mtbr member

Last Chance for Papago

The third and final public workshop will take place Aug 19 and 20. See website for details, Please come help represent the MTB community and save our trails and freeride park. I will attend the Aug 19 meeting. Thanks
    http://www.discoverpapagopark.com/

Wednesday, August 19
    6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
    Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
    Community Center
    1880 N. Longmore Road
    Scottsdale, AZ 85256

Thursday, August 20
    10 a.m. to noon
    Desert Botanical Garden
    Dorrance Hall
    1201 N. Galvin Parkway
    Phoenix, AZ 85008
    Please use McDowell Road to access the Garden due to construction. There is no access to the Garden from Van Buren.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will be there on the 19th as well.

Shred...it's the new drug
    We had great momentum with the earlier thread and got alot of people to fill out surveys. Now if we get some faces in the crowd we can really make a difference. Each meeting is only about an hour and a half and really informative and they are really open to suggestion. So we need all you mtbr's to get out then and stand up for what you want!!! Time to let our voice be heard!!!!

Just a bump to the top of the forum. Don't forget to come on out and support your favorite little desert park. We need as many MTBR's as we can get to show support for this little gem in the middle of the city. Please help us out! Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Glad you guys can come out and represent! C-ball and MC are going to try to make it too. If you all cant make the meeting tonight or tomorrow am, and havent already done so, please fill out the survey at www.discoverpapagopark.com

mtbr member
    I filled out the survey, but the questions were a bit confusing. I did not see any references to mountainbiking in the questions. My own preference is to leave the trails as is. No more grooming (oh, and keep horses out of the park).
    Just Ride!

mtbr member
    My 8 mo old and I will be going to the Thursday morning meeting. Hope to see some mtnbikers out thar!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Just got back from the meeting and it was a good turn-out. They are finalizing the plan and on the trails segment of the meeting they are definetly looking to create sustainable, maintenanced, and a specific trail system that links up the entire park with maps and signage. If you are interested in giving more input to the group spearheading the master plan please please please fill out a survey HERE!!! We need all the mtbr's out there that use the park, thought about using the park, or who have never used the park to fill out surveys and let them know that sustainable, professional built trails by IMBA standards are needed to update the park and to bring new users in. It was great meeting supermoto and friend, good to finally put a face to an avatar We also met the head of the Tempe Parks and Recreation and pitched him the idea of a pumptrack. He was very receptive and is looking for examples of other city parks with pumptracks and bike parks. So post up your examples and I will include them in the email. Thanks, and Long Live Pappy!!!!

mtbr member
    Great meeting you Bob, and thanks for the work you are doing. Here is a nice layman's introduction to what a pump track is ;
    http://www.azcentral.com/video/?type...oID=1143555651
    I got the impression that we are being listened to and the final proposal seems to include plenty of trails that can be accessed by bikes. In your surveys, please also request that the mountain bike skills area between the water treatment plant and canal be preserved. Right now, that is designated as a preserved area on the master plan. Also I am hoping that these designated trails are not too sanitized and retain the technical features that make mountain biking fun.

Thanks to all attending todays meeting and to those filling out surveys. They are still accepting online surveys, so please do it if you havent done so!!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Just got back from the meeting and it was a good turn-out. They are finalizing the plan and on the trails segment of the meeting they are definetly looking to create sustainable, maintenanced, and a specific trail system that links up the entire park with maps and signage. If you are interested in giving more input to the group spearheading the master plan please please please fill out a survey HERE!!! We need all the mtbr's out there that use the park, thought about using the park, or who have never used the park to fill out surveys and let them know that sustainable, professional built trails by IMBA standards are needed to update the park and to bring new users in. It was great meeting supermoto and friend, good to finally put a face to an avatar We also met the head of the Tempe Parks and Recreation and pitched him the idea of a pumptrack. He was very receptive and is looking for examples of other city parks with pumptracks and bike parks. So post up your examples and I will include them in the email. Thanks, and Long Live Pappy!!!!

And, what is wrong with the existing trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    And, what is wrong with the existing trails?
    Absolutely nothing; but leaving the park alone is not an option that is on the planners' table.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    Absolutely nothing; but leaving the park alone is not an option that is on the planners' table.

Good answer!!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto

They should move to a new table then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    They should move to a new table then.

Good rebuttal!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    So I got some conflicting information at the meeting this AM. At the first table/station that I sat at I brought up the bike "skills area" that we have been pushing for, and how important it is to have a designated/recognized area for this. I also brought up the fact that their planning map has this area zoned as being preserved/protected. The guy running the table tells me that they purposely left this area zoned as preserved because the park wants to turn a blind eye to what happens at the skills area due to liability. They don't mind us being there, they just don't want anything to do with it.

That being said, after the meeting was over I was approached by Ranger Carpenter. She said that she overheard some of what I was saying and she thinks it a great idea that we have a recognized bike skills area. She thinks that we would have much greater success at accomplishing our goal if we just work directly with the Parks and Rec. She says that we need to form a group, put together a proposal and present it to Parks and Rec. She says that if the cost is low and we can supply volunteer labor, then there should be no reason why we can't get it done! She wrote down some names of people that are higher up than she so that we can contact them once we have everything together.

Latedropbob, I know that you are already working with someone from Parks and Rec, perhaps you can bounce this off of him. I'd love for a bunch of us to get together a work up a proposal on our own. I'm sure that my wife wouldn't mind having people over to work on this.

Thnks Supermoto for your efforts in this all!

The area needs to be recognized! Thoughts...? Comments...?

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Spiders, I too spoke with Carpenter and the Parks and Rec manager from Tempe. I think we should figure out who is interested in creating a commitee to organize our efforts, either to create a group or work with and existing group (Tempe Bicycle Action Group, who said they were interested in helping) to get some numbers behind this idea. In the mean time lets gather some information on other city bike skills parks that we can email to the Parks and Rec manager to give him an idea of what we are looking at. For the naysayers, please keep your non-productive comments to yourselves as they are not-needed. We only need motivated, positive people willing to work towards a new area for us and new riders to build their skills!!! We can do it! Post up so we can build an email list to start getting everyone organized.

mtbr member
    Definately sounds like a plan Latedropbob! We'll get this rolling one way or another. It is important that this area has official recognition, especially since it appears as being zoned as a "preserved area" on the proposed master plan! I'll PM you later with my 411.
    Viva el Papago!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Bob, let me know if you guys organize something. I have been a big fan of riding papago for years. Unfortunately, I could not make the meeting but will do my best in the future. Good to see you last night at pumptrack too!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Spiders, I too spoke with Carpenter and the Parks and Rec manager from Tempe. I think we should figure out who is interested in creating a commitee to organize our efforts, either to create a group or work with and existing group (Tempe Bicycle Action Group, who said they were interested in helping) to get some numbers behind this idea. In the mean time lets gather some information on other city bike skills parks that we can email to the Parks and Rec manager to give him an idea of what we are looking at. For the naysayers, please keep your non-productive comments to yourselves as they are not-needed. We only need motivated, positive people willing to work towards a new area for us and new riders to build their skills!!! We can do it! Post up so we can build an email list to start getting everyone organized.

yes, because dissenting opinion has no place in this world.

Lets get it going Spiders! I'll be out of town for a few days, but when I get back maybe we get together and sit down and draw up an actual plan.Tmarkos, thanks for the links keep'm coming. AZDog, we'll keep you in the loop! Anyone else looking to help, post it up! Lets get some momentum going!!!

mtbr member
    L and I are in for proposing, planning, and building! Thanks for representing on Thursday, Spiders!

Members who have read this thread: 0