Thread: LBS...everytime

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

LBS...everytime

Just curious if anyone else has problems with DNA in scottsdale... everytime i take my bike in to have it adjusted or fixed it seems to come back in worse shape than when i brought it in. Last week my stumpy was in because i had a lot of play with my rear brake lever and my rear deraileur hasnt been adjusted right since i bought it. I picked it up and now my rear brake hardly stops and the lever is sloppy again. on top of that my front deraileur is now all jacked....WTF does it take to do a job correctly??? only reason i continue to take it back is because i have free service on it for a year and i dont want to have pay someone else to do a job they should be doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by possumjenkins
    Just curious if anyone else has problems with DNA in scottsdale... everytime i take my bike in to have it adjusted or fixed it seems to come back in worse shape than when i brought it in. Last week my stumpy was in because i had a lot of play with my rear brake lever and my rear deraileur hasnt been adjusted right since i bought it. I picked it up and now my rear brake hardly stops and the lever is sloppy again. on top of that my front deraileur is now all jacked....WTF does it take to do a job correctly??? only reason i continue to take it back is because i have free service on it for a year and i dont want to have pay someone else to do a job they should be doing.
    What did they say when you told them it was still not working?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    stupid me didnt check it right away... i havent had a chance to ride since i picked it up... its my own fault but even so it should have been fixed...

Shovel Ready
    How many times is every time? What did they say when you discussed the previous issues?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

ask for Bob

Bob is one of the technician's there. I'd tell him your experience and ask him to look at it.
    Given the description of your issues (a break lever adjustment and front derailuer) shouldn't take more than five minutes....

Before I started doing my own servicing, I took my (high end) bikes to Bob at SMC where he worked at the time and has always done excellent work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    How many times is every time? What did they say when you discussed the previous issues?

This is the 4th time for my rear deraileur. I was told the last time that my deraileur hanger was bent and was somewhat accused of dropping or wrecking it. the time before that they told me adjusting the deraileur isnt an exact science and it will never be exactly how i want it???? I was only asking them to stop the skip shifting that was happening..... I explained to them (nicely) that i have brought it in for the same issue several times now. Everytime i go in I end up talking to someone different. i know they only have like 5 employees but last time some skinny dirty unshaven kid with dark hair was helping me and half ass leaned my bike against a wall and it fell over and scraped the paint off the side of the frame and then acted like oh my bad i wonder why that happened.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the "free" adjustments are costing you a lot, in time, gas and emotional toll.
    If your derauller hanger is bent, maybe time to get a new one.

parenting for gnarness
    you've seen what this shop has to offer you. The burden is now on you to ask better questions and get the most out of the staff, talk to the manager, or move on to a shop you like better.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    I learned early on that no one adjusts a derailler better than I....no one takes better care of my bike, better than I. I love my LBS.....but I still do most of the work.......

wawe member
    I was told the last time that my deraileur hanger was bent and was somewhat accused of dropping or wrecking it.
    Did you replace the hanger?

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    maybe they didn't ride the bike after they made the adjustment?

I find I can adjust my shifters so they shift like butta just freewheelin in the air but when I hop on the bike, it changes slightly and I'll have to adjust again. It's allways worked best to fine tune by riding and adjusting. Personally I think taking a bike in for a shifter adjustment is sort of like giving someone the responsibility of adjusting your seat post or writing your wish list upon winning the lottery, only you really know what you want. They are worth figuring out how to adjust, that's for sure.
    Last edited by berny2435; 04-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    step 1. buy some tools

step 2. fix it yourself.

step 3. welcome to the world of bike maint. where the mistakes made are yours and the fixes are yours too. BTW free tune ups are put there for people who ride their bikes once a year and only get it tuned to say they did it. You will soon find that a tune up they charge for, is what you will do to your bike every time you finish a ride, or at least should be.

step 4. buy three hangars, they break easily and often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    Bob is one of the technician's there. I'd tell him your experience and ask him to look at it.
    Given the description of your issues (a break lever adjustment and front derailuer) shouldn't take more than five minutes....

