Break it, Fix it, Ride it

A little Los Burros

Made it up to Los Burros last weekend for a maiden voyage and I must say that is one hell of a trail. Now my current favorite in the state. The scenery was inspiring, the weather perfect, the effort admirable, and the downs flowy. A deer even jumped in front of me while hitting the wide downhil on the east section and we hit the trail together for about 100 yds at 20 mph. I was soon eating its dust as it left the trail still sprinting into the woods. What a perfect time for a camera. Too bad I didn't have one!

Must have seen 100 head of cattle the whole ride. They seemed to be everywhere the first 8 miles or so. The whole 15 miles took me almost three hours but I was stopping quite a bit to gawk and take pics. Could easily be done in 2 hours by someone with strong lungs. It was high at 8000+ feet but I did better than expected. Only meager heaving for breaths. I highly recommend making the 3 hour drive to try it out once if you haven't been there. Not technical at all and no serious climbs, its just a good day on the bike. Those of you doing the 65 mile ToWM get to take part of this trail on. Lucky you.

Here're some pics for your viewing enjoyment.

That sweet ribbon of dirt.

From 081609_Cabin_Los Burros_Show Low

The dancing shadows in the gently blowing grass was mesmerizing to me.

Where's the beef?

Follow these and you can't get lost.

It gets really super lush up there.

Can it get much better?

Parked a the Los Burros campground rode into the loop. Went CCW which gets you some super flowy downhill on the right side of the map coming around that mountain. I was smiling the rest of the day. Probably my best 15 miles all year so far.

Last edited by Dag Nabbit; 08-23-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Ahhh the pain....
    Really great pics...jeez... Never heard of the trail... can you direct me to some info on it ? Would like to do it next weekend...
    thx,
    R

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    Really great pics...jeez... Never heard of the trail... can you direct me to some info on it ? Would like to do it next weekend...
    thx,
    R
    Sure. Here's the link to the trail through TRACKS, the trail organization up there.

http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.o...urrosTrail.htm

From their homepage you can check out the whole White Mountain system. If you stop at any ranger station up there they sell you a booklet of maps too. Just not open on the weekend. Thats a long drive for no booklet...

http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org/
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This makes me nostalgic, as it reminds me of the Black Hills in South Dakota. Don't get me wrong, I love it here in Phoenix. I'm just tired of all the fricking rocks on SoMo. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.

mtbr member
    Is the entire trail open now? A coiple of weeks ago parts were closed because of fire.

mtbr member
    I was just up there about two weeks ago and most of the trail was closed due to fire damage issues (trail itself is fine but the surrounding area was burned).

I was kinda bummed because I keep hearing great things about it and still haven't had a chance to ride it!

I ended up riding Panorama at night and a bunch of the 'secret' trails the rest of the weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0