Looking for trails in Flag I can take my 5 and 7 year olds.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for trails in Flag I can take my 5 and 7 year olds.

Anyone have any suggestions? I want somehting easy with not a lot of climbs.

Thanks

Guided by Voices
    Campbell Mesa Loops or Buffalo Park

Guided by Voices
    Forest service link to the Campbell Mesa Loops.

Flagstaff RD - Campbell Mesa Trail System

pedaller
    I would 2nd Buffalo Park for flat, scenic, wide trails with easy access.

I'd also suggest the FUTS segment from Sawmill Park along the Rio De Flag as an out and back.

It's a nice ride and once you go under the I-40 overpass you can go around the pond and then right on singletrack towards Coco Comm Coll. (The AZT is here also but wouldn't recommend it). Then return to the park at the end of the ride which is definitely a bonus for the kiddos.

Here are a few pics from last summer with my then 5 & 6 yr old.

Hoping to do a few more of these this summer!

EDIT: I was hoping to hear from a few locals to get more ideas myself!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Shred...it's the new drug
    I got to shuttle shultz with my 4 year old and fish's 5 year old this past weekend. We started about half way up...both were on 16" and shredded it up! Just a couple rock sections they wanted to walk but they probably rode 95% of it...So stoked to be dad when the got to the bottom and went "That was sooooo Rad! Let's do it again" Back in the truck and to the top for more fun! One of the best daddy days of my life

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to taking the family up the hill!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to taking the family up the hill!
    Ft. Tunstill (sp?) was decen for off the mountain when weather rolled in. There is also a bmx park over...east side of town. dunno where exactly.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Multiple Lines Rock
    That last picture with the two of you with both front wheels in the air is priceless!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    +1 for the Schultz shuttle.

My kids (5 and 7) did the down hill several times. Had someone pick them up at the bottom and they loved it. Ride back up if you want more of a workout....Kids can do way more than they appear capable of. Just remember that they may be 40-50 lbs riding a 30-40 lb bike....Kinda like me riding a 150 sled.....

pedaller
    Mark, you never said how your trip went... I hope it was good!

Here are some pics from our ride yesterday. I HIGHLY recommend the AZ Trail down from Sunset and Dog Food as an alternative as well!

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Mark, you never said how your trip went... I hope it was good!

Here are some pics from our ride yesterday. I HIGHLY recommend the AZ Trail down from Sunset and Dog Food as an alternative as well!

Awesome kids ripping it up pictures. +1

shred my gnar
    nice work noelg! seriously proud moments right there. one thing i love about being a parent currently is watching a whole new generation of rippers (bikes, skis, snowboards, motos) grow-up around us.

if my daughters (5 & 7) are bugging me to blow-off work so they can ditch high school to hit powder days and/or tacky trail days i will feel like i have done at least one thing right... lol (while sternly noting that this will be the only time this happens... and mom cannot know!).

ive been taking my 7 yo out... we park at the y, ride up to where the rocky(er) section of schultz starts and then turn around and rip back down and she loves it. im saying we may hit the l.logs by 9...

gotta try that azt to dogfood from sunset th... never thought about that one!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just took my daughter (12) and my girlfriend and her kids (8 & 10) to Flagstaff this weekend.

We stayed off Country Club Drive right by the trailhead to Campbell Mesa trails so we took them there.

All the kids had a great time, my daughter didn't have to get off her bike anywhere (she is used to climbing Sonoran Preserve where she does have to push in a few spots). The 8 yr old stopped in a couple of spots where she was nervous but she is new to a 24" bike with gears. The 10 yr old boy rode SS on a heavy big-box BMX-type bike (need to change that soon!) but he worked like crazy to keep up to my daughter.

I highly recommend these trails as being kid-friendly. I will have to try the other ones mentioned next time we go up.