Before I started doing my own servicing, I took my (high end) bikes to Bob at SMC where he worked at the time and has always done excellent work.
    Funny - I was going to post the exact same thing. Have known Bob since he was at SMC and he is one of the best mechanics out there. Ask for him.

Meatbomb
    not everyone as the time, talent or desire to maintain their bike past a cleaning and lubing after every 4th ride or so... me included. every time i try to adjust my der, i make it worse not better.

I'll change oil and filters in my truck but if the trany is acting up, it's going to the shop.

MIA
    Feb 2005

One more vote for Bob

I too have known Bob since the SMC days, and would highly recommend talking to him directly. By far one of the best in the biz, he'll take good care of you, just ask specifically for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Tech
    Funny - I was going to post the exact same thing. Have known Bob since he was at SMC and he is one of the best mechanics out there. Ask for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    you've seen what this shop has to offer you. The burden is now on you to ask better questions and get the most out of the staff, talk to the manager, or move on to a shop you like better.
    IMO the OP is hooked on the "free tune ups" that DNA is offering since he bought the bike there.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    IMO the OP is hooked on the "free tune ups" that DNA is offering since he bought the bike there.
    That might be true. But most shops will do free adjustments if you become a regular at their shop.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A little off topic, what is the deal with bike techs and their accusatory tone? For example, I went to have my front wheel trued up at a local bike shop (where I did not buy the bike, nor the wheels). Sent my wife to pick it up. The tech told her how much trouble he had with the wheel and how it must have been "used and abused."

Of course my wife basically has the same response I would have, "Ummmm....isn't that the point of mountain biking?"

I understand that there are plenty of people who buy mountain bikes and ride them around on flat dirt paths and when those bike come in for a tune up, they look prestine; maybe that's what they're used to seeing. And maybe in some cases, the LBS doesn't want to deal with warranty repairs so they look for things done "wrong" by the owner But I bought my bike to actually use it. If something breaks from wear and tear, I'll replace it. Don't have to make a federal case over a banged up wheel.

dirt visionary
    Make the trip to cactus people who know what they are doing....Otherwise if you plan to ride for years and years its time to pony up . Buy tools and learn how to do general maintance yourself.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As many people have said, learn to do it yourself

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    A little off topic, what is the deal with bike techs and their accusatory tone? For example, I went to have my front wheel trued up at a local bike shop (where I did not buy the bike, nor the wheels). Sent my wife to pick it up. The tech told her how much trouble he had with the wheel and how it must have been "used and abused."

Of course my wife basically has the same response I would have, "Ummmm....isn't that the point of mountain biking?"

I understand that there are plenty of people who buy mountain bikes and ride them around on flat dirt paths and when those bike come in for a tune up, they look prestine; maybe that's what they're used to seeing. And maybe in some cases, the LBS doesn't want to deal with warranty repairs so they look for things done "wrong" by the owner But I bought my bike to actually use it. If something breaks from wear and tear, I'll replace it. Don't have to make a federal case over a banged up wheel.
    just an observation over the years, this type of conversation can happen in any business where customers bring something in for repair. Same example could be said of bringing in a car. Unfortunately we all are not versed well in proper communication practices so this accusotory tone might come out of our mouths even though we are just trying to have a friendly conversation.

Where the LBS or car dealer will tend to get upset is when they quote you for a $20 job but it was really a $40 job because it took them twice as long to do the repair. Obviously they can't do as many jobs that day now so time is money.. .

Speaking of which, I have a rear wheel I need work done on. I only have 2 spokes of 4 that look like they need replaced. Probably just going to have to re-lace the entire wheel though.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    OP-
    I would like to know what Brand/Model the bike is only to know the price point of the machine. If it is a lower end ride with lower end compentry- you will usually have lots of issues with shifters/derailluers/cables and the like- part of the cost of not paying the cost in the first place. Not saying a bike at that price point is a poor choice- it is an excellent choice for someone who may not be sure if they are gonna really ride it.

Derailluer hangers are pretty flimsy on some brands and/or models, and just loading it into a trunk or on a rack with other bikes can tweak it. It really does not take much on some bikes. And a little tiny tweak the eye can't see can really throw off lots of bikes. Even just dropping it on its side (like they did at the shop) could have done it. Just saying.

