The .05 percent

Little bear survive this week's monsoons?

Anybody been on it?
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Anybody been on it?
    I haven't heard any reports except that there are some trees down. Interestingly the nearest rain sensor (which is very to the bottom part of the trail) shows the max precip on 7/17 as 0.59". Just shows how spotty the storms are with just a few miles to the north getting 6" during one storm. They're now calling that a 1000 yr event.

mtbr member
    I climbed little bear last Saturday and there were 3 or so downed trees. I plan to climb it again on Saturday. Along with about every climb I can find.... Saturday is going to hurt
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I climbed little bear last Saturday and there were 3 or so downed trees. I plan to climb it again on Saturday. Along with about every climb I can find.... Saturday is going to hurt
    Joe, good running into you today. You were not in jest. I'll be interested in how many vertical feet you amassed! And any other downed trees to report.

Ahhh the pain....
    Rode up Little Bear this morning... was the same as last weekend which was good... there are 3 downed trees on it.
    Lower Dog Food...F*cked.
    Twisted Sister...kinda F*cked...but not bad.
    Weatherford...good
    Upper Brookbank...good.
    The connector from where little bear intersects up to Brookbank....awesome! The work you guys did held really well.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, three trees down on Little Bear. Little janky from last year, but just needs some riding.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    From the sound of it there are three downed trees on little bear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Joe, good running into you today. You were not in jest. I'll be interested in how many vertical feet you amassed! And any other downed trees to report.
    Only downed trees were the ones we talked about. 3 on Little Bear and one on Sunset. Plus the two on Azt down from Aspen Corner.

Saturday I got in 61 miles 8000 feet of climbing.

Oh and for those that wondered Little bear was fine other than the downed trees. Sunset was perfect except for the 1 tree down.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Rode up Little Bear this morning... was the same as last weekend which was good... there are 3 downed trees on it.
    Lower Dog Food...F*cked.
    Twisted Sister...kinda F*cked...but not bad.
    Weatherford...good
    Upper Brookbank...good.
    The connector from where little bear intersects up to Brookbank....awesome! The work you guys did held really well.
    Tell me more about Dog Food? Was going to ride it w the kids this week.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Tell me more about Dog Food? Was going to ride it w the kids this week.
    Generally that's the most direct climbing route on that side of Schulz Pass Rd. but monsoons have hit it hard. It's rocky enough atm that Moto is probably an easier climb. Not that either is really that difficult. If descending then Moto to Easter Island.

mtbr member
    It doesn't take long to fill out and really helps expedite getting downed trees off the trails. Pictures and location help! http://flagstaffbiking.org/mountain/...il-conditions/

parenting for gnarness
    Trying to get the 9yo up the hill to take Schultz down. That is a decent sustained climb for her, might take her up Schultz instead to at least enjoy the shade.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the tress on AZT from Snowbowl to 418 this afternoon, and Little Bear/Sunset tomorrow.

That link rockman posted goes straight to me and my chainsaw equipped KTM 250.

MTBR photo upload sucks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little bear survive this week's monsoons?-img_0380.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's some Mad Max baddassery sh$t right there! Thanks Chainslap for your work!

mtbr member
    Chainslap always answers the courtesy phone!
    Name:  KTM.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  124.2 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That's some Mad Max baddassery sh$t right there! Thanks Chainslap for your work!
    Hikers don't give me the stink eye for very long when they see what's hanging off the front...that mount works awesome and is a trick machined piece. Paid for by AZ OHV decal funds! Thank the program for allowing me to do this.

Thanks rockman for your technical prowess with the photo flip!

Meatbomb
    I bet thats a tricky ride with all that weight on the bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I bet thats a tricky ride with all that weight on the bars.
    It takes a few minutes to get used to but isn't bad. Not running AA pace with it up there though, that's for sure. Biggest downside is how far it sticks up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Hikers don't give me the stink eye for very long when they see what's hanging off the front...
    I wouldn't either. You could really take Stand Your Ground to a whole new level with that thing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there any way you might be interested in being a manager on the Trail Faeries FB page as a CTR rep so you can post updates for this work Chainslap? I think we need to show people what you guys are doing for the overall community.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the tress on AZT from Snowbowl to 418 this afternoon, and Little Bear/Sunset tomorrow.

That link rockman posted goes straight to me and my chainsaw equipped KTM 250.

MTBR photo upload sucks...
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to -Chainslap- again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Is there any way you might be interested in being a manager on the Trail Faeries FB page as a CTR rep so you can post updates for this work Chainslap? I think we need to show people what you guys are doing for the overall community.
    Sure!

