Looking for really smooth, buffed trail- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Huffer

Looking for really smooth, buffed trail

I had shoulder surgery in September and looking to test the waters so to speak on some smooth, non technical singletrack. The smoother the better... Haha. Distance not an issue. Any recommendations?

Guided by Voices
    Brown's Ranch

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    McKensie Ranch near Tucson

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    x2 Browns Ranch

Black and Sticky
    If you are in Phoenix area McDowell Mountain Regional Park will work well for you. Trails there that meet your specification are Granite, Bluff, Chuparosa, North, Tonto Tank, Delsie, Lariat, and the part of the Pemberton loop From where it intersects Tonto clockwise back around to trailhead. A good loop for you would be to ride Pemberton with the exception that you cut off the south part of Pemberton and instead ride Tonto Tank. Heres a map so this will make sense.

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/...well-8x114.pdf

By the way, you can use the Gooseneck Trail to connect up MMRP with the McDowell Sonoran Preserve north area (aka Browns Ranch). You can access Gooseneck at the far northwest corner of the Pemberton Trail near Granite Tank. See the map if youre interested.

Have fun!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Dirt Huffer
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. This will be a road trip. I'm coming down from Minnesota.

Any trails in the northern part of the state?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. This will be a road trip. I'm coming down from Minnesota.

Nothing to see here.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Nothing to see here.

Lol. I'd like to avoid Sedona... actually anywhere other than Sedona

With snow in the forecast lower elevation trails are going to be your choices.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Dirt Huffer
    Gotcha. How about Desert Classic? Is that a really smooth trail?

Elitest thrill junkie

You'd have to be fairly selective about trails in Granite Basin and Highland Pines, in Prescott. There are some smooth ones, but some of them lead to some chunky ones, so you'd have to be willing to turn around. The railroad grade is obviously smooth, so you could ride that, but not much fun IMO. Not sure about Flag, everything I always rode there was pretty chunky, but I never rode the lower-stuff around there. Definitely not Sedona!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    Browns Ranch or Pemberton is the best bet....

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Desert Classic is fairly smooth, but does have some rocky areas. Might be just fine. Like other said, Brown's and McDowell Mountain Park will be really buffed out. You can also get a lot of miles at those locations. Another to consider is Usery Park in NE Mesa. Very buff trails. Can do a good 13 mile or so loop. Just stay off Pass Mt trail. San Tan is another buffed system, but has a bit of a kitty liter surface. Hawes is fairly buffed as long as you take the right routes. You might need a guide for that one though.

Heal up and have a great visit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I wouldn't not suggest Desert Classic based on your request. Browns is an option but McDowell Mtn Park - Pemberton Trail was the trail I thought of first. Next might be Apache Wash at the Sonoran Preserve, but it's not as pretty as McDowell Mtn Park.

slower than you
    I had shoulder surgery in September and looking to test the waters so to speak on some smooth, non technical singletrack. The smoother the better... Haha. Distance not an issue. Any recommendations?
    Phil's World (Ribcage is as buff as they come, and it's almost almost in AZ, too).
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My wife and I are vacationing in AZ first week of April. Renting bikes in Scottsdale. Im an intermediate level rider and shes beginner. Ive heard Browns Ranch would probably be a good option. Any specific routes there more beginner friendly?

Or any other nearby trail systems that would fit that description as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    My wife and I are vacationing in AZ first week of April. Renting bikes in Scottsdale. Im an intermediate level rider and shes beginner. Ive heard Browns Ranch would probably be a good option. Any specific routes there more beginner friendly?

Or any other nearby trail systems that would fit that description as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much the same suggestions. Browns is good, find your way to see Cathedral Rock, maybe around Cholla Mtn Loop. Downhill on Maverick is kind of fun. Granite Mtn loop is good too.

McDowell, Pemberton is a real gentle trail but it is like 8 (easy) miles uphill. Take that around to Bluff (fun downhill) hook into Shalmo wash. The Sport loop is a short ride with a lot of fun rollers in and out of washes.

Dirt Huffer
    Thanks guys! Really looking forward to hitting the dirt after a 3 year absence overcomming multiple injuries. Absence has made the heart grow fonder, haha!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tucson area: Desperado trail at Sweetwater Preserve trail network. Honeybee Canyon - entire loop. Loop has a few chunky sections (downhill portion when riding counterclockwise), that can be ridden slowly or walked. No long sections of rock or drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    AC/BC. The Estrellas & the White Tanks may have what you are looking for. Enjoy