A little pre-vacation T100 fun- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

A little pre-vacation T100 fun

I'm currently in Kauai on vacation for the next 5 days...where it's pretty hard to be stressed out. And to get my mind in the mood for the trip (ya know...shake out all of that pent up anger from work and life), I took a mellow "go wherever you feel like" T100/PMP spin on Rita on a chilly Wednesday morning before leaving for the airport. It was only 35 degrees but it was the perfect way to start some time off work.

My bike took me to a lot of very fun spots and I had to snap a few photos. PMP can truly be a magical place.

1) Here I was cruising along on a high overlook on the 1A just parallel to the 51 freeway at 8:30AM...and right below me was a dead-stop traffic jam. I thought to myself "here I am having fun on my bike when all of those people down there are probably stressed out and pissed off in traffic"...so I had to snap a picture to show the dichotomy between the two scenes.

2) My wandering took me up and over the Irregular Link trail, which was redone sometime last year. I forgot how awesome that trail is...a super fun climb with amazing vistas...and just as much fun coming back down. Gotta get up there again soon...

3) After cresting Irregular Link you drop into the 302, which has more incredible scenery, especially this section where you are sandwiched between some tall craggy hills. Not far from this is the top of "Hairball"...a pretty gnarly section of trail. I gotta get up there again soon too...

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That's funny Doug, this is the exact route I took last Sunday. I'm a huge fam of the irregular link section. great ride.

mtbr member
    Kauai! There are some fun trails there, if it is not raining too much. Kapaa has some nice trails right on the beach north of town. And up in the hills from there, where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed, is a bunch of really fun stuff. Totally opposite of your hometown riding, which ironically I have never ridden, at least where your photos show.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Kauai! There are some fun trails there, if it is not raining too much. Kapaa has some nice trails right on the beach north of town. And up in the hills from there, where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed, is a bunch of really fun stuff. Totally opposite of your hometown riding, which ironically I have never ridden, at least where your photos show.
    Na Pali Coast, and further down (or up) is barking sands beach, just after the military base. Man I love Kauai. There's some real good cliff jumping around the water falls there, Hanalei (of Puff the Magic Dragon fame). The helicopter we took out was one of the most scenic/beautiful times I've ever had. Oh yea that and the surfing and diving.

Im jealous.

edit//

Im pretty sure it's the "Lost Coast Trail" or the "Na Pali Coast Trail" which is a rather famous trail that can take hours or days depending on how you take it. Supposed to be unreal.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Did you ride down the 302 (where it connects with VOAZ and ultimately the conjunction of 8 and 1A)? If I remember correctly there's some super-sketchy stuff in there.
    d

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was hiking this section last weekend (Sat and Sun AM, T100 to 1A to 302 to 1A) breaking in boots for a Grand Canyon trip and a couple guys caught up to me just past "Hairball" on Sun, one of them was riding a nice blue 29er El Mariachi. Was that anyone here?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Na Pali Coast, and further down (or up) is barking sands beach, just after the military base. Man I love Kauai. There's some real good cliff jumping around the water falls there, Hanalei (of Puff the Magic Dragon fame). The helicopter we took out was one of the most scenic/beautiful times I've ever had. Oh yea that and the surfing and diving.

Im jealous.

edit//

Im pretty sure it's the "Lost Coast Trail" or the "Na Pali Coast Trail" which is a rather famous trail that can take hours or days depending on how you take it. Supposed to be unreal.
    Kalalau Trail - my wife and I did it in '03, 11 miles of constant climbing and descendning with wind, rocks and mud. we needed to get permits for camping a year ahead of time. Its one of our best memories ever. We did no riding but tons of hiking. I saw one guy with a nice bike, and it was crusted in red dirt - I imagine maintenance must be a constant struggle in those conditions.

The pic here was taken on a trail in Koke'e State Park overlooking Nu'alolo Valley. A few months later I was riding with a guy from Kauai who said he and his buds rode that trail!!!!

Hope you're having fun Doug! Looking forward to some pics.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Occidental Tourist
    I do love me some Irregular Link.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    It's a better ride at night

mtbr member

Nu'alolo!

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Kalalau Trail - my wife and I did it in '03, 11 miles of constant climbing and descendning with wind, rocks and mud. we needed to get permits for camping a year ahead of time. Its one of our best memories ever. We did no riding but tons of hiking. I saw one guy with a nice bike, and it was crusted in red dirt - I imagine maintenance must be a constant struggle in those conditions.

