"Latest" Prescott Area Trail Map- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"Latest" Prescott Area Trail Map

What's the best Mountain Bike trail map for the Prescott area? I saw this one in the sticky post.

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/

Its a really good detailed resource, but its almost a little too detailed when trying to understand or plan out a ride. Especially if you are new to the trail system.

Is there a good central collection of typical ride maps (Like Dales), google earth routes or mapmyride type maps for the area?

Master Gardener
    Raven Singletrack sells maps in all the shops. They were the product of our first crack ever at mapping but we're going to completely redo them this Fall. They're still pretty badass and we only left out a handful of the nicer trails in the area.

The City of Prescott has a really great map of trails, but it doesn't extend out into the Forest far enough to include some of the really great rides. It does cover all the great rides closer to town, though. And it's a slick map. And FREE. Those are available in all the bike shops, as well.

Trail Monger
    BTW, what does the Prescott trails look right now? I heard there was one hell of a down pour yesterday. What is the weekend outlook? Thanks...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, there are a few things you can do.

One thing is to buy a local hiking-guide book. I have one and it details most of the local trails with topo maps. It's not as "busy" as the sharot-hall maps, so possibly that can help to figure out which trail is which.

Two, learn how to read topo maps. We have quite a few fall-line trails and sections. Guess what fall-line means? It means a long pile of rocks where the trees and bushes do not happen to be growing. The steeper it is, the more it's going to be like this. Looking over the Sharlot maps you'll notice that there are sections that go straight up. Usually avoid these. The Sharlot maps are updated as new trails are added or re-routed.

Three, go out and explore. You won't know if it's really good unless you ride it, there are lots of bigger rides out here possible. Not everyone will be perfect singletrack, but you can make some pretty awesome routes. You will screw up occasionally, but that's all part of the game.

I've seen various local maps, the Raven ones, the Granite Basin ones, etc. They are usually not very comprehensive and I don't know how good they are for figuring out which trails to link for bigger rides. Honestly I think the Sharlot map is best for that. I save the topos, put them together in my paintshop program, and then crop to the ride I want to do. I rarely have to do this anymore, but I still do for a few things way out in the Bradshaws or for other people. It sounds like the Raven map will get even better, and I don't want to make it sound like you can't use those resources, but if you've seen them and still want to try and ride more, that's where your imagination and the Sharlot maps are handy.

Trails are great right now. Some nice tacky spots in the ravines and in certain places. 374 was pretty darn tacky this evening. If anything it will go back to being a little dry/dusty shortly. As an example of what you can do, I just rode up Schoolhouse Gulch (67), 396, 299, 9854J, 62, 126, little housing development to Senator Highway. Feldmire (not named, but starts at the Gravel Pit along Senator Highway) 374, and back to where I started. The only crappy part of the ride is going up the very first part of 299, check out the topos and you'll see why. Other than that, it's a nice fun ride, and that's the great thing about riding out here, you can put together small rides or big rides with upwards of 50 miles. You can do relatively flat stuff or 5000+K of vertical. The sky is the limit.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Master Gardener
    What he said ^^^. Also, even after the most major downpours here, the trails are 100% rideable (with only a couple exceptions) within 24 hours and they return to bone dry within 3-4 days of sunshine and a warm breeze.

Tucson, AZ
    Love the maps! We were able to do some sweet riding on Mingus this past weekend, largely in part to the aforementioned map. I think we did just about every major trail on that mountain, even Coyote Springs

mtbr member
    Nice AZepic, but I bet you mist the super fun stuff .
    SHITBIRD

Tucson, AZ
    We rode 105 and 28 and Black Canyon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any guide book recommendations.. and how about a nice 15 mile loop recommendation.

Trail Monger
    Around a month ago I rode what seemed 20mi at Granite Basin. I started at the Metate TH and rode something to 349. Then I rode south to 346. I hooked up with 347 to some odd entrance. I rode it back to 341. 341 was a waste of time but it was interesting to say the least. Finally I got back to 346 and roller coastered all the way down to 345 Mint wash. Mint wash sucked alittle but was okay. The high was under 80' and low was 60 when I started. It sure beats Surprise AZ where I started from. Those trails are really fun rides going the counter-clockwise direction I figured I was going. I can't wait to do it again...Any takers???

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I've had the same experience with sharlot maps. I wish all forest trail systems were organized like that.
    It'd be nice if you could comment on the trails on the website!
    And filter out based on trail criteria, ie, highlight the single track

JAyem, I agree with you on 299, while it might be fun on a Moto going up, it's a baby-head nightmare going up on a bike. Are there any trails on spruce that are not infested with baby heads?

Over the Hill
    Here are a few maps from the FS Website.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/rec...bradsahw.shtml

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    I've had the same experience with sharlot maps. I wish all forest trail systems were organized like that.
    And filter out based on trail criteria, ie, highlight the single track

That was the initial idea with the Raven Singletrack maps, and also the source of the few criticisms I've heard about them. That is, we wanted to create a map that excluded all of the crappy trails and crappy forest roads and have a mountain bike-specific map for mountain bikers, by mountain bikers. But then people point out that not all Prescott area trails are on the maps. This is tru.e

Time has shown that all of the crappy trails and crap roads that may not be that fun to ride... well we do ride them all the time to be able to connect two otherwise separate trail systems, i.e. to get from one side of town to the other. So the next generation of maps will move more in that direction probably.

mtbr member
    Great. Thanks for the info. So as an incentive to actually get me to Prescott with my bike [to buy a map]....what's a good introductory ride in the Prescott Area? 10 - 15 "Intermediate Type" miles. Some climbing, but not too crazy?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Great. Thanks for the info. So as an incentive to actually get me to Prescott with my bike [to buy a map]....what's a good introductory ride in the Prescott Area? 10 - 15 "Intermediate Type" miles. Some climbing, but not too crazy?
    305 out (up) and back (down). About 14 miles round-trip.

On way into town, look for Costco on the left, make that left and go up about a half-mile. TH is on the right. Park there, look for the 305, and go.

Great ride.
    Ride more; post less...

Master Gardener
    Another good ride that would be easy to find and navigate because there are great maps online already is the Whiskey Off-Road 15-mile course. You'll find maps on the Epic Rides WOR website. That allows you to park in town and ride from your car.

Or, if your tires are allergic to pavement and you'd rather do 100% dirt...

Another option is to arm yourself with any decent map and head into the Granite Basin area. You can easily put together 10-15 miles in there, though you may have to ride 1-2 short segments of trail twice in order to do it. GB is a cross-country singletrack playland

Elitest thrill junkie
    My tires are allergic to pavement.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Shred...it's the new drug
    Bahloney, I've seen you pedal up 89a before!!!

Master Gardener
    My tires see lots of pavement. The alternative is to spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my car with the bike on the roof.

I have seen you riding pavement quite a bit, Jayem... and your tires get all blotchy and start sneezing out Stan's. It ain't pretty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Bahloney, I've seen you pedal up 89a before!!!
    Ya, but I was on the dirt by then!

Trail Monger
    Granite Basin- Any trail with 300 in it. I loved riding 349 to 346 to 347 and 345. Do it!

Members who have read this thread: 0