mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Looking for tire advice. New to town

Just moved from Socal to Phoenix. I have a cross country mountain bike with 26" wheels currently. I have for the last several years been running Kenda small block 8 2.1 in the rear, and Kenda Slant 6 2.1 in the front. I have had no issues with these tires in California, but am worried about sidewall cuts from all of the rocks here. Have any of you run these? Also, what would be your suggestion? I don't think I can probably fit much more than a 2.1 width tire unfortunately.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Benlandis24 View Post
    Just moved from Socal to Phoenix. I have a cross country mountain bike with 26" wheels currently. I have for the last several years been running Kenda small block 8 2.1 in the rear, and Kenda Slant 6 2.1 in the front. I have had no issues with these tires in California, but am worried about sidewall cuts from all of the rocks here. Have any of you run these? Also, what would be your suggestion? I don't think I can probably fit much more than a 2.1 width tire unfortunately.
    Yes, those SB8ís wonít last long here. Iím not familiar with 26Ē offerings, but the Maxxis Ikon is one of them, thatís a proven and solid in AZ, at least on the 29Ē platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Guided by Voices
    +1 for the Ikons, I ran them on my 26" bike as well as my current 29" bikes with tubes and tubeless. Just be sure to get the EXO sidewall protection. I think the smallest width they come in is 2.2 though.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, Ikon's and EXO casing for sure. There are other brands with added sidewall protection if you can't find those, just be sure to have something other than the standard lightweight stuff (save those for race days )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Vittoria has some options as well. Barzo comes in 26 x 2.1 with TNT sidewall. Saguaro comes in 2.0 or 2.2 in a TNT sidewall. Personally I'd pair a slightly more aggressive front tire like the Goma (comes in 2.25 or 2.4 for 26) with a Barzo or Saguaro rear for better grip.

mtbr member
    When I was on my 26" HT discoved 2.35 Ikon EXO and loved them. However I found the 26 2.35 XR3 Team to have more durable sidewalls than the Ikon. I have kept the Ikon in front in 2.35 when moved 29" wheels 2 years ago, but moved to 29x2.2 XR3 for the back. Love the combo for grip and durability at reasonable weights. Great for XC/Trail tire.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ardent EXO 26 x 2.25 work very well for me. Oops, didn't see the 2.1" max. width.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Cymru am byth!
    I ride Ardents tubeless and love them on most trails in AZ and pretty much all Phoenix surrounding area stuff.