Thread: Local Shops...

BRILLIANT!

Local Shops...

After about a month of researching Im ready to purchase my new bike.

Im getting a Cannondale and I'm limited to only three dealers in the valley. Domenics and Paragon have the one I want in stock. Bicycle Ranch, would have to order it which is not that big of a deal. I know Domenics has been in town a long time, and Paragon is fairly new. I dunno much about BR. This will be my first purchase here in the valley, thoughts on these guys?

Domenics is closest, Paragon has a lower tax rate (which just covers gas out there and back) and BR offers lifetime tuneups on a new FS purchase. but is just as far as Paragon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez

Im getting a Cannondale and I'm limited to only three dealers in the valley. Domenics and Paragon have the one I want in stock. Bicycle Ranch, would have to order it which is not that big of a deal. I know Domenics has been in town a long time, and Paragon is fairly new. I dunno much about BR. This will be my first purchase here in the valley, thoughts on these guys?

Domenics is closest, Paragon has a lower tax rate (which just covers gas out there and back) and BR offers lifetime tuneups on a new FS purchase. but is just as far as Paragon.
    I've never been to Domenics, but I kind of know the manager (been to Moab with him a couple times), and he's a stand up guy (wait, am I allowed to comment on this Doug?). My GF bought her road bike from them too, and she had nothing but nice things to say about them as well.

I'm not familiar with Paragon, but I'm not a huge fan of BR (that's the one on Frank Lloyd near Target, yes?). Maybe it's the uniforms, or the "over the top" professionalism, but I just get a vibe from them I don't like. Again, that is just my opinion, and others might have a different impressinon.

Good luck.

(BTW, that Doug comment was an inside joke.)

sprocket

Bypass all the "local bicycle dealers" and go to REI and have them order it for you.

BRILLIANT!
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Bypass all the "local bicycle dealers" and go to REI and have them order it for you.
    A Cannondale? They are not listed as an authorized US dealer, per the 'dale website dealer locater. I'll call, WTH.

I am Walt

Im getting a Cannondale and I'm limited to only three dealers in the valley.
    Why are you getting a Cannondale?

Nothing against C-dale, but if I was buying a new bike, I'd get either a Turner or a Titus. I forget what your requirements are, and don't know your budget, but those would be hard to beat for an all-mountain trail bike.

You could also check out the specials at Super-ho. Not an LBS, but scary deals sometimes.
    Ride more; post less...

BRILLIANT!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Why are you getting a Cannondale?
    I've had two before that have never let me down. Just loyal I guess.

My riding style is probably best described as.. "mild everything"...and the Prophet seems to fit the bill. I wanted an 800, but am going to settle for a 600 and some cash for mods.

mtbr member
    A Cannondale? They are not listed as an authorized US dealer, per the 'dale website dealer locater. I'll call, WTH.
    I think he was joking.

But on a kind of off topic, I noticed REI does now sell Scott. I've heard good things about these bikes. Is this the first time they've been sold in the U.S.?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I think he was joking.

But on a kind of off topic, I noticed REI does now sell Scott. I've heard good things about these bikes. Is this the first time they've been sold in the U.S.?
    Scott USA blew chunks several years ago -- my first FS bike was a Scott Neva, which I promptly cracked three times in a row. Sold the fourth frame the same year Scott USA pulled out of the USA.

Apparently they got their act together. I had a chance to check out a Scott road bike just this weekend, and it's a sweet piece of work. The mags seem to like the new FS design. I'd love to ride one and see if they figured out how to work the welder.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Maybe he's not as filthy rich as you?? We don't all have houses with Sunrise/Lost Dog leading out of our back yard...

DHF'r
    Uh...keep in mind I live in a tract home and ride a Pey-less...not to mention I have 4 kids...who swim, by the way...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cannondales aren't cheap either... Pricewise, they're right up there with the Turner or Titus. I love Cannondales, but their price always has me looking elsewhere. My Liquid set me back only a fraction of what a Prophet (or Turner or Titus frameset) would have. Its not the most precise bike in the world, and its a bit sluggish... but it gets the job done. Its a jack of all trades, master of none.

Its at home flying down Geronimo, and I have no problem doing 3-4 consecutive runs up Shaw Butte on it either... just don't expect to win any races on it.

Maybe he's not as filthy rich as you?? We don't all have houses with Sunrise/Lost Dog leading out of our back yard...

