mtbr member

Lost Chain at Tatum and Mockingbird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, let me preface this by saying that 1) this does involve lycra and 2) skinny-tires. At the urging of DirDir, I took the road bike out for the first time in I'm guessing over 4 years (I don't believe I've ridden it since moving to my new place). I have been riding the stationary trainer in the a.m. while watching the TdF, so it has not been completely collecting dust.

Anyway, about 3 miles into the ride, while crossing Tatum at Mockingbird, while in the small ring, my chain broke. Okay, no big deal as I've broken many a chain. Unfortunately, neither of us had a chain tool . Thankfully, we were not that far into the ride, so DirDir went back to get his tool. As I'm waiting, I notice that I broke a link in two (damn I'm strong). After further observation, I noticed at least 10 cracked links.

Anybody ever seen this before? Like I said, I've been riding it on the trainer for the last couple weeks, even rode an hour Saturday a.m. I thought it was kind of ironic that it decides to break while I'm actually out on the road, as well while in the small ring with very little torque.

On a side note, DirDir was smart enough to actually bring a chain back with him--even though he had no idea my chain was toast, as he just assumed I broke a pin. We ended up riding up through Mummy Mountain. What an amazing ride; the houses in that area are outrageous. I actually think I might start riding the road bike again (so please keep your damn space when shuttling, okay!?!?!?).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    ...did you go off any sweet jumps?

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Okay, let me preface this by saying that 1) this does involve lycra and 2) skinny-tires. At the urging of DirDir, I took the road bike out for the first time in I'm guessing over 4 years (I don't believe I've ridden it since moving to my new place). I have been riding the stationary trainer in the a.m. while watching the TdF, so it has not been completely collecting dust.

Anyway, about 3 miles into the ride, while crossing Tatum at Mockingbird, while in the small ring, my chain broke. Okay, no big deal as I've broken many a chain. Unfortunately, neither of us had a chain tool . Thankfully, we were not that far into the ride, so DirDir went back to get his tool. As I'm waiting, I notice that I broke a link in two (damn I'm strong). After further observation, I noticed at least 10 cracked links.

Anybody ever seen this before? Like I said, I've been riding it on the trainer for the last couple weeks, even rode an hour Saturday a.m. I thought it was kind of ironic that it decides to break while I'm actually out on the road, as well while in the small ring with very little torque.

On a side note, DirDir was smart enough to actually bring a chain back with him--even though he had no idea my chain was toast, as he just assumed I broke a pin. We ended up riding up through Mummy Mountain. What an amazing ride; the houses in that area are outrageous. I actually think I might start riding the road bike again (so please keep your damn space when shuttling, okay!?!?!?).
    I've been riding more road lately also. Got a nice loop which brings me up into MM and back down to Shea along the Pima bike path & access road. The climb up Hummingbird kills me!

I don't think you will ever create the torque in a trainer that you do while riding.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 07-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    ...did you go off any sweet jumps?
    Unfortunately no, but we did miss out on our Stand By Me moment. While biking through a golf course, we came upon three vulchers. I was convinced somebody dumped a body in the lake, but DirDir didn't want to go an investigate. Something do to with getting his shos dirty.

I am Walt
    Anyway, about 3 miles into the ride, while crossing Tatum at Mockingbird, while in the small ring, my chain broke.
    You were in the small ring on a road bike...?
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929

I don't think you will ever create the torque in a trainer that you do while riding.
    I'm not so sure.Trainers have always felt to put more power directly to the drive train to me Here are some theories...

1. Maybe a trainer puts more strain on the chain because the forward momentum of riding on a road if different from the rollers spinning the rear wheel. and the pedal strokes are more harsh

2. maybe starting a bike up on a trainer is more stressful on the chain than road riding.

3. maybe making a bike stationary puts more torque on a chain because there is less of the slight side to side sway that occurs when the bike is actually balanced on 2 wheels.

