mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Lemmon Drop vs. Canada Del Oro (CDO)

Friend and I spending a couple of days in Tucson Thanksgiving weekend and wanted to do a ride from Mt. Lemmon down. Never done either if these rides. Just wondering which would be the better choice. Both of us are used to 20ish mile rides here in phoenix, and are used to technical riding. 30 miles for a long ride would be doable. We have two cars and will be self-shuttling. We understand backcountry riding and have the wherewithall to be prepared for possble problems.

My takeaways so far:
    Lemmon Drop: more technical (or more of it), probably more HAB, more climbing, 30 ish miles, longer day in the saddle, start and finish locations easier to shuttle.

CDO: less technical (and less of it), probably less HAB, less climbing, 21ish miles, shorter day in the saddle, start and finish locations farther apart -- more time to set up shuttle before and after.

Things I don't know: I assume both are scenic to some degree? Which one is more enjoyable? Thanks for any help/recommendations.

mtbr member
    I've done both. Search back on this forum for Lemmon drop TR. Just did CDO yesterday for the first time.

Lemmon drop will be a bigger day but much shorter shuttle. It is harder than CDO but I thought it was more rideable overall. The HABs tended to be single longer pushes like up from Bugs or Molino. Some on/off on Green. But otherwise you are mostly riding of you can handle the tech.

CDO was great up top. Further down there were lots of downed trees and tough stream crossings. I was on and off the bike a lot. Very rocky in a not always bike friendly way. Lots of HAB towards the end. Trail was hard to follow in places as well.

Personally I'd suggest doing Lemmon drop. Shorter shuttle, easier route to follow, and lots of bail outs if you need to. Bring lights, extra food and clothing as days are short and that ride is not.

Do CDO later when you can get on a Torca or homegrown shuttle, so you can ride it with someone who has done it before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've done both. Search back on this forum for Lemmon drop TR. Just did CDO yesterday for the first time.

Lemmon drop will be a bigger day but much shorter shuttle. It is harder than CDO but I thought it was more rideable overall. The HABs tended to be single longer pushes like up from Bugs or Molino. Some on/off on Green. But otherwise you are mostly riding of you can handle the tech.

CDO was great up top. Further down there were lots of downed trees and tough stream crossings. I was on and off the bike a lot. Very rocky in a not always bike friendly way. Lots of HAB towards the end. Trail was hard to follow in places as well.

Personally I'd suggest doing Lemmon drop. Shorter shuttle, easier route to follow, and lots of bail outs if you need to. Bring lights, extra food and clothing as days are short and that ride is not.

Do CDO later when you can get on a Torca or homegrown shuttle, so you can ride it with someone who has done it before.
    Homegrown is doing a shuttle on cdo the day after Thanksgiving. This would be a good chance to try CDO. To shuttle it yourself is a pain.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Leave one car at the OV marketplace parking lot the night before, that way you have a ride at the end. Then find someone or hire Homegrown to drop you at the top. I like CDO better, but that's just personal, both are great rides. The only part of CDO I dislike is the flat part just before the gap road. The climb out isn't too bad and the Cherry tank-50 year-CSP is fun. Can't go wrong, plus there is always the Admirals Feast at Red Lobster when you are done, your side salad is the only thing not deep fried.

mtbr member
    They're very different experiences. Ev is right, the Lemmon Drop is probably going to be more fun you unless you really are wanting the backcountry adventure type ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I would have to say that CDO is a ride that you should try at least once. Red Ridge is also a good one. I recommend going with someone who has done this ride before because there are a few places were it is easy to go the wrong way.
    The lemmon drop is a lot easier to find your way. Just remember that the last trail is one of the hardest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Strunkbro View Post
    Just remember that the last trail is one of the hardest.
    I've heard that last one in passing before. It sounded like it might be more technical and after some hours on the bike, an injury from a stupid mistake would be easy.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we're going to do something easyish around Tucson Mountain Park on Friday (since we're also traveling on that day) and the Lemmon Drop on Saturday.

Is the parking on Avenida De Suzenu (at the bottom of La Milagrosa) legit? Is that where people normally park at the bottom?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    I've heard that last one in passing before. It sounded like it might be more technical and after some hours on the bike, an injury from a stupid mistake would be easy.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we're going to do something easyish around Tucson Mountain Park on Friday (since we're also traveling on that day) and the Lemmon Drop on Saturday.

Is the parking on Avenida De Suzenu (at the bottom of La Milagrosa) legit? Is that where people normally park at the bottom?
    HomeGrown Shuttles is running a CDO / Lemmon Drop shuttle tomorrow morning.

homegrownmtb.com/event/day-thanksgiving-cdo-lemmon-drop-shuttle/

There are quite a few spots to park @ the end of the road on Suzenu, that is the normal meetup point for shuttles.. however HomeGrown is picking up at Le Buzz Cafe further down the road for this one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'll be shuttling CDO and also Bellota/LaMilagrosa (separately) this week. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    watch out for the bushes on CDO - i got scratched up on the Black Friday shuttle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiebruster View Post
    watch out for the bushes on CDO - i got scratched up on the Black Friday shuttle.

This was a great ride, and Homegrown MTB was a great guide company. Felt more like I was riding with friends.

As far as getting scratched, that seems to come with the territory down there. Everything has a spike or thorn on it, not just the cactus!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Lemmon Drop vs. Canada Del Oro (CDO)-cdo.jpg

Snowy at the top on 12/23. Snowy for the first few miles actually.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Rideable snow?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlin_ridgelines View Post
    Rideable snow?
    100%

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    My buddies rode Lemmon Drop yesterday, in tshirts. Snow was a complete non issue

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.