Like rattlesnakes aren't enough...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Like rattlesnakes aren't enough...

Anyone catch this article? I think I prefer a rattlesnake encounter.

Hiker dies from bee stings
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Good reason to be on a bike than on foot. When they start bouncing off your head, turn on the jets and ride away. You can even look back and see them chasing you. They only fly about 15 MPH. On foot... you better be Usain Bolt.

proceed with caution
    Holy Crap! that's crazy and sad. I know exactly where that hive is and have had incidents with it in the past, but nothing like that.

africanized killer bees are legit.

My other ride is your mom
    Careful people....you can't even $hit in peace:

Toilet trouble: Six people injured and one dead after falling off faulty raised toilet seats | Daily Mail Online

Let's just all huddle in our basements and listen to the Good Ole Time Gospel hour until this is all over!!!

mtbr member
    Bees and I have an understanding.. I save them from the pool, they leave me alone.
    2018 Giant Trance 2
    2018 Giant Fathom 1

mtbr member
    very tragic ... and hopefully very rare... I take my daughter hiking and if this ever happened to her I would be devastated..

almost seems like snakes are much less of a threat than this...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    very tragic ... and hopefully very rare... I take my daughter hiking and if this ever happened to her I would be devastated..

Word Rajun. I've had a talk with my girls about this and what to do if they are attacked. i.e. run their little butts off for as long as possible unless they are close to an indoor shelter that they can immediately get into.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    Bees and I have an understanding.. I save them from the pool, they leave me alone.
    I had a similar relationship (or so I believed) with black widow spiders until last summer when I was bit twice by one after throwing a t shirt on that was in a bin on my closet floor. Now they all DIE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Word Rajun. I've had a talk with my girls about this and what to do if they are attacked. i.e. run their little butts off for as long as possible unless they are close to an indoor shelter that they can immediately get into.
    I've read (can't remember where, maybe a hiking blog about the AZT) that they usually won't chase more than a quarter mile or so from their hive...so yeah, run the fastest 400m you can and hope the angry fockers stop chasing you. Easier said than done on steep rocky terrain though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post

They are. Snakes don't want any...they try to get away and bite as a last resort. AHB are evil. They will attack for no good reason...just getting too close even not being a threat...and you'll be covered in seconds by bees that have a blood thirst. And by too close...that's easily far enough away that you won't even know there's a hive there until it's too late.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

MEGALOMANIAC
    I've had bees chasing me on my bike. They get in tight behind you and draft. I've also had several over the years go down my jersey and sting me and I have had a few get stuck in my helmet through the vent grooves, but not stung. I guess my hair saved me? I ride in a known flight path of bees with bee farmer hives lined up just a few yards away from the trail. Sometimes I am ducking as I see them coming at me.

Being on a bike isn't any safer, IME.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I agree that a bike is not really any safer. I've heard that typically bees will go for the highest part of the thing they are attacking.

Makes me want to look into some type of bee repellant spray that can be used like a bear mace. If you see the bees coming, whip out the spray and either coat yourself with it, or spray it at the bees.

I would prefer a rattlesnake anyday. They are stubborn and will leave you alone if you do the same. Also, they let you know when you are too close.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Meatbomb
    Damn.. I could not even read that article without my EpiPen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    I agree that a bike is not really any safer. I've heard that typically bees will go for the highest part of the thing they are attacking..
    Yeah I guess eyes and other parts of the face. Youre suppose to cover your face with special netting and run like a mother. I'm pretty sure I don't have that type of netting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

Rent this space for $
    WOW! This sucks! I just picked up a road bike habit. I did 40 on Wednesday and I ride through mostly ag and vineyard lands. About a third of the way into my ride doing about 19-20 mph on a stretch, I started getting pelted by something that I wasn't really noticing in front of me. I quickly realized it was bees as I started to see some out in front. They were bouncing off my helmet, my shoulders, my arms. I was wearing roady kit with arm warmers and some were getting stuck but I didn't look at them, I just kept pedalling just waiting for the stings to begin. This lasted maybe a 1/4 mile before it subsided. I don't know if it was a swarm or what, I didn't notice any bee boxes near the fields but I wasn't hanging around to check. I was letting my mind run after it was over thinking about stings or multiple stings and what might happen. My experience...and now this, makes me wonder.

