair.

not so on saturday; so, earlyto sleep on friday!!

Members who have read this thread: 0