mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Lake Pleasant riding ant RV Camping

Hey all! I'm looking to head up to Lake Pleasant this weekend to do some camping and riding. Just curious if anyone has any insider information as to where a good place to camp would be and also which trails to ride? I see trailforks has some stuff listed on the west side of the lake which I intended on riding. https://www.trailforks.com/region/lake-pleasant/ I see there are 2 campgrounds i could possibly stay at, the Desert Tortoise and Roadrunner Campgrounds. They appear to accept RV's but wondering if mine may be to big. I have a 25ft rv and i'm fine with dry camping as well if there is somewhere further north to stay which still has close or immediate bike access.

Anyway, any info where to camp and what to ride is appreciated. I dont mind driving to the trailhead but would much prefer hop on the trail right from camp if possible.

mtbr member
    Not sure on sizing of the spots- but call the park and ask for that. As far as good spots near trails- Roadrunner is basically at the bottom of the park trail system, and is a good spot. Desert Tortoise is right on the trail as well (within 25' at one point).

From the map you can ride all the trails on the West side of the lake. At the very south (botom end) it meets with the Maricopa Trail, which opens up some more mileage. Also a short drive away from the lake (or ride depending on how fit) is the Emory Henderson TH for the Black Canyon Trail.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Desert Tortoise is good place to stay, fits MoHo's and easy access to Wild Burro trail. The bummer is the floating bridge north on Pipeline Canyon got destroyed last summer. Guessing the water level is still up high enough that you can't get across the canyon on foot so north part of Pipeline Canyon Trail is cut off from riding. Still worth riding down to where the bridge was and turning around. Then head south of the campground on Wild Burro/Beardsley. Either turn around at the Agua Fria or continue on by catching the Maricopa Trail up to the Pleasant Harbor RV Park and turning around there.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Hey all! I'm looking to head up to Lake Pleasant this weekend to do some camping and riding. Just curious if anyone has any insider information as to where a good place to camp would be and also which trails to ride? I see trailforks has some stuff listed on the west side of the lake which I intended on riding. https://www.trailforks.com/region/lake-pleasant/ I see there are 2 campgrounds i could possibly stay at, the Desert Tortoise and Roadrunner Campgrounds. They appear to accept RV's but wondering if mine may be to big. I have a 25ft rv and i'm fine with dry camping as well if there is somewhere further north to stay which still has close or immediate bike access.

Anyway, any info where to camp and what to ride is appreciated. I dont mind driving to the trailhead but would much prefer hop on the trail right from camp if possible.
    If I might throw out a suggestion;

Cave Creek Regional Park, just a bit to the east on the other side of the I-17, has a very nice campground for tents and motor homes (and everything in between), and has a ton of trails right out the north side as well. I still have yet to make it out to Lake Pleasant to ride and I hear it's nice as well.

Let us know how your experience at Lake Pleasant is, I have a pop up camper and want to get out there as well.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    All loaded up and lake pleasant bound.

Going to just dry camp along the shore somewhere and then find the west lake side trails to ride.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Desert Tortoise is good place to stay, fits MoHo's and easy access to Wild Burro trail. The bummer is the floating bridge north on Pipeline Canyon got destroyed last summer. Guessing the water level is still up high enough that you can't get across the canyon on foot so north part of Pipeline Canyon Trail is cut off from riding. Still worth riding down to where the bridge was and turning around. Then head south of the campground on Wild Burro/Beardsley. Either turn around at the Agua Fria or continue on by catching the Maricopa Trail up to the Pleasant Harbor RV Park and turning around there.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^.

I rode out there in January and the Pipeline Canyon bridge was still out. But lots of good trail options to the south of the bridge as mentioned by gasmanxj. IMO the trails to the west and south of Lake Pleasant are under appreciated. Have a great time.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall