Closekids.com

Looking for a XC/AM, light knee pad

Any ideas? The guy at 661 suggested the Rage, but they look kinda heavy to me. I really want comfort with some protection not the other way around.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

SCRUBDUNKER

mtbr member
    The 661 Kyle Strait if you get them on closeout now, as shown above.
    They are now a bit redesigned and called the Rage.
    I have the Rage and they are great, pretty light, and I forget about them while riding, but they protect real well.

mtbr member

G-form? Others agree???

Saw couple riders with G-form on. They said it rocked, stayed in place, wasn't hot and such, but I've only seen the bright yellow foam core ones online. Couldn't say how long they are, but they look like a sock fit or a heavier material "knee brace" with well, just look online. My shins take a continual beating due to my stupidity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Any ideas? The guy at 661 suggested the Rage, but they look kinda heavy to me. I really want comfort with some protection not the other way around.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Do you mean the guy at Rage suggested the 661s?

Those are what I have. I don't wear them often, but they are light and comfy.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBenK View Post
    The 661 Kyle Strait if you get them on closeout now, as shown above.
    They are now a bit redesigned and called the Rage.
    What's different?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    What's different?

Thanks.
    Seems the main pad is a bit more round on the rage. Nothing that really makes any bit of difference. If you can get the Kyle Straights for 25$ get them.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I really am enjoying my Kali aazis pads...way more durable than 661. And I crash alot.

Huffy Rider
    I wear the G-form, totally comfortable. I forget they are there, perfect for xc. Pretty sure they come in all black now.

Add link: G-Form | Knee Pads

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I wear the G-form, totally comfortable. I forget they are there, perfect for xc. Pretty sure they come in all black now.

^ x2

banned
    Nov 2011
    Id ask that Blatant dude, he seems to spend alot of time on his knees

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Id ask that Blatant dude, he seems to spend alot of time on his knees
    dude, you get owned every time. Give it up. The funniest thing is you getting beat down and thinking you are coming out on top. What's the word I'm looking for... jester, clown, simpleton, I don't know it'll come to me. You're to dense to realize it. If that's your act, you must enjoy humiliation. Trolling is an art. Idiots are just idiots.

Alive and Lurkin'
    ^^He's e-love^^
    Pumpin & Pimpin

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos' View Post
    dude, you get owned every time. Give it up. The funniest thing is you getting beat down and thinking you are coming out on top. What's the word I'm looking for... jester, clown, simpleton, I don't know it'll come to me. You're to dense to realize it. If that's your act, you must enjoy humiliation. Trolling is an art. Idiots are just idiots.
    Really? you and Johnnio don't want any of this.....carry on.

mtbr member
    After consulting some medical books I believe Buggy's is a classic case of neglect thereby causing poor Buggy to breast feed from the family cat thus causing nipple confusion manifesting later in life through feelings of inadequacy causing small man's syndrome. This he is currently acting out on the MTBR boards.

Please don't agitate him. He may become unstable and heaven forbid the consequences for the neighborhood cats.

Peace,
    Dr. Milos'

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos' View Post
    After consulting some medical books I believe Buggy's is a classic case of neglect thereby causing poor Buggy to breast feed from the family cat thus causing nipple confusion manifesting later in life through feelings of inadequacy causing small man's syndrome. This he is currently acting out on the MTBR boards.

Please don't agitate him. He may become unstable and heaven forbid the consequences for the neighborhood cats.

Peace,
    Dr. Milos'
    Some of that may or may not be true, but one thing is for sure, i defiantly dont have smalll man syndrome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Some of that may or may not be true, but one thing is for sure, i defiantly dont have smalll man syndrome
    thou doth protest A little sensitive about this I see. That's understandable. Tell us more.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post

They sound very cool, but this review was very interesting. My crashes are a mix - some impacts to the knee, but lots of slides and tumbles, bonks and rubs on the frame or outside of the bike. I've also been catching the sides of my pads while HABing with flat pedals - the part of the review where they mentioned how the spandex tore was noteworthy here.

