Local Advice Camping with a trailer in Sedona- Mtbr.com
    keepin' it rural

Local Advice Camping with a trailer in Sedona

Hello Sedona Locals,

We are planning on heading to Sedona over Easter weekend from Vegas (4/13 - 4/16) We are rolling down in our small 14ft travel trailer, and when planning the dates we didn't realize it was Easter weekend until we started looking for RV sites as they all seemed to all be booked.

We started looking at some dispersed camping options where we could boondock and found these spots.
    https://freecampsites.net/#!Sedona,+AZ,+United+States

My questions are:

1) Are there any RV camps with hookups that are maybe outside of Sedona that aren't to far from the riding? We have another couple that are throwing down a tent and for whatever reason we are finding that some of the RV camps don't allow tents, which has cut down on our options.

2) As far as the dispersed sites in the link are they trailer friendly and is it generally safe to leave my trailer out there?

3) Is Easter weekend usually crazy busy on the trails, and should we just pick another weekend since we are fairly close in Vegas and can come down another weekend fairly easily?

This is our first trip to Sedona to ride so I am unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks for any info!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Hello Sedona Locals,

We are planning on heading to Sedona over Easter weekend from Vegas (4/13 - 4/16) We are rolling down in our small 14ft travel trailer, and when planning the dates we didn't realize it was Easter weekend until we started looking for RV sites as they all seemed to all be booked.

We started looking at some dispersed camping options where we could boondock and found these spots.
    https://freecampsites.net/#!Sedona,+AZ,+United+States

My questions are:

1) Are there any RV camps with hookups that are maybe outside of Sedona that aren't to far from the riding? We have another couple that are throwing down a tent and for whatever reason we are finding that some of the RV camps don't allow tents, which has cut down on our options.

2) As far as the dispersed sites in the link are they trailer friendly and is it generally safe to leave my trailer out there?

3) Is Easter weekend usually crazy busy on the trails, and should we just pick another weekend since we are fairly close in Vegas and can come down another weekend fairly easily?

This is our first trip to Sedona to ride so I am unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks for any info!
    Did you try Lolo Mai resort, between Sedona and Cottonwood? That's where I typically make my basecamp when I'm using my PUP in Sedona.

And yes Easter will be crazy busy there. Most normal weekends are these days, holidays so much worse in my experience.

I have never dispersed camped there with my PUP, so I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    if all else fails, try cottonwood... its really not that far... seriously... and its much cheaper

there is also unlimited places to disperse camp West of Sedona along 89A... I know you really want to be in Sedona.. but I wouldn't skip Sedona just because I had to drive a little bit... The riding on the west side is the best anyway

to answer your questions.

You will be safe leaving your trailer alone. Sedona is really only ever crowded around the trailheads and Sedona is always busy anytime in the spring -- more so during spring break times.

Just another half mile...
    Lots of dispersed camping along FR 525 west of town. I have had no issues leaving camping gear at the camp sites. Depending on where you camp. it is in riding distance of the Arie trail head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Lots of dispersed camping along FR 525 west of town. I have had no issues leaving camping gear at the camp sites. Depending on where you camp. it is in riding distance of the Arie trail head.
    I agree... looking at satellite maps, it appears there are a lot of spots just west of 525 near it's intersection with Boynon Canyon road (152C)

Meatbomb
    I hope you like grid lock....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would recommend dead horse state park just outside of Sedona. It has rv spots with full hookups and it has a designated tent only area and there is a great mtb trail right there at the campground and Sedona is 20 min away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^best advise yet. 525 can get sketch if you're not packin', or on LSD.....based on personal experience....DurtGurl knows what's up.

The .05 percent
    I hereby welcome you to enjoy the hospitality of Traildocs driveway. I'm sure he will be glad to offer a world class user experience and maybe a sauna.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here is a video I put together of the trail at dead horse state park in cottonwood which is just outside of Sedona. There is a trail you can ride from Sedona right to the campground and this figure 8 loop we rode at the campground ends with the trail from sedona. It's called lime kiln trail.

Check it out.

https://youtu.be/d6D2ta833hY

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Here is a video I put together of the trail at dead horse state park in cottonwood which is just outside of Sedona. There is a trail you can ride from Sedona right to the campground and this figure 8 loop we rode at the campground ends with the trail from sedona. It's called lime kiln trail.

Check it out.

https://youtu.be/d6D2ta833hY

Heading up to cottonwood on Saturday, to ride those same trails. Is yours the loop posted over on Pink Bike??

We're staying at the Rio Verde RV resort. Hopefully it's not a major sh*t hole!!

To the guy trying to stay in Sedona, good luck!! you'll have a way better chance at getting something outside of town. We've still got snowbirds here, and they literally clog up every campground in the state.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Did you try Lolo Mai resort, between Sedona and Cottonwood? That's where I typically make my basecamp when I'm using my PUP in Sedona.

And yes Easter will be crazy busy there. Most normal weekends are these days, holidays so much worse in my experience.

I have never dispersed camped there with my PUP, so I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Had no idea you had an RV. I was wondering about that LoLo Mai place, thanks for letting me know it was cool to stay at!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    Heading up to cottonwood on Saturday, to ride those same trails. Is yours the loop posted over on Pink Bike??

We're staying at the Rio Verde RV resort. Hopefully it's not a major sh*t hole!!

To the guy trying to stay in Sedona, good luck!! you'll have a way better chance at getting something outside of town. We've still got snowbirds here, and they literally clog up every campground in the state.
    Here is the ride we did. Such a blast

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3611120

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Here is the ride we did. Such a blast

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3611120

Thanks!! Looking forward to checking the place out!!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    Had no idea you had an RV. I was wondering about that LoLo Mai place, thanks for letting me know it was cool to stay at!!
    Hey Kevin, yes we got a pop up about a year and a half ago. I love it when we use it, I just don't use it enough!! Good to hear from you.

Eric

MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

keepin' it rural
    Thanks for the replies guys. might have a spot at the Lo Lo Mai place since I have such a small travel trailer, waiting to hear back...If it's gonna be a junk show, may just head to Gooseberry instead. Want to get to Sedona soon though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I hope you like grid lock....
    i agree... however it depends on what time of day they approach Sedona or if they go through cottonwood to get there... going through cottonwood, however would mean taking that climb to Jerome... so maybe that is not an option... taking 179 at peak times is awful on busy weekends... good point Phillbo

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Hey Kevin, yes we got a pop up about a year and a half ago. I love it when we use it, I just don't use it enough!! Good to hear from you.

Eric

Get to using it!! We just got our trailer, and can't wait to get outta here in the summer!!

mtbr member
    Just bought a PUP ourselves and want to come up to Sedona/Flag/Payson a lot this summer. Do some MTB hopefully, but mostly camp a couple days in some dispersed areas. Thx earlier for the tip about 525, I don't what to expect at any dispersed type sites. But it does make me want to bring "something" just in case.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crushinit View Post
    Just bought a PUP ourselves and want to come up to Sedona/Flag/Payson a lot this summer. Do some MTB hopefully, but mostly camp a couple days in some dispersed areas. Thx earlier for the tip about 525, I don't what to expect at any dispersed type sites. But it does make me want to bring "something" just in case.
    YES! You should always bring some weed when camping!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    We have an RV as well which we just got last year in July. Look forward to some trips this summer up in the high country to ride and camp. Anyone have an AZ RV camp thread going on? Its always nice to camp with new folks and ride some trails.