DHF'r
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Scott USA blew chunks several years ago -- my first FS bike was a Scott Neva, which I promptly cracked three times in a row. Sold the fourth frame the same year Scott USA pulled out of the USA.

Apparently they got their act together. I had a chance to check out a Scott road bike just this weekend, and it's a sweet piece of work. The mags seem to like the new FS design. I'd love to ride one and see if they figured out how to work the welder.

p.
    I know they get a lot of press because that Thomas Fingsomething rides (rode?) for them, and they would always make a big deal about how you cannot get them in the states (despite the name being ScottUSA). I was a bit shocked to see them in REI--which by the way, I was not shopping there; I was protesting them using pygmeys to testi their tricycles --with little or no fan fair. I always equated REI with POS when it came to bikes.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I've had two before that have never let me down. Just loyal I guess.

My riding style is probably best described as.. "mild everything"...and the Prophet seems to fit the bill. I wanted an 800, but am going to settle for a 600 and some cash for mods.
    Don't settle. First off, I would seriously look at a Yeti 575. I have heard awesome things about these bikes and have seen people riding them who just rave on and on (eg: dirtbag here). I go to the Slippery Pig, but honestly, I would call Larry at MountainHigh Cyclery. He has the best prices and is good to deal with. I have used him several times for parts/components. Yea, I know, way off your question.

If you are going for the Prophet via an LBS, go to the LBS that is close to you. Sucks to drive all over the place everytime you want to take your bike in.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Competitively, or just for fun? Do they actually go to practice and have swim meets?

DHF'r
    Mondo-competitively...which means lots of practice time and time consuming meets. In fact, they have one in Tucson at the U of A this weekend from Thurs. PM through Sunday evening. I'll be down there Sat. & Sun.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought I heard that somewhere...

BTW, did you see Geoff's muppet avatar? What character IS that?

DHF'r
    Beeker's twin brother, Tubber.

(Sorry Geoff. If it makes you feel better, I once tipped the scale at 250.)

Ouch, I am hot!
    Beeker's twin brother, Tubber.

(Sorry Geoff. If it makes you feel better, I once tipped the scale at 250.)
    Well, as you are a bit taller than me, my 240 at one time is pretty close to that. Unfortunately, it seems I am headed back that way. Not riding enough at all and eating like a freaking pig.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I think I need to Upgrade

If you are set on getting a C-Dale then I would recomend going to Domenics, I have heard good things about Bicycle Ranch but never been there, and I have never heard of Paragon so I can't comment on that shop. Domenics has always treated me well even after saying that I work for SuperGo, so that should say a lot.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Yeah, I thought I heard that somewhere...

BTW, did you see Geoff's muppet avatar? What character IS that?

DHF'r
    It may be funny, but it is not even close to how funny the new and improved polite DHF'r is. Call me fat, make jokes, laugh all you want, but I still got to big marbles dangling between my walkers baby. The new polite DHF'r is making me sick. Next thing you will be handing out flowers.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Well, as you are a bit taller than me, my 240 at one time is pretty close to that. Unfortunately, it seems I am headed back that way. Not riding enough at all and eating like a freaking pig.
    You and me both...and perfect timing, when riding it limited....

Beyond the stars

Just wondering . . .

why so many of you guys ride "single-pivot" bikes, and recommend them? Not to get into some long drawn-out discussion about single pivot vs. FSR (horst link, whatever).

but don't the turner "instant center rocker link" bikes have the same "brake jack" bob and weave pedal (without SPV shocks) as a single pivot design?

BRILLIANT!
    I think he was joking.
    Actually he wasn't. Thanks for the tip Yeitsurli. I went to the PV store, ready to purchase, but it got too complicated. Although I'd bank $160 in my dividend account (REI member), it was going to cost me $73 to get it here, from San Diego, because its "oversize". Then I talked to a tech about set up and he seemed a little turned off by having to assemble a Cannondale because of the whole Lefty issue.

What pisses me off is that the wife is in SD right now helping out on a Girl Scout trip. Still, the logistics are too much of a hassel.

BRILLIANT!
    I thought so too...

The price of the bike was the same, tax rate was not an issue, but REI wanted $12.99 for the trasnfer, and then $60.00 because it was oversize and from another store. I was told that if they could get it from their distribution center then there would be no shipping, but I could not get a exact delivery date.

