Thread: Layering

Meatbomb

Layering

I struggle this time of year with keeping myself warm without getting so hot I start to sweat real heavy and then that causes me to get colder... Recommendations for layering ?

Wool ?

I roast on the climbs and freeze on the descents

What works for you guys ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

What works for you guys ?
    Riding when it's between 75 and 85 outside. I perfer not to freeze/overheat.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    I use a couple of light layers of synthetic (techwick plus a long sleeve jersey), then add a *breathable* *windproof* shell. This works for me in wide range of conditions, 40s down into the 20s. I stay warm and dry, uphill and downhill.

For my bottom half I wear shorts (nickerson actually) down to mid-30s, below that add leg warmers.

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Riding when it's between 75 and 85 outside. I perfer not to freeze/overheat.

I hear ya there but those days are about to be limited... I do much better in the heat than in the cold.

mtbr member
    I hear ya there but those days are about to be limited... I do much better in the heat than in the cold.
    Say what? Why the **** did I move to Phoenix then?

I too struggle with this. I stick to the arm/knee warmers, and jacket. I find that 10 mins into a ride, I'm plenty warm.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Ahhh the pain....
    I do a similar thing as cdouble... C9 base layer from Target, short sleeve jersey over that, light jacket over that. On the bottom, down to about 45, I just put on long socks. Below 45, the leg warmers come out.
    Before climbs, I always unzip and try to get more circulation.
    Beyond that, just man up.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by cdouble View Post
    I use a couple of light layers of synthetic (techwick plus a long sleeve jersey), then add a *breathable* *windproof* shell. This works for me in wide range of conditions, 40s down into the 20s. I stay warm and dry, uphill and downhill.

For my bottom half I wear shorts (nickerson actually) down to mid-30s, below that add leg warmers.

cdouble
    Good advice.

I prefer arm warmers over a long sleeved jersey since I can pull them down if I get too warm without too much trouble. The windproof breathable shell is a must and I like a full zipper riding jersey. They both give you lots of options to vary your core temperature (zipper up or down) without too much inconvenience.

This morning was very nice! I wore a base layer, a jersey and a shell with arm warmers. 1st time this year I broke out the leg warmers - and the smart wool socks!

The best way to "get used to" the temps is to ride often and ride year around!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

parenting for gnarness
    drink a big mug of HTFU.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    that's what my mom told me too.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    drink a big mug of HTFU.
    what does the H stand for? I always knew is as

No Clue Crew
    I'm about to go riding.here in Vegas where the temp when I wake up will be near or below freezing. And Vegas is ALWAYS windy which makes it worse.

When it gets cold I'll wear a base layer shirt over my elbow/forearm pads with a long sleeve jersey over that. My knee & shin guards are usually ample for keeping my legs warm. But, so far this year I've only ridden down to 40.

My big problem is my hands! I rode last weekend in Cottonwood at about 40 and had a pair of Under Armor gloves on under my riding gloves and I could barely feel my fingers. I stopped to session a spot and they finally started to warm up 'cause the tech section had me holding on a luttle tighter and moving around more.

I just bought a new pair of gloves from REI last night. If yoy believe the package they'll keep me warm to -5. I don't buy that but if they work down to 30 I'll be happy. If needed I may wear the Under Armor gloves under them as well. Haven't decided if I'll wear the base layer pants or not...

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    what does the H stand for? I always knew is as

Here:
    Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    buck up and get some Merino wool, it's amazing stuff.
    Check my pulse...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    wow,, this is without a doubt the crappiest day i've seen since i moved here...

Meatbomb
    you're going to really hate January.. thats when we get about 90% of our yearly rain fall

My other ride is your mom
    I just rode a modified quad route...got in a snow flurry at Toms Thumb Pass...rain lower down on the HAB....trails were SUPER Tacky coming down Toms...wingate too....come to think of it...Bell too!

This time of year is awesome!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    you're going to really hate January.. thats when we get about 90% of our yearly rain fall
    thats okay,, i've been meaning to hook up the Wii or playstation eventually.
    nov and dec is just 80 hour workweeks though, so if i can find time for 1 ride a week i'll be good

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get some wool panties, that should keep your ***** warm.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Get some wool panties, that should keep your ***** warm.
    and you wonder you only have 4 reps

Ahhh the pain....
    I rode through the mother of all hail storms out at BCT this morning...wow!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    and you wonder you only have 4 reps
    4? Holy crap I thought I was still at 3! Meh, it's all in fun. It's hard not to give you valley people a little bit of a hard time. It hit's 60 and folks down there are freezing cold. It's funny to observe when you are used to a colder climate. That being said I don't go out in the middle of the day here in Flagstaff once we are around 80 degrees during the summer. I shut down in heat that many from Pheonix might consider cool.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I rode through the mother of all hail storms out at BCT this morning...wow!

Are you dented from the hail?

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I'm about to go riding.here in Vegas where the temp when I wake up will be near or below freezing. And Vegas is ALWAYS windy which makes it worse.
    Vegas is not "ALWAYS" windy, matter of fact it seems like it's only windy when YOU are here....
    Sounds like a bunch of you need to HTFU and ride harder which warms you up
    And always start out "cool" and you'll find that you'll end up being almost perfect for the ride
    I dig dirt!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Vegas is not "ALWAYS" windy
    It's windy a lot more days than not... Yesterday was a windy SOB. I hope today stays calm 'cause I'm gonna be in a lift for 5 hours in 40 degree weather taking photos at the Rock n Roll tonight.

Bone Crusher was AWESOME this morning!

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    From 45 and up I just wear my normal summer time gear ....I warm up after 10 min and am good to go...... , under 40 down to 25 I just wear one layer of "Under armor" gear ( amazing stuff by the way , 10 times better that the imitation stuff that claim its as good as Under Armor.

I also use the Hammer booties that go over your socks in your shoes and I use rubber surgical gloves under my gloves and I also Have the full face Under Armor head warmer and I stay just right !!

Meatbomb
    under 45 I never get out of bed....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    under 45 I never get out of bed....
    I am a 4th generation AZ native american and really can't take the cold at all , but I gota say that I think that 45 to 50 degrease is a really good temp ..., ( as long as its not down pouring rain and or the wind is not blowing too badly ).

I complain when I first start out , and I think I can't make it in the beginning but it really is great once you get going .

I love riding in the heat better , but the cold can be equally as good if you can just drive yourself through the first 10 min or so and you have the correct moisture wicking clothes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    ...the cold can be equally as good if you can just drive yourself through the first 10 min or so and you have the correct moisture wicking clothes
    Yep. Riding in the cold is just a matter of attitude and proper clothing. Like others have said, layer with good wicking clothing and start off a bit cooler than you think is comfortable and you'll be good.

Going to be near zero F here tomorrow morning. I'll just be dreaming of mid-forties for the next 4 months......but still riding.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No Clue Crew
    Just got back from Vegas and while I was there hit Cowboy Trails and Bone Shaker again. Started out at 27 at 7:45a. I had on a light base layer pants and shirt, normal shorts & shirt, knee, shin & elbow pads, beanie, my new gloves I picked up from REI and my Race Face jacket. Not too long into the ride I was plenty warm, even my hands, and when I ended at 11:45a and 47 I was slightly warm and took everything off except the shorts & shirt and found that I had sweated like a pig under it all. I was never warm, though. Still sweated... I think 50 to 60 is darn near perfect.