4. maybe I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    You were in the small ring on a road bike...?
    Funny you make this comment. I very seldom ride in the small ring (I only have a double), but noticed DirDir was in his small, and spinning a la Lance. I threw it in as well, and was riding high cadence, just for the hell of it. But I could barely get my heart rate up over 115 BPM the entire ride. I have no idea what our average MPH was, as I just just happy being out on the road. That area on Mummy Mt. is awesome. Some really cool looking houses.

parenting for gnarness
    Funny you make this comment. I very seldom ride in the small ring (I only have a double), but noticed DirDir was in his small, and spinning a la Lance. I threw it in as well, and was riding high cadence, just for the hell of it. But I could barely get my heart rate up over 115 BPM the entire ride. I have no idea what our average MPH was, as I just just happy being out on the road. That area on Mummy Mt. is awesome. Some really cool looking houses.
    Walt has some unfounded bias against small rings, maybe cause he breaks them. I am in my small ring a lot on harder climbs (I also have a double). I can always tell when I've been roadieing a lot as the easier climbs I can handle in the bigger ring. I think the key target is your cadence - if you are much under ~80, you need a smaller gear.

my wife's bike has a compact crank and she rarely uses the small ring. She is also stronger than me when it comes to maintaining a tall gear, but RPMs lower than I do. Prolly cause she is a runner. Go figure...
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Walt has some unfounded bias against small rings, maybe cause he breaks them. I am in my small ring a lot on harder climbs (I also have a double). I can always tell when I've been roadieing a lot as the easier climbs I can handle in the bigger ring. I think the key target is your cadence - if you are much under ~80, you need a smaller gear.

my wife's bike has a compact crank and she rarely uses the small ring. She is also stronger than me when it comes to maintaining a tall gear, but RPMs lower than I do. Prolly cause she is a runner. Go figure...
    I've always been considered a masher. I typically ride if a very low cadence (I'd guess sub 80). But I felt really comfortable just spinning yesterday.

On the trainer, I was riding in the 3rd from hardest gear to get the heartrate up. That was hard.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I'm not so sure.Trainers have always felt to put more power directly to the drive train to me Here are some theories...

1. Maybe a trainer puts more strain on the chain because the forward momentum of riding on a road if different from the rollers spinning the rear wheel. and the pedal strokes are more harsh

2. maybe starting a bike up on a trainer is more stressful on the chain than road riding.

3. maybe making a bike stationary puts more torque on a chain because there is less of the slight side to side sway that occurs when the bike is actually balanced on 2 wheels.

4. maybe I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

Maybe I am incorrect as I've never tried to analyze the resistance numbers. Just feels like there is less stress for me when riding a trainer compared to actual riding. I do always back down my gearing so I start in a lower gear on my next trainer ride.

mtbr member
    Maybe I am incorrect as I've never tried to analyze the resistance numbers. Just feels like there is less stress for me when riding a trainer compared to actual riding. I do always back down my gearing so I start in a lower gear on my next trainer ride.
    I was definitely pushing a bigger gear on the trainer. My guess is, just a fluke thing and was bound to happen sooner or later, on the road or on the trainer.

mtbr member
    I do always back down my gearing so I start in a lower gear on my next trainer ride.
    You could be on to something here...
    Skinny-T. Do you pay attention to the gear you are in when starting yoru trainer rides?
    I also think trainers that use resistance in the rollers has to put lots of strain on the chain. I think a combo of starting a trainer ride in high gear with reisitance could screw up a chain.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    You could be on to something here...
    Skinny-T. Do you pay attention to the gear you are in when starting yoru trainer rides?
    I also think trainers that use resistance in the rollers has to put lots of strain on the chain. I think a combo of starting a trainer ride in high gear with reisitance could screw up a chain.
    Thing I notice when using a trainer is I fail to lube a chain like I do with normal riding.

mtbr member
    This thread title was one exclamation point shy of getting my attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Members who have read this thread: 0