Beyond the stars

sent it through to the mbco.com address

should be coming through soon

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I think he was joking.

funny you should mention that, a guy is emailing me and asking about DHX setup and the proper spring for his Scott. It has 7" of travel and 2" of shock stroke. That's a leverage ratio of 3.5 to 1, and fox does not do warrenties for leverage ratios that high because it wrecks the shock and puts too much stress on everything. It also requires you to run an insanely high spring rate.

Based on the information this guy is giving me about his bike, scott still doesn't "get it".
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    why so many of you guys ride "single-pivot" bikes, and recommend them? Not to get into some long drawn-out discussion about single pivot vs. FSR (horst link, whatever).

but don't the turner "instant center rocker link" bikes have the same "brake jack" bob and weave pedal (without SPV shocks) as a single pivot design?
    Well, the turner and FSR designs do brake a lot better than single pivot bikes, go to the general discussion area of this website where there's a good discussion on this topic.

Single pivots like cannondales do ok when pared up with SPV shocks, but this does take away some suspension ability and the rear brake on these bikes mades them "stiffen" up and squat under braking, reducing the effectiveness of the suspension dramaticaly.

Generally, the lower the pivot is on the single pivot bike, the more bobbing there will be and the more it relys on a SPV type shock. The higher the pivot is the more chain stretch you have as the bike cycles through travel and the more feedback you will get when trying to pedal through rocky/rough areas.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    I thought so too...

The price of the bike was the same, tax rate was not an issue, but REI wanted $12.99 for the trasnfer, and then $60.00 because it was oversize and from another store. I was told that if they could get it from their distribution center then there would be no shipping, but I could not get a exact delivery date.
    Is there a reason you decided to order from REI versus a local business, other than the dividend? Did you ask one of the LBSes if they could match REI's deal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Well, the turner and FSR designs do brake a lot better than single pivot bikes, go to the general discussion area of this website where there's a good discussion on this topic.

Single pivots like cannondales do ok when pared up with SPV shocks, but this does take away some suspension ability and the rear brake on these bikes mades them "stiffen" up and squat under braking, reducing the effectiveness of the suspension dramaticaly.

Generally, the lower the pivot is on the single pivot bike, the more bobbing there will be and the more it relys on a SPV type shock. The higher the pivot is the more chain stretch you have as the bike cycles through travel and the more feedback you will get when trying to pedal through rocky/rough areas.
    Both of you are a bunch of nerds....I mean this is a good way.

(All that stuff is way over my head. I'm not sure I could tell one good ride from a bad one.)

mtbr member

Slippery Pig

The pig has just become a Cannondale dealer they have a large red prophet in stock, and they have pretty good service as well.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi

sprocket
    I know not why people are against a Company that sells fine equipment, is very helpful, professional, dedicated to local causes and deals only in things that are used in fun activities. Sorry the deal did not work for you. It sounds like if you could wait a little longer for the bike it would be a better deal overall. As far as service from the "shop" at REI, I do not know as I don't have anyone service my bike except myself.

mtbr member
    I know not why people are against a Company that sells fine equipment, is very helpful, professional, dedicated to local causes and deals only in things that are used in fun activities. Sorry the deal did not work for you. It sounds like if you could wait a little longer for the bike it would be a better deal overall. As far as service from the "shop" at REI, I do not know as I don't have anyone service my bike except myself.
    I think part of the reason is their alliance with the Sierra Club, which has (at least in the past, I have to admit, I'm not completely up to date) endorsed policies that are not mountain biking friendly. Also, part of it is I like to see local businesses survive. And while I agree that REI does a lot of good--and I'm admit it, I've shopped there as well as other national chains--I try to spread the wealth. Really, the only time I've purchased any biking related goods at REI is because I needed it fast (they are the closest), another LBS didn't have it, or I was there for some other reason.

(I do have to take issue with "deals only in things that are used in fun activities" comment though. All Terrian skateboarding? Come on .)

sprocket
    I could care less about anti-mountain bike sentiment from the Sierra Club. As long as my pair of Birkinstocks and Subaru can get me to a trail somewhere in the free Country, rules be damned.

mtbr member
    I could care less about anti-mountain bike sentiment from the Sierra Club. As long as my pair of Birkinstocks and Subaru can get me to a trail somewhere in the free Country, rules be damned.
    Leather Birks? Tsk, tsk.

I don't really get into the Hiker-Biker arguement, but I do know that if my trails are taken away from me because of some wacko extremist group, I'm going to be a bit perturbed.

BRILLIANT!
    Domenics ptu their 'Dales at 10% off beginning of the month. I picked one up today!!

Prophet 800...

Lets ride!!!