My LBS- if you want to know who they are look in the latest "best LBS" thread- doesn't jack around with tune ups. If they are working on it and it needs replaced they are not afraid to call and tell you it needs fixed. Why does it need fixed is not of importance- the fact that is does is. They don't accuse you of abusing it- its a bike. Bikes are wear items (even the frames to a certain extent) just like cars, the human body, homes, and the earth. How quickly it wears depends on many things. Find a new shop, pay for a tune up ($35) and see what happens.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    A quick story about Bob @ DNA.

Two years ago, I had a bike with xtr disc brakes. One of the pistons would stick, and my fix for this was to hold the "good" piston in while pumping the brakes to force the "stuck" piston out a bit. I would then clean and lube the piston and work it back into the caliper. This was a temporary fix but I did it several times to keep my bike running. Anyway, I forced the piston out a bit too far one day and got a ton of air in the system. I bled the brake a few times but within minutes the lever would go squishy again. Took it to Bob, who I had not done business with before, explained what I had done, and he said it probably just needed a new seal kit. He had to order the kit from Shimano, and he said it would cost about $45 for the parts and labor. No problem. About a week later he called and to say my bike was ready. I got there, felt of the brake (felt perfect), pulled out my wallet to pay him, and he said "Oh, Shimano sent the seal kit under warranty and I'm not going to charge you for replacing it". So he replaced the seal kit and bled the brake and didn't charge me a dime! The bike was about 3 years old and I know the warranty had long expired. He could have easily charged me the $45 and I wouldn't have know that Shimano gave him the seal kit. But he didn't. VERY HONEST. Since then, I've taken my bikes to him for anything that I can't or don't have time to fix. I even took a Sid for in to him for warranty repair, that I didn't buy there. No problem at all. He took care of it.

Maybe other's experiences have been different than mine, but as long as I'm within 100 miles of DNA, my bikes are going to Bob for service.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

I ride with tools
    Have you ever considered learning to take care of your bike yourself?

No cost, no waiting, no complaining that it wasn't done right.

Seems like a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam

Seems like a no-brainer.
    Hhmmmm, if only it was this easy .

mtbr member

Seems like a no-brainer.
    I do nearly all my own too- but for some it is not an option for a variety of reasons. I mean- I can do timing belts and rebuild engines and transmissions on my trucks- but I don't want to and with my time constraints- It is worth it for me to pay someone I trust to do so.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I to have had great experience with Bob at DNA much like the story of the brake warranty only it was my brain that he worked on. DNA is a bit of a drive for me but well worth it. I also wonder why other lbs can't get it right the first time, and so I am learning to work on my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You might check out global bikes events calendar they have an overview 1 or 2x's a month In some cases "Beer" inclusive , REI offers some training as well but I think they charge? because I've been surfing my work cubical way too much the trade off becomes Time & $$$
    My LBS does a great job and on my best day I don't have the overview they do..for what it's worth(much to my chagrin) the bartender at the Marriott Buttes makes a better Margarita than I.......

mtbr member
    I really don't mean anything derogatory against DNA, but everytime I've been in there, I get the feeling that no one wants to give me the time of day unless I'm going to drop a lot of money. Maybe I just picked off days to visit, but most shops have great employees and @$$holes. I find it depends on the customer attitude more than anything. Being in the customer service industry for over a decade has definitely taught me that. (not saying the OP did anything to spark such poor service)
    That being said, I have found a couple shops in town that really impressed me with their level of customer service and mechanical service. Two of those are Slippery Pig in Fountain Hills (too bad theyre way too far to drive to), and Sunday Cycles, which is super close to my house. those two places have gone above and beyond every time.
    just my $0.02.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Hhmmmm, if only it was this easy .
    It is that easy. Unless you're challenged in some way.