AZT is clear from Snowbowl Rd to 418. Cleared/trimmed about nine trees.

Also ran into a guy who was spending A LOT of time stacking up logs and sticks on either side of big logs, which means we have to spend a lot of time tossing them out before we can even cut a tree. I like some technical log features, but these are always janky and just rot out. Had a good chat with him and directed him to the FBO site to report trees.

Someone please tell me how to rotate these pics, I swear I'm not 90!

Little bear survive this week's monsoons?-img_1416.jpg

mtbr member
    Dude!

Name:  logs.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  110.3 KB

The .05 percent
    So ghetto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So ghetto.

parenting for gnarness
    pardon my ignorance, I only stack rocks, but what should be done there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Leave it and use the link above to call it in so it can be removed.
    It's time to leave 1997 back in 1997.

mtbr member
    If you're in Flagstaff, report it so it can get cut here: http://flagstaffbiking.org/mountain/...il-conditions/

Anywhere else, report to the land manager or better yet, bring a handsaw and cut it out. The time spent gathering firewood materials to stack up on either side could be used just to get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Sure!

AZT is clear from Snowbowl Rd to 418. Cleared/trimmed about nine trees.

Also ran into a guy who was spending A LOT of time stacking up logs and sticks on either side of big logs, which means we have to spend a lot of time tossing them out before we can even cut a tree. I like some technical log features, but these are always janky and just rot out.
    Thanks for doing that. And I agree on the log rolls. I saw one between Aspen Corner and SB road on AZT and just walked it. I never trust those things to be well designed that they won't roll out from under me. Best to just carry the bike over them or cut the tree if you have tools.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Thanks for doing that. And I agree on the log rolls. I saw one between Aspen Corner and SB road on AZT and just walked it. I never trust those things to be well designed that they won't roll out from under me. Best to just carry the bike over them or cut the tree if you have tools.
    You're welcome! I enjoy it and it's considered part of my job now so win-win!

Little Bear and Sunset are clear as of this afternoon! Cut one out on Sunset, and three on Little Bear. Little Bear needs ridden!

mtbr member

Little Bear and Sunset are clear as of this afternoon! Cut one out on Sunset, and three on Little Bear. Little Bear needs ridden!
    Thanks Chainslap! Little Bear also needs the handlebar high thistle eradicated before they go to seed. Feel free folks to stop and pull those annoying invasives out of the ground. Kill!

parenting for gnarness
    If you're in Flagstaff, report it so it can get cut here: http://flagstaffbiking.org/mountain/...il-conditions/

Anywhere else, report to the land manager or better yet, bring a handsaw and cut it out. The time spent gathering firewood materials to stack up on either side could be used just to get rid of it.
    Is it a land management issue, or a sloppy-work issue? I love the log rolls when I ride up there. Trying to understand.

mtbr member
    Is it a land management issue, or a sloppy-work issue? I love the log rolls when I ride up there. Trying to understand.
    Yes, janky log rolls on multi-use system trails are not in the USFS handbook. Non-system trails on the other hand are a different deal which is why they usually stick. At least in this neck of the woods. Or, until a trail gnome takes it upon themselves to cut it out. For example, Jedi. On that note why anyone would cut a go around right next to the sweet wooden ramp structure on M. Oldham is beyond me. WTF?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes, janky log rolls on multi-use system trails are not in the USFS handbook. Non-system trails on the other hand are a different deal which is why they usually stick. At least in this neck of the woods. Or, until a trail gnome takes it upon themselves to cut it out. For example, Jedi. On that note why anyone would cut a go around right next to the sweet wooden ramp structure on M. Oldham is beyond me. WTF?
    Itís not that hard to build a well constructed log roll if you are familiar with the process and have lots of experience at it. There were lots of downed trees in the Soquel Demo Forest and the maintainence crew was real lame in getting logs cleared, so a few dedicated trail builders would go in and make the downed trees into awesome log rolls.

The Burrito Log roll with a 4í drop off the end lasted for many years and provided lots of fun and challenge for tons of enthusiastic riders.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Itís not that hard to build a well constructed log roll if you are familiar with the process and have lots of experience at it. There were lots of downed trees in the Soquel Demo Forest and the maintainence crew was real lame in getting logs cleared, so a few dedicated trail builders would go in and make the downed trees into awesome log rolls.