Off topic: We took the kids to Extreme Flagstaff where they have the zip lines, etc and the kids had a blast. My daughter took gymnastics for 4-5 years and made it look easy but the younger ones and I had fun as well. Take your MTB gloves if you go...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Noelg, these pictures may be the coolest ones I have ever seen on here. Thanks for posting the kid stoke.

pedaller
    Thanks guys! We had a great time.

Looking forward to the next...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    NoelG. Looks like a Garmin on your handlebars. Do you mind posting a link to your ride or gpx/fit file so I could see exactly where you start?

Looks like a great ride for you and the kids.

pedaller
    No problem. I think I forgot to start it right at the start though. It's easy to figure out. I started it AFTER we crossed over Shultz Pass Road but it's a straight shot to that point from the parking lot.

Jr. Shuttle on the AZT & Dog Food by aginaz at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great. Thanks! That helps a lot.

Cool Pics... I had front and back GoPros last weekend with the new remote controls but I forgot the remote at the condo... There is probably a way to start them manually with the wifi backs attached but I didn't want to mess around when they were having fun.

Will need to take pics and video the next time we go.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We are going up tomorrow morning. My 4 year old son rides really good, and I just got my 7 year old daughter riding pretty good. We will see how it goes!

Mark

mtbr member
    Hi Noelg -

I am going to try the FUTS segment in the morning, thanks!
    Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    I would 2nd Buffalo Park for flat, scenic, wide trails with easy access.

I'd also suggest the FUTS segment from Sawmill Park along the Rio De Flag as an out and back.

It's a nice ride and once you go under the I-40 overpass you can go around the pond and then right on singletrack towards Coco Comm Coll. (The AZT is here also but wouldn't recommend it). Then return to the park at the end of the ride which is definitely a bonus for the kiddos.

Here are a few pics from last summer with my then 5 & 6 yr old.

Hoping to do a few more of these this summer!

EDIT: I was hoping to hear from a few locals to get more ideas myself!
    Last edited by Mark194; 07-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.

parenting for gnarness
    heading up next week, one kid on a 20inch the other with me on trail-a-bike. Any suggestions for something easy showing fall colors? the AZT\Dogfood route looked great for their skill but was hoping for something in the aspen...I forget how hard the Aspen Corner and 418 segments of AZT etc are?

Huffy Rider
    From last years memory, the section from 418 heading towards the aspens, is uphill, VERY gradual, easy, turny, groomed, for the first 6 miles or so. From Aspen Corner heading towards 418 is uphill, (after the initial down hill on the 2 tracker) a little steeper (in comparison to the previous) rockier, a tad more challenging, but it does have undulations. From Aspen Corner heading towards snowbowl road, groomed, easy for a bit, then steep up, then mostly down with some techy (for little kids) but then you need to be picked up or ride all the down backwards...uphill. Hope this helps and is somewhat close to accurate. Have fun!

mtbr member
    It's pretty much as Motochick described for AZ trail between 418 and Aspen Corner. And that's probably your best bet. Heading south from 418 the aspens peter out at the 2.5 mile mark and the trail is in thick conifers. That's a good turn around point. Still though it's pretty easy climbing to Bismark Lake from there and then your back in nice aspen groves. That's another mile making for a 6 mile round trip which is about all my youngest girl liked on her 24" bike. I wouldn't bother with Aspen Corner; it's a zoo right now.

live long and huck
    Looks great, noelg, as you know I'm always looking for something mild for my less adventurous better half.
    Low and slack.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It's pretty much as Motochick described for AZ trail between 418 and Aspen Corner. And that's probably your best bet. Heading south from 418 the aspens peter out at the 2.5 mile mark and the trail is in thick conifers. That's a good turn around point. Still though it's pretty easy climbing to Bismark Lake from there and then your back in nice aspen groves. That's another mile making for a 6 mile round trip which is about all my youngest girl liked on her 24" bike. I wouldn't bother with Aspen Corner; it's a zoo right now.
    thanks much Motochick and rockman, we'll try 418 to the lake next week.

Members who have read this thread: 0