locked - time out
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I learned early on that no one adjusts a derailler better than I....no one takes better care of my bike, better than I. I love my LBS.....but I still do most of the work.......
    x2, buy tools, a stand and get busy with dis and re-assembly. Nothing will be more satisfying than the perfect ride afterwards!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Go to Bike Saviours in Tempe or Rusy Spoke in Phoenix. They have tons of tools and bike stands and they'll teach you fix your own bike for free. There's also Handlebar Helpers in Scottsdale. I got tired of taking my bikes in for every little thing that broke. Those small repairs add up quickly. Now when things break, I fix it at home or at Bike Saviours (closest to my house). Why wait a week, when I can fix it and ride it the same day?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [QUOTE=cstem]OP-
    I would like to know what Brand/Model the bike is only to know the price point of the machine. If it is a lower end ride with lower end compentry- you will usually have lots of issues with shifters/derailluers/cables and the like- part of the cost of not paying the cost in the first place. Not saying a bike at that price point is a poor choice- it is an excellent choice for someone who may not be sure if they are gonna really ride it.

It is a 2010 StumpJumper FSR comp.......not a cheap pos..... i have only had it since Nov.... and i have a hard time putting 15 miles a week on it street riding...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [QUOTE=bazooka_beard]I really don't mean anything derogatory against DNA, but everytime I've been in there, I get the feeling that no one wants to give me the time of day unless I'm going to drop a lot of money. Maybe I just picked off days to visit, but most shops have great employees and @$$holes. I find it depends on the customer attitude more than anything. Being in the customer service industry for over a decade has definitely taught me that. (not saying the OP did anything to spark such poor service)
    That being said, I have found a couple shops in town that really impressed me with their level of customer service and mechanical service. Two of those are Slippery Pig in Fountain Hills (too bad theyre way too far to drive to), and Sunday Cycles, which is super close to my house. those two places have gone above and beyond every time.
    just my $0.02.[/QUOTE

My sentiments exactly... i have spent about 5k in that shop since Nov and as long as i buy something they are cool.

Just out of curiousity I keep hearing about this Slippery Pig in FH where is it??? I have lived in FH for 25years and know of every shop in town but I cannot locate this shop....

Meatbomb

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Thanks Phillbo! I feel like an idiot now i live right around the corner and have never seen it...

"Coffee is for closers."
    My two cents. I am mostly a do-it-yourselfer, with bikes and everything else, and do my own builds and general maint. I do know my limitations however, so will humbly present the bike to my LBS when I'm over my head. I say "my" LBS, but I use several different shops. I've found that even with the shops I really like, they have off days, or your preferred mechanic is out/gone/hungover, whatever. One example: I had several poor experiences with SMC, mostly over one issue and with one guy. I did go back recently, dealt with my favorite tech, plus another great guy, and realized again why I like that shop.

Like most things, it all boils down to personal connections and relationships, and the particular circumstances. In my experience, very few shops are top-to-bottom bad, or good for that matter. Factors in the outcome of overall experience include the relationships between customer, mechanic, bike, issue, phase of the moon, etc. You get the picture.

I don't know the Bob mentioned previously in this thread, but I would ask for him only if you go back to DNA. Don't feel bad about it either, it's your bike, money, and time.

Sorry for the long rant.

mtbr member
    Thanks Phillbo! I feel like an idiot now i live right around the corner and have never seen it...
    The sign on the building says something other that Slippery Pig (unless they've changed it since last I visited.) But it does have "cycle" in the name. In fact, I had to drive by twice and even call them when I was across the street just to make sure it was the Pig my first time.
    Thats where I bought my first bike, and the guys have been nothing short of awesome when I've been there. I would keep giving them my business, but it takes me about 30-45 minutes drive just to get there.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    It is that easy. Unless you're challenged in some way.
    Let's just say my LBS appreciates it when I do my own work.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=possumjenkins]
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    I really don't mean anything derogatory against DNA, but everytime I've been in there, I get the feeling that no one wants to give me the time of day unless I'm going to drop a lot of money. Maybe I just picked off days to visit, but most shops have great employees and @$$holes. I find it depends on the customer attitude more than anything. Being in the customer service industry for over a decade has definitely taught me that. (not saying the OP did anything to spark such poor service)
    just my $0.02.[/QUOTE

My sentiments exactly... i have spent about 5k in that shop since Nov and as long as i buy something they are cool.