Wacha think motochick, was the review accurate? Not trying to knock anyone else's choice, just find the right one for me...hard to go wrong with Kyle Straits for ~$30.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

parenting for gnarness
    little bit of an aside, but I found great selection of youth pads and sizes at Sidewalk Surfer just down the street from Rage in S. Scottsdale. Cool, local shop with staff that knew their products. My little shredder is going to be psyched with her new pair. I found very little searching at Dicks, Big 5, Rage and Performance.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    I really am enjoying my Kali aazis pads...way more durable than 661. And I crash alot.
    how does the sizing compare to 661s?

what do you find makes them more durable - they seem similar in pics?

hotter, cooler, same as 661s?

what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

...just tore out the side of my Kyle Straits the other day and need a new pair.

Huffy Rider
    I have been wearing them for 9 months with nothing bad to say about them. I was concerned before I bought them about the spandex ripping or the pads getting shredded, due to all the pokey things here in AZ. I contacted the company and asked their thoughts on this. They assured me they would hold up, if not, return them for a full refund for ANY reason! He stressed ANY reason. I wash them in the washing machine quite a lot and they are still in "like new" shape. I haven't had any major crashes, just tipping over and landing on my knee, they worked. I also wear the elbow ones. For my first SOMO trip this week, I will be packing some hard knee guards for the trip down, to wear over these. The only negative thing to say about them is the black gets very hot in the summer when the sun beats down on them. I told them to make them in light grey or something, for us out here.

mtbr member

Dainese 3X for added shin protection

If you want shin protection as well, in a lightweight and very comfortable guard try the Dainese 3X guards.

They are not cheap at around $80, but I have had mine for several years through numerous impacts and washings, and they are still together.

They can also be worn on entire rides up long uphills with no chafing or hot spots. They fit the contours of the leg very well.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    No way you crash more than me. I got the videos to prove it

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    If you want something not as bulky as the strait's, try the Troy Lee 5400's. They slide on, so no straps and are very comfortable, perfect xc/am pads. They do run large so you may want to pick up a size smaller. I know Jenson has them. I use my 661 strait's strictly for dh.

JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just picked up a set of the G-Forms, will take them on their first ride today. I own both the Kalis and the Kyle Straits; far as I can tell, they're exactly the same. No complaints about them, other than bulk. Hucknroll is blowing out Straits for cheap.

Meatbomb
    How do you size them ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Closekids.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I just picked up a set of the G-Forms, will take them on their first ride today. I own both the Kalis and the Kyle Straits; far as I can tell, they're exactly the same. No complaints about them, other than bulk. Hucknroll is blowing out Straits for cheap.
    The bulk is what I'm trying to stay away from. How do the G-Forms look in comparison?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The G-Form is absolutely tiny in comparison. It's basically a spandex-like sleeve with the armor woven into it. Seems to fit very nice; I went by the company sizing chart. Will report back after riding today.

Huffy Rider
    There is NO bulk, here is the best pic I could find of me with the pads in use....me stopped on highline in the summertime. I was looking for the same thing, no bulk, some protection, not hot. They also have shin and forearm with combos to come soon. If you rip, tear or shred them, send them back and they will replace them. Very awesome.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    The G's look a tad bulkier than my 5500's. FWIW
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    POC joint knees are low profile and comfortable. they do run a bit small/snug though.

mtbr member
    May 2007

hard shell pads

they are relatively light,great protection,and stay in place. the soft pads i've tried slip around while riding

EDR
    So tempted to pick up the Kyle Straits from HucknRoll, that's a great price.

I keep reading about the bulk of them so lets be honest. For those of you who use them are they good for all day riding here in phx or if buying again right now would you opt for something else? (lets not count the summer months, everything is hot then).

thx

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    So tempted to pick up the Kyle Straits from HucknRoll, that's a great price.