mtbr member
    I had a damn bee go in my mouth and sting my tongue going down Javelina back to my car once at SOMO. Hurt like hell. Tongue was all swollen, and the stinger and abdomen was still on my tongue since I bit the rest off. Silver lining, best time down that trail ever. Too bad I couldn't scream "STRAVA" coherently as I went down.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I had a damn bee go in my mouth and sting my tongue going down Javelina back to my car once at SOMO. Hurt like hell. Tongue was all swollen, and the stinger and abdomen was still on my tongue since I bit the rest off. Silver lining, best time down that trail ever. Too bad I couldn't scream "STRAVA" coherently as I went down.
    Did you put mud on it?!

Jokes aside, those vicious bees sound like no joke. Sorry for that young man who succumbed to them.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    Good reason to be on a bike than on foot. When they start bouncing off your head, turn on the jets and ride away. You can even look back and see them chasing you. They only fly about 15 MPH. On foot... you better be Usain Bolt.
    Select your gearing wisely, you might not even out run blatant......
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Normal bees will chase for a quarter mile. Africanized bees will chase for over half a mile. I've ridden into them and been chased. If I was on foot it would have been ugly. This spring it seems like I've been hearing about bad attacks at least once a week.

Rent this space for $
    This is just great. I started BAIT training ('Bee Aversion Interval Training') this afternoon on my road bike. Found a nice 7% grade. Starting with 3 mins hard output, 3 mins rest, rep 4 times. Will build on that. I'ma gonna outrun dem dam beez!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We had a swarm of bees settle in our back yard tree for about 24 hours. Must have been looking for a new place to hive. Came in extremely quickly and left just as quick. They didn't seem to care about us at all, lucky I suppose. Sorry about the poor quality picture but that's as close as I wanted to get to them. Fortunately the moved on somewhere else (and not my house!!)

Like rattlesnakes aren't enough...-dsc04617-copy.jpg

Really sorry to hear about what happened to that gentleman though. Sad.

DC

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    This is just great. I started BAIT training ('Bee Aversion Interval Training') this afternoon on my road bike. Found a nice 7% grade. Starting with 3 mins hard output, 3 mins rest, rep 4 times. Will build on that. I'ma gonna outrun dem dam beez!
    Hey, if it helps, I can dress up in a bee Halloween costume and chase after you on my roadie?

mtbr member

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    We had a swarm of bees settle in our back yard tree for about 24 hours. Must have been looking for a new place to hive. Came in extremely quickly and left just as quick. They didn't seem to care about us at all, lucky I suppose. Sorry about the poor quality picture but that's as close as I wanted to get to them. Fortunately the moved on somewhere else (and not my house!!)

Really sorry to hear about what happened to that gentleman though. Sad.

DC

That's a "swarm" when the Queen bails out and moves, the hive will follow en masse. Wherever she lands, they will ball up to protect her until she moves again. They usually don't stay long and the workers are pretty docile at that point. This is when the bee keepers love to get them. They can start a whole new hive by coming out and collecting them before they move again. It's money in the bank for a bee keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Hey, if it helps, I can dress up in a bee Halloween costume and chase after you on my roadie?
    Let me get a few more miles in so I at least stand a chance.

btw...have you been watching chanel trente ocho from south of the border? That lil' dude with the bee costume? "Aye aye AYE...no mi gusta!"
    Last edited by Oh My Sack!; 05-27-2016 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I was hiking that trail every weekend with my 5 year old daughter. I live very close to Usery. This story has really shaken us. That easily could have been us. Three weeks ago we were at Usery together and I got "bumped" a couple times by some bees I looked up at the rock face and a whole bunch were starting to swarm and acting all crazy. I literary picked up my kiddo and ran like hell. They did not chase us but it was enough to spoke me.

I heard that if they start bumping you that is a warning. I got stung 4 weeks ago on top of camelback. But it was just one bee.

mtbr member
    ill post later..