Just out of curiousity I keep hearing about this Slippery Pig in FH where is it??? I have lived in FH for 25years and know of every shop in town but I cannot locate this shop....
    Maybe it's wrong, but I feel that if you are a loyal shop guy and don't chisel them on everything and allow them their profit, you are rewarded with excellent service, even late.....even on Saturday afternoon.....or perhaps even Sundays. DNA will even take a bike off the stand and put mine up (as long as the guy whose bike it is is not there)

You are greeted with a smile and hey (your name here) how is it? I may pay a tiny bit more than a chiseler but I get what I want when I need it.

Steve

My other ride is your mom
    [QUOTE=chipolopolo]

Maybe it's wrong, but I feel that if you are a loyal shop guy and don't chisel them on everything and allow them their profit, you are rewarded with excellent service, even late.....even on Saturday afternoon.....or perhaps even Sundays. DNA will even take a bike off the stand and put mine up (as long as the guy whose bike it is is not there)

You are greeted with a smile and hey (your name here) how is it? I may pay a tiny bit more than a chiseler but I get what I want when I need it.

Steve

No...you're not. Some shops take that profit, and then take some more. I'm not going to name names...but if you've ridden with me and talked with me about how I got into this money suck....then you know......I think the real answer is a roll of the dice, unfortunately. There are many folks that don't know customer service who work at shops, and turn many folks away.....which leaves a shopper such as myself and the OP awash on the seas of other business......the key here is to not stop paddling because you will find a shore....and that is the shore that becomes your LBS.

Long story short.....LBS's are formed because of an unhappy customer from somewhere else.........Jesus....if I could bottle that, I'd be a rich man!

For the record......I found my LBS after the process which I outlined above....and I still stick with them, even when they don't hit my expectations.......and when I find myself there......I bring them a pack of beer....and it's all right again.

I think, in the end...folks who ***** about bikeshops are the kind of folks who complain about the nature of the dish which is handed to them at a nice place of eating.....they can never be satisfied yet don't really know how to make themselves happy.......

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Maadjurguer]
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo

No...you're not. Some shops take that profit, and then take some more. I'm not going to name names...but if you've ridden with me and talked with me about how I got into this money suck....then you know......I think the real answer is a roll of the dice, unfortunately. There are many folks that don't know customer service who work at shops, and turn many folks away.....which leaves a shopper such as myself and the OP awash on the seas of other business......the key here is to not stop paddling because you will find a shore....and that is the shore that becomes your LBS.

Long story short.....LBS's are formed because of an unhappy customer from somewhere else.........Jesus....if I could bottle that, I'd be a rich man!

For the record......I found my LBS after the process which I outlined above....and I still stick with them, even when they don't hit my expectations.......and when I find myself there......I bring them a pack of beer....and it's all right again.

I think, in the end...folks who ***** about bikeshops are the kind of folks who complain about the nature of the dish which is handed to them at a nice place of eating.....they can never be satisfied yet don't really know how to make themselves happy.......
    Maad,

There is a world of difference between allowing them their profit and you being taken advantage of. If your "money suck" got out of control, well......buyer beware. If a shop is competitive and the service outstanding, I'll give them their delta in price. I am an extremely busy person, If I find I cannot get my brakes to quit rubbing on a Saturday afternoon. And the shop at Bell and I17 is my shop , I'm well..... screwed for Sunday if I don't have a back up. I can get in to ANY DNA as long as they are open and get it fixed whilst there.

Quid Pro Quo, Maad, no argument, there are some thieves out there, when I find the "sweetspot" I stick to it.

DNA gave me a Roubaix for a week then a Tarmac for a week to help me make my decision on my new RB. That is service and trust that deserves my loyalty.

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by chipolopolo; 04-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    so problem solved.... I went to the slippery pig in FH yesterday and made friends with the owner Doug. Super nice guy! fantastic attitude! great customer service! and its a cool shop more focused on service, customer needs and usuable parts/accesories than 10k carbon fiber toys for the yuppies in scottsdale.... i would rather pay this shop to fix my bike than get it done for free at another shop who promised me free tune up's but cant make good on their work. nough said about all that! thanks for all the input from everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0