mtbr member

Let's open up this can of worms...

So, why exactly do you feel that mountain biking needs to be promoted and grow as a sport?

(Just a little something to chew on on this gorgeous Friday.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Saucy Size
    For me: To keep our equipment cheap(er).
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    I don't.
    I think its too big as it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    For me: To keep our equipment cheap(er).
    Amen, bikes at $10k, tires at $82.00 its getting a little crazy. Was walking thru Sears the other day and noticed that you can get a sweet ride on mower for $1,200, cant get much bike for that!

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I don't.
    I think its too big as it is.
    Partial agreement on this one... While it keeps the trails cleared for some of us die hards... While stranded with busted gear, it's nice to have someone come across and help a brutha out.

IMO... I'm happy with MTB'ing as it is... Not too big, but a fringe sport that is big enough that technology attention is there to constantly integrate and evolve the sport, yet not big enough that we're dealing with "I-10 and the 202" type traffic jams on the trails.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Newb here, but I don't. There are plenty of people doing it, and plenty of varieties out there if you want to. I think Cycling needs to be promoted, and even subsidised as transportation not sport. This would lead to cheaper equipment and acceptance faster than growing the sport. If we sold as many bikes as cars in america they would probably cost a fraction of what they do now due to low production volumes. Then once more people do it daily the Sport(s) wil follow suit and grow. Think how many people watch Nascar to cheer on their brand, cycling could be just as big if as many people did it.

mtbr member
    Skinny,
    I think you have a valid question with a complex answer. Any activity/sport/hobby, in my opinion has a critical mass point in it's lifetime. I think with MTB that occured around 98-02 and has been in decline ever since. What happens after, is that only the hardcores remain, there will always be new entries into our sport but for the hords that used to park at P&D those are days gone by. I remember the size of the fields at the races, guessing double what they are now.

I look back at the team I raced on (TNT) that entire group is out of the sport now and I think I am the only one left. One guy went pro and moved to Boulder.

Lance winning every tour for nearly a decade did a bunch for us as well. Maybe we need a new driving force? motivating element perhaps?

Steve

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    So, why exactly do you feel that mountain biking needs to be promoted and grow as a sport?

To have more lobbying power versus the horses and the walkers.

(This topic has all the potential to make this Friday FUN!)

sprocket

Define mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Define mountain biking.
    Nope, I'll leave that up to those who want to respond. Personally, I'm curious to see the honest responses.

sprocket
    Nope, I'll leave that up to those who want to respond. Personally, I'm curious to see the honest responses.

Fine.
    For me, dog, it is all about getting cycling in general promoted. To split mtb's out of the whole is doing no good. That is like saying AAA Baseball is not the same as Little League. Support the whole 'sport' of cycling and things will change. Bikes would get better and cheaper and the fringe elements of DH, TRI, FR, & tallbikes would finally be accepted as not the red-headed step-children they currently are mindlessly wallowing as, but instead as acceptable elements that can be counted as part of the sport.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    To have more lobbying power versus the horses and the walkers.

(This topic has all the potential to make this Friday FUN!)
    Another excellent point.

Or, in the spirit of 4/15 -- Atlas Shrugged is opening, you know -- we'll end up someday riding only on private preserves.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    nimby

******ed or Branded??
    For me personally, I would like the sub-catergories within Mtn biking to grow. XC is pretty much the meat of the sport and is the house hold name for Mtn biking.

I would like to see more LEGAL trails around the country catered to the other disciplines of the sport. Giving us more than a few options within a 3-4 state raidus.
    So in order for this to happen the sport has to evolve to more mainstream and grow.

Unfortunately this will bring the curious noobs in abundance which could clutter the trails. This just comes with the territory with growing as a sport.
    Surfing was the same and it's still growing. Especially when the movie Blue Crush came out, there has been more and more chicks surfing and Charging some gnar waves. Especially in Hawaii. Great eye candy but they can get in the way. But the waves are endless and eveyone is out there for fun and stokage. So why can't it be the same for Mtn Biking?
    I don't care how many people there are on the trails we are all out there having a good time. Plus if that gives us are more legal trails and more dedicated trails per disipline then it's all worth it!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Another excellent point.

Or, in the spirit of 4/15 -- Atlas Shrugged is opening, you know -- we'll end up someday riding only on private preserves.
    WTF? Why am I just hearing about this now? And Part 1? What the hell does that mean? A two-part movie?

I guess I better finish reading the damn book. I'm about a 10th of the way in (read: 400 pages.)

