Lenzsport Behemoth- Mtbr.com
    Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Lenzsport Behemoth

Anyone in the AZ forum riding a Behemoth? If so what impressions could you provide. Do you feel this frame could handle the abuse National would subject it to?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I'm not on a Moth (4" Leviathan) but I'd say yes...
    Last edited by cycljunkie; 11-28-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Anyone in the AZ forum riding a Behemoth? If so what impressions could you provide. Do you feel this frame could handle the abuse National would subject it to?
    I've had mine since ~Feb. Absolutely love it.

I live in Tucson but one of the first rides I did on the 'moth was National Trail. That was a good ride, without a doubt. I've ridden National on a hard tails and FS, but with the Behemoth it was like a different trail. Everything looked smaller. Just had to watch the speed -- I could carry too much speed in some places.

I've now had a lot of time on it, and I find that I reach for it on any ride that's even remotely technical. Despite the weight, it's just more fun than my other bikes.

The frame is overbuilt, but there were some tweaks that needed to be made to the design, I guess. Mine has a dent near the BB that was from a hard impact, but it's absolutely fine -- that was back in Feb. But my frame is one of two 'moths that has a small crack near the head tube weld. My replacement frame (beefed up in that spot) is on the way, but I've continued to ride it with no problems. Just got back from St. George (mucho rock and drops), and the crack isn't growing.

Anyway, let me know if I can help more. Here's a pic from Area 52, near the Gila River. Photo credit to CJ here on the AZ forum.

Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Shovel Ready
    What do you think a average build weight would be with this frame? Not a whole lot on information on the Lenzsport website. I'm a heavy/fat rider (260lbs) so I'm trying to stay as light as I can and still have a tough ride. I will say I'm not at the level of big drops and super nasty terrain. Thus the main reason for considering selling my Turner RFX. Recently purchased a Niner Sir 9 (geared) and just love that bike, 28lbs. But I do want a FS ride and if I have to replace the Turner I think big wheels play to my favor. Just trying to figure out the best frame option at this point.

mtbr member

check this out

Found this interesting
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=107647
    Attached Images Attached Images

im4Gsus
    tim, pm scrat, he has one.
    k

edit: oops, my bad: he has a leviathan, not a behemoth

Scott in Tucson
    What do you think a average build weight would be with this frame? Not a whole lot on information on the Lenzsport website.
    Mine is about 33 lbs, and I'd call it average. I generally don't weight weenie my bikes, especially this one. Nothing was really chosen for weight -- more for durability and cost. Wheels, tires and fork are on the heavy/stout side of things. As built it's more bike than I normally use (as far as drops and such go). But it sure is fun to have a bike this "big" (wheels and suspension) for all around AZ riding.

I'm pretty sure you could build up a 'moth to ~29 pounds (or less?), but it would kind of defeat the purpose in my mind.

Good luck.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Shovel Ready
    I just don't want to get into another 38lbs rig. Heck the Behemoth my be too much frame for my type of riding. Just tough being a large size rider trying to get a strong frame but still be able to pedal it on climbs and longer trial rides.

Shovel Ready
    Thanks for trying to help! May look at the Leviathan also. I'm just asking questions at this point.

Members who have read this thread: 0