The Burrito Log roll with a 4í drop off the end lasted for many years and provided lots of fun and challenge for tons of enthusiastic riders.
    So ghetto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So ghetto.
    Speed bumps

The .05 percent
    Gotta keep the boomers speed in check. There get in old. Next thing we know switch will be making world class sedona climbs mobility scooter friendly.

mtbr member
    Someone please tell me how to rotate these pics, I swear I'm not 90!
    If you right click on the image file (jpeg) there will be an option to rotate the image. At least in windows. You can right click on your desktop or in File Explorer
    Little bear survive this week's monsoons?-rotate.jpg

mtbr member
    Gotta keep the boomers speed in check. There get in old. Next thing we know switch will be making world class sedona climbs mobility scooter friendly.
    E-bikes will soon be mandatory equipment to ride in Sedona.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    E-bikes will soon be mandatory equipment to ride in Sedona.

Little bear survive this week's monsoons?-wooiu.jpg
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    If you right click on the image file (jpeg) there will be an option to rotate the image. At least in windows. You can right click on your desktop or in File Explorer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotate.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	1209734
    They are correct in my file explorer. Just when I upload them to MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So ghetto.
    Sin we both know there are mainly two types of trail improvements. I personally like to do improvements that are well constructed and will be enjoyed by at least 80% of the riders riding a particular trail.

For example letís say an 18Ē diameter tree drops across a trail and totally blocks 99% of the riders riding a particular trail. I would be motivated to make that obstacle once again rideable.

Taking initiative is somewhat a lost trait these days with millennials, donít you agree?

My other ride is your mom

I did my part today...rolled a few of the baby-head chunder littering the trail off....but yea, it needs ridden by a lot more folks...it's gone feral.

The .05 percent
    Sin we both know there are mainly two types of trail improvements. I personally like to do improvements that are well constructed and will be enjoyed by at least 80% of the riders riding a particular trail.

For example letís say an 18Ē diameter tree drops across a trail and totally blocks 99% of the riders riding a particular trail. I would be motivated to make that obstacle once again rideable.

Taking initiative is somewhat a lost trait these days with millennials, donít you agree?
    Ya, maybe. However I own a chainsaw and enjoy using it. Making an obstacle such as a downed tree is bushleague. Most people try to accomplish this via rock/branch stacking, hence my ghetto comment. Take the time, do it right. Cut out the obstacle, return the trail to its original luster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ya, maybe. However I own a chainsaw and enjoy using it. Making an obstacle such as a downed tree is bushleague. Most people try to accomplish this via rock/branch stacking, hence my ghetto comment. Take the time, do it right. Cut out the obstacle, return the trail to its original luster.
    I don't disagree the problem is response time. In my 25 years of trail maintenance I haven't always seen a quick response to tree clearing. so I assume the worst and make the fallen tree into a trail improvement. If and when you and Chainslap come out and cut out the fallen tree trail improvement which is fun to ride for myself and riders of similar or greater skill level than me, that's OK with me.

A good example is a trail in Sedona that I rode the other day. A big tree fell onto the original alignment. Shortly after the tree fell down and TOTALLY blocked the trail, a good Samaritan came by and he or she decided that the trail needed a partial route change. The tree had fallen on a slope and rather than creating a log roll the Samaritan removed the top ten feet of the tree and re-routed the trail on the dirt up and over where the top of the dead tree had laid on the ground. that re-route STILL EXISTS.

Whenever I ride the trails it reminds me of the many improvements that have been made to all the many different trails. I assume there is a sense of accomplishment by those Samaritans who took initiative and did those individual projects for themselves and their fellow appreciative riders.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    I don't disagree the problem is response time. In my 25 years of trail maintenance I haven't always seen a quick response to tree clearing. so I assume the worst and make the fallen tree into a trail improvement. If and when you and Chainslap come out and cut out the fallen tree the trail the improvement is fun to ride for myself and riders of similar or greater skill level than me.

A good example is a trail in Sedona that I rode the other day. A big tree fell onto the original alignment. Shortly after the tree fell down and TOTALLY blocked the trail, a good Samaritan came by and he or she decided that the trail needed a partial route change. The tree had fallen on a slope and rather than creating a log roll the Samaritan removed the top ten feet of the tree and re-routed the trail on the dirt up and over where the top of the dead tree had laid on the ground. that re-route STILL EXISTS.

Whenever I ride the trails it reminds me of the many improvements that have been made to all the many different trails. I assume there is a sense of accomplishment by those Samaritans who took initiative and did those individual projects for themselves and their fellow appreciative riders.

That's some pretty twisted logic you have going on there. "Initiative" would be clearing the blockage without making an unauthorized re-route.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

And it's often a speed bump that forces riders to grab a sh$t ton of brake right before the obstacle blowing out the trail. It just blows. Maybe if it's a slow tech type trail it wouldn't totally suck but other than that......no thanks.

Lets please leave 1997 in 1997.