(I heard they are also making a movie for On The Road. *Sigh*)

mtbr member
    I think to a lot of people Mountain Biking is like Rock Climbing. A fun sport that has its niche group of people but not in the mainstream cuz its difficult and dangerous. MTBing is the same thing - maybe not as dangerous but certainly the potential for blood and broken bones is always there. A lot of my friends who don't ride think its a cool sport, but are concerned of pedaling over rocks and crashing - not quite as easy as hiking or other activities. Hell I tried for years to get my Wife into mountain biking but in the end her fear of rocks and always being so hesitant on the trails just never worked out.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I think its good to grow to keep prices down, R&D going, and have a large lobby to promote access and sustainable trails, as mentioned. It also gets us more trails, such as BCT and the AZT. Of course they're multi-use, but the MTB community has certainly had an impact on both systems (and I'm sure many more). Look to the AZT Jamboree that Chad put together or the work Dale has done at BCT as an example. This type of work and fund raising takes lots of people and dedication. (A BIG thanks to those that make this happen!) Besides, anything that gets people out in nature, working hard, sweating, building character and good friendships is good for society and this floating rock as a whole. A bike can only make your life better. And with that, I think all sectors of bikes should grow, from grocery-getter to downhill.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceRider
    Newb here, but I don't. There are plenty of people doing it, and plenty of varieties out there if you want to. I think Cycling needs to be promoted, and even subsidised as transportation not sport. This would lead to cheaper equipment and acceptance faster than growing the sport. If we sold as many bikes as cars in america they would probably cost a fraction of what they do now due to low production volumes. Then once more people do it daily the Sport(s) wil follow suit and grow. Think how many people watch Nascar to cheer on their brand, cycling could be just as big if as many people did it.
    Deuce, some great points here. But! - your name! I have horrible visions of the Alaskan Pipeline . Please, you're only 6 posts in, save my brain form its own depravity - at least put the niner in there! I'm only doing this to save you grief in the future - the boards can be unforgiving in the summer when everyone is grumpy and not riding enough. But with that - Welcome! Its a fun place with good peeps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Deuce, some great points here. But! - your name! I have horrible visions of the Alaskan Pipeline . Please, you're only 6 posts in, save my brain form its own depravity - at least put the niner in there! I'm only doing this to save you grief in the future - the boards can be unforgiving in the summer when everyone is grumpy and not riding enough. But with that - Welcome! Its a fun place with good peeps.
    I'm afraid to ask, but "Alaskan Pipeline?"

Yea, when I saw his username, I immediately had to go relieve myself.

mtbr member
    The sport will only grow if we sanitize all the trails and make them so everyone can ride everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    The sport will only grow if we sanitize all the trails and make them so everyone can ride everything.
    Do you really believe that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah I was eager to start posting and hadn't thought up a good Screen Name. Deuce is what I call my son who is a junior, and my bike has a Deuce fork so it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Not sure about the "Alaskan Pipeline" reference, but Skinny's comment is about what I was expecting.

sprocket
    Do you really believe that?

I do. Trails exist for one reason. To get people from point a to point b as effortlessly as possible. Anything else is pure self-indulgence.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

yes

Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    The answer must be...." even bigger wheels", the 36er will roam the plains like the almighty buffelo once did,only without the thunder of hooves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I'm afraid to ask, but "Alaskan Pipeline?"

Yea, when I saw his username, I immediately had to go relieve myself.
    You don't want to know and I don't want to dirty the boards here such explanations. Certainly not public discourse! I blame 98kupd for the fact that I even know....and I'm ashamed that I do know.... Ashamed that I also know rusty trombone, cosby sweater,and gorrilla face. Damn you KUPD!!! (they were all on the replay this morning, so they're fresh in my mind, unfortunately). However, google is your friend, but tread with caution, and certainly no image searches!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    You don't want to know and I don't want to dirty the boards here such explanations. Certainly not public discourse! I blame 98kupd for the fact that I even know....and I'm ashamed that I do know.... Ashamed that I also know rusty trombone, cosby sweater,and gorrilla face. Damn you KUPD!!! (they were all on the replay this morning, so they're fresh in my mind, unfortunately). However, google is your friend, but tread with caution, and certainly no image searches!
    Thanks for the warning. I think I'm a better man because of it (AND NO WAY IN HELL I'M GOOGLING THOSE THINGS).