The pic here was taken on a trail in Koke'e State Park overlooking Nu'alolo Valley. A few months later I was riding with a guy from Kauai who said he and his buds rode that trail!!!!

That is one great trail. Seems that we do that hike each time we visit. Your photo is about in the same spot I took this photo. That place has some powerful mana. Second shot is out at Anini beach. Man, I'm wanting to go somewhere like this RIGHT NOW. I'm done with living in melting snow and mud.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

livin' the dream......
    I think I see me sitting in that traffic on the 51.......I do not like that section of freeway when traffic slows south of the curve. You are a sitting duck for those coming around the curve that don't know traffic is stopped ahead.

I've ridden by Irregular link, looks like it is worth checking out next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Did you ride down the 302 (where it connects with VOAZ and ultimately the conjunction of 8 and 1A)? If I remember correctly there's some super-sketchy stuff in there.
    d
    No...I didn't go that way.

That downhill section you are referring to is endearingly called "Cheesegrater". And yes, it's sketchy as a mofo...hence the well-earned name.

That hill has claimed many on MTBR.

Thx...Doug

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Not much pics to speak of yet. We spent our first 2 days underwater checking out the scuba scene and unfortunately I don't have an underwater housing for my camera. The diving in Kauai is definitely not as good as my favorite spots in the Carribbean...but we still had some great wildlife encounters (including 5 manta rays!).

We have a helicopter tour scheduled for tomorrow. I wanted to do some more hiking while here, but with a 5yr old kid in tow, that pretty much ruled that out.

Anyway, here's how I spent most of today exploring the North Shore. I'll have more to show later (hopefully).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjcrawlr
    I was hiking this section last weekend (Sat and Sun AM, T100 to 1A to 302 to 1A) breaking in boots for a Grand Canyon trip and a couple guys caught up to me just past "Hairball" on Sun, one of them was riding a nice blue 29er El Mariachi. Was that anyone here?
    Ha! that was me.

Just another half mile...
    Trivia question to the T100 regulars :

Where did the name "Irregular Link" come from?

Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    I do love me some Irregular Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Trivia question to the T100 regulars :

Where did the name "Irregular Link" come from?
    Ok Dale...I call Uncle. What's the answer?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    The diving in Kauai is definitely not as good as my favorite spots in the Carribbean...but we still had some great wildlife encounters (including 5 manta rays!).

How's the viz?

In the rear with the beer
    You are living the dream!

Where does irregular link start out? I think i've ridden it, but not sure. If I haven't, i''m gonna hit it this weekend (if I can fix my derailluer)
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You can pick it up on the 1A. It's right there if you get on the 1A on the N. side where it connects to T100 via the mellow switchback climb.
    d

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    You can pick it up on the 1A. It's right there if you get on the 1A on the N. side where it connects to T100 via the mellow switchback climb.
    d
    I rode this for the first time yesterday. . . came up from the switchbacks and hooked a right onto it, fun little section. I hit the intersection where Irr. Link continues up, and there's the offshoot that takes you back down to the 100 that leads in the DD parking lot. That offshoot is pretty damn fun, loose as shite towards the bottom though.

If you follow that intersection up and continue on Irr. Link does it take you to the Cheesegrater or Hairball, not sure which one? I hiked it last weekend and saw a schweet steep, rocky rutted chute of a trail that was calling for me to bleed on. . .

Just another half mile...
    Named for the group of volunteers, The Irregulars, who help built most of the trail. Same as the VOAZ trail was named after the Volunteers of Outdoor Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Ok Dale...I call Uncle. What's the answer?

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I rode this for the first time yesterday. . . came up from the switchbacks and hooked a right onto it, fun little section. I hit the intersection where Irr. Link continues up, and there's the offshoot that takes you back down to the 100 that leads in the DD parking lot. That offshoot is pretty damn fun, loose as shite towards the bottom though.

If you follow that intersection up and continue on Irr. Link does it take you to the Cheesegrater or Hairball, not sure which one? I hiked it last weekend and saw a schweet steep, rocky rutted chute of a trail that was calling for me to bleed on. . .
    Yeah, the short little offshoot is cool and sketchy where it hooks back with 100. You can also pick up the 220 section a little north of that area.

The backside of Irregular, when you get to the top, is the 302. It's extraordinarily sketchy and links back with both 8 and 1A at the bottom.
    d

mtbr member
    does anyone have a gps (tcx garmin?) file of the irregular trail?
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

Shred...it's the new drug

Didn't Dr. say "NO" crashing??? I'm getting mixed signals here... Or you just playing gimp on me?

Members who have read this thread: 0