Lake Powell Advice - Not MTB Related- Mtbr.com

Lake Powell Advice - Not MTB Related

Hey everyone,

Not MTB related but hoping I can get some advice. I'm looking into planning my bachelor party and want to do it on Lake Powell. I'm getting married late May 2019 so we would have to go either April or Early May.

Anyone know what its like on Lake Powell during those dates? Is it even worth looking into?

Thanks in advance!

recovering roadie
    The weather would probably be good (it just depends if there's a storm system passing through), but the water will be cold. My favorite time of year is late September and October because the weather has cooled and the water is still warm.

Thanks Dobbs. There are a lot of times Id rather go but our times are pretty limited and we can't pull together something that quick to go in the next couple of months.

I'm not too worried about the cold water. I grew up in Minnesota and would go wakeboarding in 50 degree water pretty regularly.

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by A10MileHusker View Post
    Thanks Dobbs. There are a lot of times Id rather go but our times are pretty limited and we can't pull together something that quick to go in the next couple of months.

I'm not too worried about the cold water. I grew up in Minnesota and would go wakeboarding in 50 degree water pretty regularly.
    It sounds like you're in for a good time at Lake Powell in the spring!

Meatbomb
    I have a cruiser in Wahweap. We typically boat Sept - July and stay off the lake during the heat and crowds of summer.

Like said before the weather will be fine but the water will be chilly (not MN chilly).
    A real advantage to going in May is the availability of beach spots and no crowds or big wind events.

I assume you will be renting a house boat... If so you may be able to negotiate a better deal due to being off season. It never hurts to ask. If they won't budge on the cost ask for items like a freezer to be thrown on the bow at no cost. Ice is nice when up lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Powell Advice - Not MTB Related-dominguze.jpg  

mtbr member
    I love going in May....just as long as I'm off the lake before the Memorial Day kooks get out there. I don't find the water "cold" at all but I have a decent layer of "protection" I guess. Compared to deep in the Summer, the place will be deserted. I didn't realize you could "negotiate" with the Park Service vendors but not a bad idea I guess. Thankfully, our buddies houseboat has a commercial ice maker so we don't have those issues any more To be honest, I miss the old days and the Captain's Class houseboats.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Meatbomb
    The Admirals....