Thanks for the warning. I think I'm a better man because of it (AND NO WAY IN HELL I'M GOOGLING THOSE THINGS).
    Smart. Who thought the radio could be so dangerous!

suvlako
    I think that the introduction of 29ers has attracted and brought a lot of roadies into the sport and this is responsible for the punctuated growth of the sport. I also think that DH/FR is in it's infancy(relatively speaking) and continues to attract more and more riders. I liken it to snowboarding and it's about to burst! It's neat to watch the increasing number of mountains in Colorado, Cali, Ut and other opening their slopes to the couches on wheels and vying for that business. They wouldn't do this if there wasn't an increasing # of people getting into it. If mtb is on the fringe, it ain't for long. Really cool in my opinion.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I was surprised last summer how UNcrowded places like Keystone and Winter Park were. They have so many trails spread out across the mountain that even if 200 riders showed up it would be relatively spread out. I think the mountain/resort/lift scene needs to grow but not the xc scene....already plenty of trails for that, sanitized and unsanitized. I rode Goat Camp three times this winter and only saw one rider over all three trips, so there are places to go ride without dealing with the crowds, just may have to drive a little further.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    I think that the introduction of 29ers has attracted and brought a lot of roadies into the sport and this is responsible for the punctuated growth of the sport. I also think that DH/FR is in it's infancy(relatively speaking) and continues to attract more and more riders. I liken it to snowboarding and it's about to burst! It's neat to watch the increasing number of mountains in Colorado, Cali, Ut and other opening their slopes to the couches on wheels and vying for that business. They wouldn't do this if there wasn't an increasing # of people getting into it. If mtb is on the fringe, it ain't for long. Really cool in my opinion.
    Yes, this explains why FS bike sales have plummeted by more than half over the last few years by both % of sales and by units sold* and why MTB sales have not experienced a punctuated growth since the mainstream introduction of 29ers*. Spot on as always.

*figures from specialty bike retail channels, i.e. "bike shops", does not factor in Wallyworld type bike sales.

How much further ???

I dont think it needs to be promoted at all. Not every sport needs to be like the NFL and cater to the masses. I like that it is a fringe type sport and requires a little word of mouth and exploration to figure things out. Mountain biking still has a soul and a deep connection to nature. You cant promote that. You either have it or you don't. Just my 2 cents.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Need more cowbell
    Major Motion Picture.....
    I'm thinking RAD 2....the sequel

In all seriousness, stuff like that will spike interest, good or bad. Remember how everybody wanted to join the NAVY when Top Gun came out?

No mames guey
    WTF? Why am I just hearing about this now? And Part 1? What the hell does that mean? A two-part movie?

I guess I better finish reading the damn book. I'm about a 10th of the way in (read: 400 pages.)

(I heard they are also making a movie for On The Road. *Sigh*)
    I heard it was a 3 part movie. The trailer looks pretty good. It will be interesting how Galt's 80 page radio speech will be summaried in the film.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Major Motion Picture.....
    I'm thinking RAD 2....the sequel

In all seriousness, stuff like that will spike interest, good or bad. Remember how everybody wanted to join the NAVY when Top Gun came out?
    Um, Brian, I think it's time you came out of the closet.

Big B's Trails
    Um, Brian, I think it's time you came out of the closet.
    ahhhhh that is the most rad clip
    I dig dirt!

Shovel Ready
    More indoor bike parks like Ray's.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i don't consider mtb a sport, as i could give 2 craps about the competitive aspect of it (or any sports). its an activity for me. i just like being out there drinking in the surroundings while getting exercise at the same time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    I heard it was a 3 part movie. The trailer looks pretty good. It will be interesting how Galt's 80 page radio speech will be summaried in the film.
    Yea, I went on IMDB to look it up. A three-part movie? No thanks, I'll wait for the VCR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Lift served. It will open the sport up to so many not willing to work so hard for the reward. Bike parks are the future.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuceRider

Well, after having read that, I think you would be well advised to change your user name!

It's not too late you know!

Eroding into the trail
    Here is a good example of why Mtn. biking needs/should be promoted and grow as a sport.

4-15-11 AZ Republic
    Excerpted from article by Betty Reid

The Spear S Ranch Trailhead in the north valley at 41799 N. New River Road (Phx), the newest portion of the Maricopa Regional Trail System, was dedicated Saturday. Work has begun on 320 of the approx. 1,500 miles in the trail system is estimated to be completed by 2016 & the remaining trails to be finished by 2031.

The new trailhead is designed to be a link between Lake Pleasant Regional Park and Cave Creek Recreation Area.

-------------

If Mtn. biking is promoted more, maybe trail systems such as this would be completed in a more timely manner, and we could enjoy them before we (and our bikes) turn to rust!

