Local beginner trails..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Local beginner trails..

Hi,

I'm about to get my first bike (getting a Stache 7 on the buy once cry once principle) and I'd like to find some good beginner trails to learn and for exercise. I live in East Mesa, is Blevins a good one or is it a little too easy? What are some other good easy to maybe barely intermediate trails in the area?

Also I'm down from 375 to 290 or so, so still pretty heavy but planning to hit 275 before I buy. I will probably rent one for a day first, what's a good tire pressure for a Stache 7 for someone around 290?

mtbr member
    I'm no expert on the PHX area and how long it may take you to move around the city but Browns Ranch had the easiest trails I've ridden in PHX, followed by McDowell's. What I liked about McDowell's was it had loops of varying length and difficulty so you more or less knew what you were getting yourself into.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Warpaint over at South Mountain is a pretty fun little loop. It’s only like 1.5 miles or so to do a loop and not much elevation change or technical parts. Nice cause you can do multiple loops to bump up your mileage if you want. As you progress you can jump onto Desert Classic to add more mileage and increase the difficulty a bit. Global Bikes does their Saturday morning “Nacho Ride” group ride usually on Warpaint and sometimes Desert Classic. That ride is billed as a beginner friendly ride.

mtbr member
    I can't answer your question, but good job on the weight loss. that's awesome

Guided by Voices
    Usery Mountain Park is great for beginners. Start with Blevins and Moon Rocks then give Cats Peak a try. You can throw in Ruidoso, County Line, and Meridian for some extra miles but they tend to be really sandy in spots. Probably want to avoid Pass Mountain initially due to the climbs and technical aspects.

mtbr member
    Desert trails Park on the N/E corner of Recker and McDowell in Mesa. It has a mile long loop you can ride in either direction. Easy trail. You can also do figure 8's over the mountain if you want to add some climbing. The trail bypasses the jump trails. Unlike usery park it's free. Get the Trailforks app and it will show all the riding trail systems in the area, and it color codes each trail
    Acording to difficulty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Usery is free too, if you know where to park. Shoot you can park at my house and be there in a couple of minutes. I've only ridden it once, but my wife and a bunch of the guys in my neighborhood ride there because it's so approachable.

The Desert Trails bike park is a good call too. The little loop is good, but the skills track and pump track are both a great way to work on bike handling skills, even if you're brand new.

Funny unrelated story. I was at the the park not too long ago on my DJ bike. Couple guys in a nice truck loaded with stickers pulled up. Decked out in full on DH gear from full face helmets, jerseys, shorts, elbow and knee pads etc. Brand new, shiny carbon squishy bikes. Unloaded, geared up. I was doing the first two lines (minus the ramps at the bottom of the second line) and got excited to see someone bomb the advanced line... they peddled off, spent about 20 minutes doing the the mile long loop Bighorn mentioned. Then loaded up and left.

I lol'd.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I agree the trails at Usery are a great place to start riding. I just got back on a bike about a month ago and it was a great place to start. I also rode the fence line trails off of Power Rd. my first week since they are connected to my neighborhood.

After my first two weeks I have began exploring the Hawes area, definitely a lot more challenging than Usery with more climbs and challenging terrain. If I don't feel comfortable in a section, I just get off and hike it. The trails out there are awesome with great views.

When I'm at Usery I usually ride the course they used for The Showdown at Usery Pass, it's about 10.5 miles and takes you all throughout the park, very fun.

http://www.mesabikerace.net/course-map.html

I also agree with getting the trailforks app and also the REI MTB Project app to see what trails are near you and what their difficulty levels are.

Have fun, hope to see you around!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Usery is not "free" $6 per carload, $2 per person walk, or ride in. Sounds like you have some back payments to make!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Usery is not "free" $6 per carload, $2 per person walk, or ride in. Sounds like you have some back payments to make!
    That or I'm misunderstanding what we're talking about. Where are you guys staging and where/who do you pay? Honestly I've never heard of it costing anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey; good on you; and welcome. Biking is a lifetime sport, and mountainbiking is so enjoyable and thrilling; and off the bloody road too!
    Trailforks will advise you about the types of trails at Gold Canyon; just East of you a bit.
    PM me if you'd like a tour, after Dec 5.
    Cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    Fair enough kmj. Mckellips and crimson has a pay box. I call the boxes steel rangers. Or obiously the main entrance has the duty shack for staging at the main horse lot. I don't know where you enter, or where other pay boxes might be. But all users are required to pay according to the web sight. I hate paying as much or more than the next guy, but these are the times we live in. I just didn't want someone to unknowingly be possibly caught without having paid and have to deal with whatever the consequences might be. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Theres good ridin from the top (N) end of Meridian; and it connects with Pass Mtn heading West....and no pay box as it is not County there.
    But the Trails there are Blue; so not exactly what jvr is looking for; though maybe it can help others looking for a free ride.
    TS

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've only been once, like I said, but when I went (and the other guys in my nieghborhood go this way too) I peddle up Meridian, and jog in left right off Meridian, or take Meridian all the way up the turnout and enter their. To my knowledge, there is no pay box at those entrances and I know you can get over to No-so, Cat's Peak, Blevins etc.

I head the other way as there are some more technical trails that aren't on TF, though short and only out and back. I've also used Meridian entrance to do the Pass Mountain loop, but generally avoid the Usery stuff.

Good to know there's pay boxes and an expectation of payment. Never knew that. For me, Hawes is 12 minutes from my door step, Gold Canyon is maybe 20 minutes, and SoMo isn't more than 30ish. I can't complain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The stache is a sweet rig, I sneak my wifes out on occasion.

Buy yourself a floor pump and a good pressure gauge. Bike tires purge air over a few days and plus tires have a small window where they feel great. If you are running tubeless(which you should as plus tires don't make much since unless they are tubeless) I would start at 20psi and let some air out on your ride until you like how it feels. After a few rides when it feels right, use your pressure gauge to see what pressure your at and then run that pressure. I bet 15-20 psi would feel good to you. I run 10psi but am 165lbs.