mtbr member
    Jul 2008

lesson learned...

Ive been wanting to ride the 24HITOP course for quite some time and schedules could never match ith my buddies who have ridden it to show me the way. So I decided to just go for it. I got a little info from a buddy on the trails and roads and such and looked at as many maps as I could find but was pretty cluless. I live somewhat in the area(appx. 25 mins from arch) so it isnt far for me. I took off like I knew what I was doing after getting a late start at ~1015 this AM. All was good, even the little rock section with short drop(was fun!) and continued through the 7 b!tches and rode till I hit a gate..... Decided to take the road that goes to the right up into the mountains a ways... no shuch luck finding the trail. Had to come back to the gate and call a buddy. Got directions for the long(old) course and headed off. All was well until i hit more roads that I rode for a while(the wrong way) only to find if I went the other way I would have hit the trail relitively soon. Anyways I finished up the ride and clocked just under 25 miles and was done near 12:45. Longer than I wanted to be out but fun. Lesson learned is if you dont have any idea where the trail is then either wait or get some dang good directions because it picks up and dies off alot to roads. Still fun but would have been better to be on the trail more than I was.

Gotta start hitting this more now since I know it. I generally ride the 50year alot since it is so close to my house.

mtbr member
    The section at the end of the *****es is kinda tricky. Basically, you follow the road til you see a gate/fence, then turn right. Follow the trail about 200 yds and turn left, I believe through another gate. Follow the road about 1/4 mile and basically do a 180 degree turn to the left and follow that road back toward the gate, turn right and that puts you back on the singletrack.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    The section at the end of the *****es is kinda tricky. Basically, you follow the road til you see a gate/fence, then turn right. Follow the trail about 200 yds and turn left, I believe through another gate. Follow the road about 1/4 mile and basically do a 180 degree turn to the left and follow that road back toward the gate, turn right and that puts you back on the singletrack.
    yeah at the gate I went right up the road past the other gate and up into the mountains some. then went through the open gate and saw he single track but wanted to make sure I hit the whole trail as I wasnt sure how much I'd cut out or even be on the right section. I took the road like you said but went a mile to the cattle pond(old course) and across the berm and followed it back to where it meets the new course right before the corrals. then where you hit the other gate that has the fenced "switch back" if you will i took the road to the right instead of the left and then later found the green gate I had to go through. All in all fun but like I said shoulda waited cause if I didnt have my buddy to guide me at a couple places via the phone id have just road the trail back... I have been out there a ton camping and hicking but never taken the course, so I knew where I was just not where the trail was...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    yeah at the gate I went right up the road past the other gate and up into the mountains some. then went through the open gate and saw he single track but wanted to make sure I hit the whole trail as I wasnt sure how much I'd cut out or even be on the right section. I took the road like you said but went a mile to the cattle pond(old course) and across the berm and followed it back to where it meets the new course right before the corrals. then where you hit the other gate that has the fenced "switch back" if you will i took the road to the right instead of the left and then later found the green gate I had to go through. All in all fun but like I said shoulda waited cause if I didnt have my buddy to guide me at a couple places via the phone id have just road the trail back... I have been out there a ton camping and hicking but never taken the course, so I knew where I was just not where the trail was...
    I've done the race 8 out of 10 years, and took some teammates out for there about two months prior to the race about 4 years ago. You'd think after having ridden the course so many times--a minimum of 20 laps--that I would have no problems. Nonetheless, we probably rode 15% of the course, as I was completely lost. It's a lot easier to ride when it's marked.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    Ive been wanting to ride the 24HITOP course for quite some time and schedules could never match ith my buddies who have ridden it to show me the way. So I decided to just go for it. I got a little info from a buddy on the trails and roads and such and looked at as many maps as I could find but was pretty cluless. I live somewhat in the area(appx. 25 mins from arch) so it isnt far for me. I took off like I knew what I was doing after getting a late start at ~1015 this AM. All was good, even the little rock section with short drop(was fun!) and continued through the 7 b!tches and rode till I hit a gate..... Decided to take the road that goes to the right up into the mountains a ways... no shuch luck finding the trail. Had to come back to the gate and call a buddy. Got directions for the long(old) course and headed off. All was well until i hit more roads that I rode for a while(the wrong way) only to find if I went the other way I would have hit the trail relitively soon. Anyways I finished up the ride and clocked just under 25 miles and was done near 12:45. Longer than I wanted to be out but fun. Lesson learned is if you dont have any idea where the trail is then either wait or get some dang good directions because it picks up and dies off alot to roads. Still fun but would have been better to be on the trail more than I was.

Gotta start hitting this more now since I know it. I generally ride the 50year alot since it is so close to my house.
    This is why I love my GPS.
    Just follow the purple line.

Members who have read this thread: 0