The completion of existing projects/plans and development of new trails will grow the sport
    to a certain degree, allowing more riders entry into the sport via increased access to trail systems and providing new areas for everyone to explore and enjoy nature.

(and new spots to stash Tequila!).

mtbr member
    Cycling brings out the kid in most of us. It's fun, diverse, and fairly easy to get into. It has the soul thing going, the connection to nature, and this thing called flow. What a great thing to have people do, rather than all of those other diversions that lead to stress, obesity, poor health, misery, and general zombieness.
    In my twenties, I used to get my hackles up when other I saw other people out in the outdoors, next to my rock, stream, lake, favorite trail, or wilderness. I was constantly trying to escape the masses. I didn't tell anyone about this place or that trail. Keep it secret, keep it safe. That didn't work. In my thirties, I tolerated the masses as long as they were in the popular areas, riding the system trails. In my forties, I tend to welcome anyone out in the further reaches of trails and wild lands, (as long as they are respectful of the resource) largely because of I see how people need open space to help balance their lives. The bicycle is a great tool to do this. My hope that people would adapt the bike into their lives a little more. And when these trails are threatened by closure, there will be a number of people who would care enough to send a letter, show up at a meeting, or send a check to a organization that speaks for cycling.
    Now onto the promotion of mountain biking, should I say trail riding. I'm putting my time and effort into creating this Sedona Fat Tire Festival coming up next weekend. I've been planning it for a few months now. Why? Well, its complicated. It's more about passion than anything else right now. Certainly not about money. Not about fame. Not about competition. It's more about putting a little more soul into the everyday life of me and those who chose to participate.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I like crowds at SO MO on Saturdays and no crowds on DC on Mondays. Never too many Mountain Bikers in my opinion. I'm glad to hear about Sedona Fat Tire Festival. I think it should draw crowds like Sea Otter, and Moab. I'm looking foward to the day I can turn on the tube on Sundays and see MB races instead of Football all the freakin time.

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by 22GILBERT22
    I'm looking foward to the day I can turn on the tube on Sundays and see MB races instead of Football all the freakin time.
    DAMN your mouth!!!! I love MTB, but nothing beats Sunday NFL. This year you may get your wish though.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Keep it secret, keep it safe.
    Do you by chance have a secret ring of power? Also, I just happened across this photo of you when I did a google search:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's open up this can of worms...-frodo.jpg  

livin' the dream......
    Good thread.

I am fine with the state of cycling as it is now. I enjoy seeing other riders on the trails and on the road. I think people are into it, or could give a hoot about cycling. I've never been stopped on the trail and asked "how do I get into mountain biking?"

I agree the prices are rather high for gear, but that seems to be the norm for the sports I am into. I am looking for some ski touring gear right now, and it is costly!

I just love getting out there. I think you "get it" or you don't.

mtbr member
    I know Colorado and California have both started high school mtb teams........
    When all else fails - Haul Ass

mtbr member
    I think Cycling in general is where there is room for improvement but mountain biking is fine the way it is. I would like to see more mountain bike races run like the one I did in AJ today though.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Fine.
    For me, dog, it is all about getting cycling in general promoted. To split mtb's out of the whole is doing no good. That is like saying AAA Baseball is not the same as Little League. Support the whole 'sport' of cycling and things will change. Bikes would get better and cheaper and the fringe elements of DH, TRI, FR, & tallbikes would finally be accepted as not the red-headed step-children they currently are mindlessly wallowing as, but instead as acceptable elements that can be counted as part of the sport.

Totally agree (is that not a little weird YS?)
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I'd like Mtn biking to get bigger but it's definitely a sport that has a little niche which will be hard to get out of because of the way the American society is and of course mtn biking has to compete with things like
    1.) Kids these days love video games more than their mothers
    2.) Economy and making the decision to drop money on an expensive hobby
    3.) other sports competing for same spot- talking TV and media coverage -
    just an example - Grass Roots Motorsports like Grandam, SCCA Pro Racing, WRC, D1 drifting and others are barely covered on a Pro level. these are other niche sports but are far expensive but even have more TV coverage luster but aren't that big... .

4.) unfortunately for some, mtn biking is sort of hard to do and takes time which people seem to have a hard time finding the determination for or time for

But I'll stay positive and hope it grows so I don't have to drop 2-3 times as much money on something than I know it should cost. My point of view is coming from my professional background as a Manufacturing Engineer.

Maybe we need some new biking movies huh?

If you show it they will come!

https://www.rad-on-dvd.com/
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Members who have read this thread: 0