I keep reading about the bulk of them so lets be honest. For those of you who use them are they good for all day riding here in phx or if buying again right now would you opt for something else? (lets not count the summer months, everything is hot then).

thx
    i ride in em all day, sometimes i get a little rub rash on the tops of my quads. they add .5 -1 inch to the outside\inside of your knees, which for aggressive riding can be nice to stop a lot of the owies you get from things other than direct impact - frame contact, random tumbles, getting caught where you fall sideways into a wall. the bulk is not really an issue when riding if you are used to pads, but you can tell they are bigger than a sleeve. I've worn the 661 Tomcats (like the Straits better specifically for the side protection and smaller hard-cap) and the Race Face plastic knee-shin combo - different (about the same heat, more protection but more bulk look goofy on AM). I'm going to pick up a set of the Troy Lee's AZDog recommended, dunno if i will like em for National but i think for snowboarding and PT, or rides where i'm just popping on the pads for a few minutes at a time and want to carry something small. I might order a set of the Kyle Straits too for the price...cant go wrong.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    For the HnR price, it's hard to go wrong. They are bulky, but after a half-hour you probably won't notice. ai specifically purchased the G-Form for the smaller diameter and tighter fit. Over time, pads like the Kali/Kyle Strait, etc will stretch out and, man, do they get stinky no matter how often you wash 'em.

Closekids.com
    For the HnR price, it's hard to go wrong. They are bulky, but after a half-hour you probably won't notice. ai specifically purchased the G-Form for the smaller diameter and tighter fit. Over time, pads like the Kali/Kyle Strait, etc will stretch out and, man, do they get stinky no matter how often you wash 'em.
    Anxiously await the ride report. Maybe you could take both and give your review???

SCRUBDUNKER
    I have the Kyle Straits and don't regard them as bulky and also don't get rashed up by them.

I wore them for about 2.5 hours on Saturday and really liked them.

EDR
    I seem to measure right on the XL size 18''/15''. Would you recommend go a size smaller if they stretch? I'd think not, at 17/14'' I bet they are too tight. I've had tight elbow pads and couldn't wear them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    I have the Kyle Straits and don't regard them as bulky and also don't get rashed up by them.
    Same here. I do 3-5 hour rides with them on, and I don't notice them. Mine don't slip, stretch or stink. I wash them every 3-4 rides.

I've looked at the slimmer pads, but I don't feel they offer enough protection. I've also tried on the expensive 661 Evo pads, but they don't have the small pads on the side of the knee like the KS pads do, so I wouldn't trade my KS pads for the 661 Evo pads.

The KS pads are worth paying full price. I've had a couple of bad crashes that broke bones, and my knees were unscathed. Since the KS pads are on sale, and you need pads, get them. They have been getting great reviews for years.

I wear my KS pads on all rides unless I opt for knee shin pads.

If for some reason the XL's were too large, you could always sew the straps back on to themselves to shorten the straps.
    Last edited by happyriding; 12-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Did my first run with the new pads today. Up VOAZ to Cheesegrater, around 1A, up and over Fat Man's Pass. Substantially less bulky that my Kali or Kyle Strait pads. Both G-Forms weigh far less than one of the other pads.

Fit tight, no slippage. With no cutout on the rear of the knee, I felt a little pinching at first, but I stopped noticing after a few minutes.

They seem a little delicate overall, but we'll see. I wouldn't wear 'em for DH runs, but for pedal rides, I think the G-Forms are decent.

No Clue Crew
    I wear my Kyle Straits, my new Riot Shin Guards, and my TLD 5550 elbow/forearm pads every ride and have no problems with them. Don't notice any of them and except for the hottest of days in the summer they stay put. The plus with the shin guards is that with them on the knee pads have absolutely nowhere to slip. I would recommend them any day of the week.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I wear my Kyle Straits, my new Riot Shin Guards, and my TLD 5550 elbow/forearm pads every ride and have no problems with them. Don't notice any of them and except for the hottest of days in the summer they stay put. The plus with the shin guards is that with them on the knee pads have absolutely nowhere to slip. I would recommend them any day of the week.
    minor hijack - thoughts on the elbow guards? My 661 veggies are almost disintegrated. They are comfy, fabric not neoprene, but all black and hot, also covers all the way to the wrist.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    minor hijack - thoughts on the elbow guards? My 661 veggies are almost disintegrated. They are comfy, fabric not neoprene, but all black and hot, also covers all the way to the wrist.
    I love 'em. I only got them 'cause 661 didn't make a Kyle Strait elbow pad... But, I'm happy with them.