Meatbomb
    I wonder if the guy did something to aggravate the bees?

livin' the dream......
    I have had a few occasions where I have had very large swarms fly right over me. One was on a trail run on the paradise trail. I felt very lucky that they just kept going, as I just felt totally exposed. The second was at Browns Ranch riding with my son. We stopped so I could adjust his seat post, and as we did that, a large swarm flew right over and around us. I whispered to him to stand still and not swat his hands. Thankfully they kept going.

I carry a bee hood with me, fits in my jersey pocket and weighs very little. I have actually misplaced it, and feel a bit nervous going out with out it.

Sad to hear about the young guy who died from the bee encounter. I will take a snake encounter any day over a swarm of bees attacking.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    i had a damn bee go in my mouth and sting my tongue going down javelina back to my car once at somo. Hurt like hell. Tongue was all swollen, and the stinger and abdomen was still on my tongue since i bit the rest off. Silver lining, best time down that trail ever. Too bad i couldn't scream "strava" coherently as i went down.
    "stwabba!!!!!"
    Low and slack.

MEGALOMANIAC
    I had a bee fly into mouth not long ago. Or, was I just hungry?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I carry a bee hood with me, fits in my jersey pocket and weighs very little. I have actually misplaced it, and feel a bit nervous going out with out it.
    Do you know what it's called?

Someone invented a non-toxic bee spray: BeeAlert:A solution for attacks by Africanized bees Africanizadas

I remember when two climbers were attacked by bees in Arizona:

Rock Climbing Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention: Climber dies at Camelback Mountain

Rides all the bikes!
    I figure my risk of bee attack by comparison to my risk of being hit by a car are so low, I don't even worry about it.

I did just get stung on the next a couple weeks ago on a night MTB ride.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I had a bee fly into mouth not long ago. Or, was I just hungry?
    I ate a mean ol' nasty Yellow Jacket or "Meat Bee" as we call 'em. He landed on the last bite of my sammich which I was holding while talking and then popped into my mouth. Seemed a little strange. The taste was a bit off. Then there was a buzzing movement. Then ZIIIIINNGGGG! The sumnibatch got me on the tongue, then the cheek, then the roof of my mouth. Last act of defiance, I guess. I spit it all out and he was all chewed up and I was hurtin!

I so hate Meat Bees.

mtbr member
    Tip re: African Bees:

"If you are being chased, run away in a straight line and find shelter. Africanized bees are slow fliers and most healthy people can outrun them. If you cannot get to shelter, run the length of two football fields before stopping."

Source: AZ Central

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickhall View Post
    If you cannot get to shelter, run the length of two football fields before stopping."

Source: AZ Central

The length of TWO football fields?! For about 80% of America's population, that would lead to imminent death by heart attack! The ol' sniper credo carries rings true in this situation.... "Don't bother runnin', you'll only die tired."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Careful people....you can't even $hit in peace:

Toilet trouble: Six people injured and one dead after falling off faulty raised toilet seats | Daily Mail Online

Let's just all huddle in our basements and listen to the Good Ole Time Gospel hour until this is all over!!!
    Don't you worry, Trump is going to fix everything.

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Bees are super scary 'round these parts for sure. Snakes suck too but don't usually make me worry too much about dying. Was in Dolores last week and saw a bear. Few minutes later heard some ungodly moan/howl/growl noise that scared the beejeezus out of me. Not sure what that was. Sucks to not be at the top of the food chain.
    - Brian

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I found this older website a while ago while looking for nothing in particular. Seems like it makes sense, especially in a case like this..

( here is the link, hopefully it works...)

5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness

mtbr member
    The other day, with this on my mind, I ran about 100 yards while carrying my son. It was such an awkward weight to carry and I was beat. I could probably do 200 yard with the right motivation but I would need a defribiltor.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcap View Post
    I found this older website a while ago while looking for nothing in particular. Seems like it makes sense, especially in a case like this..

( here is the link, hopefully it works...)

5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness
    Well, I guess that whole 140.6 thing means I can probably handle the running and swimming parts (being former USCG is no help, believe it or not). I'm currently short on the chin ups, but I climbed up a ladder from the opposite side at work with my hands only, so good enough...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post

I heard that if they start bumping you that is a warning. I got stung 4 weeks ago on top of camelback. But it was just one bee.
    I thought bees only sting once?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.