They fit well and go most of the way to the wrist. Not the whole way but close. They are very comfortable and have a plastic insert in them that works like a champ. The last crash video I posted on Hairball I took a VERY hard shot to the left elbow when I went over the bars. When I gathered myself I actually felt my elbow because it hit so hard I thought I forgot to wear them. But, they were on. After 4 or 5 days it bruised up very nicely and 3+ weeks later it still hurts. But there was never a mark on the skin from it.

I might've been tempted to buy their knee or knee/shin guards but their shin guards don't cover much of your shin. For my long legs they couldn't cover more than half. The Veggies I had before they ripped as well as the new Riot or Rage or whatever they're called cover the whole shin. With the knees on my legs are covered completely.

Closekids.com
    Bought the Kyle Straits. Shipped for $30, it was a no brainer to try as a first run on knee pads.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Anyone ask Philbo? What about Jayem? Seems they have been wearing knee pads lately too!

Maybe also ask em for some lipstick

Closekids.com
    you know this chick has some...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

parenting for gnarness
    dooooooooood, 1998 called, it wants its d!(k jokes back.

EDR
    Are me and Bill Clinton the only ones who thought she was hot?

The wifey is going to order those KS's for xmas for me

how much for your sister
    Are me and Bill Clinton the only ones who thought she was hot?
    :
    She's got that "girl I fooled around with in high school but didn't want anyone to know about"
    quality. Durability I think is the correct term.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    She's got that "girl I fooled around with in high school but didn't want anyone to know about"
    quality. Durability I think is the correct term.
    Yeah, but she was always well put together, and she had that CSM, just ask Bill

I'm OUT

how much for your sister
    In comparison to his wife...yes.
    Today??

You're missing it. Take a marker and black out everything but her mouth and her ears. She's awesome.

Of course with the high protein diet she's gonna pack on a few...

Closekids.com
    In comparison to his wife...yes.
    Today??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a XC/AM, light knee pad-lewi.jpg  

Closekids.com
    This thread has really taken a dubious turn.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Got to put them to work today. Rode at SoMo from 46th, up Javelina, up Mormon and down 24th Street. Took a couple nice diggers and the G-Form pads did what they're supposed to do.

Closekids.com
    I changed my mind after the KS got here. They look great, but I think they are good to go for true downhillers. The XC/AM aspect of the G-Force pads are what I'm going to try. And they now come in all black

banned
    Nov 2011
    Got to put them to work today..
    Bet you did

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I changed my mind after the KS got here. They look great, but I think they are good to go for true downhillers. The XC/AM aspect of the G-Force pads are what I'm going to try. And they now come in all black
    HnR is part of the back_country_dot_com corporate umbrella, and the last I knew, they had a no questions asked return policy. Double check that, but if it's true, you can try out the KS pads for a couple of rides and return them if you are not satisfied.

Edit: here is HnR's scaled down return policy:

30-Day Unconditional Guarantee

We want you to be totally stoked on the products you receive from us. If at any time within 30 days of receiving your order you are not 100% satisfied, you may return it to us for an exchange or a full refund. No questions asked.
    Here is the corporate parent's:

Not stoked on your gear? Looking to return it or make an exchange? No problem, we have an Unlimited Return Policy: we guarantee complete satisfaction and an unlimited lifetime warranty. If at any time -- now, next month, in 30 years -- you're not 100% satisfied, send your gear back for a full refund. No questions asked.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    HnR is part of the back_country_dot_com corporate umbrella, and the last I knew, they had a no questions asked return policy. Double check that, but if it's true, you can try out the KS pads for a couple of rides and return them if you are not satisfied.

Edit: here is HnR's scaled down return policy:

Here is the corporate parent's:
    Yes, that's true but with $8 shipping already paid, and another 10 bucks to send them back your into them for $18 or so, and only paid $23 for them. Better off just waiting for the blowout to finish and put them on ebay. Probably get 40 bucks for them.

Closekids.com
    Bought the 661s and the G Forms. For me, the G Forms were vastly superior due to pure ergonomics. They are thin, don't slip and work. I had the front tire wash out while going at a pretty good clip on SOMO. Knee went straight into the rocks with me right on top. Knees were protected and didn't really bother me after a few seconds. Can't say the same for my Garmin though.

G form FTW.